Baker's yeast

SidJames

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll trade you some Alaska sourdough pancakes for whatever you're making sometime! BTW, in Alaska we always have a batch of sourdough starter going (yeast, flour, water) in a jar in the fridge; you can always add more to make more; add a little to the bread or pancakes for that special Alaska/Canada sourdough taste! Bon appetite! … ... Cinnamon rolls with walnut brown sugar topping.. … … you got me going now...

Edited by TerrylSky

<p>

Finding dry/instant yeast is the easiest part.I use Fermipan. Works very well.If your recipe calls for 2 gr fresh yeast, use 6 gr. dry yeast, which equals 2 tea (or coffee?) spoons.

2 gr is meant to be 20 gr right? Check yrself out next time please.
who's the idiot here? Proportion or Ratio of Flour to YeastOne packet of dry yeast per 3 cups of flour0.5% of the weight of the dry flour in the recipe.
  • For example, for 500 grams of flour, use about 2.5 grams of yeast. This is just under 1 teaspoon.
Seems you are the idiot here since you cannot read properly.laugh.pngThe statement was about the ratio of fresh yeast to instant dry yeast. facepalm.gif

Topic has changed in insulting each other ?

Is dry (instant) yeast OK?

From another thread.

Don't know whether this will serve you...

"Instant yeast" (dry yeast?) from TOPS onlne shop.

Seems to be well known. Misc Thai websites show it.

http://topsshoponline.tops.co.th/p/Bakingingredients/Perfect-Instant-Yeast-34g

8850543282010.jpg

Thais use the foreign loanword, sounds like "yeast" without the "s": "yeat".

Thai script here to printout:

http://www.thai-language.com/id/142961

I remember to have seen it at Friendship.

(while the picture is from TOPs online shop)

Tesco Lotus also stock this one although I've had mixed results getting the dough to rise using this.

Bread yeast and Brewers yeast and for that matter wine yeast are all different species or varieties of saccharomyces, that is the yeast fungus put simply.

Dried yeast is the fungus in a dormant form, it gets activated and starts to divide and produce CO2 gas when fed with sugar and water as it is a plant, albeit one that does not need light.

Anymore info needed, just ask. You can't usually use one type of yeast for another purpose, there are even specific strains of yeast like champagne yeast used for each purpose.

Most domestic bread recipes call for dried yeast, and they generally point this out clearly. Fresh yeast is uncommon outside of professional bakeries.

There are hundreds of thousands of bread recipes on the internet so it should not be hard to find one that suits your yeast.

Got this today at mackro.

Fermipan red instant yeast.

Now I'm confused as whether to multiply or divide by 3, or leave as is.

400gm flour + 200gm water + 12gm fermiplan = bread

you can reduce the yeast to 8gm and it still works, but takes a lot longer to rise.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

400gm flour + 200gm water + 12gm fermiplan = bread

I would not eat that bread.

At the very least it needs a little salt in the recipe and for a crisp crust I would also want to spray the risen loaf with salty water before baking. Some people would want to add a little fat as well.

Finally got my bread machine to work! I used 12g of yeast with 520g flour, 300ml water, 2 tbl of milk powder, salt, 20g butter. The bread totally filled the machine.

I have had the machine 5 years, and after using half a dozen times without success, it was stored in the attic. It will now be used all the time!

I also made a fruit cake and used baking soda in the oven.

Thanks peeps

• 9 months later...

Tops in Central have excellent flour of various types (white/brown/strong/self-raising) imported from the UK (Waitrose etc). Some of it is organic. Quite expensive as you might expect.

The packs are labelled clearly. Get the "strong bread" ones.

I think there is a lot of rubbish talked about bread flour and baking

I have baked my own loves cakes etc for over 25 years.

Never used special flour and had great results.

If you use the local flour, 40 B/kg and add some raising agent (you can buy from Tesco etc) cakes, pastries come out well.

I usually make vanilla slices 18 at a time & mince pies 75 at a time.

You don't need to make baking hard, just taste.

Edited by edd

Also yeast you can buy at tesco just ask the bakery staff where it is.

They use there own yeast.

Its in brown bottles for small amounts or an oblong packet for larger amounts.

Good luck with your baking.

There is nothing better than the smell of fresh baked bread in the morning.