Thai editorial: Corruption is killing thousands on our roads

webfact

EDITORIAL
Corruption is killing thousands on our roads

The Nation

Bribery and impunity for the rich and influential has made Thailand's traffic among the world's most deadly

BANGKOK: -- Almost exactly two years ago Thailand earned itself a reputation as a deadly place for cyclists. A young British couple's attempt to break the world record for pedalling around the world ended in tragedy when both were struck and killed by a truck driver. History repeated itself on Saturday when a round-the-world cyclist from Chile was hit by a pickup truck in the Northeast, ending his life.

Both tragedies have been blamed on reckless driving.

Recklessness behind the wheel claims thousands of lives on our roads each year. But to tackle the causes of this national scourge you need to examine the "big picture" of road accidents in Thailand. In reality, disrespect for traffic rules is just one facet of deeply rooted problems in our culture. The way we drive is influenced by the prevalence in Thai society of corruption, bribery and the patron-client system.

For a country with the third-most deadly roads in the world, which claim around 26,000 lives per annum, it's pathetic that we only take the problem seriously for brief intervals. Law enforcement is tightened during busy holidays or in the days following a high-profile tragedy such as Saturday's accident. But the measures tend to be reactive - a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. As such, they fizzle out as quickly as they were imposed.

On Monday the Public Health Ministry announced the launch of its latest road-safety campaign. It will emphasise that traffic rules should be followed at all times, not only during statically hazardous periods.

Will that be enough? The root cause of our soaring road deaths might not lie in our disregard for traffic rules. What the authorities fail to address is the widespread practice of bribery among those who are caught breaking the law. Bribery in the business sector has been blamed for killing off rival companies, but on the roads it gives free rein to the recklessness that ends lives.

One answer is strict and impartial enforcement of the law.

In recent years police and prosecutors have faced criticism over notorious cases in which wealthy and influential individuals have escaped serious punishment for causing death on the roads. That kind of impunity for the "privileged few" must end so that people regain faith in the law. When the law is enforced and justice properly applied, citizens will realise that bribery is no longer an option.

The authorities have taken action by threatening steep fines for anyone who offers a bribe to the police. They have also cracked down on drunk driving. But these measures need to be strictly and fairly implemented until it sinks in that there is no escape from the law.

We can take a lead from countries such as South Korea, Japan and Britain, where the rules of the road are tight and apply equally to every member of society, no matter how rich or famous.

Only when every driver knows that the penalty for causing death by reckless driving is jail - and that no amount of money will avert that fate - will our roads cease to be the death traps they have become.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Corruption-is-killing-thousands-on-our-roads-30254816.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-25

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I note that in the road stats consistently over 70% of deaths involve motorbikes or other 2 wheel transport which would include the mentioned tragedy. From memory during the new year period it was 82%.

I see around here the police all line up for their flag raising at 8 oclock, have a natter and a ball scratch then go out and set up in shady spots and stop anyone without a helmet.

However they are all gone again by 5 in the afternoon and helmets come off and school kids race around at great speed on their bikes.

Policing should be a 24hr thing and not 8-30 to 4-30.

Everything comes back to policing. You can't have a safe/strong country with an incompetent & corrupt force.

Nobody at the top gives a shit about the state of the roads, as they are chauffeur driven, normally on roads that have been closed to the public as they pass.xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vrViiesVr

Edited by bruceybonus

Corruption. Yes it is always the case. I have money. I am a senior government official.

Drive like a lunatic, bribe police to say what suits you. Get away with it.

Until the hi-sos in Thailand are checked !! treated same as every one it will never stop.

Governments here only pay lip service to eradicating this problem.

If you are a foreigner in Thailand ,they will pursue you with the full force of the law.

Thai hi-so well thats a joke.

I know i am paralysed from a road accident senior government official who hit me walked away, not even spoken to about his dangerous/unsafe driving.

It's simply enough to say that the roads here are a joke, a sick one at best. For whatever reason the cops and other relevant authorities choose not to enforce the laws which they already have in any meaningful way. Taking large fines here however would be likely to be a non starter as some corrupt elements would simply take the piss with it and just shake down everybody in sight for profit.

