Thailand's OBEC rejects condom vending machines in schools

webfact

OBEC rejects condom vending machines in schools

9-2-2558-14-51-56-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The plan of the Ministry of Public Health to have secondary educational schools and vocational colleges to have condom vending machines installed under its 2015-2019 strategy to prevent unwanted pregnancy and AIDs among teenagers is likely to be aborted after the Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) voiced strong opposition.

OBEC secretary-general Kamol Rodklai said he strongly disagreed with the strategy and would definitely disallow such vending machines at schools and colleges under the office’s supervision,

He said the ministry should campaign against unwanted pregnancy and AIDs through other method which is more useful than having the condom vending machines putting in schools.

He said having the condom vending machines in schools could be a two edged blade.

He said if the Ministry of Public Health formally requests the installation of these machines at schools, he would definitely reject the request.

He said these machines should be in public restrooms, and entertainment venues, rather than in schools.

He also said condoms are now available at convenience stores.

Having condom vending machines in schools could encourage teenagers to have premature sex which is inappropriate, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/obec-rejects-condom-vending-machines-schools

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-09

Nothing to do about morals. It was proposed solely by people that have active business interests in both the vending machines and the condom manufacture/distribution. On the other hand it was rejected by OBEC as they have no business interest and hence no back handers coming their way. Wait a few months and it will all be worked out so that the skimming is more proportional. Morals, ethics, unwanted pregnancies - total poppycock just hypocrisy where corruption rules the day.

• Like 2

"Having condom vending machines in schools could encourage teenagers to have premature sex which is inappropriate, he added."

This same lame brain and pseudo-conservative statement was made by American left-wingnuts, but evidence showed the assumption to be both false and misleading -- providing birth control does not encourage sex. In areas where birth control was strictly regulated, they had the same number of sexually active teenagers, just more pregnancies.

People like what science can give them, but they do not like the questions that it asks (have a frankenweenie with your mustard gas condescension OBEC).

• Like 2

"Having condom vending machines in schools could encourage teenagers to have premature sex which is inappropriate".

Please define "inappropriate" and who is the decision maker?

I would accept Buddha himself, Jesus, but not some general secretary.

And would it not be a much more terrible sin by secretary-general Kamol Rodklai if his actions cause HIV infection at some young people, than having sex?

• Like 1

"Having condom vending machines in schools could encourage teenagers to have premature sex which is inappropriate, he added."

This same lame brain and pseudo-conservative statement was made by American left-wingnuts, but evidence showed the assumption to be both false and misleading -- providing birth control does not encourage sex. In areas where birth control was strictly regulated, they had the same number of sexually active teenagers, just more pregnancies.

People like what science can give them, but they do not like the questions that it asks (have a frankenweenie with your mustard gas condescension OBEC).

That does depend upon the general levels of intelligencia, does it not?

that would be American right-wingnuts... wink.png

• Like 1

I agree Kamol actually. Having condom machines in schools promotes teenage sex, and nothing less.

Irrelevant be it Valentine's day or Songkran or any day, openly inviting students to buy condoms is wrong. If they don't have the balls to buy a condom at 7/11 WhamBam, I'd be surprised if they have the balls to get an erection. Kidding, of course... but that aside...

Did you have condom machines in your school? I certainly didn't, and I don't believe many Western European or American schools do either.

Don't you think it's the responsibilty of parents to ensure where their kids are and what extra-curricular activities they are upto? OK, I even accept that many Thai parents are not upto that, but to place any kind of pregnancy control upon any school is just ludicrous and a get out clause by any parent who is irresponsible!

Well, in my school we had great sex-ed and could pick up free condoms at the nurses office any time. No questions asked. Same thing at the youth clinic at the hospital.

• Like 1

I agree Kamol actually. Having condom machines in schools promotes teenage sex, and nothing less.

Irrelevant be it Valentine's day or Songkran or any day, openly inviting students to buy condoms is wrong. If they don't have the balls to buy a condom at 7/11 WhamBam, I'd be surprised if they have the balls to get an erection. Kidding, of course... but that aside...

Did you have condom machines in your school? I certainly didn't, and I don't believe many Western European or American schools do either.

Don't you think it's the responsibilty of parents to ensure where their kids are and what extra-curricular activities they are upto? OK, I even accept that many Thai parents are not upto that, but to place any kind of pregnancy control upon any school is just ludicrous and a get out clause by any parent who is irresponsible!

This is bigotry and nothing else, especially in a country like thailand where teenage pregnancy ruins so many lives.

Yes they are shy to go seven eleven to buy condoms but guess what? they choose to have sex unprotected instead of nothing...strange no, for teenagers who are daily confronted to hormones and over sexualized life style.

And guess what? they don't have the heavy weight of christianity religion shaming machine toward sex on them...

You may be quite old and used the "mano a mano" while 17 but nowadays it's a different story old chap'

Live in the present, not in the past and adapt, not stick to bigotry rules,...i know it may be against one of your principles but evolution and adaptation is the best key to survive, not sticking to "when i was young we didn't have condom machines" jokes

Too shy or lack of money to buy at 7-Eleven, but there was news a few months back that plastic bags were used, the kind used to bag food.

