Review: Why subscribe to Office when so much is free?

thai tech

Review: Why subscribe to Office when so much is free?

office-logo_v3-700x336.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — Just as I was warming up to choosing a Microsoft Office 365 subscription over making a one-time software purchase, Microsoft started giving away a lot of subscription benefits for free. The company now offers Word, Excel and others at no cost on most mobile devices.

It’s a smart move by Microsoft, but it makes me wonder whether you really need a subscription, which starts at $70 a year.

The subscription will appeal to people who use Office apps on traditional Windows or Mac computers or Windows tablets, such as the Surface Pro 3. Those who primarily use iOS and Android mobile devices can probably stick with free apps. What’s right for you comes down to whether you need a PC or can get things done with just your smartphone or tablet. Here’s what to consider.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/review-subscribe-office-much-free/4506/

not so relevant between a full functioned desktop application on PC/Mac vs a simplified app on tablet or mobile device. for whose just use couple of lines of text, few simple slides, or a straightforward table, Office app is free and is workable. if you are a heavy user, you don't want to be hours in front of this trim-down app.

however, Microsoft Office, or other desktop application is really a choice; for one, OpenOffice is as beautiful !

The subscription will appeal to people who use Office apps on traditional Windows or Mac computers or Windows tablets...

Whoever wrote that has obviously never tried to use MS Office on a Mac. It's the buggiest, most POS software available for OSX.

There's not much I like in software that's cloud based. The only one I can think of is LastPass.

I want to install my software, have it be part of my system, and image my drives regularly in case I need recovery. I have always owned Office and I hope they never take that ability away. If they do I'll use Office 2013 as long as I can and then figure out something else.

• Like 2

The subscription will appeal to people who use Office apps on traditional Windows or Mac computers or Windows tablets...

Whoever wrote that has obviously never tried to use MS Office on a Mac. It's the buggiest, most POS software available for OSX.

I think that is not an accident wink.png

There's not much I like in software that's cloud based. The only one I can think of is LastPass.

I want to install my software, have it be part of my system, and image my drives regularly in case I need recovery. I have always owned Office and I hope they never take that ability away. If they do I'll use Office 2013 as long as I can and then figure out something else.

Office365 subscribers have full access to download and install the regular desktop versions of Office, and I suspect that the vast majority of Office365 users only use the desktop software.

• Like 1

I think that is not an accident wink.png

Perhaps not... but a mistake, it is. They're not going to retain market share in the space when people are literally forced to install OpenOffice/LibreOffice just to open big spreadhseets, for example.

We started weaning all staff off Outlook earlier this year - with that final "dependancy" gone, there's simply no need for us to keep paying for 100+ Office365 licenses anymore.

Edited by IMHO

I created an original document in open office or freeware only to find it was messed up when opened in ms office.

That was a while ago, are there still compatibility issues?

Could also have something to do with versions, levels and software releases.

I had compatibility problems last time I tried to move documents between OO and MS Word/Excel. It had to do with date/time formatting. Spent a few days chasing it around, never solved it. There seemed to be a "shhh! We don't talk about that!" aspect to this problem in the OO community. That was maybe 2 years ago. Might try to find out if they fixed it if I get bored enough. In the meantime my old OEM version of Office 2007 serves its purpose.

• Like 1

I use Open Office. Can save as PDF if you choose

Any ideas about a free PDF Program,all the ones I have looked at online,require a monthly payment,including Adobe. I only need to fill out a form once in a Blue moon,mainly because it's a lot faster than by hand,and easy to correct typing errors ?

Any ideas about a free PDF Program,all the ones I have looked at online,require a monthly payment,including Adobe. I only need to fill out a form once in a Blue moon,mainly because it's a lot faster than by hand,and easy to correct typing errors ?

As noted, both Open Office and Libre Office (I prefer the latter) are able to "print" any document they support as PDF. Mac OS X also has the ability to "print" anything as PDF.

• Like 1

Microsoft Word will convert to pdf. file>save as> .pdf.

• Like 1

I don't just want to save to PDF! I want to do a whole lot more and I want my complex docs and spread sheets to sync with everyone else I communicate with and I want it to have no lag when I select menu items without any internet access at times. I want my spread sheet macros to run instantly. I'm staying with Office 2013 and my 6 months activation key!

Edited by MJKT2014

Having looked into this just recently, and the vast difference in price from UK/US/AU & Thailand in subscription prices, I asked Microsoft help desk why ?

The answer "we cannot comment on that".

I then asked if it was Ok for me to buy it in Thailand as that was the cheapest option and take it to use in the Uk on business ? ie: Can it travel?, The answer NO !

and the reason given was that ALL 365 subscriptions are now "regionalised" and wont work if you travel out of region !!!

So I gave the scenario of a Businessman travelling from the Uk to work at his business in Asia, the reply "you would need TWO subscriptions, one for Europe and one for Asia.

So, I'll be sticking with my Microsoft 2010 on the machine, and occasionally using the FREE web apps.

My suggestion to anyone subscribing, is get a good VPN so it will work where you want it to.

I then asked if it was Ok for me to buy it in Thailand as that was the cheapest option and take it to use in the Uk on business ? ie: Can it travel?, The answer NO !

and the reason given was that ALL 365 subscriptions are now "regionalised" and wont work if you travel out of region !!!

Microsoft help / sale desk's answer was not very precise. YES, some Microsoft products have regional discount for South East Asia countries, like Thailand. then you have to ACTIVATE these applications within these specific countries. once installed and activated, you can you these applications where else you want.

I have Office 365 subscription that purchased in Thailand, it was cheaper than that in Singapore or in Hong Kong. I been travelled with this application on a notebook in different countries different regions, no problem.

Having looked into this just recently, and the vast difference in price from UK/US/AU & Thailand in subscription prices, I asked Microsoft help desk why ?

The answer "we cannot comment on that".

So I gave the scenario of a Businessman travelling from the Uk to work at his business in Asia, the reply "you would need TWO subscriptions, one for Europe and one for Asia.

So, I'll be sticking with my Microsoft 2010 on the machine, and occasionally using the FREE web apps.

My suggestion to anyone subscribing, is get a good VPN so it will work where you want it to.

They lied to you - it will work anywhere.

We have around 20 AU staff using a Thai bought subscription for over 3 years now ;)