90 day report - required or not ?

Hello all

After having had a 1-year non-B permission to stay, and staying in Thailand pretty much the entire time, I was now out of the country last week just before the next 90 day report comes up this week.

My question is now - do I need to do the 90 day report or do does 90 days get "reset" if you leave the country ?

The next extension for another year is coming up before another 90 days will elapse, so I'd like to avoid running into issues then.

Cheers

Na Fan

Timer is reset each time you enter the country.

By the way, when you do your extension it is NOT counted as a report (except the first extension), so even if both are on the same day it's two separate tasks.

By the way, when you do your extension it is NOT counted as a report (except the first extension), so even if both are on the same day it's two separate tasks.

Some offices do reset the 90 day clock when you do your extension, mine does, Nakhon Sawan, and I think that the one that UJ uses does also.

I know when you do a regular 90 day report you get that slip they put in the back of your passport to tell you that you paid and

when to come back for your next 90 day

If you do end up leaving before the 90 report like the OP Did, does the immigration at the airport put another new 90 day slip in your passport with the next date

or do you just figure it out on your own the first time when u fly back in

Edited by krey

I know when you do a regular 90 day report you get that slip they put in the back of your passport to tell you that you paid and

when to come back for your next 90 day

If you do end up leaving before the 90 report like the OP Did, does the immigration at the airport put another new 90 day slip in your passport with the next date

or do you just figure it out on your own the first time when u fly back in

Immigration on departure or arrival do nothing with 90 day reports.

You have to count the 90 days from the date you enter including that day in the count.

Seems to me you only get done for this if you go for a renewal and you are over 90 days without a report.

Since my renewal is in May and I always leave Thailand at Songkran I never have the problem, hence I have never once done a 90 day report since it was introduced.

There are many times I have gone over 90 days but I always know I will leave the country before I next deal with the immigration in Bangkok, hence, it doesn't matter.

Seems to me you only get done for this if you go for a renewal and you are over 90 days without a report.

Since my renewal is in May and I always leave Thailand at Songkran I never have the problem, hence I have never once done a 90 day report since it was introduced.

There are many times I have gone over 90 days but I always know I will leave the country before I next deal with the immigration in Bangkok, hence, it doesn't matter.

So you have been here since 1979 when the immigration act went into effect. That is when the 90 day reports started.

You have just been lucky. Perhaps you are not dealing with a diligent immigration office.

I can assure you that people have been fined for not doing reports before leaving the country.

But then you fill in a 90 day report and as a condequence your 90 day report is reset.

I presume not the mere fact that you applied for an extension resets the 90 day reporting date.

Yes you presume correct, as Crossy said TWO separate tasks. At CW they have two immigration sections for extensions and 90 days reports, two computer databases and never the twain shall meet. Go figure? 2000THB if you don't know.

But then you fill in a 90 day report and as a condequence your 90 day report is reset.

I presume not the mere fact that you applied for an extension resets the 90 day reporting date.

Yes you presume correct, as Crossy said TWO separate tasks. At CW they have two immigration sections for extensions and 90 days reports, two computer databases and never the twain shall meet. Go figure? 2000THB if you don't know.

Here on Samui, every extension goes automatically as a 90 day report.

Every year I get a new slip with the extension telling me to report in 90 days.

So you have been here since 1979 when the immigration act went into effect. That is when the 90 day reports started.

You have just been lucky. Perhaps you are not dealing with a diligent immigration office.

I can assure you that people have been fined for not doing reports before leaving the country.

I'm happy to stand corrected I first lived and worked here in the late 1980's. At no time did I ever hear of it, so I may have lived in ignorance, but I certainly never got busted for it. In fact I seem to remember 90 day reporting being introduced some time in the mid to late 90's..... again I may be wrong.....

As for the rest of your post, I am well aware that people get fined for it, however I clearly explained why that hasn't happened to me. I have never had any dealings with immigration officials (which is once a year) without having been out of the country in the preceding 90 days.

Are you telling me that people should be fined at the airport on departure for leaving having been in the country over 90 days and not having a reporting slip in their passport? I've done that on many many occasions.

Edited by Schmeen

I'm happy to stand corrected I first lived and worked here in the late 1980's. At no time did I ever hear of it, so I may have lived in ignorance, but I certainly never got busted for it. In fact I seem to remember 90 day reporting being introduced some time in the mid to late 90's..... again I may be wrong.....

As for the rest of your post, I am well aware that people get fined for it, however I clearly explained why that hasn't happened to me. I have never had any dealings with immigration officials (which is once a year) without having been out of the country in the preceding 90 days.

