NBC anchor Brian Williams taking himself off air temporarily

Lite Beer

NBC anchor Brian Williams taking himself off air temporarily
LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Brian Williams is stepping away temporarily from the "NBC Nightly News" amid questions about his memories of war coverage in Iraq, saying it has become "painfully apparent" to him that he has become a distracting news story.

In a memo Saturday to NBC News staff that was released by the network, the anchorman said that as managing editor of "NBC Nightly News" he is taking himself off the broadcast for several days. Weekend anchor Lester Holt will fill in, Williams said.

"In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions," Williams said in his memo.

"Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us," he wrote.

Williams has apologized for falsely saying on the air that he was in a helicopter hit by a rocket-propelled grenade while covering the Iraq War in 2003.

Questions have also been raised about his claim that he saw a body or bodies in the Hurricane Katrina floodwaters that hit New Orleans.

NBC News President Deborah Turness said in an internal memo Friday that the network has assigned the head of its own investigative unit to look into Williams' statements.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-08

It's too bad this happen. I like the way he presents the news. I watch NBC Evening News every day online and enjoy his broadcast. But like every other reporter they want to be part of the news instead of just presenting the news.

The BBC have a similar puffed up self important 'correspondent' John Simpson,who just flies in to the latest war zone or disaster area to do his "I am here in the action" piece to camera before flying back out.

• Like 1

He gets to join Hillary Clinton in getting caught in exaggerating the truth about his experiences in war zones.

It's always sad when the people reporting the news become the news. It doesn't lend anything to his credibility.

In the original interview Hillary smiled knowingly as she recalled ' running for cover to the terminal building '.

When the truth came out a serious looking .Hillary simply said she ' mis-spoke ' which is a euphemism for ... and that was more or less it. Can't remember there was much of a damaging reaction although there may have been more in the US than was reported on the international channels.

• Like 1

So from that, we can conclude that Hillary's parents were less than truthful as well. It might be difficult to explain to a child that you were named after your father's mistress, though. tongue.png

Especially if the child is a boy.giggle.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The BBC have a similar puffed up self important 'correspondent' John Simpson,who just flies in to the latest war zone or disaster area to do his "I am here in the action" piece to camera before flying back out.

biggrin.png If we heard that John Simpson was coming to the 'theatre' it was pretty much assured that the trouble was on its way to be over.

However, if we heard it was Kate Adie coming instead, then we knew things were going to kick off. Mostly in a big way.

Amazing woman...............wink.png

It's too bad this happen. I like the way he presents the news. I watch NBC Evening News every day online and enjoy his broadcast. But like every other reporter they want to be part of the news instead of just presenting the news.

And just a reporter...not a rich man, nor a politician.

If corrupted values are so cheap...what happens to the "Leaders" of modern day countries...when their power is unchallenged?

20 years ago, Williams would have resigned in shame. Alas, we're living in a different time in which the public has a limited attention span and markedly lower ethical standards.

I would venture to guess that there are legions of people combing through everything Williams has said on camera to find any other exaggerations or inconsistencies. Williams makes a lot of money for NBC's parent company Comcast, and ultimately they'll decide if his decreased credibility is a liability to their bottom line.

• Like 1

Not a good thing to do. At all!

But when it comes down to making up news, exaggerated news, and down right lies, no news shows can do it better, or more often, than Fox"news".

Fox News has PLENTY of competition in the lie department, from pretty every other news station. The difference is that the other channel's exaggerations and fabrications are mostly ignored. Brian Williams is just unlucky as he got away with it for years.

Just a few weeks ago, CNN attacked Fox News over statements about Muslim no-go zones in Europe, but CNN had guests on its OWN programs who made similar statements that also went unchallenged by their hosts. What hypocrites!

60% of the news statements made on Fox are mostly false, false or ridiculous and that doesn't even include the statements made by politicians or paid spokespeople. The other networks aren't even close.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/

Interesting how the Fox lemmings made this about Hillary. Really...try turning it off occasionally.

I knew cops who staged crimes, and firefighters who lit a match in abandoned buildings.

Most folks claimed these people were bored, but really they were immature personalities that craved attention; having people believe they were courageous.

Man that is a really good description of me.

• Like 2

He gets to join Hillary Clinton in getting caught in exaggerating the truth about his experiences in war zones.

It's always sad when the people reporting the news become the news. It doesn't lend anything to his credibility.

Well, don't forget the shrub, he successfully defended both Texas and Alabama from Vietnamese invasion and the only time any of his closest advisers had war time experience was when Cheney shot 78 year old Harry Whittington during a hunting trip.

Besides, Williams did far less than most of the military desk jockeys who wear your ears out with their war stories. The ones who were really in the thick of it, rarely talk about it.

Not a good thing to do. At all!

But when it comes down to making up news, exaggerated news, and down right lies, no news shows can do it better, or more often, than Fox"news".

Fox News has PLENTY of competition in the lie department, from pretty every other news station. The difference is that the other channel's exaggerations and fabrications are mostly ignored. Brian Williams is just unlucky as he got away with it for years.

Just a few weeks ago, CNN attacked Fox News over statements about Muslim no-go zones in Europe, but CNN had guests on its OWN programs who made similar statements that also went unchallenged by their hosts. What hypocrites!

Freedom of the press comes with a price. As I quote Fox News...."We report..you decide".

Not everyone has a brain...but for those that do, take anything you hear with a grain of salt.

Edited by slipperylobster

Many people put a great deal of trust in their news sources and the people reporting it, so yes, it is newsworthy for those that have a concern.

For others, probably not so newsworthy.

Guess it is newsworthy for Americans but hardly World News imo.