Patong is dead.

hansgruber

An unusual thing happened to me today that seems to confirm that things are not so hot in at least some parts of Phuket...

About 6 months ago I played pool with a bar girl here in Chiang Mai. I bought her a couple of drinks in compensation for her time. Never saw her again. Today she called me from Karon and encouraged me to visit.

If, in the middle of her high season, she has the time and inclination to contact a punter she met one time, that tells me that high season there is not reaching new heights.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patong may be dead but the Thai boxing street that runs between the Chao Fa's seem to be doing OK. Packed with gyms, restaurants, shops & loads of foreigners although it is getting close to a case of everyone jumping on the bandwagon & becoming too saturated.

Patong may be dead but the Thai boxing street that runs between the Chao Fa's seem to be doing OK. Packed with gyms, restaurants, shops & loads of foreigners although it is getting close to a case of everyone jumping on the bandwagon & becoming too saturated.

Thai business 101.

See someone having some success, copy them and try to steal their market share, rinse and repeat.

Once a street gets a family mart its the beginning of the end.

Sorry Simon, you're not a realist here, far from it.

Let's go through another high/low season cycle and then see who is the realist.

That has nothing to do with it. You say phuket has nothing to offer, others come with many things and you simply shake them of, nearly all out of ignorance.

Thai business 101.

See someone having some success, copy them and try to steal their market share, rinse and repeat.

How do you explain shopping centres? One successful business and soon there are hundreds. Yet shopping centres seem to work worldwide. You may say all stores sell different products. Many malls have at least two Apple stores, more than one department store, etc etc. And in North America, one petrol station is unusual. Mostly three or four within a short distance.

Thai business 101.

How do you explain shopping centres? One successful business and soon there are hundreds. Yet shopping centres seem to work worldwide. You may say all stores sell different products. Many malls have at least two Apple stores, more than one department store, etc etc. And in North America, one petrol station is unusual. Mostly three or four within a short distance.

And in Burundi they only sale chicken on fridays.

Who cares about department stores in N. America.

others come with many things and you simply shake them of, nearly all out of ignorance.

Not true. Others have suggested typical activities for retired, Western expats. I am realistic when I say that tourists do not choose their main holiday destination on the basis of lawn bowls and the Trickeye Museum.

MHO, they choose it based on a general 'feel' for the destination, (based on feedback, TripAdvisor, reputation etc etc). In that respect, Phuket has - and continues to - shoot itself in the foot.

In some instances, they choose their holiday destination because of a very specific attraction with a reputation to go with it - such as Angkor Wat.

I don't need to argue this with you - the tourist numbers and tourist demographics speak for themselves.

I'm with Simon on this one.

Ponder this. There are far more activities and things to do now, especially for Western tourists, than ten years ago.

Yet, there are noticeably fewer Western tourists here now. Therefore, people don't come for the activities, If they did, Western tourist numbers would have increased, instead, they have declined.

Many people choose their holiday based on boasting rights.

When Phuket was relatively unknown (before the tsunami), we had lots of Western tourists. Saying you holidayed in Phuket, Thailand had a certain prestige.

Now that Phuket is known and has opened the door to mass-tourism, it isn't fashionable any more. It's become the Benidorm of Asia.

Edited by KarenBravo

Sorry Simon, you're not a realist here, far from it.

Let's go through another high/low season cycle and then see who is the realist.

That has nothing to do with it. You say phuket has nothing to offer, others come with many things and you simply shake them of, nearly all out of ignorance.

No one can deny the fact that Phuket does offer all the activities that were listed.

The problem is the way the product, in this case, the activities, are delivered to the people.

Phuket, as a brand, is losing market share, yet, it boasts all the activities that have been mentioned. The question must ne asked, "Why?"

The way Phuket is "branded" and marketed to people, all around the world, may very well not be what they find when they get here, and I think the word is getting out.

It's the way "tourism" is administered here that is causing the decline.

