Raid makes a THB100-million dent in illegal supplements racket

webfact

Raid makes a THB100-million dent in illegal supplements racket
By Coconuts Bangkok

15484130071_345201acb0_o.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A huge haul of illegal dietary supplements were seized by the Department of Special Investigations from several companies in Bangkok and neighboring Samut Sakhon province.

Products with a combined street value topping THB100 million were taken during a raid on a factory in Samut Sakhon and other locations in metropolitan Bangkok, according to the DSI’s Suwana Suwanjuta.

Making outrageous claims to turn people’s skin white and cause them to lose 10 kilograms in days, the diet and food pills were sold under the brands Mezo, WP Plus, FBL Plus, Formo and V Shape Body.

Over one million Mezo diet pills were recovered from the Samut Sakhon factory and another 60,000 in Bangkok, King-oua Laohong writes [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/02/05/raid-makes-thb100-million-dent-illegal-supplements-racket

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-02-05

• Like 1

The so-called 'diet' pills will kill you.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Yes perfectly clear from your post.

http://www.prevention.com/mind-body/natural-remedies/diet-pill-dangers-truth-behind-weight-loss-supplements?page=2

What's Really in Those Internet Diet Drugs

Sometimes the additives aren't legal even with a prescription. For example, one supplement targeted by the FDA contained fenproporex, a stimulant not approved in the United States because it can cause arrhythmia and possibly even sudden death.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2012/04/19/5-deadliest-diet-trends/

1. The Japanese Weight Loss Pill

What it is: A supplement imported from Japan known as Xiushentang, marketed as Japan Rapid Weight Loss Diet Pills in three colors: green, yellow, and blue. Ten days ago, the FDA issued a strong warning, stating that the medications contain the chemical phenolphthalein and the weight loss drug sibutramine.

Why it’s dangerous: Phenolphthalein is listed by the FDA as a suspected carcinogen, and sibutramine, sold as the brand name diet drug Meridia, was pulled from the market in 2010 for raising the risk of heart attack and stroke.

• Like 2

http://www.prevention.com/mind-body/natural-remedies/diet-pill-dangers-truth-behind-weight-loss-supplements?page=2

Sometimes the additives aren't legal even with a prescription. For example, one supplement targeted by the FDA contained fenproporex, a stimulant not approved in the United States because it can cause arrhythmia and possibly even sudden death.

What it is: A supplement imported from Japan known as Xiushentang, marketed as Japan Rapid Weight Loss Diet Pills in three colors: green, yellow, and blue. Ten days ago, the FDA issued a strong warning, stating that the medications contain the chemical phenolphthalein and the weight loss drug sibutramine.

Why it’s dangerous: Phenolphthalein is listed by the FDA as a suspected carcinogen, and sibutramine, sold as the brand name diet drug Meridia, was pulled from the market in 2010 for raising the risk of heart attack and stroke.

So called pills can kill you sure.. if your an idiot or sensitive for the stuff inside. For many people sibutramine worked but certain individuals had risks from it. Instead of putting warnings on it and warning people in the risk groups they pulled it for everyone.

So called pills can kill you sure.. if your an idiot or sensitive for the stuff inside. For many people sibutramine worked but certain individuals had risks from it. Instead of putting warnings on it and warning people in the risk groups they pulled it for everyone.

Of course it's only the idiots that die from it, because YOU know what is really inside those illegal counterfeit pills, because it's written on the package.NOT?

Of course it's only the idiots that die from it, because YOU know what is really inside those illegal counterfeit pills, because it's written on the package.NOT?

No I don't but i was talking about banning a substance totally even from well regulated sources just because there is a risk. Going after supplements that are not checked for how much is in there is a different story. I just get tired of nanny states and taking away potentially helpfull stuff because SOME people have a higher risk.

