Changes to 'Married to Thai' visa extensions at Jomtien Immigration.

Jaochoo

After nine years of completing ‘Married to Thai’ visa extensions without any problems I was completely taken aback when I visited Jomtien Immigration earlier this week.

During the initial meeting when my application and accompanying documents would normally be examined and subsequently accepted for further processing, my wife was asked if we had any children and when she replied “no”, our application form and all documents were handed back to us and we were informed that we would have to return with a Thai witness to confirm that we didn’t have any children. This witness would have to supply a copy of their ID card and their Tabien Bahn and we would have to submit photos showing us with the witness both inside and outside our home.

We returned the following day with all that was asked of us and our application was duly accepted for processing in the normal way. Our witness (neighbour) was only needed when we had the usual follow-up interview with the senior officer. Our witness was required to answer a few questions and sign a couple of documents just confirming that we were known to her and are living as husband and wife at xyz address and that we have no children. This was all done in a friendly manner and was relatively straightforward.

I enquired what had prompted the request for a witness and was informed that this is a new rule that has only been issued in the last few days. Regrettably, this will now be an annual requirement for all future ‘Married to Thai’ visa extensions.

I can only assume that there has been an increase in the number of fraudulent applications and this is the outcome.

I’m still not sure of the significance with regard to having no children. Perhaps this is being used as some kind of alarm to prompt the officer to double check the application.

I had hoped that the witness requirement would mean that some of the additional documents would no longer be required but unfortunately this is not the case.

Edited by petercool
edited to standard type size

Sadly, even if you are married to a Thai woman for 40+ years and bring up your children and grandchildren here, put them through school and university, pay your taxes, support your community, contribute to Thai charities, love the King, and never break the law - you will still have to report to immigration every 90 days and apply for an extension of stay every 12 months and be subject to any and all new requirements or local interpretations of the regulations.

Sorry, I strayed from the topic.

Edited by chickenslegs

Sadly, even if you are married to a Thai woman for 40+ years and bring up your children and grandchildren here, put them through school and university, pay your taxes, support your community, contribute to Thai charities, love the King, and never break the law - you will still have to report to immigration every 90 days and apply for an extension of stay every 12 months and be subject to any and all new requirements or local interpretations of the regulations.

In Britain ,you become "British" no matter where you come from when married to a Brit or if you once ate fish and chips (just like that Saudi guy in Guattanamo,that they are trying to bring"home") in Thailand you could come here as a child get married and die here ,but will never be Thai.

Edited by i claudius

Thanks for the heads up

I was asked to bring a whitness for my first "married to a Thai " extension ( I believe that is normal )

1st,2nd and 3rd times the second interviewing officer at Jomtien

asked if we had any children but there where no extra requests when told we don't have any children ( together )

Jaochoo, thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if this a one off at Jomtien, or has this happened to other people as well?

I think I agree with Tony M, as I just 'wandered' over to the Visa forum and there is nothing about this quite important bureaucratic change in that forum.

To be honest, if I have to do this then it will be the final straw for me - I will do the extension based on retirement instead - much less hassle - but does tie up 800K Baht.

Edited by dsfbrit

Are these a new rules too

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Shouldn't this be copied, or moved, into the Thai Visas, Residency forum ?

Jaochoo, thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know if this a one off at Jomtien, or has this happened to other people as well?

I think I agree with Tony M, as I just 'wandered' over to the Visa forum and there is nothing about this quite important bureaucratic change in that forum.

To be honest, if I have to do this then it will be the final straw for me - I will do the extension based on retirement instead - much less hassle - but does tie up 800K Baht.

I did consider posting this in the Visa Forum but I wasn't sure if these changes only apply to Jomtien Immigration and I didn't want to cause undue worry or confusion to Thai Visa members that use a different Immigration Office. However, if a mod feels differently, I certainly have no objections to this being moved or copied to a more appropriate location.

Incorrect the money is not tied up,

apart from maybe 3 months for first time extension.

you use some or all of it to live on, wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Yes your correct.

But 3 months in a Thai bank, dangerous stuff,

be careful they might give you interest on it ,

very dangerous stuff.

Don't let your funds be tired up. 800k big money, no its not

Like I said you will use some or all the money in one year so what's the big deal.

take care of dangerous stuff like banks wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

In Britain ,you become "British" no matter where you come from when married to a Brit or if you once ate fish and chips (just like that Saudi guy in Guattanamo,that they are trying to bring"home") in Thailand you could come here as a child get married and die here ,but will never be Thai.

Rather than rhetoric, facts on how to obtain UK citizenship if spouse is a British citizen..

