Do You believe in KARMA?

Pik

If you want to believe in Karma, you must believe that someone or something out there is the supreme judge over what is good and what is bad and that for everybody at any time or circumstance. Only with such a super judge can karma be working.

Personally I find it difficult to believe that such a power exists. So in short: No, I don't believe in Karma.

Edited by dominique355
  • Like 1

If you want to believe in Karma, you must believe that someone or something out there is the supreme judge over what is good and what is bad and that for everybody at any time or circumstance. Only with such a super judge can karma be working.

Personally I find it difficult to believe that such a power exists. So in short: No, I don't believe in Karma.

thats not true. you are shaped by your actions.

• Like 1

Strictly speaking, karma's cause and effect doesn't work in a single life-time.

What you do in this life affects the next.

Karma, along with the word racist is one of the most misunderstood and misused words in the English language.

the effects of karma can be short term or long term.

Karma, along with the word racist is one of the most misunderstood and misused words in the English language.

Yep ! especially when mixed with sutra thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Very nice cop-out to explain why gangsters die in their beds and innocent babies can die violently.

It is such a nebulous concept that can be manipulated into whatever you want that it is for all intents and purposes meaningless.

As Ricky Gervais once said "what does a snail have to do to go up the karmic ladder? Lay a trail of slime that's perfectly straight?".

Very nice cop-out to explain why gangsters die in their beds and innocent babies can die violently.

It is such a nebulous concept that can be manipulated into whatever you want that it is for all intents and purposes meaningless.

As Ricky Gervais once said "what does a snail have to do to go up the karmic ladder? Lay a trail of slime that's perfectly straight?".

youre the one who claimed karma is misunderstood. I'm just tellin you what the Abhidharma has to say about it. It's yoyu who misunderstand the concept it seems.

To the original question..........NO.

your words betray you. This is an incorrect interpretation of the concept karma as taught by the Buddha.

"What goes around comes around"

I believe in karma not in a spiritual sense but in a mental or cause and affect sense.

When a person does something which they and others believe is wrong they will unknowingly conduct their life a bit different than perhaps they would have if they had not done the wrong thing. As an example, if you screw another guys wife and you see him walking towards you perhaps you turn quickly without thinking and walk into a moving motorbike.

An example of good karma, you do something really nice for someone and without knowing this person tells someone else who you might not even know. It turns out that this other person is the guy you just had an interviewed with for that dream job.... Out of 20 applicants you get the job.

Sometime however, $hit just happens :)

"What goes around comes around"

I believe in karma not in a spiritual sense but in a mental or cause and affect sense.

When a person does something which they and others believe is wrong they will unknowingly conduct their life a bit different than perhaps they would have if they had not done the wrong thing. As an example, if you screw another guys wife and you see him walking towards you perhaps you turn quickly without thinking and walk into a moving motorbike.

An example of good karma, you do something really nice for someone and without knowing this person tells someone else who you might not even know. It turns out that this other person is the guy you just had an interviewed with for that dream job.... Out of 20 applicants you get the job.

Sometime however, $hit just happens smile.png

And the guy who flies off the motorcycle you just walking into and dies....................... Maybe that was the guy who was shagging your wife that made you want to shag his wife.

Ah now I get it. Khama is good.

For someone to believe in karma they must also believe in reincarnation.

Otherwise how would a baby that is born deaf, dumb and blind be able to get through life without understanding that the reason for their deformities was the result of what they were in their previous life?

IMHO, karma is a form of control, the same as religions. If that is your belief, great, be happy in this life. If it works for you as a crutch for all that is wrong in this world, assuming we are talking about wholesome karma, then make it so, and enjoy.

Obviously, the above is only the way I see it. I truly believe that there should be no restriction in what anyone wants to believe, as long as the results of that belief don't bring grief or harm onto others.

For someone to believe in karma they must also believe in reincarnation.

Otherwise how would a baby that is born deaf, dumb and blind be able to get through life without understanding that the reason for their deformities was the result of what they were in their previous life?

IMHO, karma is a form of control, the same as religions. If that is your belief, great, be happy in this life. If it works for you as a crutch for all that is wrong in this world, assuming we are talking about wholesome karma, then make it so, and enjoy.

Obviously, the above is only the way I see it. I truly believe that there should be no restriction in what anyone wants to believe, as long as the results of that belief don't bring grief or harm onto others.

you fail to understand the theory of rebirth and linking consciousness. There is no need for reincarnation. And in fact, for a belief in the concept of short term karma, a belief in rebirth is not necessary either.