Sangha Supreme Council looks favourably on Dhammachayo

Lite Beer

Sangha Supreme Council looks favourably on Dhammachayo
THE NATION

30254577-01_big.jpg

Phra Dhammachayo

BANGKOK: -- THE SANGHA Supreme Council yesterday decided not to take further action against Phra Dhammachayo, the abbot of Dhammakaya Temple, after the late Supreme Patriarch commanded in 1999 he be defrocked over a number of incidents including him owning the temple's land.

Phra Phrom Methi, the council's spokesman, said Phra Dhammachayo seemed to act with no ill intent and the issue was old news, with the country now undergoing a reconciliation process.

"The disciplines of Buddhist monks according to the Tripitaka are based on actual intent," he said.

Department of Special Investigation director-general Suwanna Suwannajutha said on Thursday that the DSI would summon Phra Dhammachayo if transaction details showed he received money from a key suspect in the Credit Union Khlong Chan embezzlement case.

The temple reportedly barred media members from entering its compound yesterday and refused to give interviews.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Thursday that the Office of National Buddhism was trying to determine whether Phra Dhammachayo's monkhood had been invalidated or he had received money from the aforementioned key suspect.

The monk was indicted over the embezzlement of Bt959 million in assets donated to the temple nine years ago, but public prosecutors dropped this case after he pledged to return the assets to the temple.

Recent news reports stated that the Dhammakaya Temple had agreed to return Bt714 million "donated" to it by Credit Union Khlong Chan after the new post-coup DSI management took over the case from police, who had made little progress in the past few months despite a large number of petitions being filed by victims.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Sangha-Supreme-Council-looks-favourably-on-Dhammac-30254577.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-21

"Phra Phrom Methi, the council's spokesman, said Phra Dhammachayo seemed to act with no ill intent and the issue was old news, with the country now undergoing a reconciliation process."

Maybe M/s Yingluck would be thinking: "I wish my case could be heard before the Sangha Supreme Council."

• Like 2

Buddhist misbehavor is why there must be a Department of Religious Affairs in the Buddhist Thai government. The nation can't trust some religious council to take necessary corrective action.

But there IS a Department of Religious Affairs that is responsible to promote and protect national Buddhism. Not very effective I guess except to fund Buddhist temples and senior Buddhist phras.

• Like 2

Buddhist misbehavor is why there must be a Department of Religious Affairs in the Buddhist Thai government. The nation can't trust some religious council to take necessary corrective action.

But there IS a Department of Religious Affairs that is responsible to promote and protect national Buddhism. Not very effective I guess except to fund Buddhist temples and senior Buddhist phras.

religious council. Foxes guarding the hen house comes to mind.

Troops deployed at Paknam Bhasicharoen as activist monk urging boycott of Sangkha Council

21-2-2558-15-41-50-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Troops and police were deployed Saturday morning at Wat Pakam Bhasicharoen to maintain peace and order after the activist abbot Buddha-issara called on all Buddhists to boycott the Sangkha Buddhism Council for its ruling yesterday to confirm the monkhood status of Phra Dhammachayo, abbot of the Dhammakaya temple.

Phra Buddha-issara, the abbot of Wat Or-noi in Nakhon Pathom, posted on his Facebook calling on all Buddhists to boycott the supreme Buddhism council when it did not defrock Phra Dhammachayo on alleged embezzlement charge pressed on him a decade ago.

“Stop offering alms, show no respect to them, and don’t speak to them” were what the activist abbot called, and urged all Buddhists to gather at Wat Pakam Bhasicharoen to protest.

By noon today the activist monk arrived at the Paknam Bhasicharoen temple with a number of followers and a basket of offerings to Phra Phrommoli, a member of the council, and the assistant to acting supreme patriarch His Holiness Somdet Phramaharatchamangkhlachan.

Phra Buddha-issara reportedly handed over a petition to the senior monk voicing disagreement to the ruling of the Sangkha Council which is chaired by the acting Supreme Patriarch who is also abbot of Wat Paknam Bhasicharoen.

There was no untoward incident during the peaceful meeting.

The activist abbot of Wat Or-noi later delivered the basket he brought as offering to the assistant to the acting supreme patriarch before returning to his temple.

