Patong is dead.

hansgruber

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

Just singling out a few lines which I think were very well written.

In the late 70s and early 80s, the only tourists that visited Phuket were the Americans on R&R and to be honest, they were much better behaved than todays trash. If you wanted sex with someone who had been with thousands of others before you, you went to the Pearl Hotel where it was all discretely handled and yes, this was the underbelly...I agree. Life went on and you could walk the streets of Patong without a whore in sight. There was a wonderful sign at the entrance to Karon "We hope you enjoyed Karon and have left her as beautiful as you found her". Some hope today, Karon is a bedraggled old lady instead of the beautiful woman she was.

Phuket had the opportunity of a lifetime after the sad event of the Tsunami. With the money pouring in it could have had a modern rail or tram transport system around the island and quality tourism but it attracted all the flotsam and jetsam of the world together with the Thai mafia turning it into what it is today. Very few who think Phuket is great ever knew the Phuket of old so cannot compare. 

I guess I am just a different generation who appreciated natural beauty and not whore houses and night clubs blazing away until dawn. I pray that Chiang Rai, Mae Chan and Mae Sai never become what Phuket is or at least for the remaining years I have left.

I agree that a big chance was not taken after the tsunami.

Disagree with you in general about what Phuket is though.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/05/2017 at 8:39 PM, madmax2 said:

All doom and gloom, Chinese are the main tourist group now and consist mainly of couples and groups of single women, the bars are missing out on trade but other businesses are thriving especially the ones that cater for sight seeing trips etc

Accommodation businesses are suffering because everywhere you drive new ones are opening all the time that cater to long term tourists and expats and normal tourists,everything from one to five stars the market is flooded with them, more tourists now but more people chasing their business, adapt or starve

Bangla Road has always been a must see attraction for most people as its well known from internet posts but is small compared to other similar places in Thailand and other surrounding countries and single male tourists have a much bigger choice of destinations 

I see no reason that Phuket will not keep being a popular tourist destination in the near or long term future   

"I see no reason that Phuket will not keep being a popular tourist destination in the near or long term future." - popular by the tourist arrival numbers, but how popular by the the dollar, euro, and GBP????

Isn't it the money that counts, not the bodies?

"and single male tourists have a much bigger choice of destinations" - true.  So what is Phuket doing to compete in this market, either domestically, or regionally????   Answer is, nothing. 

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I agree that a big chance was not taken after the tsunami.

Disagree with you in general about what Phuket is though.

So, if a big chance was missed,  surely that was step backwards for Phuket, thus, Phuket is where it is, and that is, not such a great place as it could have been, and should have been. 

Phuket is well and truly in the hands of criminals now, and not even the Thai military can intervene to enforce a free market economy on the island. 

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

Just singling out a few lines which I think were very well written.

In the late 70s and early 80s, the only tourists that visited Phuket were the Americans on R&R and to be honest, they were much better behaved than todays trash. If you wanted sex with someone who had been with thousands of others before you, you went to the Pearl Hotel where it was all discretely handled and yes, this was the underbelly...I agree. Life went on and you could walk the streets of Patong without a whore in sight. There was a wonderful sign at the entrance to Karon "We hope you enjoyed Karon and have left her as beautiful as you found her". Some hope today, Karon is a bedraggled old lady instead of the beautiful woman she was.

Phuket had the opportunity of a lifetime after the sad event of the Tsunami. With the money pouring in it could have had a modern rail or tram transport system around the island and quality tourism but it attracted all the flotsam and jetsam of the world together with the Thai mafia turning it into what it is today. Very few who think Phuket is great ever knew the Phuket of old so cannot compare. 

I guess I am just a different generation who appreciated natural beauty and not whore houses and night clubs blazing away until dawn. I pray that Chiang Rai, Mae Chan and Mae Sai never become what Phuket is or at least for the remaining years I have left.

"Very few who think Phuket is great ever knew the Phuket of old so cannot compare." - all anyone can do is compare their first experience of Phuket to what their are experiencing now, that said, "the boiling frog" saying comes to mind.

I know, in my short time living here full time,  the traffic and construction has increased significantly. 

So, which expats are prepared to check out another environment, or continue "boiling?" 

