Can't afford to live in Thailand anymore

theguyfromanotherforum

I live here extremely comfy on 19.000-25.000THB per month.
I have no children nor Thai wife/gf/keek/mia noi/parasite.
I live in a furnished 2-bedroom house with a/c near the beach in a lowkey chilled-out town [not in the sticks!].
I don't go out for farang food. I don't do whoring. I don't own a car.
I drink beer Leo al fresco with Thai friends at 52THB/bottle. We share food almost every day.
I travel every 3 months into neigbouring countries for at least 2 weeks.
I have my place cleaned every week [file under charity].
I have massages every week [file under charity].
All that for a max of 25.000THB/month.
I don't have to watch my expenses whatsoever. I can easily afford a triple of what I spend but I have everything I need with maximum 25.000.
Life is great. My medical bill for the last 5 years is as little as 5000THB which includes renewing of hepa-vaccinations. I am lucky too.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in a furnished 2-bedroom house with a/c near the beach in a lowkey chilled-out town [not in the sticks!].
I drink beer Leo al fresco with Thai friends at 52THB/bottle. We share food almost every day.

I don't have to watch my expenses whatsoever. I can easily afford a triple of what I spend but I have everything I need with maximum 25.000.
Life is great. My medical bill for the last 5 years is as little as 5000THB which includes renewing of hepa-vaccinations. I am lucky too.

Living the dream biggrin.png

Living the dream biggrin.png

down to earth, mindfull, lucid and not contaminated by vulgar consumerism. reality, not a dream :)

DtemJai

Posted 38 minutes ago

BS.........................>

no BS but then I don't do: Skydiving, Rock-Climbing, Deep Sea Diving, Shark Fighting, Squash, & Offshore Extreme Jet Ski Racing & Thai Girls. -;)

I'm not like you just like you are not like me. But I don't judge you nor call your interests BS.

This looks like a dividing theme, Thailand is out of the argument.

I just stop on the statement

to say the relation of parassite with the main body is 1:1, good in both directions and also Thailand could say the same in respect to foreigner, who is exploiting who? This is one the reason why symbiotics exist, like mia noi knows, none of both is better. I use to be carefull in a land where the sun runs in the opposite sky for about a third of year. Ego is marked by shadow and shadow often disappear and makes a sick foreigner. Or not?

I think we wandered away from the OP's "I can't afford to live in Thailand anymore." smile.png

I can understand the issues for people whose home currency and perhaps income has dropped a lot compared to the baht. In actual terms, I also see rising costs in Thailand even when denominated in baht.

For those with a modest income I feel bad.

I can't help but wonder if the value of the baht has anything to do with money laundering. It seems an awful lot of baht is purchased to build expensive things, especially commercial and multifamily buildings. I wonder how long that would last if the market began to think that the emperor has no clothes.

I recently bought a home just north of Chiang Mai, it's a seven year old 3 bed/3 bath single story house that has a superb garden measuring nearly one rai, my wife and I love the location and the house. Yes indeed the house is in my wife's name but I have a usufruct registered on the chanotte and anyway, I only paid THB 3mill. for the place so even if the government kicks me out tomorrow, no big deal (I thought I'd cover off those points first, before anyone else came along and tried to take the conversation down that road).

So for 3 million baht (or £63k) I have a superb home that I couldn't even begin to buy in the UK, even if I was so inclined, which I'm not. My point here is, how many other people would be willing to do as I have done, my guess is there's loads and that accounts for a large element of baht purchases, a consequence of which is a stronger baht. And let's face it, if a retired expat can't stump up 3 mill. baht plus 50k baht a month in living expenses, they probably shouldn't be here in the first place.

As a bi-product of buying my home I met the local landowner, a public figure of some repute and standing, a nice man with a great family. He in turn introduced me (by chance) to a Chinese Singaporean investor, Mr Lim, with whom he was in the process of setting up a deal to build houses, the landowner would supply the land, the investor the capital to build the houses, all very upmarket with prices circa THB 15 mill and up. The investor was very pleasant and when I asked him why Thailand and why not Singapore, the UK or elsewhere he simply said it was far easier for him to do business here and the country had better growth potential and less debt, all said very matter of factually. So here we have it again, another reason why the baht is getting stronger, because people are investing here.

So why are people investing here and why are westerners buying homes here? Climate, cost of living (50k baht a month buys me a very pleasant existence where I want for nothing, albeit I don't do the bar/bar fine thing and I live just outside a tourist destination), security (the government is not going to kick out expat retirees, end of. And the crime thingy is way overdone), decent quality shopping with plenty of choice (no it's not London but I don't need it to be), good quality health care (Mrs CM just had two days in Suan Doc having here gall bladder removed, I was most impressed and found no difference between the Provincial Hospital and RAM), and so on.