It's "The Phuket BS Factor." Everything around the activity, and in many cases, the activity itself, Eg jet-skis, come with negative consequence Eg. a scam, and / or lack of safety etc etc.

Phuket has been exposed for NOT being a "World Class tourists destination" despite Thai Officials making the claim it is, and trying to lure "high end tourists" here.. The infastructure here is not of the standard that western tourists expect, for the price they pay.

So, as KB mentions, even if Phuket keeps adding to the list of things to see and do here, the western tourist will still not return, because it's what Phuket offers 24/7 that is not up to standard, not just the activity itself,

Edited by NamKangMan

The Russians are broke. As are the Americans, the Brits, the Chinese, and most everyone else. (Except for the Nordic nations).

Uk has the fastest growing economy in europe. Theres loads of money flying around. They just ain't coming here in anything like the same numbers as before.

The Russians are broke. As are the Americans, the Brits, the Chinese, and most everyone else. (Except for the Nordic nations).

Uk has the fastest growing economy in europe. Theres loads of money flying around. They just ain't coming here in anything like the same numbers as before.

555! Fastest growing economy in Europe is not saying much these days. There's a lot of (hypothetical) money, mostly tied up in real estate.

Ponder this. There are far more activities and things to do now, especially for Western tourists, than ten years ago.

Yet, there are noticeably fewer Western tourists here now. Therefore, people don't come for the activities, If they did, Western tourist numbers would have increased, instead, they have declined.

When Phuket was relatively unknown (before the tsunami), we had lots of Western tourists. Saying you holidayed in Phuket, Thailand had a certain prestige.

Now that Phuket is known and has opened the door to mass-tourism, it isn't fashionable any more. It's become the Benidorm of Asia.

You agree with Simon and in the same sentence you say Phuket has far more activities and things to do now. While Simon is saying there is nothing to offer.

BTW, compare tourist numbers for Phuket with those of other destination in Thailand, and you'll see the situation is the same. Krabi, Khao Lak, Gulf Islands, Bangkok, all suffering from a lack of (spending) tourists.

others come with many things and you simply shake them of, nearly all out of ignorance.

Not true. Others have suggested typical activities for retired, Western expats. I am realistic when I say that tourists do not choose their main holiday destination on the basis of lawn bowls and the Trickeye Museum.

MHO, they choose it based on a general 'feel' for the destination, (based on feedback, TripAdvisor, reputation etc etc). In that respect, Phuket has - and continues to - shoot itself in the foot.

In some instances, they choose their holiday destination because of a very specific attraction with a reputation to go with it - such as Angkor Wat.

I don't need to argue this with you - the tourist numbers and tourist demographics speak for themselves.

No Simon. Beaches are not typical activities for the retired, western expats, neither are fishing, golf, diving, boat tours, etc. You all brush them off, maybe because you don't know enough about those activities or maybe because they don't fit the profile of your guests. But opposite my shop is Sawasdee Village, also quite often catering to Chinese, just as you do. But they do go golfing, they do take cooking classes, etc. And some even go to the beaches, which are of course Phuket's main attraction, but ignored by you as well.

Benidorm attracts the Chavs..... Which is not a positive for sure

Mention thailand to any Middle Class Brit, and they would turn there nose up at the thought.

They have always preferred the Carribean or the likes....

You agree with Simon and in the same sentence you say Phuket has far more activities and things to do now. While Simon is saying there is nothing to offer.

BTW, compare tourist numbers for Phuket with those of other destination in Thailand, and you'll see the situation is the same. Krabi, Khao Lak, Gulf Islands, Bangkok, all suffering from a lack of (spending) tourists.

I'm saying that tourists don't come for the activities, whether there are lots, or not many. Available activities on the island is irrelevant when talking about the Chinese.

I also agree with Simon that many of the activities you mentioned do not interest the Chinese, anyway.

The Chinese go on tours, which, in all probability are part of the whole package, including flights and hotel.

What's important to them is lots of photographs for boasting purposes when they get home.

