Singapore at 50

laban

50 years old since independence but still a one party state, little press freedom, homophobic, etc. one of the few countries with little corruption but still as undemocratic as Thailand under NCPO rule.

How do you come to the conclusion that there is only little corruption? It's not as obvious as in Thailand, but also not better than in any other Asian country.

Fatfather

• Like 2

Still living in Singapore - solely for the work and good schooling.

Last August it was a choice of jobs -Kuala Lumpur - Doha - Singapore.

No contest really.

Been here about 12 years in all

I must say that it is a great place to live.

I am also 50 this year sad.png

• Like 1

A place to work = Singapore

A place to live = Thailand

I am planing on no more than 10 years at work. Hopefully this can be in Singapore, so straight forward and no nonsense + my youngest can complete her schooling in one place. She is only 7 and is on her 4th school already.

Then - its back home to Thailand smile.png

• Like 1

Gaining Singaporean Permanent Resident status is a reality, but in reality why do I need it?

PR status is high on list for nationals from say Philippines, India, Myanmar, etc., etc.

But so high on the list of nationals from Europe, US, etc. (I am British).

If I find myself out of work I certainly ain't hanging around in Singapore - far too expensive.

• Like 1

I rank personal safety very high on my priority list. I feel a thousand times safer in Singapore than in Thailand. And, if something were to happen, I trust Singaporean police about a million times more than Thai police.

have stayed in many places in SEA and singapore is the only place where thefts have occurred from other residents in the place i was staying at while i was staying there. perhaps 4 different places years appart if i recall

Singapore is eye watering expensive for housing and cars.

Many Singaporeans are now living in Malaysia where they can have a house and a car much much cheaper.

Indian guest workers do all the dirty jobs the local don't wants to do and they work for peanuts.

Expats Westerners generally have very high paid jobs and can have a very nice life there.

Retied millionaires more than welcome to come and live there, the rest gets told politely; fxxx off, he-he.

Well most places around the World are like that.

Great place to visit for a few days and great to be back home in Thailand again.

I rank personal safety very high on my priority list. I feel a thousand times safer in Singapore than in Thailand. And, if something were to happen, I trust Singaporean police about a million times more than Thai police.

have stayed in many places in SEA and singapore is the only place where thefts have occurred from other residents in the place i was staying at while i was staying there. perhaps 4 different places years appart if i recall

What area in Singapore were you living?

What area in Singapore were you living?

bugis- little india region also one in chinatown-outram park