Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

I feel your pain bro...faced with a similar dilemma awhile back...weighed my options and long term pros and cons...

Back in home country now...living a good life with many benefits...I will miss "Thainess" though...It become a daily adventure to see if I could spot the scam/corruption before they got my baht...

Good Luck on whatever you decide...

Must be missing something though if you're still hanging around a Thailand expats forum. ?

Someone has to add some realism into the discussions...warped out of shape by Thai apologists like yourself...

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this a year ago?

Still here, Canadian dollar is slowly crawling back and I got married.

My health is going down the toilet and doctors here suck. They just don't listen.

I will fire up my wife's insurance card and go to Bumrungrad, but to be honest I would rather deal with doctors in Canada that listen, that aren't afraid to be challenged and admit they aren't know it all.

I see this thread also took a turn and is back on topic.... the price of beer in Thailand vs West.

Yeah... I notice the price of crap in Thailand is cheaper.

I do admit that salad bars at gourmet market and S Pyre chicken (which is supposed to be organic) are about 80% cheaper than in Canada. I started cooking and eating more healthy. Most restaurants here suck.

Carry on.....

For poor fuys but with few pounds in pocket Thailand can be cheap ef they prefer Thai food, and etc.

Western food is very cheap, if you cook it yourself.
Cook its work;)

Not all like.

And how its be cheap if many its be imported.. even meat.

Just not tell me can cook western food and used Thai beef etc:)

Those of you who claim beer is more expensive here - can you point me in the direction of a pub in London where I can get a pint for £2? It'll come in handy next time I'm back there.

2 do not remember but 3-3.5 in many place. Even some domestic beer remember try near £2.5.

In Thailand in supermarcket even some times more hight.

Show me where in Bangkok have bear 150-170 bath. In bar as London pub.

And please.

London be in TOP 5 expensive CITY in the World.

In UK have pub not only in London.

And Europe have many country.

As German,Belgium,Czech

;)

After four years I would have to say for me anyway...

Electricity here is much cheaper.
Eating out at restaurants is much cheaper

Housing is a wash as we own our home back where we came from

& we own our condo here ( actually just sold as we decided to move back for a few years)

But yes housing here is 3x cheaper than where I hail from at least

But other than that I would have to say freedom is much cheaper here

I also think if most are honest this is what attracts them ( well for single guys I am sure girls are high on list but I am married) smile.png

But yes freedom here is cheaper...

Freedom from taxes

Freedom from Nanny States

Freedom from excessive cops on roads laying in wait to ticket you etc

( But of course this has a high cost with Thailand roads being 2nd most dangerous in world)

I don't know about others but it is not so much prices that I love about Thailand as much as the freedoms

& the Thai people I also enjoy very very much.

Thai people IMHO are just basically nice (yes put them behind tinted windows & a steering wheel & that changes a bunch) But overall great nice people. For me a joy to live with

& interact with. I love having conversations with them & they are always so curious about where I am from how we lived there, what we ate etc.etc.

So yes I have not found Thailand too expensive Financially.

But like any place of course it has its good & bad points.

But as far as I can tell prices was not one of them...yet anyways & I am not a rich person per se'

Edited by mania

Freedom from taxes

You get income in Thailand and after for tgis is money live?

An its be witg out taxing?

Hope you give back passport your country and get Thailand passport.

Another way its only hypocrisy.

Pc

What country its much more highest beef steak ?;) in Thai it 500-900bath.

Cheapest?:)

Edited by ardokano

I do admit that salad bars at gourmet market and S Pyre chicken (which is supposed to be organic) are about 80% cheaper than in Canada.

That's it then, sold! You sure made my mind up about living here permanently or not, the salad bars at Gourmet Market are cheaper than Canada!

Beam me the f** up Scotty!

Freedom from taxes

Pc

What country its much more highest beef steak ?wink.png in Thai it 500-900bath.

Cgepest?smile.png

Hahaha income in Thailand? Where?

No I have never made any money here

Well actually they allow me 20k tax free interest at bank here per year per account.

I have 5 of them & they tell me when I am approaching 20k to just move to another in same bank thumbsup.gif

Now that is a freedom

No sorry I cannot give back my passport as I cannot be a man without a country

& since Thailand does not allow many converts I will have to keep mine wink.png

Also as I said we just sold our condo here & will move back to our home for 3-4 years

As I have some small relatives graduating from high & college & I would very much like to be

part of their lives at this moment.

After that who know?

Maybe back here maybe not thumbsup.gif

Edited by mania

Freedom from taxes

Pc

What country its much more highest beef steak ?wink.png in Thai it 500-900bath.