I'm saying that tourists don't come for the activities, whether there are lots, or not many. Available activities on the island is irrelevant when talking about the Chinese.

I also agree with Simon that many of the activities you mentioned do not interest the Chinese, anyway.

The Chinese go on tours, which, in all probability are part of the whole package, including flights and hotel.

What's important to them is lots of photographs for boasting purposes when they get home.

Ah, ok. Yes, agree, many people come for the beaches, not other activities, although there are still quite a few people coming here only for diving. But yes, they won't come here for a cooking course. But they will do a cooking course on one of the days they don't feel like going to the beach or take a massage or do some shopping.

And yes, quite a lot of Chinese are on package tours, but they will not stay at Simon's. And I see many Chinese not on package tours doing snorkeling trips (look at all the drownings), cooking courses, etc.

My point was: Simon is complaining there is nothing to do on Phuket. And sorry, that is simply not true, also for Chinese there are many activities, but he simply brushed them aside, quite a few of them seemingly out of ignorance.

Yes, lots to do, but, the Chinese don't do "doing things".

They just want the photographs.

I don't think that's true, but if it were true, what is the problem then for Simon not being able to find things to do.

Yes, lots to do, but, the Chinese don't do "doing things".

They just want the photographs.

I think the "things" that the Chinese do, and the places they go, are determined by which business pays the highest commission to the tour company to bring them there.

If we got a hold of a Chinese travel agent broucher for holidays to Phuket, I would be surprised if many of the activities here are not available to the Chinese tourists, to be included in their package holiday.

They would have to undertake such activities in their free time from the tour, and independently, and the Chinese, like many other Asian nationalities, prefer to remain with a group, rather than venture off on their own.

While I cant link the articles as this forum has an issue with PW..

Last nights headline was "UPDATE BYO Beach Chairs Are OK, Phuket Police Will Be Told at Special Meeting"

Todays headline is "Phuket Navy, Police Ban All Beach Chairs from Holiday Island's Beaches"

The phrase "cant even run a deckchair concession" sounds like an insult along the lines of "cant run a pissup in a brewery" and yet its pretty much a factual assessment of the management capabilities of the combined resources of the local government.

Where exactly did Detective Inspector Simon43 say there is ‘nothing’ to do? coffee1.gif

As for his alleged ignorance, well, seeing as he appears to have identified a business model that keeps him afloat whilst others (in the same market) struggle harder than an old clapped whore on Bangla, I would hardly describe him as just another deluded inmate who’s gone a wee bit age-crazy. As a frequent visitor to Lalaland I read his observations as well observed and note he doesn’t need to resort to lame insults to make his point. Take note, Sir.

Ah, ok. Yes, agree, many people come for the beaches, not other activities, although there are still quite a few people coming here only for diving. But yes, they won't come here for a cooking course. But they will do a cooking course on one of the days they don't feel like going to the beach or take a massage or do some shopping.

And yes, quite a lot of Chinese are on package tours, but they will not stay at Simon's. And I see many Chinese not on package tours doing snorkeling trips (look at all the drownings), cooking courses, etc.

My point was: Simon is complaining there is nothing to do on Phuket. And sorry, that is simply not true, also for Chinese there are many activities, but he simply brushed them aside, quite a few of them seemingly out of ignorance.

Where exactly did Detective Inspector Simon43 say there is ‘nothing’ to do? coffee1.gif

As for his alleged ignorance, well, seeing as he appears to have identified a business model that keeps him afloat whilst others (in the same market) struggle harder than an old clapped whore on Bangla, I would hardly describe him as just another deluded inmate who’s gone a wee bit age-crazy. As a frequent visitor to Lalaland I read his observations as well observed and note he doesn’t need to resort to lame insults to make his point. Take note, Sir.

Quote from Simon "Back on-topic, many of my guests ask the very fundamental question 'What does Phuket have to offer?'

Well, IMHO, the answer is not much!