Oh...NKM...if they wan't to boil to death that is their prerogative.

One of the major factors that persuaded me to leave Phuket for good was the influx of hiphopslims.

I have noticed in a few recent trips to Patong, bar girls with luk krueng children in tow with decidedly arab features.  I can only imagine that there are a good deal more of them appearing up country as well.

One young girl was sitting next to me at a shadow puppet show.  She had two black eyes and was nursing a hairy, big nosed, busy eyebrowed LK on her lap.  Ugly little sod.  Like a well tanned miniature Groucho Marx, but without the cigar.

I had a lengthy chat with her.  Black eyes were from the father of the child, North African, who had run off earlier in the week.

Who is going to fill all of the TV and actor positions in the future if the next wave of LKs have dark skin.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

On 5/13/2017 at 5:39 PM, madmax2 said:

more tourists now but more people chasing their business, adapt or starve

I agree with all that you have said mm2 and the old adage is certainly true, however I think for quite a few of the folks who are struggling now in their businesses, it's not easy for them to exit.........perhaps they are in the middle of five or six year leases (for example) and if you are a guest house, small hotel or whatever, then trying to adapt is very difficult, because the business is, what it is.

The problem being that trying to adapt does not necessarily mean charging cheaper rates, because they are just about rock bottom at the moment and just yesterday I spied a small hotel which had recently been upgraded (and nice rooms according to a friend who stayed there) which was advertising a room for 8000 baht a month! In addition to that there is one about a kilometre away advertising rooms for 499 baht per night, including free breakfast, and as if to reflect a sign of the times, I noticed a small laundry charging 30 baht for 9 kg of washing – – never seen anything this low before in a laundry.

So for some, adapting is not an easy option, if it is an option at all, so they are stuck or they walk away and lose money.

Paradoxically, there always seems to be another farang or farang-backed Thai willing to open the very same loss-making business up again and still keeping it the same – – go figure? In hindsight though I have to say this is not strictly the domain of farang inspired businesses, as there are many small Thai businesses which are constantly shut down and reopen and as if to prove the point I have three of them not 50 m from me..........the pharmacy which didn't do well shut down and then became another pharmacy which closed and is now a shop selling trinkets and mostly devoid of customers; the IT shop which replaced another one which I can't remember, was then replaced by a dress shop which had continual sales and was surely heading for the drop and sure enough it happened, and this has now opened as a men's hairdressing salon; one massage parlour was doing poorly, so was sold to another Thai owner and it is still doing poorly etc etc.

IMO a big shakeout is coming and if this low season doesn't see it, then next certainly will. Either that or the "bigger fool syndrome" will take on a whole new meaning whereby it will become the "absolutely stupid, biggest, fool syndrome", but then again you're sure to get a few farangs in the mix!

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I agree with all that you have said mm2 and the old adage is certainly true, however I think for quite a few of the folks who are struggling now in their businesses, it's not easy for them to exit.........perhaps they are in the middle of five or six year leases (for example) and if you are a guest house, small hotel or whatever, then trying to adapt is very difficult, because the business is, what it is.

The problem being that trying to adapt does not necessarily mean charging cheaper rates, because they are just about rock bottom at the moment and just yesterday I spied a small hotel which had recently been upgraded (and nice rooms according to a friend who stayed there) which was advertising a room for 8000 baht a month! In addition to that there is one about a kilometre away advertising rooms for 499 baht per night, including free breakfast, and as if to reflect a sign of the times, I noticed a small laundry charging 30 baht for 9 kg of washing – – never seen anything this low before in a laundry.

So for some, adapting is not an easy option, if it is an option at all, so they are stuck or they walk away and lose money.

Paradoxically, there always seems to be another farang or farang-backed Thai willing to open the very same loss-making business up again and still keeping it the same – – go figure? In hindsight though I have to say this is not strictly the domain of farang inspired businesses, as there are many small Thai businesses which are constantly shut down and reopen and as if to prove the point I have three of them not 50 m from me..........the pharmacy which didn't do well shut down and then became another pharmacy which closed and is now a shop selling trinkets and mostly devoid of customers; the IT shop which replaced another one which I can't remember, was then replaced by a dress shop which had continual sales and was surely heading for the drop and sure enough it happened, and this has now opened as a men's hairdressing salon; one massage parlour was doing poorly, so was sold to another Thai owner and it is still doing poorly etc etc.