Cgepest?smile.png

Hahaha income in Thailand? Where?

No I have never made any money here

Well actually they allow me 20k tax free interest at bank here per year per account.

I have 5 of them & they tell me when I am approaching 20k to just move to another in same bank thumbsup.gif

Now that is a freedom

No sorry I cannot give back my passport as I cannot be a man without a country

& since Thailand does not allow many converts I will have to keep mine wink.png

Also as I said we just sold our condo here & will move back to our home for 3-4 years

As I have some small relatives graduating from high & college & I would very much like to be

part of their lives at this moment.

After that who know?

Maybe back here maybe not thumbsup.gif

So when you do it.(get income in Thailand)

Can some about "Freedom from tax"

;)

Not important how much you pay tax.

Importan how much you can leave in your pocket. And what you can by for it.

When you can buy "your style life" from Thai income and with out tax.

Its be honestly.

Now you pay your style life (even in Thailand) from taxible income your country and graduating for this is income I guess not in Thailand;)

Those of you who claim beer is more expensive here - can you point me in the direction of a pub in London where I can get a pint for £2? It'll come in handy next time I'm back there.

2 do not remember but 3-3.5 in many place. Even some domestic beer remember try near £2.5.

In Thailand in supermarcket even some times more hight.

Show me where in Bangkok have bear 150-170 bath. In bar as London pub.

And please.

London be in TOP 5 expensive CITY in the World.

In UK have pub not only in London.

And Europe have many country.

As German,Belgium,Czech

;)

No offence, but I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you saying you can't buy a beer for 170 baht in Bangkok? You can't be looking very hard. I rarely pay that much.

So when you do it.(get income in Thailand)

Can some about "Freedom from tax"

wink.png

Not important how much you pay tax.

Important how much you can leave in your pocket. And what you can by for it.

When you can buy "your style life" from Thai income and with out tax.

Its be honestly.

Now you pay your style life (even in Thailand) from taxable income your country and graduating for this is income I guess not in Thailand;)

555 I am sorry but I do not really understand what your saying

But yes here this is their law of not needing to pay taxes on interest received if

kept to 20k or less per year per account.

I was alerted to this by bankers I did not learn it myself.

Where I am from they want a piece/tax of everything period & not just while you live there

Our country may be the only one that also wants some no matter where you live (after a point)& could be

a big reason for stricter banking rules for foreigners in Thailand today

But never the less I obviously like both places as I now move back there in July

It is all good...Just different smile.png

Do your spreadsheets and give your partner a taste of Canadian freedom. Then you can make a good decision that suits you both. Your missus may well love the place. If you have any children it will be better for them in the long run to be raised in Canada.

I for one would love to live in Canada because of the crazy lovely Canadians I have met.

Lol, some strange/funny replies - do your homework and you can make a lot of money here.

Research, innovate and do, easy!

If you can't do that, live on what you have already made or if not, maybe the wrong place to be.

Lol, some strange/funny replies - do your homework and you can make a lot of money here.

If you can't do that, live on what you have already made or if not, maybe the wrong place to be.

It will be less tax than in other countries? except that the costs of the four thai employees in the company for get work permit?

PS

Yes small crime in Thailand more easy than in some another place.

It will be less tax than in other countries? except that the costs of the four thai employees in the company for get work permit?

PS

Yes small crime in Thailand more easy than in some another place.

couple cans short of a 6-pack?

Reminds me of the best price/quality buffet so far and it is not one of these crappy 100B Thaï buffets (I also guess these 100B buffets are no more 100B)

Buffet Vichy Blvd Neumann Montreal, 9.99 CND last September, incredible choice of foods.

I usually land at Dorval around lunchtime and get my ass over here immediately.

Reminds me of the best price/quality buffet so far and it is not one of these crappy 100B Thaï buffets (I also guess these 100B buffets are no more 100B)

Buffet Vichy Blvd Neumann Montreal, 9.99 CND last September, incredible choice of foods.

I usually land at Dorval around lunchtime and get my ass over here immediately.

OMG, Vichy. It's actually a chain and can be found in every part of Montreal suburb. Yes, it's a pretty good value for money (used to be $5.99 15 years ago when I frequented it).

To be fair it's $9.99 + tax + tip, so around $13.00. Also beverages are extra.

Ever tried St Hubert? Best BBQ Chicken on the planet. I usually finish it with pudding chomeur. Try it if you haven't.