It's an almost impossible dilemma to solve. Education and complete culture overhaul from the people and the authorities combined would be the only viable way. But we all know there is more chance of plaiting sand than either of those things happening. A shame, not to mention an utter disgrace.

Not only question of money. Question of values, as well.

Thais don't mind to kill => check in the prison => your sentence will be far lower if you kill your neighbor than to if you carry 100 gr of drugs.

Obviously in a street, GOD is the CAR. Not Buddha and first of all, not the pedestrian which is just a human being. A driver is more than that, it's a human being able to by a CAR. His value is higher than a pedestrian.

Nor need money or end corruption to drive with respect to the pedestrians or cyclists.

In some country pedestrians have the priority and the driver will care and respect them. In Thailand a driver can do ANYTHING to a pedestrian or a cyclist just because he has power but, one more time, it's not a question of money but of value => he could be rich and respect the poor. Or not.

Everything comes back to policing. You can't have a safe/strong country with an incompetent & corrupt force.

Nobody at the top gives a shit about the state of the roads, as they are chauffeur driven, normally on roads that have been closed to the public as they pass.xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vrViiesVr

In addition, having an incompetent and corrupt judiciary makes any proper police work worthless.

So true. Thailand will remain a "useless cause" until - not in my/our life time - Rule of Law is undertaken.

Thai don't give a dime if they kill some-one in traffic or not. They know they'll get away with it. Motorbikes are even lower then soidogs which they will avoid.

Also the roadsigns are very crappy, roads full of holes, taxi-bus drivers very selfish ars&&oles.

Here in Bangkok i can easy find 10 people driving against traffic within 10 minutes time, very dangerous and selfish behaviour. They even do it in the dark without carrying any light on their vehicle. Punish that with 1 year in jail and sure it will stop the problem.

Then the usage of indicators, is it really to hard for a Thai to use them properly? Then they all must have down syndrome and not allowed to drive a vehicle.

It's not "recklessness", purely "thoughtlessness" ... brains are taken out when many Thai's get behind the wheel, and their right foot is solidly planted on the go pedal ... add to that the various substances that taxi drivers, van drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers take to "keep them awake" and it's a recipe for disaster.

Thai don't give a dime if they kill some-one in traffic or not. They know they'll get away with it. Motorbikes are even lower then soidogs which they will avoid.

Also the roadsigns are very crappy, roads full of holes, taxi-bus drivers very selfish ars&&oles.

Here in Bangkok i can easy find 10 people driving against traffic within 10 minutes time, very dangerous and selfish behaviour. They even do it in the dark without carrying any light on their vehicle. Punish that with 1 year in jail and sure it will stop the problem.

Then the usage of indicators, is it really to hard for a Thai to use them properly? Then they all must have down syndrome and not allowed to drive a vehicle.

They don't want to wear out the bulbs as they can't afford to replace them!

After three years driving here without an accident (5000 Km/month) and installing a dash cam. I agree with most of the comments in the rant above. However I find that the root of the problem is that bad drivers are allowed to drive, even after blatant offences. No helmet? Ok walk to school, your parents can get the bike back tonight... and so on. In Europe many cities earn a huge income just from parking fines. Why Thailand hasn't latched on to this I can't imagine, 'tis the Thai way I guess.

What a pointless article this is.

All of this crap about the roads being so dangerous because the rich or famous pay off the police if they do something wrong is completely irrelevant.

The Thai's riding their bikes against the flow of traffic, not wearing helmets and people passing on the inside (or outside) - over if they were driving a tank no doubt, is!!!

After three years driving here without an accident (5000 Km/month) and installing a dash cam. I agree with most of the comments in the rant above. However I find that the root of the problem is that bad drivers are allowed to drive, even after blatant offences. No helmet? Ok walk to school, your parents can get the bike back tonight... and so on. In Europe many cities earn a huge income just from parking fines. Why Thailand hasn't latched on to this I can't imagine, 'tis the Thai way I guess.

In Europe, the fines go to the municipalities. In Thailand they go into the police coffers. Big difference. And can you see the police giving up any of this lucrative trade?

