Rare anti-coup protest in Thailand

Lite Beer

Just to throw in a few names to establish some perspective here: Chalerm, Plodsaprop, Snoh, hands up who wants that shower back. Forget Barbie, she's an airhead nobody, but a rather effective New Face of Taksinism.

Not sure what you want to say but putting into perspective all those you mentioned are legitimate elected MPs. Now to put that into current perspective, none in the government are elected. Now that is a face of militarism.

What I want to spell out is that that this is the caliber of 'elected' cabinet members Thailand would be stuck with in perpetuity if PTP had been allowed on it's untrammeled way.

I don't believe for one moment all the hysteria about the junta or their alleged appointees being able to turn Thailand into N.Korea II. The World has moved on. Citizens are able to access social media and the fact that protests are reduced to a few students eating sandwiches shows the overwhelming majority understand Taksin and his megalomaniac money grubbing ways had to be stopped.

However I also believe he should have been left to implode, as he surely would have done back in 2006 when his popularity was at an all time low. An opportunity lost. Thailand is balancing itself out. Hard lessons hopefully learned.

You are entitle to your Hyde Park corner but if you wish to be taken seriously, you need to check your facts. Snob was not a cabinet minister.

I wonder what the reaction would have been had Prayuth said "I warn the protesters not to come, otherwise they will all be arrested. There will be no space reserved for the protest but only jails awaiting them. There will be no talk whatsoever, only arrests. And the Chiang Mai people should not let these people, who are like garbage, mess around."

That is a typical narrative of a ruthless Junta right? Imagine the uproar had Prayuth said that. The UDD supporters would be up in arms. TVF would have a melt down from the apologists coming out denouncing him and stating "See, they are bad" or "This is no surprise from the Junta" or "The Junta have really shown their true colors here"

Unfortunately it wasn't a quote from Prayuth. It was a quote from the last government's deputy PM.

Let that sink in. This is from a government that purported to be democratic. The CM people he is referring to is the ruthless terrorist group called RCM51. An organization of which had no issues with violently attacking gays, killing DJ's fathers or attacking anyone else that disagreed with the terrorist aka UDD ethos in CM.

Seems the Junta are showing more signs of democratic tendencies than the PTP did. AND the Junta have never ever purported to be democratic unlike the PTP.

Now when the deputy PM stated the above there was silence front the yingluck camp. There was even justification of it simply because the deputy PM was a PTP member. Statements were witnessed like "Plodprasop has a point" or "They don't need protestors ruining the imagine of Thailand" or "The protestors are yellows in disguise so should all be arrested anyway" or "They should protest away from the water summit so as not to be seen by inter nation press" Not one red denounced this. Democracy when it suits them. Justification for a lack there of when it doesn't.

No hint of that cancerous UDD narrative here. A few arrests and the journey towards democracy continues. The democracy that will ensure that democratically elected deputy PM's cannot get away with being undemocratic 1 second after the ballot box results are finalized and that protestors are NOT threatened by terrorist organizations if they dare try to have their voice heard. It is because of Plodprasops ilk and underlying, violent streak that Marshal law is in place and is why reform is needed.

Well done to the Junta for showing such restraint. The next government could learn a few things from this Junta.

I'm sensing a pattern in your logic... 'junta for democracy' ... 'bombing for peace' ... ' screwing for virginity'

I'm seeing a pattern in the replies by UDD supporters.

Unintellectual rebuttals with an inability to articulate anything more than a string of words that denounce, belittle or condescend me.

Have you seriously nothing to say regarding my comment? Nothing at all except a smart ass comment that my 4 year old son could have expressed better?

Nothing on the deputy PM? Nothing on their threats towards protestors?

A simple smart ass comment toward me that makes you feel better heay.

Have a great day my friend and I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Wow you certainly took a big slurp of vinegar today !

• Like 1

I just posted that I "Like" ddjamie's post. He had some very thoughtful comments in support of Phrayut that I agree with. In the situation that was confronting Thailand last May, a coup might actually have been the only reasonable option.