IMO a big shakeout is coming and if this low season doesn't see it, then next certainly will. Either that or the "bigger fool syndrome" will take on a whole new meaning whereby it will become the "absolutely stupid, biggest, fool syndrome", but then again you're sure to get a few farangs in the mix!

Not all Thai SMEs in Patong are failing to adapt.  During my last visit I noted a new shop selling mostly prayer clocks an some other islamic paraphernalia.  The shop was chock full of Saudi families.  I assume doing a roaring trade... 

I think it rather naïve of people to expect ANY place on earth to remain in the same state of development as when they first found it decades ago.

To come on a forum like this to complain that something has changed since a first visit, perhaps in a time before computers and cheap flights existed,  is more than silly.

In the 70s when I first viewed Bali, from the deck of a ship at dawn, I thought it to be the most magical place I had ever seen. Kuta then had just one hotel and it's unspoiled beach area was the closest thing to paradise I had seen. Thirteen visits, and many years later, I came to terms with the fact that it had evolved into something I no longer wanted to spend time in.

I moved on.

If something is not the same as it was when you first found it, put it down to natural evolution.  Living life in the past and lamenting change, is self defeating.

Adapt!  Go to Koh Lipe or some undiscovered Burmese island, move to a jungle hideaway if it better suits your lifestyle.

To spend time flinging dung around about a place you no longer want to visit is just immature!

Edited by Old Croc

20 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Not all Thai SMEs in Patong are failing to adapt.  During my last visit I noted a new shop selling mostly prayer clocks an some other islamic paraphernalia.  The shop was chock full of Saudi families.  I assume doing a roaring trade... 

give it a year and they'll have 50 competitors all chipping at the same pie :cheesy:

42 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I think it rather naïve of people to expect ANY place on earth to remain in the same state of development as when they first found it decades ago.

To come on a forum like this to complain that something has changed since a first visit, perhaps in a time before computers and cheap flights existed,  is more than silly.

In the 70s when I first viewed Bali, from the deck of a ship at dawn, I thought it to be the most magical place I had ever seen. Kuta then had just one hotel and it's unspoiled beach area was the closest thing to paradise I had seen. Thirteen visits, and many years later, I came to terms with the fact that it had evolved into something I no longer wanted to spend time in.

I moved on.

If something is not the same as it was when you first found it, put it down to natural evolution.  Living life in the past and lamenting change, is self defeating.

Adapt!  Go to Koh Lipe or some undiscovered Burmese island, move to a jungle hideaway if it better suits your lifestyle.

To spend time flinging dung around about a place you no longer want to visit is just immature!

My first trip on R&R to Bali was 1986, I had just finished a year contract in Indonesia in the then wild west oil town of Balikpapan. I stayed in Kuta beach for a week, was so laid back, some rowdy Aussies in their Aussie designed beers bars,

10 years later I came in to Denpasar port on an offshore work boat for 2 nights. I could not recognise the place.

Took my wife there 4 years ago when Airasia started offering the direct Phuket Denpasar flight, we stayed 5 nights in Kuta and it was worse than Patong. My Thai wife was not impressed. And the Best Western was a big disappointment - sorry  mods a bit off topic

I suppose my point is that being away from a place for many years dulls the nice memories. Since I been in Phuket full time for 21 years, I just do not notice the changes that starkly ... yes is has changed but I don't notice that much as I just see small changes each day. 

Edited by LivinginKata
too many typos

39 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Dung is what is on the beaches of Surin. Natural evolution is not Mafia controlled "enterprises" and shoddy building work. 

I am all for progress but in a quality way, not in a washed up in Phuket, tourist trash way. That is merely dragging everyone down to an unacceptable level.

With the massive amounts of aid and money thrown at it, after the Tsunami Phuket could have had the finest transport system in Asia, and reasonably priced quality accommodation for tourists but greed, NGOs and Mafia controlled organisations pandered to the lowest form of life they could as their money was easier to get their hands on.