You can eat yourself to death on a MC-Donalds diet and nobody will stop you, you can smoke yourself till you get cancer. You can drink your liver into ruin, but you cant make a informed decision about products that might carry a risk. That is my point and you might not agree with it but I get tired of people telling me what I can't do with my own body. (yes I am for free drugs too)

• Like 2

No I don't but i was talking about banning a substance totally even from well regulated sources just because there is a risk. Going after supplements that are not checked for how much is in there is a different story. I just get tired of nanny states and taking away potentially helpfull stuff because SOME people have a higher risk.

You can eat yourself to death on a MC-Donalds diet and nobody will stop you, you can smoke yourself till you get cancer. You can drink your liver into ruin, but you cant make a informed decision about products that might carry a risk. That is my point and you might not agree with it but I get tired of people telling me what I can't do with my own body. (yes I am for free drugs too)

And how many people would read and correctly understand the warning, if there was one written on the package?

How many people you think read the insert that comes with any medicine they buy?

Edited by Anthony5

And how many people would read and correctly understand the warning, if there was one written on the package?

How many people you think read the inlet that comes with any medicine they buy?

So because of the action of stupid people.. the smarter ones can't use stuff. I hate this policy of banning things because some people will do bad things. Next time we can't drive cars anymore because some of us are not good drivers.

Its real tiresome that responsible people can't get stuff because they want to protect stupid people. Sorry just my opinion. Its always like this they ban everything because its easier as educating and regulating.

I'm with you on this one. I use a lot of supplements but I always research them thoroughly so I know exactly what I'm getting into. I notice some supplements are available in some countries but not others, usually nanny states that take care of the dumb people.

Just reading the US FDA bulletin :

FDA laboratory analysis confirmed that Mezo contains benzylsibutramine, a substance structurally similar to sibutramine. Sibutramine is a controlled substance that was removed from the market in October 2010 for safety reasons. Sibutramine is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, or stroke. This product may also interact, in life-threatening ways, with other medications a consumer may be taking.

That is one hell of a dangerous product. More reading on the subject has told me that it would kill me. At its very basic, Quality policy in Pharma plants is controlled by ISO 9000 and ISO 9001 (although Thailand does have a more complex Code of GMP). The system stipulates that a complaint management Quality System must be in place. I can guarantee a Quality Audit would not find it. No evidence of past adverse reactions. I wonder if they have a Medical Director, which they by law should have.

The Thai FDA should be ashamed of themselves in not picking up on this earlier. Incompetence comes to mind.

Edited by Mot Dang

yes you know like coke kfc etc

• Like 1

Phenolphthalein will have you on a one way street to the toilet violently spilling your guts out of your rear end.

Phenolphthalein will have you on a one way street to the toilet violently spilling your guts out of your rear end.

Never used the product.. but used sibutramine for me it did work but had side effects so I stopped. Others that i know used it with good results but they all did research first and checked if it was dangerous for them and monitored their health while taking it.

My point is that banning stuff because its misused is a nanny state thing. Then again I know my views are not popular at all as I also feel that drugs should be made legal. I am one of those guys who believes you can do with your body what you want as long as you don't bother others.

• Like 1

At its very basic, Quality policy in Pharma plants is controlled by ISO 9000 and ISO 9001 (although Thailand does have a more complex Code of GMP). The system stipulates that a complaint management Quality System must be in place.

Except that ISO 9000 is a joke in Thailand. Companies claim to have it in place, but nobody follows it. Even if some do, it makes no guarantees about the quality of your product - it's all about the quality of your business processes. It would be just fine and dandy if your health supplements contained 500 mg of cat hair, as long as you had an ISO work instruction or business process document that stated it was supposed to be that way. ISO doesn't ensure that you have good practices or policies in place; only that whatever policies you have are consistently followed.

My school has ISO signs everywhere, but we have no process document repository and nobody here follows any process (much less the same process). If you need to know how to do something, you can ask five different people and get five different answers. I can't believe that most SMBs are willing to spend the money and overhead on ISO that would be required to properly implement it - it's just too burdensome and doesn't significantly impact the bottom line.

• Like 1

Hmmmm...I wholly support their actions in respect to removing products that are questionable and or banned for good reason in other countries.