I truly hope the good General succeeds in his efforts to revamp the Thai political scene, but I also hope that he understands that big things spawn from small beginnings.

The army let the situation occur, they supported the Yellow crims behind the scenes, they armed Sutheps thugs, they funded the illegal rioting, they undermined the police and they where derelict in their self appointed duty of protecting the Thai people from internal threats. He cannot succeed, he can only delay the inevitable, enjoy your 5 minutes of nationalistic, right wing semi-fascism, democracy always triumphs.

No it was Thaksin that started it all, the PTP would still be in power if he had not let them add his name to the amnesty list (after they send the opposition home to vote on it an other pearl of democratic example). It was this that channeled the opposition and led to the downfall of the PTP and the rule of the junta. When will the redshirts get their facts straight. Probably never as it im embarrassing to them to see how selfish their leader is and how he breaks it all down.

Even the redshirt leaders acknowledge that it was this action that led to the demise of the government.

So Thaksin is behind all the woes in Thailand since 1932 then and all 19 coups were his fault?

I take it you can't find the common denominator in every single coup that's took place as you're too busy looking at the trees and unable to see the woods?

Sure Thaksin is a megalomaniac but he's in good company these days as there's a few about who are cut from the same cloth but it's just a different colour ie, yellow and green!

We are discussing the latest coup and how it could happen.. without Thaksin adding his name to the list there would not be a coup as it would not have gotten the response to start protesting. if you want to go back in history have fun, i prefer to keep it current.

A famous quote says something along the lines of "those who don't learn from history live to make the same mistakes"

Robblok ......lost cause

Why - because he says what he believes?

Did Thaksin orchestrate PTP to use an amnesty bill to whitewash his conviction, sentence, bail jumping and all outstanding charges?

Did they do as told - 310-0 after sending the opposition home before the vote and conning them the vote would be the next day?

Would seem Rob's correct.

Thaksin must have reeled at the strength at public outrages against the whitewash of his crimes and those of his clan. Then came the usual statements, changes in tactics, parallel attacks, murders and intimidation, with calls to return home, trust us and lies the amnesty bill was withdrawn. Many thought that Thaksin was trying to provoke a coup to garner international support and maybe intervention. His toady cousin was running around trying to plead the case.

How long would the army of stayed out? Were the calls for Lana insurrection, civil war, marching on Bangkok and the applauding Children's murders designed to prompt the military into action? Or would the military have acted anyway?

Thaksin needed that bill - he can't get back without it. A jail sentence, bail jumping charges, and 15 serious criminal charges waiting without it. Once parliament was dissolved, a new election before any reforms frustrated, he was not going to be in control when the dubious bill returned to the house and could be voted into law. Maybe he thought a coup might bring such pressure on Thailand to hold new elections quick;y, and without reforms.

• Like 1

I just posted that I "Like" ddjamie's post. He had some very thoughtful comments in support of Phrayut that I agree with. In the situation that was confronting Thailand last May, a coup might actually have been the only reasonable option.

I truly hope the good General succeeds in his efforts to revamp the Thai political scene, but I also hope that he understands that big things spawn from small beginnings.

The army let the situation occur, they supported the Yellow crims behind the scenes, they armed Sutheps thugs, they funded the illegal rioting, they undermined the police and they where derelict in their self appointed duty of protecting the Thai people from internal threats. He cannot succeed, he can only delay the inevitable, enjoy your 5 minutes of nationalistic, right wing semi-fascism, democracy always triumphs.

No it was Thaksin that started it all, the PTP would still be in power if he had not let them add his name to the amnesty list (after they send the opposition home to vote on it an other pearl of democratic example). It was this that channeled the opposition and led to the downfall of the PTP and the rule of the junta. When will the redshirts get their facts straight. Probably never as it im embarrassing to them to see how selfish their leader is and how he breaks it all down.