Are you telling me that people should be fined at the airport on departure for leaving having been in the country over 90 days and not having a reporting slip in their passport? I've done that on many many occasions.

The requirement for 90 day reports is in the immigration act. It may not of been enforced at times and then strictly enforced later..

As I said you have just been lucky. Many offices do check that 90 day reports have been done even if a person has recently returned to the country. They have it all in a computer now. If there is no record of reports you will have a problem if you stayed in the country more than 90 days during the year.

I may of not made myself clear in the last line of my post. I did not mean to say you would be fined on leaving the country.

Your experience is very similar to my own. Started working in BKK in 1990 when, as far a I'm aware, there was no requirement to report. I was vaguely aware that immigration started enforcing the requirement several years later but it was never even mentioned to me and I never did a 90 day report.

Likely there is no cross referencing between the computer system generally used by immigration and whatever system is used for 90 day reports so unless the officer handling your annual extension checks through your passport and manually adds the days in between entry/exit stamps, you simply won't be in the 90 day system so they won't miss you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

A rare post from me I know, but this is personal and almost confessional in it's nature,

- a personal experience :

About 4/5 years ago I had a Non Immigrant class O visa (from memory 6 months duration). Left Thailand for the UK before the visa expiry having forgotten to do the 90 day report and not been out of the country at all.

Airline staff (Thai Airways?) at check-in commented on the lack of a current stamp in the passport regarding permission to stay. My only defence (of no real validity) was that the departure card was stapled tightly over the stamp that indicated the permission to stay date, so even when I opened the passport there was nothing to remind me of the duration of my tenure in Thailand. Yeah, I know what you're thinking and I'm pretty annoyed with myself for being so complacent about the paperwork.

Here's the rub -

Dragged to immigration and told to pay £400 (can't remember the exchange rate) calculated on a daily rate/maximum value -I guess I had almost 90 days of fines as the arrival stamp would have given me 90 days.

I argued my visa was valid to no avail. So I guessed I was being fined for not doing the 90 day report. (£400 ??!!!!)

Credit card - ? Oh no. Nothing do simple.

Cash only ---!? in Baht---?!

At the time my UK bank only allowed me £200 per day - do not know if the machine would have given me £400 but my wife used her card for the other £200. Who knows what would have happened to anyone without the cash - I almost missed the flight as it was with an atm available close by.

So there's my cautionary tale.

You can cut it up any way you want, and I did carry out numerous post mortems on the beast (seething as i went through it all in my mind, LOL) but I NEVER underestimated the importance or necessity of that report again.

Hi guys,

A rare post from me I know, but this is personal and almost confessional in it's nature,

About 4/5 years ago I had a Non Immigrant class O visa (from memory 6 months duration). Left Thailand for the UK before the visa expiry having forgotten to do the 90 day report and not been out of the country at all.

Airline staff (Thai Airways?) at check-in commented on the lack of a current stamp in the passport regarding permission to stay. My only defence (of no real validity) was that the departure card was stapled tightly over the stamp that indicated the permission to stay date, so even when I opened the passport there was nothing to remind me of the duration of my tenure in Thailand. Yeah, I know what you're thinking and I'm pretty annoyed with myself for being so complacent about the paperwork.

Here's the rub -

Dragged to immigration and told to pay £400 (can't remember the exchange rate) calculated on a daily rate/maximum value -I guess I had almost 90 days of fines as the arrival stamp would have given me 90 days.

I argued my visa was valid to no avail. So I guessed I was being fined for not doing the 90 day report. (£400 ??!!!!)

At the time my UK bank only allowed me £200 per day - do not know if the machine would have given me £400 but my wife used her card for the other £200. Who knows what would have happened to anyone without the cash - I almost missed the flight as it was with an atm available close by.

You can cut it up any way you want, and I did carry out numerous post mortems on the beast (seething as i went through it all in my mind, LOL) but I NEVER underestimated the importance or necessity of that report again.

It sounds like you may of had a multiple entry non-o visa that gave a 90 day entry and you did not leave and re-enter the country after those 90 days.

The 400 pound would be the 20,000 baht max fine for overstay. It certainly was not for failing to do a 90 day report.

Hi guys,

Here's the rub -

You've clearly misunderstood what happened and why.

Missing a 90-day report merely earns you a fine of 2000 baht, around £40.

What you were fined for has nothing whatever to do with 90-day reports, which have nothing to do with your visa at all. What you had was a non-Imm O visa that allowed you 90 days permission to stay at each entry. People with these visas never have to do 90-day reports because they are never (if they obey the permission to stay date stamped in their passport) in the country for more than 90 days.

