Ex-CIB chief Pongpat gets 10 years for money laundering

webfact

Ex-CIB Chief Gets 10 Years for Money Laundering
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — The former chief of the Central Investigation Bureau and six other defendants connected to a high-profile corruption scandal were sentenced to prison for money laundering today.

The seven men, including ex-CIB chief Pol.Lt.Gen. Pongpat Chayapan and his deputy Pol.Lt.Gen. Kowit Wongrungroj, were arrested in November after authorities investigated their assets and found thousands of items, including bars of gold and luxury cars, which appeared to be acquired through money laundering.

Accused of operating a crime syndicate run Pol.Lt.Gen. Pongpat, the group was charged with a slew of other offenses, including extortion, abuse of power, corruption, lese majeste (insult of monarchy), and running an illegal gambling den. More than 20 others were later arrested in connection with the alleged crime network.

Today, Pol.Lt.Gen. Pongpat was sentenced to 20 years for violating the Anti-Money Laundering Act. The jail term was reduced to 10 years because of his confession. His ex-deputy Pol.Lt.Gen. Kowit and four other defendants were sentenced to five years, and the sixth, a former chief of the Marine Police Division, was sentenced to one year and six months.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1424162454

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-17

1. Confession?

2. Speed - from arrest to conviction??

3. 10 years in jail??? Big money, big clout --- probably out in 2yrs.

Rewards for misbehaving -- Cayman Islands, dig out the treasure trove, write an autobiography, film script maybe! OR else contact Julian Assange and provide Wikileaks with the bigger picture of Thai authority?

And my father always told me, "Crime doesn't pay". Why did I listen?

• Like 1

I'd wager a fair amount on him being out in less than a third of his sentence and then returning to run his empire in Civilian clothes and most likely, with his full retirement Police pension. The Guy knows too many people and way too much about their little earners for him to spend too long being 'punished'. Also a very good chance that he has been promised that as he 'takes the rap' his family will be well looked after by the invisible men in the ongoing rackets.

True 'justice' for bad influential people does not exist in Thailand.

• Like 2

So is he actually in the nick,or on the streets?,if so this must be

a first,pass go,don't appeal,straight to nick ,

regards Worgeordie

That is his second set of convictions, he has also been convicted of LM and other charges, he has never been let out from the day of his arrest.

There will be more charges to come and probably more convictions, he and his mates will be very lucky if they ever see the outside again.

January 31, 2015 1:00 am

FORMER Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) chief Pol Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan and a former deputy were each handed a six-year prison term yesterday over three offences linked to racketeering.
The Criminal Court initially sentenced Pongpat and former deputy CIB chief Pol Major Kowit Wongrungroj to 12 years in prison - five for lese majeste, five for malfeasance and two for illicitly operating a gambling den - but later halved the sentence citing their guilty plea.
  • Like 1

This man is so extremely bad and dangerous that even in jail he will continue his crimes and his bullying. He, at one point will manage to break out and run for the border.

There are better solutions available to deal with this kind of scum.

I'd wager a fair amount on him being out in less than a third of his sentence and then returning to run his empire in Civilian clothes and most likely, with his full retirement Police pension. The Guy knows too many people and way too much about their little earners for him to spend too long being 'punished'. Also a very good chance that he has been promised that as he 'takes the rap' his family will be well looked after by the invisible men in the ongoing rackets.

True 'justice' for bad influential people does not exist in Thailand.

Hopefully all his prison sentences fot the various offenses are consecutive and NOT cumulative.

Well anyone who knows the real reason behind this story, just read the BBC, telegraph and other UK papers to know what it is really all about. We are not allowed to discuss the reasons, so there is the hint.

It does make me chuckle when I hear all those shouting about how corrupt he was. Maybe he was. But which Police or government official isn't. None of them are, as they call it business here in Thailand.smile.png

• Like 2

Well anyone who knows the real reason behind this story, just read the BBC, telegraph and other UK papers to know what it is really all about. We are not allowed to discuss the reasons, so there is the hint.

It does make me chuckle when I hear all those shouting about how corrupt he was. Maybe he was. But which Police or government official isn't. None of them are, as they call it business here in Thailand.smile.png

Yep, read them and your right.. I'm sure there was a little help from way up high to hurry this conviction along. coffee1.gif