Even the redshirt leaders acknowledge that it was this action that led to the demise of the government.

no, the plan for the uprising was ready springtime 2013, I was informed by "yellow" friends about the conspiracy in july 2013, months before the amnesty bill voting.

Tinfoil had alert.. without that enormous overreach on Thaksin his side the PTP would still be firm in place. All this can be brought back to Thaksin.. just like most of the problems in this country. It must really hurt the reds that it is their leader that helped the coupmakers gain support.

And I heard from the postman that Thaksin is truly an alien.. (i always like those conspiracy nuts they really make my day)

I guess those steroids you're taking have had side-effects. Hitler blamed all the problems in Germany on the Jews, and you sir seem to be trying to repeat this lie by blaming all the problems in Thailand on Thaksin and the "red shirts". Your final comment suggests that you are smoking illegal substances too.

• Like 1

Let Freedom Ring.

So Thaksin can buy the election.....500 Baht.....

Yes like did so many else before Thaksin. One of the main goals of 1997 constitution was to stop vote buying. Thaksin was that time new in politics so that addition was not made because of him. It was made because of who? Are you really so naive that you think there will be no vote buying without T? If you agree please support the idea that the next elections will be monitored by an external (foreign) body

The students are gradually ramping up the dissent. The parade last week, now this.

The junta will be having sleepless nights over what's coming next and how to deal with it!

Im not sure if its a joke or that you really believe it. The army is firmly in power and the only ones scared are the red shirts. Not a peep from them they are either scared or they did not get paid. Probably both.

A few students scaring the army. Real funny... if is was a big protest or nation wide maybe but just this is nothing.

Not yet, but look at Hong Kong,, South Korea and Thailand in the 70's . Your beloved junta best do the things they set out to do . It will take time to repair the country's reputation.

Edited by yellowboat
  • Like 1

These Thai Peoples were exercising their rights under the Junta's Interim Charter, Article 3 - Sovereign power belongs to all Thais, and Article 4 - Recognizes human dignity, rights, liberties and equality of the Thais.

As Abhisit pointed out last year, Article 44 VIOLATES Article 3. The Junta hides behind a double standard, if not an outright lie, in its so-called rule of law for Thais. This Junta will only leave a legacy of distrust and division when it exits from power by its economic failures.

• Like 2

The students are gradually ramping up the dissent. The parade last week, now this.

The junta will be having sleepless nights over what's coming next and how to deal with it!

You obviously don't remember General Suchinda.1992.

True, even in those days the Bangkok Governor was accused of assisting anti-government protesters.

Robblok ......lost cause

Why - because he says what he believes?

Did Thaksin orchestrate PTP to use an amnesty bill to whitewash his conviction, sentence, bail jumping and all outstanding charges?

Did they do as told - 310-0 after sending the opposition home before the vote and conning them the vote would be the next day?

Would seem Rob's correct.

Thaksin must have reeled at the strength at public outrages against the whitewash of his crimes and those of his clan. Then came the usual statements, changes in tactics, parallel attacks, murders and intimidation, with calls to return home, trust us and lies the amnesty bill was withdrawn. Many thought that Thaksin was trying to provoke a coup to garner international support and maybe intervention. His toady cousin was running around trying to plead the case.

How long would the army of stayed out? Were the calls for Lana insurrection, civil war, marching on Bangkok and the applauding Children's murders designed to prompt the military into action? Or would the military have acted anyway?

Thaksin needed that bill - he can't get back without it. A jail sentence, bail jumping charges, and 15 serious criminal charges waiting without it. Once parliament was dissolved, a new election before any reforms frustrated, he was not going to be in control when the dubious bill returned to the house and could be voted into law. Maybe he thought a coup might bring such pressure on Thailand to hold new elections quick;y, and without reforms.

Why is that when other people say what they too believe, but it's not favourable towards the week assed policies of the yellows/Dems or banner waving in support of a junta, members like you bundle them up as " red/Thaksin supporters"

You do realise that there's over 50 political parties in Thailand,not just the Dems or the PTP?