As for the investment "why": it's clear from his posts that NS will never believe any "fact" regarding the Thai economy, "the balance sheet is not transparent, not verifiable, it's all smoke and mirrors", he will say, so be it. But I think there's better than a reasonable chance that Thailand has near zero unemployment, has extremely low debt, excellent export potential, has substantial reserves, no labor/union problems and importantly, doesn't have an "I'm entitled" problem amongst its population. Contrast those things with some countries in the West and the reason why money is flowing into Thailand and why the Baht is so strong becomes more clear.

And whilst this thread is about Thailand being too expensive, the message for many expats is clear: if you don't trust the country and all that entails, it follows that you you wont invest here hence the old line of , "never invest more in Thailand than you can afford to loose". The other side of that coin however is that if you don't invest, one day you may not be able to afford to live here.

Right, blast away,.

The property price issue is the only bog difference I believe. That said I dont live in London so can buy elsewhere. London property is a planet to itself.

But the market in Thailand is very fickel and has no bottom. The supply of houses isn't limited in Thailand so it is no store of value at all.horses for courses.

I would have to say in many ways Australia is actually cheaper than Thailand.

Im here on a year long work assignment in Sydney Australia.

As for Thailand I was shocked to see many monthly electricity bills basically the same as mine in Australia.

As for fruit I can get a lot cheaper in Australia as they sell by the kilo rather than paying per piece.

Cans of tuna either the same price or cheaper in Australia.

Coffee cheaper in Australia,a 200gm jar from 80baht

Water free by the tap.

2 litre milk in Australia $2...= about 75 baht.

Bacon and cold meats..cheese cheaper in Australia.24 cheese slices from 70baht.

Obviously thai takeaway is more expensive but have found places here in Sydney that sell thai food for under 90 baht a plate.and big portions.

to compare the prices of australia and thailand is simply ridicoulous. australia is one of the most expensive countries in the world, similar to norway or sweden. thailand is still one of the cheapest countries. (only myanmar is cheaper, a teacher there earns 100 us dollar a month)

the mayority in thailand lives more or less happily with less than 300 us dollar a month.(everything included, rent, electric, school, doctor, clothing, transport, 2 children...)

i agree australia is cheaper for bacon ,cheese ,fruit from paddys market ,quality beer stellar box for 35 dollars, you can find a Massage in sydney for the same price as bkk these days About 100 Aud per half hour (naughty).

there is earning potention in australia with average salary about 1000 aud per week .

There is a growing why bother factor contributing to live long term in thailand (visas, atm fees, baht to strong) and im now seeing it as a two week million air destination or a place for overstaying long term alcoholics who cannot make it back home so they stay for the cheap whisky ,women and warm weather o

Edited by Rangsitreppin

The Euro has been artificially high from the day it crossed par w the dollar and is only now being repriced

If interest rates start to rise in the US, the rest of the world is in trouble

With China slowing down, and their us reserves at $1.4 trillion, investment in housing in the north of Thailand and south of Laos will continue but,

Inflation is hitting Thailand,

And will rise

The peg to the dollar makes it seem like a bargain to Americans

A $5.00/ taxi ride in Thailand is $50.00-$70 in the US

A 2 hour massage $10 in Thailand to $120 in the us unless its a hotel then its double

Food?

Restaurant in US, 4 times Thailand

Grocery stores equal

I think we wandered away from the OP's "I can't afford to live in Thailand anymore." smile.png

I can understand the issues for people whose home currency and perhaps income has dropped a lot compared to the baht. In actual terms, I also see rising costs in Thailand even when denominated in baht.

I can't help but wonder if the value of the baht has anything to do with money laundering. It seems an awful lot of baht is purchased to build expensive things, especially commercial and multifamily buildings. I wonder how long that would last if the market began to think that the emperor has no clothes.

I recently bought a home just north of Chiang Mai, it's a seven year old 3 bed/3 bath single story house that has a superb garden measuring nearly one rai, my wife and I love the location and the house. Yes indeed the house is in my wife's name but I have a usufruct registered on the chanotte and anyway, I only paid THB 3mill. for the place so even if the government kicks me out tomorrow, no big deal (I thought I'd cover off those points first, before anyone else came along and tried to take the conversation down that road).

So for 3 million baht (or £63k) I have a superb home that I couldn't even begin to buy in the UK, even if I was so inclined, which I'm not. My point here is, how many other people would be willing to do as I have done, my guess is there's loads and that accounts for a large element of baht purchases, a consequence of which is a stronger baht. And let's face it, if a retired expat can't stump up 3 mill. baht plus 50k baht a month in living expenses, they probably shouldn't be here in the first place.