I suggest visiting the Big Buddha, Bangla Road, Simon's Cabaret, Phuket Fantasy. Apart from that.. hmmm."

II did not call Simon ignorant, I said with regards to the mentioned activities he brushes of f too easily, possibly (or probably, I don't exactly recall) based on ignorance of the mentioned activities. Somebody claiming divers are moving from Phuket to Koh Tao obviously does not know much about that subject.

And maybe Simon's guests are typically not interested in any of the mentioned activities, including beaches, but that does not mean Phuket does not have them on offer nor that Chinese in general are not interested in them.

Edited by stevenl

what is the problem then for Simon not being able to find things to do.

I personally, have many enjoyable activities in Phuket. But for the majority of my guests (majority gleaned from my stats), they are not staying in Phuket, but travelling to visit Koh Yao, Khao Sok national park, Similians, Phi-Phi, Ao Nang etc etc.

They are not (apparently) interested to proceed onwards to visit Phuket.

I will have a hard task persuading my guests of the attractions of lawn bowls and the Trickeye Museum, (enjoyable though that may be for some). My guests would think I am daft as a brush :)

IMHO, here is one reason why they don't want to proceed onwards to Patong/Karon. Although I live for 12 years in Phuket, I follow a quiet lifestyle amongst the rubber trees in north Phuket - my hotel staff looking after my guests.

I had not visited Patong after dark for 5 years - the last occasion being when I worked as a TPV in Bangla Road every weekend. At that time, Patong was busy with European/Ozzie/American tourists and the groups of Asian tourists snapping away with their cameras at the ladyboys.

Well I ventured into Patong last night to attend a friend's wedding party my first visit in 5 years.

I was utterly dismayed by what I saw. I would be polite if I called it 'Chav Capital' or 'Drop-Out Ville'. Everywhere were shirtless, unshaven males, drunks sitting in the street, beggars and more beggars.

This is not the Patong from 5 years ago. What I saw was total low-life (sorry for sounding snobbish here).

I'm not naive about this - I patrolled every weekend in the bar areas of Patong and know exactly wjhat the city was like 5 years ago.

Now, to call it an Asian Benidorm is an insult to the city of Benidorm.

I'm aware that Phuket is not Patong. The island may well have attractions to offer to tourists. But unless there is a world-class attraction, (such as Angor Wat), tourists will choose their holiday destination based on general considerations and traveller comments about the destination, not because they can visit some minor attraction.

“Somebody claiming divers are moving from Phuket to Koh Tao obviously does not know much about that subject.”

Yes, I may have to retract the line about being ‘a wee bit age crazy’ although he’d been remarkably lucid in previous postings that the Chinese, et all, were just kipping at his digs before moving on elsewhere. However, reading post #210, I’m feeling somewhat concerned defending the aforementioned copper by his reference to Patong as a city. Personally, I view the high water mark for Phuket (for European westerners) as at least prior to the 2004 tsunami; the others are now just having their time as we all did. burp.gif

Quote from Simon "Back on-topic, many of my guests ask the very fundamental question 'What does Phuket have to offer?'

I suggest visiting the Big Buddha, Bangla Road, Simon's Cabaret, Phuket Fantasy. Apart from that.. hmmm."

II did not call Simon ignorant, I said with regards to the mentioned activities he brushes of f too easily, possibly (or probably, I don't exactly recall) based on ignorance of the mentioned activities. Somebody claiming divers are moving from Phuket to Koh Tao obviously does not know much about that subject.

And maybe Simon's guests are typically not interested in any of the mentioned activities, including beaches, but that does not mean Phuket does not have them on offer nor that Chinese in general are not interested in them.

Given the 'things to do' mentioned Simon's right then, isn't he. Big Buddha, couple of hours, most of which spent climbing the hill, Bangla Road, not everyone's cup of tea, is it, a ladyboy show and a cabaret. Wow. But I'm sure you'll be back with a 'well what an earth else do you want, given the exciting and abundant entertainments here?' As is your wont.