Sex education in Thailand? You must be joking.

Yes, hormones play a big part. Teenagers will have sex regardless and to be able to have a condom available may not mean they will use them (especially the boys). Yet, if a girl has one in her bag or about her person, it is easier to persuade the boy to use it if he wants sex. His raging erection will likely rule his head. No condom = no sex? OK, I'll wear it.

How many female Thai people will go to a shop and buy condoms? Not many at all. Buying a condom immediately puts them down as a bad girl, a wanton girl. To me, she will be a sensible girl.

Yes, we used to get free condoms and still do in the U.K. from nurses, doctors, family planning clinics. A sensible approach IMHO.

• Like 1

Well, in my school we had great sex-ed and could pick up free condoms at the nurses office any time. No questions asked. Same thing at the youth clinic at the hospital.

Which (the sex education for a start) is what Thailand should be proposing first rather than their only though to be throwing around condoms willy nilly.

Here in this civilised western country we also have great sex education class starting early in intermediate class. We do not have condom vending machines in schools. We have school health nurses who also deal with sexual issues for students. The point Commerce is getting at is correct is that Thai's parents responsibilities and ownership to their childrens issues is dismal. The starting points are education not only of children but parents and thai society as a whole.

Edited by Roadman
  • Like 1

With these Victorian attitudes and arch-conservative opinions (ironically in a country with one of the largest commercial sex industries in the world), I sometimes wonder where all those 65 million Thais came from. Perhaps they grew on trees.

I am also wondering why Thailand has the second highest teenage pregnancy rate in ASEAN. Maybe ghosts impregnate all those girls, who knows.

It is practically impossible to prevent "immature sex". Where there's a will (or curiosity), there's a way. But what CAN be prevented are unwanted pregnancies and the spread of STDs.

By the responsibilities of parents, families and cause for function being educated first at home institutions, and not schools may I add??

I remember being told by an experienced primary school teacher in a rural area that at a PTA meeting she was appalled at the attitude of the parents who simply shirked all suggestion of responsibility and expected the school to do everything.

This meant not just formal education but also the ' duties 'and family input that comes from normal parenting.

No condom machines in schools: Kamol
Supinda na Mahachai
Pungchumpoo Prasert
The Nation

Other ways to fight hiv, students don't think much about sex: commission chief

BANGKOK: -- KAMOL RODKLAI, head of the Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec), said yesterday that he would not allow the installation of condom machines at secondary schools.

"I disagree and will not allow condom-dispensing machines in schools. I want the campaign to be [conducted] in another way. The students also don't really think much about [sex], so there is no need to install the devices in schools," he said.

Making condoms available in schools is part of the Public Health Ministry's plans to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids, which also includes providing information to the public.

Kamol said he had not received any request yet to install condom machines, but if he did, he would certainly turn it down. Installing such a device, he said, could become a double-edged sword by encouraging students to be curious about sex prematurely.

Aids Access Foundation director Nimit Tienudom, however, said the Public Health Ministry's policy to reintroduce condom-vending machines at schools could help prevent sexually transmitted diseases, especially Aids, and premature pregnancy.

"This measure would help youngsters buy condoms cheaply, and they would not need to face sellers," he said.

Nimit said his foundation would propose that the Public Health Ministry propel forward a national agenda for condom access to ensure they are sufficiently and thoroughly distributed, while also emphasising the importance of condom usage to prevent sexually related problems.

Condom vending machines were first installed in schools in 2011; Bangkok's Ban Bangkapi School got four of them. However, they lasted only six months before the project folded amid protests by students and parents.

Department of Disease Control chief Dr Sophon Mekthon said the latest plan to install condom machines was part of a five-year strategic plan (2015-2019) of the National Aids Prevention and Alleviation Committee to boost youth access to protection. However, it would not be compulsory. If a school is ready to adopt this scheme, the department is prepared to install the machines, while those who thought there were better ways to prevent HIV/Aids among youth could do as they saw fit. The schools already provided lessons about safe sex.

Regarding the policy to hand out clean needles to drug addicts, he said it remained unclear through which channel these needles would be distributed. Non-governmental organisations with wide information networks were working on these details.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/No-condom-machines-in-schools-Kamol-30253725.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-10

This would not happen in a western country, Maybe they should start to teach the kids instead of saying got 20B teach yourself... Teaching methods here are shocking to start with. Do something about them first

Thailand is so hypocritical it defends 'moral values' yet we have prostitutes everywhere, it 'protects kids morals' yet does nothing to protect young girls and unwanted pregnancies and it gushes about 'tradition' and 'Thainess' and allows continual sexual exploitation pretending it 'doesn't exist'

condom machines is the lesser of the two evils as there is NO sex education, NO sense of self-responsibility taught to kids and certainly NO legal protections AFTER they get pregnant to ensure the boys are held accountable (financially mostly)

• Like 1