Cif, Shipping Terms

I got an offer for a product from China which I need in Thailand.

7.8 USD/kg CIF.

I read about the CIF term, but I am not sure if I understand that business english right.

Did I understand right: this 7.8 USD includes the product AND the shipping costs? So I only need to do the customs clearing??

They deliver at their costs to Thailand??

That would be to good to be true or did I understand something wrong?

What makes me wounder is, the shipping costs must vary a lot if I order 1 kg or 1000 kg, so I have the feeling I miss some information.

Thanks

It means that included in the price is Cost ,Insurance & freight.they pay to get it to the port of your choice in thailand.You are responsible for all port and ancillary chayges that are levied in Thailand.This means things like port charges,documentation fees from shipping company, customs clearance etc.ie:all local charges.

thanks for the help.

Basically my problem is, that I can´t understand that it is that cheap.....

I pay the tripple price in Europe without shipping.

(ptfe for hydraulic seals, semi finished material)

chuchok: I have always problem to accept your postings as serious because I always look at that laughing dog on the left side and think you are posting jokes :-), but thanks your posting was very helpfull

What makes me wounder is, the shipping costs must vary a lot if I order 1 kg or 1000 kg, so I have the feeling I miss some information.

Ask them what is their minimum order quantity. They will not ship 1kg at that price..

If it's sea freight, with big enough volume, shipping per kg can be very low.

Ask them what is their minimum order quantity. They will not ship 1kg at that price..

Yes thought so, they might not send me just 1 kg.

nothing wrong with asking for a sample?

Do you know what Duties etc that you will be up for when it arrives here?

yes approx. 15 % duty, 7 % VAT and a hugh amount of small clearing/port charges/fees with dully names.

(documentation charge, unloading charge, clearing charge.......)

the funniest charges were 50 baht upstair charge, 100 baht for take from the stock charge, 200 Baht overtime charge, but never paid that again with a diverent clearing agent)

yes approx. 15 % duty, 7 % VAT and a hugh amount of small clearing/port charges/fees with dully names.

the funniest charges were 50 baht upstair charge, 100 baht for take from the stock charge, 200 Baht overtime charge, but never paid that again with a diverent clearing agent)

they really try and stick it to you don't they. :o

Make sure you get a quote before hand and tell them that you won't put up with any BS charges.Either that or use somebody else.there is heaps of competition out there.Let them know this.freight forwarders are the same the world over and will always try it on.

You could PM Axel on TV.He is in the biz and would probably be able to help. :D

they really try and stick it to you don't they. :o

Make sure you get a quote before hand and tell them that you won't put up with any BS charges.Either that or use somebody else.there is heaps of competition out there.Let them know this.freight forwarders are the same the world over and will always try it on.

You could PM Axel on TV.He is in the biz and would probably be able to help. :D

I know a clearing agent, who is an old chinese who is working 16 hours a day, he knows everything and it seems he knows every product ever exported or imported to Thailand. they have also a lawer in their team. And I never had any problems with him and it seems customs never wants any problem with him.

On difficult things he want a pic of the products, the invoice and the bank transfer of the amount, he told me if he has that all they can not make any problems. If anything is not clear and you don´t know the laws they can start with some funny things.

So I don´t have any problem on that anymore.

Guess, everything said already, definition of CIF is clear, i.e. cost, insurance and freight paid up to named point (Bangkok?)

For clearing, good advice, picture of the product, invoice and payment proof (bank transfer)

As for clearing costs, it is always a matter of quotation which any clearng agent can give, subject to evtl. extra costs in Customs beyond the agent's control.

Old joke in the business, avoid to pay for

I.i.G. (If it goes)