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen

My friend up in udon thani told me that this rule has been in place up there for a while so its not a new rule. Immigration in Jomtien have decided to add this rule so its going to be difficult to find someone who is acceptable as a witness for many people so i do hope this is only a flash in the pan rule.

regards

Scotsman

eh English is my 2nd Language...Broad N.E. Scots first (but not Doric). Putting 800K Poonds into a Thai bank is a risk. Firstly the country is run by a Army Junta that has siezed power from the people. How many foreigners know that TMB means Thai Military Bank? Kasikorn is the Farmers Bank (is that Red Shirt depositers only?) Ayudaya or Krungsri is mostly owned by General Electric... Siam Commercial was started by the brother of King Rama V so is it the royalist bank? Bangkok Bank is the biggest with the biggest network outside of Thailand.

So which is the safest one to put your 800K in?

Next question.....Is that 800k only when you first take up a retirement Visa? and you can let it dwindle as you get older and stay here.

3rd Question. Or does it have to be still 800K every time you report to your 90 day probation Immigration officer? I have never understood this rule. I hear stories of groups of people who move a "shared" pot of 800K to one anothers accounts each time they have to report.

Going back on topic. Both "chickenslegs" and "i claudius" hit the nail on the head. Foreigners in Thailand are just that. Foreigners.

Also, if you are married in the UK you have a piece of paper called a Marriage license that is registered. Thailand has people who live together after tying themselves in knots of string and pouring water about....what proof is there in that as being "married". Very Romantic...not.

Is it just me? but I dispare every time I see some elderly farrang with thin rotting parcel string on his wrist.....lost the plot springs to mind.

Maybe you can just show the ball of string at immigration next time?

As for proof of having kids, rent a coach load of orphans from Father Rays and flood Soi 5 with them and tell the officer you have adopted them for the afternoon.

It is far easier for Brits to live in Malaysia..... :))))

eh English is my 2nd Language...Broad N.E. Scots first (but not Doric). Putting 800K Poonds into a Thai bank is a risk. Firstly the country is run by a Army Junta that has siezed power from the people. How many foreigners know that TMB means Thai Military Bank? Kasikorn is the Farmers Bank (is that Red Shirt depositers only?) Ayudaya or Krungsri is mostly owned by General Electric... Siam Commercial was started by the brother of King Rama V so is it the royalist bank? Bangkok Bank is the biggest with the biggest network outside of Thailand.

Next question.....Is that 800k only when you first take up a retirement Visa? and you can let it dwindle as you get older and stay here.

3rd Question. Or does it have to be still 800K every time you report to your 90 day probation Immigration officer? I have never understood this rule. I hear stories of groups of people who move a "shared" pot of 800K to one anothers accounts each time they have to report.

Going back on topic. Both "chickenslegs" and "i claudius" hit the nail on the head. Foreigners in Thailand are just that. Foreigners.

Also, if you are married in the UK you have a piece of paper called a Marriage license that is registered. Thailand has people who live together after tying themselves in knots of string and pouring water about....what proof is there in that as being "married". Very Romantic...not.

Is it just me? but I dispare every time I see some elderly farrang with thin rotting parcel string on his wrist.....lost the plot springs to mind.

As for proof of having kids, rent a coach load of orphans from Father Rays and flood Soi 5 with them and tell the officer you have adopted them for the afternoon.

It is far easier for Brits to live in Malaysia..... smile.png)))

All very funny, like the ball of string at immigration.!!!!! thumbsup.gif

But Malaysia, no can do, Zero fun , will be total Burka-Ville in 5 years time . w00t.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I can confirm they are now asking for a witness when renewing a visa based on marriage, the lady seemed to think it was funny when she told the missus, if this continues till next year I will be going for a retirement just to save all the hassle each year angry.gif

That's not quite correct. I have been married to my Thai wife 10 years.....she only has Thai citizenship. In theory its easier and quicker to gain Thai Citizenship for a foreigner than it is for a Thai to gain British citizenship. 3 years tax payments and extensions then able to apply.....think you will find the process and requirements for a Thai in the UK slightly more tedious and complicated...Hiding on a ferry from Calais without any papers you stand a better chance. .As for Jomtien, THB 3,000 now seems to be a popular amount required for extensions, whether 30 days or otherwise.

Why not try Citibank or HSBC in Bangkok?

It is far easier for Brits to live in Malaysia..... smile.png)))

Personally I use the Kasikorn Bank as Call Centre staff have good English and internet banking is easy to use, secure & also supported in English.

So long as you have an O Visa can obtain retirement extension by showing 800k baht in Thai bank account for 60 days at time of first extension request. Currently for second and subsequent extensions 800k baht deposited for minimum of 90 days. Alternatively you can demonstrate retirement fund income of 65k baht per month or a combination; doco needs at URL:

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf

No need to show funds in bank for the 90 day reporting requirement. Don't forget that if you intend to travel outside of Thailand when granted the retirement extension to obtain a single or multi entry re-entry permit.