However, if this is considered progress and evolution then fine, live with it but don't complain the Patong is dying. Since the Tsunami Patong is more like the living dead.

Much

25 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Dung is what is on the beaches of Surin. Natural evolution is not Mafia controlled "enterprises" and shoddy building work. 

I am all for progress but in a quality way, not in a washed up in Phuket, tourist trash way. That is merely dragging everyone down to an unacceptable level.

With the massive amounts of aid and money thrown at it, after the Tsunami Phuket could have had the finest transport system in Asia, and reasonably priced quality accommodation for tourists but greed, NGOs and Mafia controlled organisations pandered to the lowest form of life they could as their money was easier to get their hands on.

However, if this is considered progress and evolution then fine, live with it but don't complain the Patong is dying. Since the Tsunami Patong is more like the living dead.

Much of what you said is correct, albeit crudely stated.

You have chosen to misunderstand my post completely in your haste to continue the rant.

I'm not defending Patong, the city this thread is based on,  I did live there at one stage, but have not even visited it for several years, despite living not that far away. It no longer ticks many boxes for what I want from life. I'm not denigrating members here who chose to live in Patong because they, and 100,000s of tourists, enjoy what it still has to offer.

What I don't understand is people who can't differentiate between the town of Patong and the Province of Phuket and throw insults haphazardly at both!

I can't understand why someone living in the Golden Triangle finds it necessary to spend so much of what's left of life trolling forums about a place they despise!

Get on with whatever your life is and try to enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Much

Much of what you said is correct, albeit crudely stated.

You have chosen to misunderstand my post completely in your haste to continue the rant.

I'm not defending Patong, the city this thread is based on,  I did live there at one stage, but have not even visited it for several years, despite living not that far away. It no longer ticks many boxes for what I want from life. I'm not denigrating members here who chose to live in Patong because they, and 100,000s of tourists, enjoy what it still has to offer.

What I don't understand is people who can't differentiate between the town of Patong and the Province of Phuket and throw insults haphazardly at both!

I can't understand why someone living in the Golden Triangle finds it necessary to spend so much of what's left of life trolling forums about a place they despise!

Get on with whatever your life is and try to enjoy it.

First, it's not trolling. It's my view on a topic on TV. It is not just Patong, it is all along what once was a pristine beach from Nai Harn to Nai Yang, anywhere  it can be turned into a cash cow for the Thai mafia and low lives.

I have family in Phuket and we stay there for at least one month each year. Phuket was always our second home and we had intended to build a house in Chalong for our retirement. After the Tsunami, Phuket went down the tubes. Our Thai family have too many connections in Phuket to move but are very sad at how their Island home has turned out. They now despise tourists where once they welcomed them. Phuket is their place of birth, their home and now all that they knew has gone. Their children have left to live with us in the Golden triangle as you call it and if we could we would persuade or sisters and brothers to come with them.

I am sure many people would be happy to see the older generation leave Phuket and let the Mafia take over completely. nearly all of the "businesses" are run by Bangkok based Thais and very few locals have much clout any more.

I have not made personal remarks at any time. I have only ever commented on Phuket and Patong, not individual members.

18 hours ago, Flustered said:

First, it's not trolling. It's my view on a topic on TV. It is not just Patong, it is all along what once was a pristine beach from Nai Harn to Nai Yang, anywhere  it can be turned into a cash cow for the Thai mafia and low lives.

I have family in Phuket and we stay there for at least one month each year. Phuket was always our second home and we had intended to build a house in Chalong for our retirement. After the Tsunami, Phuket went down the tubes. Our Thai family have too many connections in Phuket to move but are very sad at how their Island home has turned out. They now despise tourists where once they welcomed them. Phuket is their place of birth, their home and now all that they knew has gone. Their children have left to live with us in the Golden triangle as you call it and if we could we would persuade or sisters and brothers to come with them.

I am sure many people would be happy to see the older generation leave Phuket and let the Mafia take over completely. nearly all of the "businesses" are run by Bangkok based Thais and very few locals have much clout any more.

I have not made personal remarks at any time. I have only ever commented on Phuket and Patong, not individual members.

Firstly, thanks for explaining your connection to the Island, some of your posts make a little more sense now.