As a bi-product of buying my home I met the local landowner, a public figure of some repute and standing, a nice man with a great family. He in turn introduced me (by chance) to a Chinese Singaporean investor, Mr Lim, with whom he was in the process of setting up a deal to build houses, the landowner would supply the land, the investor the capital to build the houses, all very upmarket with prices circa THB 15 mill and up. The investor was very pleasant and when I asked him why Thailand and why not Singapore, the UK or elsewhere he simply said it was far easier for him to do business here and the country had better growth potential and less debt, all said very matter of factually. So here we have it again, another reason why the baht is getting stronger, because people are investing here.

So why are people investing here and why are westerners buying homes here? Climate, cost of living (50k baht a month buys me a very pleasant existence where I want for nothing, albeit I don't do the bar/bar fine thing and I live just outside a tourist destination), security (the government is not going to kick out expat retirees, end of. And the crime thingy is way overdone), decent quality shopping with plenty of choice (no it's not London but I don't need it to be), good quality health care (Mrs CM just had two days in Suan Doc having here gall bladder removed, I was most impressed and found no difference between the Provincial Hospital and RAM), and so on.

As for the investment "why": it's clear from his posts that NS will never believe any "fact" regarding the Thai economy, "the balance sheet is not transparent, not verifiable, it's all smoke and mirrors", he will say, so be it. But I think there's better than a reasonable chance that Thailand has near zero unemployment, has extremely low debt, excellent export potential, has substantial reserves, no labor/union problems and importantly, doesn't have an "I'm entitled" problem amongst its population. Contrast those things with some countries in the West and the reason why money is flowing into Thailand and why the Baht is so strong becomes more clear.

And whilst this thread is about Thailand being too expensive, the message for many expats is clear: if you don't trust the country and all that entails, it follows that you you wont invest here hence the old line of , "never invest more in Thailand than you can afford to loose". The other side of that coin however is that if you don't invest, one day you may not be able to afford to live here.

Right, blast away,.

The property price issue is the only bog difference I believe. That said I dont live in London so can buy elsewhere. London property is a planet to itself.

But the market in Thailand is very fickel and has no bottom. The supply of houses isn't limited in Thailand so it is no store of value at all.horses for courses.

I don't agree completely, the cost of living in Thailand overall is much lower than it is in the UK, food stuffs (local markets), transportation, utilities costs, taxes, labor (hired staff) and so on. Of course, if I shopped at Rimping/TOPS/VILLA supermarkets and continually purchased western food stuffs, the cost of basic foods would not be cheaper, the idea however is not to throw money away needlessly whilst still maintaining good quality and choice. We regularly shop at a local market and can easily buy three or four days worth of fresh high quality vegetables for under £2, the price of a single green pepper in London.

And whilst on the subject of costs, I just received my electricity bill, 758 baht for a 3 bed home running Plasma TV's, computers, appliances, water pump, daily watering of almost one rai etc, that cost alone in the UK/Europe would huge by comparison. Transportation: baht buses at 20 baht, taxi's with a flag fall of 35 baht and internal one hour flight prices of £30, they simply don't compare against the UK/Europe. Labour: I regularly hire workers at between 400 and 500 a day, remind me, what's the minimum wage in the UK!

Right, blast away,.

I don't agree completely, the cost of living in Thailand overall is much lower than it is in the UK, food stuffs (local markets), transportation, utilities costs, taxes, labor (hired staff) and so on. Of course, if I shopped at Rimping/TOPS/VILLA supermarkets and continually purchased western food stuffs, the cost of basic foods would not be cheaper, the idea however is not to throw money away needlessly whilst still maintaining good quality and choice. We regularly shop at a local market and can easily buy three or four days worth of fresh high quality vegetables for under £2, the price of a single green pepper in London.

And whilst on the subject of costs, I just received my electricity bill, 758 baht for a 3 bed home running Plasma TV's, computers, appliances, water pump, daily watering of almost one rai etc, that cost alone in the UK/Europe would huge by comparison. Transportation: baht buses at 20 baht, taxi's with a flag fall of 35 baht and internal one hour flight prices of £30, they simply don't compare against the UK/Europe. Labour: I regularly hire workers at between 400 and 500 a day, remind me, what's the minimum wage in the UK!

Its all about comparison of course. I drank a very nice bottle of red last night for 245 baht and am planning to buy a BMW or merc for 75% less than Thailand.

It also has to do with time in life and having a family to raise, the price doesn't apply to me only but them and their schooling also.

I never lived completely locally and having multiple air cond running for a family meant my electricity was several times more than yours.

Its nowhere as cheap as it was and for many quality products more expensive by several orders in Thailand due to duties. I think running a family upbringing in Thailand costs at least 100 per month if throwing in schooling and health insurance and car finance.

Thing is, you can't find a job paying 100k easily in the Thai job market. So its irrelevant because your lifestyle is being funded by monies earnt elsewhere.

so if you can still live in thailand with your income/money/pension - whatever. and you think your girlfriend would be miserable in Canada. what would yur motive be to consider moving. to save money?? seems you put money before life. mental illness in my opinion.