This is one thing I missed when I moved from Montreal to Toronto. Food is extremely good in most restaurants in Montreal. I don't know why that is. Also French women are a lot more friendly than Ontario hags.

And then I moved to Thailand and started getting sick from the food.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

Yes sure, St Hubert and poutine, the Quebec version of Belgian fries...what about pâté Chinois?

But there are only two buffet Vichy's around Montréal, the Blv Neumann is the better one (Greek owners) luckily it's only a 5 minutes drive from my Montréal pied-à-terre...

Pudding chômeur? I must try that...

Every shopping mall now has a Thai Express fast food counter, not impressed.

Edited by tartempion

I think it is generally cheaper to live in Thailand in much the same way that it is generally cheaper to drive a C-series than an S-series.

C63 you think cheapest drive than S 250 CDI?

Need compare simular.

And Yes. Some style life cheapest in Thailand.

But sure its not western stile standarts in many way.

And sure not for fun car, meat and many another thinks.

I am Canadian and find it is still cheaper in thailand. Try and live in Canada on the same budget as Thailand and you will find it impossible. Bottles water is 2 dollars or 52 baht now. The baht is still good. I used to get 18 to the dollar for years. Also the dollar will be up by the end of the year when oil goes back up to $70, Canadian dollar is oil based.

Cell phone costs in Canada run over $300 a month thats pushing 10,00 baht for most every one I know there it is all on contract with the companies and need to sign up for 1 to 3 year terms. A minimum monthly payment plus time used.but phone is free.

Edited by lovelomsak

I am Canadian and find it is still cheaper in thailand. Try and live in Canada on the same budget as Thailand and you will find it impossible. Bottles water is 2 dollars or 52 baht now. The baht is still good. I used to get 18 to the dollar for years. Also the dollar will be up by the end of the year when oil goes back up to $70, Canadian dollar is oil based.

Cell phone costs in Canada run over $300 a month thats pushing 10,00 baht for most every one I know there it is all on contract with the companies and need to sign up for 1 to 3 year terms. A minimum monthly payment plus time used.but phone is free.

I cant remember how much be water. but go in internet...

24 * 500ml nestle pure life its 2.99 CAD.

Thailand 12* 600 its 60-50 B

750 m Perrier 1.24CAD

Thailand

750ml its 80..

SO what about you talking?

blink.png

For an US American it is always cheaper than for an European.

You know why? Because of your wage. Here is an example.

A doctor working full time including night shifts at a hospital gets around $3000 after tax in Germany. In the US, the same doctor would get like $6000 or even more after tax.

So, later, the German hospital doctor will get a pension of around $2200 while the US American may get like $4000 + all the money he could use to invest.

I think Thailand is more expensive than Germany but mainly because my own expectations of living are much higher.

But what's really eating into budget: School fees. If you have many children it is getting so expensive while in Germany it's absolutely free, on a higher level.

Also, for families, the health care is much cheaper and of higher standard.

After four years I would have to say for me anyway...

Electricity here is much cheaper.

Eating out at restaurants is much cheaper

Housing is a wash as we own our home back where we came from

& we own our condo here ( actually just sold as we decided to move back for a few years)

But yes housing here is 3x cheaper than where I hail from at least

But other than that I would have to say freedom is much cheaper here

I also think if most are honest this is what attracts them ( well for single guys I am sure girls are high on list but I am married) smile.png

But yes freedom here is cheaper...

Freedom from taxes

Freedom from Nanny States

Freedom from excessive cops on roads laying in wait to ticket you etc

( But of course this has a high cost with Thailand roads being 2nd most dangerous in world)

I don't know about others but it is not so much prices that I love about Thailand as much as the freedoms

& the Thai people I also enjoy very very much.

Thai people IMHO are just basically nice (yes put them behind tinted windows & a steering wheel & that changes a bunch) But overall great nice people. For me a joy to live with

& interact with. I love having conversations with them & they are always so curious about where I am from how we lived there, what we ate etc.etc.

So yes I have not found Thailand too expensive Financially.

But like any place of course it has its good & bad points.

But as far as I can tell prices was not one of them...yet anyways & I am not a rich person per se'

Word. The freedom. The freedom this country gives oneself is rarely and sadly diminishing but will be still there forever because the mentality/culture is different than our subservient to authority.

But what's really eating into budget: School fees. If you have many children it is getting so expensive while in Germany it's absolutely free, on a higher level.

Government school is free in Thailand too and a very small cost for foreign children.

Now if you want to compare private schools in Germany and Thailand, I suspect Thailand will be cheaper.

As for German government schools being on a higher level, just try one where 30% of the kids are from Syria.