Secondly the premise of my post hasn't changed with that news You've changed your plans about your planned retirement destination because things here have deteriorated in your eyes. You've made your point, there's no need to continually bang on about it. That's where you start to be considered trollish and you end up just feeding the two main trolls who despoil this Phuket forum.

My personal remarks statement was aimed more at those people, both of whom have named me on the forum and invented stories about my personal circumstances in pathetic attempts to belittle me.

Concluding, everyone has to make changes as we shuffle through life,  both planned destinations and our personal selves change. Read my post above about Bali, which had always been my first choice as a retirement home. It changed dramatically over the years and stopped being a consideration.

I don't know where your family lives in the Province, but as you're posting in the Patong thread, presumably in that town. There are hundreds of square kilometers in the Province where a good lifestyle can still be had, totally divorced from that town, and the local mafia.

There are many expats on this forum who still love the place, warts and all.

(Incidentally, the mafia infest much of Thailand not just Phuket. Some of the biggest drug criminals operate in your general area) 

There are hundreds of square kilometers in the Province where a good lifestyle can still be had, totally divorced from that town, and the local mafia.

LoL, well in view of what happened to me in Nai Yang (hotel invaded by drug dealer, then local police support him to 'steal' my business, then BIG local drug dealers hound me off the island under threat of death), I might disagree with you.

To comment, even before that problem last year, 2 of my Thai staff were shot dead in that locality, and no-one was ever brought to justice.

One of the problems that I encountered in north Phuket was the high level of yaba abuse.  I ended up looking after a young Thai boy because first his mum and then his dad were imprisoned for dealing in yaba, such that he was on the streets.  Then I had to do the same with my 3 nieces after their dad was jailed for the same offence.

I despair of Phuket - the level of crime and corruption is high all over the island - it is not a problem only in Patong.

12 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I don't know where your family lives in the Province, but as you're posting in the Patong thread, presumably in that town. There are hundreds of square kilometers in the Province where a good lifestyle can still be had, totally divorced from that town, and the local mafia.

There are many expats on this forum who still love the place, warts and all.

(Incidentally, the mafia infest much of Thailand not just Phuket. Some of the biggest drug criminals operate in your general area) 

My "family" live near Hok Huat. They owned several shops in Patong on the pre Tsunami days when there was very little in the way of a red light district. In fact what is now Thanon Bangla was mainly tea shops and restaurants. Their shops were on the main beach road and completely wiped out by the Tsunami. Afterwards, they were muscled out by mafiosa business people who took over much of the real estate there.

Now they are being encroached on by the Muslim population on the east coast and have had many threats against them to try and move them off their property. One of the main reason we took their children up north with us.

I suppose I see a different side to life in Phuket not frequenting the sex bars or night clubs and avoiding the sewage ridden beaches. My involvement is primarily with locals rather than tourists or resident farangs. Around the area we live in outside Chiang Rai, it is all village life and no big business. We do not live the style of life that would bring us into contact with drug criminals or mafiosa.

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

My "family" live near Hok Huat. They owned several shops in Patong on the pre Tsunami days when there was very little in the way of a red light district. In fact what is now Thanon Bangla was mainly tea shops and restaurants. Their shops were on the main beach road and completely wiped out by the Tsunami. Afterwards, they were muscled out by mafiosa business people who took over much of the real estate there.

Now they are being encroached on by the Muslim population on the east coast and have had many threats against them to try and move them off their property. One of the main reason we took their children up north with us.

I suppose I see a different side to life in Phuket not frequenting the sex bars or night clubs and avoiding the sewage ridden beaches. My involvement is primarily with locals rather than tourists or resident farangs. Around the area we live in outside Chiang Rai, it is all village life and no big business. We do not live the style of life that would bring us into contact with drug criminals or mafiosa.

Don't know what you are talking about.

Bangla was always "red-light". At least from 1985, when I came to live here.

Your statement would apply to the beach road, but, certainly not Bangla.

Edited by KarenBravo

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Well it certainly was when I first visited before the Tsunami in 2004 and the first time I saw the Sois full of "dancing girls" I just couldn't believe it..........never seen anything like it.