Appreciate your reply.

The motive would be a long term benefit...mostly government support such as free healthcare and pension. I prefer living in Thailand for sure, but I am trying to be realistic and imagine living there in old age. It scares me.

Some good points. Lots to ponder about. To be honest the biggest issue for me is filth. Thailand is dirty and it's affecting my health.

Not going to read all the opinions.

In my opinion you just answered your own question.

As for the girlfriend tell her to not quit her job.

The exchange rate for Canadian dollar has never been lower. I see the same goes for AUD$.

I mean....sure I can still live in Thailand, but I am back in Canada comparing prices and it sure looks like life would be cheaper here long term. Not to mention the long term benefits such as free healthcare, cleaner and safer everything and pension even if one is not working.

The only problem is my gf and future wife has a decent job in Bangkok and I am sure she would be miserable in Canada.

What to do?

Go home, get a Canadian gf and return to normal. :)

The shows over, Thailand is beyond its sell-by-date.

The exchange rate for Canadian dollar has never been lower. I see the same goes for AUD$.

I mean....sure I can still live in Thailand, but I am back in Canada comparing prices and it sure looks like life would be cheaper here long term. Not to mention the long term benefits such as free healthcare, cleaner and safer everything and pension even if one is not working.

The only problem is my gf and future wife has a decent job in Bangkok and I am sure she would be miserable in Canada.

What to do?

Go home, get a Canadian gf and return to normal. smile.png

The shows over, Thailand is beyond its sell-by-date.

Straight to the point, good advice.

I can't help but wonder if the value of the baht has anything to do with money laundering.......... I wonder how long that would last if the market began to think that the emperor has no clothes.--NeverSure

What are you smoking NeverSure-----& more importantly .....where can I get some..................coffee1.gif

Nice polite comment. I wouldn't even want to know who raised you.

I hear a lot of guys who have come back to Thailand after being here 10 years ago whine and bitch about how things cost so much now and Vietnam is much better. It's all hogwash. Yes Costs have risen a bit, but the rate of inflation on real living costs has been faster in just about every Western country. Despite what the stats tell you, living in the states has risen dramatically especially due to housing costs. The central bank has made sure that those that own the bulk of real property investments don't lose out so real estate is elevated, especially rentals.

Hell I even spent some long term time in Malaysia just to satisfy my curiosity about life there, while I liked KL and Penang, first their real estate costs (rentals) are about 50% higher than Bangkok on average and as far as society, no comparison. Malaysians litter everywhere they throw whatever is in their hands in the gutter...this is both educated and non educated Malaysians. I don't even start me on the annoying sales pitch by the Indians and Arabs as you walk past every venue, store or restaurant. Thailand ain't perfect but I think I am back for good this time....hell I just had a meal at the Tesco Lotus food court (Chicken curry with rice, veggies and drink) for 50 baht. You all need to stop your whining...most of it is bad lifestyle while here or you are from the Euro zone and your own countries are responsible for your dilemma not Thailand. Go back to the Spain, Italy, France and see how long your resources last...give it a shot and let us know.

I drank a very nice bottle of red last night for 245

So did I. Chilean bottle of Red from Tesco Lotus.

Wine is made out to be super expensive in Thailand. You can get reasonable tasting yet cheap bottles at all the supermarkets. It's hardly the best of the best though neither is the cheap stuff in the super markets back home.

Live in Canada and find a Canadian GF/wife?

Rediculous and impossible. After any Thai wife or girlfriend nearly impossible to find a Canadian women that does ow ji geng. They become very boring. There is nothing a Canadian woman has to offer (unless she has a lot of money & a heart condition).

...and I could pick up three or four decent bottles of plonk for one bottle here, three or four second hand cars for the cost of one here, etc.

Groceries in general are similar now apart from the choice; aside from the Rimpings and others, there is very little here really. Most supermarkets are crammed with noodles, powdered milk, sweets and cheap Chinese plastic crap. Of all the things I miss, supermarkets are top of the list. The absolutely massive choice of breads, cheeses, cereals, fresh fruit & veg, high quality meats, vast selection of booze and on and on. There ain't no comparison on that front.

Main things that are ridiculous in UK/West are housing and eating out. But it's all relative: if you were earning baht here on a standard Thai salary, things would be a lot more expensive... and bearing in mind that wages are on the order of several times over Thai and there is zero welfare if you come unstuck.

One could argue the toss either way all day, though the op is right, it is a lot more expensive here now; more so than other places largely through the actions of one person.

If you cant live in Thailand there is no way you can live in Canada. I spent most of 2014 working there and it was ridiculously expensive. Even Immigration told me the money changers at Calgary airport rip you off.

But if you think it is cheap then please go back and live there. This topic has been thrashed and abused beyond belief. Lets move on to something else