How to prevent punctures?

Gweiloman

Best way is to be a keyboard warrior like some are....

Funnily enough, I've never had a puncture in LoS. One time had a 10 penny nail sticking out of my rear tyre on the 500X...but I gingerly pulled it out and nothing happened. Som na Nam and I am still riding on that tyre without it losing pressure.

• Like 1

'How to prevent punctures?'

Take a tuk-tuk. thumbsup.gif

Older tyres tend to puncture more easily, while those tubes in the cheaper plastic pigs are pretty naff.

Nails and screws don't differentiate between old and new tyres. And what about tubeless tyres, you know, those tyres with a tube?

there is tyres without tubes! .........well i never knew that......every bicycle i have owned since the age of three has always had a tube in it when i removed the tyre.

Were you living under a bridge?

Welcome to the 21st century and a world of tubeless tires! ;)

Don't ask me. I had both inner tubes and tires replaced a few weeks ago, put them on the bike, never rode it, moved it or even sat on the bike and both tires are already flat.

You had the tubes and tires replaced BUT did you fill them with air?

Aha, see?

• Like 1

I used to carry around with me a kit consisting of rubber strips and a needle for the tubeless tyres. Simply threaded the needle with the strip and pushed it into the puncture hole (after I blew it up) all the way and then pulled it out again half way, cut it off at the tyre and hey presto.....puncture fixed.

• Like 1

Best way is to be a keyboard warrior like some are....

Funnily enough, I've never had a puncture in LoS. One time had a 10 penny nail sticking out of my rear tyre on the 500X...but I gingerly pulled it out and nothing happened. Som na Nam and I am still riding on that tyre without it losing pressure.

Yeah, me too, no puncture yet and I've ridden over 100k miles in Thailand. However, I do keep good tires, good pressure, stay on the road and avoid debris.

Okay:

Sealants, luck, tuk tuk, not-old, not naff, don’t ride [debunked], not-leaky valves, solid rubber, avoid debris ==> all good.

In some ads Michelins claim they incorporate a puncture resistant layer that is better.
Don't forget to get your bike monk blessed and/or carry a charm in key-chain.
​Lead a pure life.
Can't hurt
Theoretically.

Liquid goo in tyres can settle in a lump and put the balance out...plus its almost impossible (illegal in the UK) to vulcanise a tyre with sealant in it. Best use those repair kits that push a rubber 'worm' in the hole n get it fixed later at a tyre shop.

Ive used them on big bikes and they work fine....but you need 4 of the gas refills to do a 180 width tyre!

• Like 1

I used to carry around with me a kit consisting of rubber strips and a needle for the tubeless tyres. Simply threaded the needle with the strip and pushed it into the puncture hole (after I blew it up) all the way and then pulled it out again half way, cut it off at the tyre and hey presto.....puncture fixed.

Did you also carry some soap solution (I dread to think of the alternative), and a hand pump?

Liquid goo in tyres can settle in a lump and put the balance out...plus its almost impossible (illegal in the UK) to vulcanise a tyre with sealant in it. Best use those repair kits that push a rubber 'worm' in the hole n get it fixed later at a tyre shop.

Ive used them on big bikes and they work fine....but you need 4 of the gas refills to do a 180 width tyre!

Just in case people get confused.. Goop and other products have none of the properties described above. Goop comes from the UK. It is aqueous based so if the tyre has to be patched or replaced it will simply wash away. It does not settle in lumps and supposedly helps to balance the tyre. It is not to be confused with those products that fill the tyre with foam after a puncture. These products have to be applied before there is a problem. Just thought I would point that out!

• Like 1