What you were fined for was overstaying your visa. This is not being fined for not doing a 90-day report- if you had tried to do one after 90 days you would have been kicked out and fined when you tried to do it. You overstayed your visa and that was the infraction they punished you for.

Your experience is very similar to my own. Started working in BKK in 1990 when, as far a I'm aware, there was no requirement to report. I was vaguely aware that immigration started enforcing the requirement several years later but it was never even mentioned to me and I never did a 90 day report.

Likely there is no cross referencing between the computer system generally used by immigration and whatever system is used for 90 day reports so unless the officer handling your annual extension checks through your passport and manually adds the days in between entry/exit stamps, you simply won't be in the 90 day system so they won't miss you.

Similar to you. I knew you were supposed to do it but as long as I wasn't called on it and extended my visa I didn't worry. Then one year when doing my extension they also stamped in my passport that I had to do a 90 day report. I could no longer plead ignorance and proceeded to pay a 2,000 Baht fine. Have been doing them ever since. My visa was issued in 1990 and I had been extending annually since then. I started doing the 90 day reports about 4 years ago because of that stamp.

Edited by GarryP

Thanks for making that clear Ubon.

So do you know off-hand if a UK national married to a Thai can have a visa that does not require them to leave the country every 90 days or go to get a new stamp at immigration in BKK?

I'm only in Thailand 6 months of the year (and usually travel in and out) but may want to extend that to a more permanent stay in the future.

Seems from other posts that extending every 3 months is normal or mandatory.

Edited by magpie3

Ah well, I'll continue as I am, they have never ever said anything to date. Actually I'm thinking of complaining about the inconvenience of being dragged there once a year for an hour.......5555

some people cause problems for themself, don't come crying on here when the **** hits the fan

Thanks for making that clear Ubon.

So do you know off-hand if a UK national married to a Thai can have a visa that does not require them to leave the country every 90 days or go to get a new stamp at immigration in BKK?

I'm only in Thailand 6 months of the year (and usually travel in and out) but may want to extend that to a more permanent stay in the future.

Seems from other posts that extending every 3 months is normal or mandatory.

You can get a one year extension of stay based upon marriage, Just do 90 reports if you stay in the country that long. You would need to get a re-entry permit to keep you extension valid when you want to leave.the country

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days in your name only or proof of 40k baht income to apply for it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi guys,

Here's the rub -

Depends what "visa" you had !

Airline staff did not cause any problem and they did not "drag you" to immigration !

Most likely you did indeed overstay your "permitted to stay" date and were fined correctly the 20,000Bht(£400) for an overstay equaling or exceeding 40 days which was discovered by immigration as you attempted to exit .

This was nothing to do with 90 day reports and if you care to check your passport there is a stamp detailing the overstay and the fine paid.

You will also have been given a receipt for the fine paid.

What purpose is served by your post ?

I would say this is not 100% true... sad.png

A guy in my condo thought that it was not worth making his 90-days report has he will flying back to his country 5 days latter, still in the authorised period to report. He left, ok. He came back, airport, ok. But 3 months latter for what he thought was his following 90-days, he was told that he was late on reporting from before his travel and got a fine... sad.png

So I would say the timer is reset only if you are 100% clear about your reports.

I would say this is not 100% true... sad.png

A guy in my condo thought that it was not worth making his 90-days report has he will flying back to his country 5 days latter, still in the authorised period to report. He left, ok. He came back, airport, ok. But 3 months latter for what he thought was his following 90-days, he was told that he was late on reporting from before his travel and got a fine... sad.png

So I would say the timer is reset only if you are 100% clear about your reports.

The authorised period to make the report is not an allowance of an extra five days, otherwise the report would be called a 95 day report!

As soon as you have stayed 90 days you MUST maker a report, by law. The 5 days leeway is the time you are allowed to fulfil your existing obligation to make a report- it does NOT excuse you from the need to make a report.

It is like someone kindly allows you five days after a bill becomes due to pay it - you still have to pay.

As soon as you have stayed 90 days you MUST maker a report, by law.

I know that, thanks wink.png

Just wanted to point that not everything about 90-days report is reset when you enter,

and that at least one person thought it would... so probably others too.

As soon as you have stayed 90 days you MUST maker a report, by law.

I know that, thanks wink.png

Just wanted to point that not everything about 90-days report is reset when you enter,

and that at least one person thought it would... so probably others too.

The only thing that is reset is the 90 day count as long as your leave on or before the 90th day. If you leave after the 90th day without reporting nothing is reset because you are already late reporting.