Meantime the Pharmaceutical industry supplies a long list of highly regarded legal prescription drugs that do have a well know and or recognized history of killing people around the world...and that is a sad fact.

The drugs remain on the market for obvious reason (money ..did I mention money ) while the argument to keep the drugs on the market is based on how many people are relieved of their aliments by way of consuming the said drugs while they point out how only 0.01 of the users have died...but that adds up to tens of thousands of people dying over say a 10 to 20 year periods ...so the low death rates are not a concern of any significance ..relative to how many people it helps.

But meantime have these diet pills resulted in as many deaths as (some ) of the legal pharmaceutical drugs.

Funny, the New York State Attorney General just did something similar. He sent agents around to several of the biggest retailers, Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, a couple others I forget, and bought bottles of their house brand herbal supplements. Bear in mind these are the "house brand," they have the name of the corporation on them, so the reputation of the corporation is at risk. Most of the samples contained none of the herb that was on the label. One of the items, which was labeled "gluten free" was actually made up of wheat flour. Potentially very dangerous. These are all legal supplements. Under U.S. law they don't have to prove they actually provide any benefit, but the manufacturers may be sued for damages if they actually cause harm (not easy to prove, though). Waiting to see if any prosecution for fraud comes out of this. Not likely, but who knows?

Funny, the New York State Attorney General just did something similar. He sent agents around to several of the biggest retailers, Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, a couple others I forget, and bought bottles of their house brand herbal supplements. Bear in mind these are the "house brand," they have the name of the corporation on them, so the reputation of the corporation is at risk. Most of the samples contained none of the herb that was on the label. One of the items, which was labeled "gluten free" was actually made up of wheat flour. Potentially very dangerous. These are all legal supplements. Under U.S. law they don't have to prove they actually provide any benefit, but the manufacturers may be sued for damages if they actually cause harm (not easy to prove, though). Waiting to see if any prosecution for fraud comes out of this. Not likely, but who knows?

So you are saying that what happens in the states is really no different to what has been happening here? I predict stars and stripes will descend upon that one ! :)

Well buying asthma medicine used to produce leaner meat in animals is no problem in Bangkok. The medication called 'Clenbuterol' can be bought OTC from pharmacies without trouble in lower Sukhumvit. Its illegal in most countries, its banned in sports and maybe used in a couple of countries for asthma. The half-life is considered too long. The doses used for weightloss are much higher than therapeutic dosages. It is considered a dangerous chemical. And its a stimulant, but not one that can be used recreationally.

Edited by BKKBobby

C'mon robblok, get real. Why should the rest of society pick up the financial tab for looking after you, because you want to do what you want with your own body? coffee1.gif

I guess the words, personal responsibility and accountability are not in your dictionary?

C'mon robblok, get real. Why should the rest of society pick up the financial tab for looking after you, because you want to do what you want with your own body? coffee1.gif

I guess the words, personal responsibility and accountability are not in your dictionary?

Best to ask the obese alcoholic cigarette smokers on that one

facepalm.gif

At its very basic, Quality policy in Pharma plants is controlled by ISO 9000 and ISO 9001 (although Thailand does have a more complex Code of GMP). The system stipulates that a complaint management Quality System must be in place.

Except that ISO 9000 is a joke in Thailand. Companies claim to have it in place, but nobody follows it. Even if some do, it makes no guarantees about the quality of your product - it's all about the quality of your business processes. It would be just fine and dandy if your health supplements contained 500 mg of cat hair, as long as you had an ISO work instruction or business process document that stated it was supposed to be that way. ISO doesn't ensure that you have good practices or policies in place; only that whatever policies you have are consistently followed.

My school has ISO signs everywhere, but we have no process document repository and nobody here follows any process (much less the same process). If you need to know how to do something, you can ask five different people and get five different answers. I can't believe that most SMBs are willing to spend the money and overhead on ISO that would be required to properly implement it - it's just too burdensome and doesn't significantly impact the bottom line.

Yes you are right, well stated.

That is why I am insured.. nobody needs to pick up my tab