Chiang Mai holds urgent meeting to cope with haze issue

webfact

Goes on year after year, after year with a lot of talk and nothing is ever done. Will still be the same problem in 50 years, more money to talk about it and the wheels keep turning.

In 50 years Chiang Mai and much of the country/world will be a no mans land due to pollution, over crowding, no water or services much like the movie Interstellar. The Oligarths and the filthy rich will be living in their custom made underground bunkers building a space ship hoping to get off this dying planet. Like all their billions it will turn out to be a paper dream.

From my own observations living in a very rural part North of CM - I don't see much burning in the fields. If there was any rice residue to be burnt off, it would have been done in January and Feb - not now. The problem was not evident earlier in the year. This leads me to the conclusion that it is the spontaneous high temperature fires in the hills that is the major problem. I look round at all the fires burning in the hills, and it's quite dramatic, especially at night. Some of these spots are pretty inaccessible, so I don't think they are induced by man. There is talk of some hill fires being started to encourage underground mushroom (morels); but I don't think this is significant.

What is interesting is that these hill fires don't cause much damage, it's just the undergrowth that burns, not the trees. In other parts of the world, similar forest fires are a major problem, just doesn't seem to be a problem here, apart from the haze. So, in response to the OP, talking won't do any good, as it's near impossible to deal with the spontaneous hill fires, (guesstimate 90 %?). Like the bovine manure suggestion that Moo Katah braziers in the city contributed to the haze.It's just a natural occurrence, so learn to live with it, 'Mai pen rai' or in Chiang Mai, 'Bor ben Yang'.

To help with our understanding, can you please explain how these 'spontaneous' fires start?

Cause and ignition[edit] Wikepedia.
  1. A substance with a relatively low ignition temperature (hay, straw, peat, etc.) begins to release heat. This may occur in several ways, usually oxidation by a little moisture and air, bacterial fermentation generates heat.
  2. The heat is unable to escape (hay, straw, peat, etc. are good thermal insulators), and the temperature of the material rises.
  3. The temperature of the material rises above its ignition point (even though much of the bacteria are destroyed by ignition temperatures).
  4. Combustion begins if sufficient oxidizer, such as oxygen, and fuel are present to maintain the reaction into thermal run-away.

Chiang Mai to fight haze with water spray

Chiang Mai: – Provincial governor Suriya Prasatbandit has called for relevant agencies and the private sector to spray water in the town areas as a way to fight haze.

Suriya is scheduled today to turn on the water spray at Tha Phae Gate.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/805207-chiang-mai-to-fight-haze-with-water-spray/

And on the sly they will be turning it on to the particle readers.

Added: Stop calling them wildfires. There is nothing "wild" about some chump starting a fire deliberately. It's arson.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

My favorite "wild fire" a couple of days ago was the big bonfire burning at the front of the compound of the Amphur office at San Pa Thong throwing clouds of black smoke across the 108 Highway. With such blatant disregard by local officials of their own laws, how do they possibly expect anyone else to care?

• Like 1

From my own observations living in a very rural part North of CM - I don't see much burning in the fields. If there was any rice residue to be burnt off, it would have been done in January and Feb - not now. The problem was not evident earlier in the year. This leads me to the conclusion that it is the spontaneous high temperature fires in the hills that is the major problem. I look round at all the fires burning in the hills, and it's quite dramatic, especially at night. Some of these spots are pretty inaccessible, so I don't think they are induced by man. There is talk of some hill fires being started to encourage underground mushroom (morels); but I don't think this is significant.

What is interesting is that these hill fires don't cause much damage, it's just the undergrowth that burns, not the trees. In other parts of the world, similar forest fires are a major problem, just doesn't seem to be a problem here, apart from the haze. So, in response to the OP, talking won't do any good, as it's near impossible to deal with the spontaneous hill fires, (guesstimate 90 %?). Like the bovine manure suggestion that Moo Katah braziers in the city contributed to the haze.It's just a natural occurrence, so learn to live with it, 'Mai pen rai' or in Chiang Mai, 'Bor ben Yang'.

I also live outside of cm , and I can tell u 100% these hill fires are started for mushroom growth.

I have just been on the Mae Hong song loop and seen fires everywhere, whole mountains in Pai on fire and all started deliberately

Nothing will change the local government do nothing, the police r too busy in the town collecting money from motorbike riders to go and arrest fire starters

Local people just take this as a natural occurrence

You can learn to live with it if u like , but I will leave this city asap

You may well be right and after driving a few 100 kms around the Chiang Mai province this last 2 weeks there is not one area where the evidence of a fire is not clearly seen.Up past the hot springs there is also substantial evidence of road side burning. I doubt mushroom farmers or land holders would being doing that.but it just adds to the problem

The police will do nothing but with the junta in power we have hundreds of army personnel in the north sitting around with very little to do.Would it be too much for them to get out of barracks and start prosecuting people and putting fires out.It would certainly earn them a few brownie points.

Holding meetings is just a total waste of time ,they do that every year and just pontificate until the rains arrives.....problem solved.

To help with our understanding, can you please explain how these 'spontaneous' fires start?

Cause and ignition[edit] Wikepedia.
  1. A substance with a relatively low ignition temperature (hay, straw, peat, etc.) begins to release heat. This may occur in several ways, usually oxidation by a little moisture and air, bacterial fermentation generates heat.
  2. The heat is unable to escape (hay, straw, peat, etc. are good thermal insulators), and the temperature of the material rises.
  3. The temperature of the material rises above its ignition point (even though much of the bacteria are destroyed by ignition temperatures).
  4. Combustion begins if sufficient oxidizer, such as oxygen, and fuel are present to maintain the reaction into thermal run-away.

Yes I've seen it happen to hay bales in hay sheds, but I doubt there are any hay piles in the forests.

Agree these 'wildfires' are 100% man-made.

I see fires burning all around me here in Pattaya. Some are so bad, you can't see 1km down the road. And nothing is done.

Some of the worst are the charcoal makers. Their fires burn all the time....

Same in Hua Hin and surely country-wide. If Thailand wants to maintain the health of their population and continue to attract visitors from outside this foolish habit must be stopped by harsh punishments and intensive law enforcement.

They have this plan where water will be dropped from the air and trucks will spray water around the city. Chemically speaking and I'm no expert so to you experts please feel free to jump in... but I thought that Pollution, plus (+) Water (H2O) equals = Acid Rain

Aren't the hospitals busy enough.

Lots of dust in CM caused by dirty construction sites, innumerable wheels running over every soil particle 1000X, and sure, lack of rainfall.

Lots of air pollution caused by innumerable 2, 3, 4 and more wheeled, vehicles running around the city, vehicles which would never, ever meet normal emission standards in a 'civilized' place.

So i can conclude that burning the rice fields and nearby forests contribute about 40% to the current air problem of CM.

Ignorance and a weak government contribute heavily to the balance.

Do dirty constructions sites have more activity in the months of march and april ?? Do we have exponentially more vehicles during those months ??

So I can conclude you havent really thought this through..

My favorite "wild fire" a couple of days ago was the big bonfire burning at the front of the compound of the Amphur office at San Pa Thong throwing clouds of black smoke across the 108 Highway. With such blatant disregard by local officials of their own laws, how do they possibly expect anyone else to care?

The highway departments also use this time to burn off huge sections of the grass buildup on main roads.

Goes on year after year, after year with a lot of talk and nothing is ever done. Will still be the same problem in 50 years, more money to talk about it and the wheels keep turning.

What would you suggest they do about burning in other countries that affect Chiang Mai

Nuke them? Radiation can't be much worse!!!!