The traffic rules are not enforced because there are no police on the roads to enforce them. I have not been able to find a speed limit sign between Airport Plaza and Kad Farang on Hangdong Road. So, you get motorcyles and cars doing 140 while weaving around cars. You get motorbikes going the wrong way on the road. I was pulling out of Macro a few weeks ago, looking to the right waiting for the traffic to clear and pulled out. Little did I know that there was this young kid was coming the wrong way and appeared to have to intention of stopping. I swerved and he stopped. I got very angry, which was a surprise to him. There is no doubt in my mind that he had no thought that he was breaking law and endangering people.

WHERE ARE THE THAI POLICE ON THE ROADS?

There are many causes for the lack of traffic safety here. But, I would say the largest single one is police incompetence, lack of training, and the general indifference on the part of the "RTP Corp." to enforcing traffic safety laws, that are already on the books. How often have you seen someone pulled over for not wearing their seat belts? How about for speeding? How about for passing in a dangerous manner, driving on the wrong side, driving without a license, reckless driving, driving without a helmet, carrying a dangerous load, etc, etc, etc? I boggles the mind to consider how much better the situation would be here if those lazy fools would just do their jobs properly, and if they gave a damn about the public safety. Also, the amount of the fines need to be commensurate with the crime. Some the recklessness I see would result in massive fines in the west, along with the loss of a license, confiscation of the vehicle, etc. There is no deterrent here. Thousands of highway deaths a year, are blood on the hands of the police, due to their indifference. This is where change will start, if it is to happen.

Edited by spidermike007

I agree with most of the posts on this subject. Corruption that seems to run right through to the high levels of everything mean there are two or maybe even three different societies existing here, all governed by money and greed and depending upon which you fit into will determine what 'favours' you receive.

The chaos on the roads is just one of the issues that cannot be addressed because 1) they don't know how 2) they can't be bothered and 3) some of them make too much money by looking the other way.

It is a psychological trait I think.

Thai's seem to place themselves above more learned people because 'no can do it better than a Thai' when in reality just about everybody can.

They refuse help, refuse advice and any kind of assistance that might give the impression they haven't got a clue.

And it seems to me that the more clueless you are the more likely it is you will achieve an elevated position.

I came here a year ago, thinking paradise was what it would be, but it doesn't take long for the truth to hit home.

This could be a fabulous country to live, many of the people are wonderful, but it is destroyed from within.

I have met some lovely people, even helpful policemen and army officials who have been nothing but courteous and respectful but it is not the norm.

The situation on the roads is a manifestation of the hypocrisy that seems to permeate a lot of Thai thinking and hence life here.

And for those of us who genuinely came here to help and make things just a little bit better, especially for young people and more especially the less privileged young people, it is soul destroying to sit and watch as those who could have an influence just couldn't give a damn and are quite happy to take their fat salaries, wallow in the glory their position gives them and ignore their responsibilities.

'Oh that's not how we do things here' we are told. No it isn't and you'd better wake up quick to the fact that it ought to be.

On my 11 hour flight here, filled with excitement about the possibilities and what I wanted to achieve I read some of the teachings of the Buddha. An attempt to begin to understand the culture and mindset.

Might as well not have bothered.

One thing I read that stuck with me though was his teaching that 'everything is not self'

My god there are a few here that need to apply that in their lives and actions.

What a pointless article this is.

All of this crap about the roads being so dangerous because the rich or famous pay off the police if they do something wrong is completely irrelevant.

The Thai's riding their bikes against the flow of traffic, not wearing helmets and people passing on the inside (or outside) - over if they were driving a tank no doubt, is!!!

Additionally, I have come to believe that many Thais have bribed officials into granting licenses...I know 2 people who actually had accidents while taking the driving test!!! 5,000 baht tip, and they walked away with a license to drive and kill...

I note that in the road stats consistently over 70% of deaths involve motorbikes or other 2 wheel transport which would include the mentioned tragedy. From memory during the new year period it was 82%.

I see around here the police all line up for their flag raising at 8 oclock, have a natter and a ball scratch then go out and set up in shady spots and stop anyone without a helmet.

However they are all gone again by 5 in the afternoon and helmets come off and school kids race around at great speed on their bikes.

Policing should be a 24hr thing and not 8-30 to 4-30.

Hey Robbie volunteer and quit bitching. The girls are in the next room move on.