The catch is that neither the Dems or the PTP can win an election on their own without these other parties to form a coalition.

It's like making an assumption that if you don't support ManU your a Man City fan!! ?

I just cannot get my head around all these junta supporting farangs who hailed from such great democratically run countries they thought Thailand would be the same?

How can you support a junta and in the same breath mention your a supporter of democracy!! ?

Everyone has the right to express how they feel, but please stop this crap about being a Thaksin supporter or a PTP supporter if you happen to disagree with the current politics in a country most members are still guests and can have their visas revoked at any time!!

By all means cheerlead the Junta if that's what floats your boat but stop belittling others whose opinions don't quite gel with yours, and I'm not meaning you specifically Baerboxer, I like your posts always pretty informative ?

Since you mention "junta supporting farang" and cheerleading the junta, it would seem you are a wee bit inconsistent yourself, my dear fatty.

you have to applaud people who have had their rights taken away standing up for their freedoms

I protest against the coup, they stole the election, we want our democracy back

Makes you wonder if the lady who said that really knows what she wants. A faulty democracy which allowed an elected government to ignore democratic rules? Anything she had was better than what she has now?

Im not sure if its a joke or that you really believe it. The army is firmly in power and the only ones scared are the red shirts. Not a peep from them they are either scared or they did not get paid. Probably both.

A few students scaring the army. Real funny... if is was a big protest or nation wide maybe but just this is nothing.

This is definitely something. It wasn't happening before to any extent. How will your heroes deal with it if it gets a little more serious?

They will gun down protesters and lock up any survivors in re-education camps.

Several of the most vocal protesters were seen being led away by police.

Brave young soles...may never be heard from again...this is Thailand...

This is a Military Dictatorship with Martial Law in place...not a favorable environment for protestors...

Yes, dear PM...we feel your love...

for violating Order 7/2557 of the National Council for Peace and Order which bans political gathering in public of more than five people.

An illegitimate order produced by an illegitimate government. The people should be able to protest without fear and the coup makers are the ones who should be in jail ... for the act of treason.

• Like 1

Students being arrested and 'attitude adjusted' for freedom of speech and here are the junta fan boys condoning this because...because..."but..but the shins!"

inexcusable. Stop deflecting away from the argument and at least admit this is on many levels WRONG! Stop making it about your hate for the last ELECTED government.

I don't agree with freedom of speech or think that democracy (Shinawatra style) is democracy.

You don't agree with freedom of speech, so why on earth are you posting on a discussion forum and not clamouring for the internet to be shut down?

Or is it 'My freedom of speech is fine but yours isn't'?

I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire ... clearly democracy means allowing people to say what they want without persecution but others are equally free to admonish or disagree with it. Some people just do not understand what democracy is or what it takes to achieve it.

Edited by Suffinator

So Thaksin is behind all the woes in Thailand since 1932 then and all 19 coups were his fault?

I take it you can't find the common denominator in every single coup that's took place as you're too busy looking at the trees and unable to see the woods?

Sure Thaksin is a megalomaniac but he's in good company these days as there's a few about who are cut from the same cloth but it's just a different colour ie, yellow and green!

We are discussing the latest coup and how it could happen.. without Thaksin adding his name to the list there would not be a coup as it would not have gotten the response to start protesting. if you want to go back in history have fun, i prefer to keep it current.

A famous quote says something along the lines of "those who don't learn from history live to make the same mistakes"

That is exactly why the current coup is going to improve Thailand. It has learned from previous coup's. You hit the nail right on the head.thumbsup.gif

It must have been a big relief to the families...that the students were not detained for a long period of time...they will likely have to attend the "attitude adjustment program" which is designed to force anyone not agreeing with the Military Dictatorship...to fall in line or suffer the consequences...

Talk is cheap. What are the consequences?

You apparently don't agree with it care to tell us what your penalty was.

Are you in jail? Have you been fined?wai.gif