The offerings included a pair of slippers, a stone mortar, underpants, and dok mai chan ( artificial bouquet for cremation ceremony).

The council’s ruling yesterday was a reconfirmation of the ruling made in 2000 which reaffirms Phra Dhammachayo’s monkhood status.

Yesterday, the council’s spokesman and member Phra Prommethi, pleaded with all parties concerned not to raise Phra Dhammachayo’s issue for discussion again pointing that the country is in the process of reconciliation.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/troops-deployed-paknam-bhasicharoen-activist-monk-urging-boycott-sangkha-council

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-21

This latest news about the current government clearly shows the long-term agenda of the junta and their puppet masters.

Where is djjamie when we need him?

Temple assets are State property in Thailand. The State is the junta. The junta failed miserably to adjust anyone's attitude on this one, except the judges on the Council (like the courts they all came pre-adjusted).

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

I was in the Promenada shopping mall. Chiang Mai. And observed two men in orange robes. Enjoying a coffee, and playing with there tablet computers! Religion embracing the modern world!

I can tell you I also have personal experience of what can only be called horror stories of monks behavior, including sex, but that does not excuse those who would label all monks the same.

We see some of the worst cases now coming to light, which has not happened in the past, and in this case the Supreme Council appears to be somewhat lacking in its job.

"Yesterday, the council’s spokesman and member Phra Prommethi, pleaded with all parties concerned not to raise Phra Dhammachayo’s issue for discussion again pointing that the country is in the process of reconciliation."

All right,guys. Anyone has a issue now, regarding criminal, fraud, corruption, domestic issue, please faster deal with it accordingly. Now is reconciliation time. Everyone will be fine now inside the reconciliation timeframe. After the reconciliation period ends, not sure how your case will ends. Hurry now.

Troops deployed at Paknam Bhasicharoen as activist monk urging boycott of Sangkha Council

I wonder when Mr Buddha-Issara's time will come to face 'justice' in front of the Sangha. After all, this is the same 'monk' who led political protests against a sitting government, interrogated police officers who had been beaten by his henchmen, and gleefully counted cash given to him by a hotel that had been intimidated by his mob into making a 'donation'. I seem to recall that an arrest warrant had been prepared for him (after a gun battle between his secular followers and some red shirts?), but I guess in the interests of reconciliation it's all been forgotten...

Just shows how he feels about corruption.. not just YL her corruption. Seems he is a good guy true to his faith.

• Like 1

I wonder when Mr Buddha-Issara's time will come to face 'justice' in front of the Sangha. After all, this is the same 'monk' who led political protests against a sitting government, interrogated police officers who had been beaten by his henchmen, and gleefully counted cash given to him by a hotel that had been intimidated by his mob into making a 'donation'. I seem to recall that an arrest warrant had been prepared for him (after a gun battle between his secular followers and some red shirts?), but I guess in the interests of reconciliation it's all been forgotten...

Just shows how he feels about corruption.. not just YL her corruption. Seems he is a good guy true to his faith.

He is one of the good ones all right.... Just that his detractors don't know about his work with poor terminal cancer patients who cant afford hospital care.

Neither do they don't know that during the protests he put a lot of time and money into helping poor farmers that PT has somehow forgotten to pay.

All they can see is that he defied their beloved Yingluck and out thought and outmaneuvered the reds who had no answer but to resort to violence with bullets and bombs.

Which is unfortunate for it meant that he, like Suthep, was forced to employ guards to protect his group and after several had been shot and injured they resorted to carrying weapons of their own.

Now if the police had done their job there would have been no need for guards let alone armed ones.

It is also unfortunate that under the super sleuths Tarit and Chalerm the police could never find any of those who had been shooting and lobbing grenades at the protesters, even though Chalerm displayed an uncanny ability to predict when attacks would occur.

They did however manage to apprehend some of the guards carrying weapons.

• Like 2

With the news regarding "monks & abbots" of the last couple of months I just ask myself wouldn't this country be better off without them?

Where I come from they have a special name for organisations packed with drinking, drugging, fraudsters, scamming, and murdering members. Take a wild guess and fill the blank:.............. (To give you a hint- its also the name of an archipelo off the east African coast)