Have to agree though that the golden opportunity to do something constructive with Patong after the Tsunami was missed. Mainly because powerful people got their hands on the money and used it for their own purposes whilst others saw it as a "land grab" opportunity.

Corruption still rules the place unfortunately and it irks, but I am powerless to do anything about it so I have to get on with my own life here.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Well it certainly was when I first visited before the Tsunami in 2004 and the first time I saw the Sois full of "dancing girls" I just couldn't believe it..........never seen anything like it.

Just another guy that doesn't live here, yet, feels qualified to comment (obviously not).

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

LoL, well in view of what happened to me in Nai Yang (hotel invaded by drug dealer, then local police support him to 'steal' my business, then BIG local drug dealers hound me off the island under threat of death), I might disagree with you.

There are many of us here who consider you a special case in most matters Simon.

Very atypical of the average expat.

Edited by Old Croc

10 hours ago, Flustered said:

pre Tsunami days when there was very little in the way of a red light district. In fact what is now Thanon Bangla was mainly tea shops and restaurants.

You had me believing you until the above, glaringly obvious bit of BS.

Always confounds me why people come to live in Thailand, or SE Asia for that matter, and then complain bitterly about what they find here. Why do so many fail to do the research on their destination before emigrating? What did you expect when you arrived from Heathrow with stars in your eyes?  That paradise you briefly visited in the 70's?

The whole region is predicated on corruption, crime, lawlessness, road chaos and pollution. To live here you need to find your niche, and, at times, ignore the idiocy and  callousness that can surround you. 

The continent is a work in progress, it may never become the mixture of tropical exotica and European orderliness many seem to require if they're going to continue to honour the place with their presence. 

If you really think you can change the world to your expectations, you should join that fairytale organisation, the NGOs

7 minutes ago, beechbum said:
10 hours ago, Flustered said:

pre Tsunami days when there was very little in the way of a red light district. In fact what is now Thanon Bangla was mainly tea shops and restaurants.

You had me believing you until the above, glaringly obvious bit of BS.

It must have been another Bangla Rd I used to visit in the 90s!

6 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Bangla was men paradise in mid 80' till end 90'. Also living in Maikhaw now more then 25 years the statements about north phuket are totally bs.

Edited by schlog

8 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

From memory, I think there were no more than about 4 or 5 "go go" bars in the area and none of these were as open or in your face as today's. I still remember a great ice cream shop in Bangla where they served ice cream in large sea shells, not girls fannies.

Different people have different recollections depending on their taste in entertainment.

Because my memories are different to others do not make them any less real, just a different perspective.

It would be good if other FMs would realise this and stop thinking they are the only ones entitled to post comments and making personal attacks. 

4 minutes ago, Flustered said:

From memory, I think there were no more than about 4 or 5 "go go" bars in the area and none of these were as open or in your face as today's. I still remember a great ice cream shop in Bangla where they served ice cream in large sea shells, not girls fannies.

Different people have different recollections depending on their taste in entertainment.

Because my memories are different to others do not make them any less real, just a different perspective.

It would be good if other FMs would realise this and stop thinking they are the only ones entitled to post comments and making personal attacks. 

Your memory is faulty. Soi Ko Yoi at least 30 bars + Soi Gonzo another 10, or so. Bangla, at least another 10.

To paraphrase, you're entitled to your own recollection, but, not your own facts.

Four residents here have refuted your claim. Maybe you should admit that your statement was an error?

This doesn't even count Soi Seadragon, or Soi Freedom which you can add another 30 bars, or so.

Don't beer bars count? Or,  are you now only counting ago-gos?

Edited by KarenBravo

My statements are my recollections.

I fail to see why a post on recollections should inflame so many FMs. All I can think is that they feel they have a right to be the only ones posting on TV. The title of the thread is "Patong is Dead" not "Let's attack anyone who disagrees with us and call their posts BS".

I have not criticised any member nor called their posts BS.  At all times I have been polite and  never personally insulted nor offended any member, only given my perspective on the thread yet the ones who have a different recollection seem to revel in confrontation.

It would appear that the only posts acceptable to some are those that are in agreement with their points of view. Sorry, I did not realise I had breached an unwritten rule of TV. I naively thought that FMs were entitled to their own point of view.

Speaks for itself why Patong is dead.