Marriage doco can be obtained by registering the marriage at local Amphur for Thai immigration purposes.

• 2 months later...

@ubonjoe

im confused for i went yesterday to have my papers pre-checked for the renewal of marriage extension, which is due in july.

-i asked about the new rule with the witness, officer said, " for what you have been married for 20 years ", wife 59 as well as im no kiddies.

so is it now a rule ?? or does it apply only to selected people ???

wbr

roobaa01

as the op jachoo wrote rules had changed for him in respect marriage extension of stay. he was requested to take a thai witness along , confirming his marriage status. Then

he advised this being a new rule since feb. 2015.

well i object this fact for two reasons:

today i went with my pal who obtained his 30 days stamp under consideration based on marriage extension of stay at jomtiem, no witness, no children, 3 rd extension.

the thai list of requirements deviates from the english list of requirements in such way that the thai list states clearly only the 1 rst year requires a witness !!!!

the thai list is also being signed by 3 people.

wbr roobaa01

as the op jachoo wrote rules had changed for him in respect marriage extension of stay. he was requested to take a thai witness along , confirming his marriage status. Then

he advised this being a new rule since feb. 2015.

well i object this fact for two reasons:

today i went with my pal who obtained his 30 days stamp under consideration based on marriage extension of stay at jomtiem, no witness, no children, 3 rd extension.

the thai list of requirements deviates from the english list of requirements in such way that the thai list states clearly only the 1 rst year requires a witness !!!!

the thai list is also being signed by 3 people.

wbr roobaa01

All I can say is that when I went to Jomtien Immigration in February 2015 my experience was exactly as detailed in my opening post.

Subsequent posts from other members have confirmed that in March 2015 the new rule regarding a witness was being enforced and all information in my opening post was indeed correct.

Moving into May we now find that two posters have recently submitted their applications and, despite having no children, a witness was not required. Furthermore, one of the posters states that when he enquired about the requirement regarding a witness, the officer processing his application said “for what you have been married for 20 years”.

Nothing would make me happier than if the new rule regarding a witness had been relaxed or better still scrapped altogether. However, the fact that the new rule was confirmed to me by the senior official that actually signs and approves the extensions, I find it hard to believe that things would have changed in only a matter of months.

Does anyone have any further information or better still a definite confirmation from an official at Jomtien Immigration that the new rule has been scrapped?

@jachoo

i did not doubt what happen to but i doubt it is a new general rule.

maybe you obtain the thai form list of requirements "take care of your wife in thailand " under pragraph 12 it states clearly a witness only the

first year. the thai form to be signed by 3 people, applicant, examining officer, guarantor then to be lodged with your documents.

i contacted also 3 legal agencies none new the new rule.

if you wish to have a look at the thai form we can meet, so mote it be.

wbr

roobaa01

@jachoo

i did not doubt what happen to but i doubt it is a new general rule.

maybe you obtain the thai form list of requirements "take care of your wife in thailand " under pragraph 12 it states clearly a witness only the

first year. the thai form to be signed by 3 people, applicant, examining officer, guarantor then to be lodged with your documents.

i contacted also 3 legal agencies none new the new rule.

if you wish to have a look at the thai form we can meet, so mote it be.

wbr

roobaa01

It was relayed to me by the top official in Jomtien Immigration as being a “New Rule”. Perhaps this is incorrect, I have no idea, but clearly some kind of directive has been received from Bangkok and the outcome of this is that some applicants have been instructed to return with a witness when submitting their married to Thai visa extensions.

I appreciate what you are saying, but in my experience the rules are what the Immigration official says they are, regardless of what may be written in the “Take care of your wife in Thailand” form.

As mentioned in my opening post, I suspect that there has been an increase in the number of fraudulent applications and this is the outcome.

Hopefully, a definitive answer from someone submitting their application at Jomtien Immigration over the coming weeks will be forthcoming.

Interestingly, there was a post made only yesterday as per the link below which appears to confirm that other areas of the country are experiencing a similar type of clampdown. It is quite a long post and I am therefore pasting a copy of the final paragraph below as this includes the relevant information.

Married-Extension "Nonthaburi Immigration"

Wait to around 10:20 when my wife was ask to come to Immigration Boss desk.

Need 2 copy more of some of the paper work, and was told because we don´t have kids together, The be a home visit again this year, around day 5-15, So we have to be home in that period.

This Nonthaburi Immigration have start doing since they caught a few Fa-Rang not in a "real" Married my wife was told.

@Jachoo

fraudulent marriages yeah, those 1690 cases in thailand where a fake identity was taken by an amphur official for 20.000 thb each, could one reason for such a clampdown.

i would be very deligthed, if the immi officials came visiting me at my house, even out of the blue.

keep you posted, im up for my extension in july.

cheers

roobaa01