GoPro copy cam

BKKBike09

Was in Terminal 21 a few days ago and saw a GoPro style action cam for sale in a camera store on the 6th floor (the cinema floor). It was THB 3,500 which seemed pretty reasonable - something called an SJCam 4000 Wifi. I was going to see a film and had time to kill so I Googled it, saw the review below, and bought it on a whim.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/9/22/at-last-its-the-real-sj4000-wifi-review.html

I tried it on Sunday, clamped to the bars with various of the accessories that come in the box, and it seems to perform pretty well. Sound quality is so-so but the video quality seems good. The cheapest GoPro is 5,000 and I've since seen this cam online in Thailand for around 3,200. It comes with a big range of mounting brackets including for helmets.

Posting in case of use to anyone looking for a basic cam for commuting, fun or track. Hopefully there's a link below to a brief test clip (sorry I don't know how to embed vids)

https://vimeo.com/121031604

Can buy the sj4000 on Lazada for 2k bht. Great little cam and very happy with mine.

My SJ4,000 inadvertently got plugged into a 12 volt line, kaput. Does anyone repair these things or do I just toss it away.

• 2 weeks later...

Can buy the sj4000 on Lazada for 2k bht. Great little cam and very happy with mine.

I think you have to be careful about those SJ4000 cams. There are a lot of copies and OEM versions out there and a lot of them are fakes. The one Lazada is selling isn't actually an original SJ4000 made by SJCAM. It is a generic SJ4000 for 2,000 Baht:

http://www.lazada.co.th/you-are-spy-action-camera-sj4000c-wifi-black-801353.html

If you want a real SJCAM SJ4000 then they are more like 3,000 Baht on Lazada:

http://www.lazada.co.th/sjcam-sj4000-wi-fi-black-594412.html

Also, the SJ4000 has now been replaced by the SJ5000, which has a bigger screen and a few other bells and whistles and they are 4,600 Baht:

http://www.lazada.co.th/sjcam-sj5000-wifi-white-796859.html

This post shows how you can tell a fake SJ4000 from a real one:

http://www.seedcamera.com/News/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87-SJ4000-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%97%E0%B9%89-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A-SJ4000-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1-%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A2%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A3.html

Also, if you are interested in the major differences between the SJ4000 and the SJ5000 this guy does a good comparison, but it looks like he is comparing an OEM model too:

Edited by WingNut

This one seems like the best value for money perhaps. It has the original SJCAM SJ4000 camera, with wi-fi and bundled with all the attachments, two batteries, a charger, etc for 3,500 Baht by another company. The one I gave the link for above for 3,000 Baht buying from SJCAM directly really just has the camera, charging cable, 1 or 2 brackets and nothing else in the box.

http://www.lazada.co.th/gateway-sport-cam-sj4000-wifi-532027.html

In the video there's some wobbling effect due to the uneven surface I guess. Is there a way to prevent that? Very annoying but otherwise good quality it seems.

The wobble comes from mounting the camera on the bars.

Mounting it on a helmet is the best way, either on top, the chin bar or at the side. If you have an upright stance you can use a chest mount.

If you buy one of these .. buy it ( an original non-wifi ) from Lazada or ebay for less than 2000B - at the same time buy some spare buckle mounts, the latch on mine broke after i removed it a few times and it was another few weeks before I ended up receiving some more.

In the video there's some wobbling effect due to the uneven surface I guess. Is there a way to prevent that? Very annoying but otherwise good quality it seems.

The wobble comes from mounting the camera on the bars.

Mounting it on a helmet is the best way, either on top, the chin bar or at the side. If you have an upright stance you can use a chest mount.

If you buy one of these .. buy it ( an original non-wifi ) from Lazada or ebay for less than 2000B - at the same time buy some spare buckle mounts, the latch on mine broke after i removed it a few times and it was another few weeks before I ended up receiving some more.

I have been looking at these all day and comparing prices, options, etc. I am not sure about eBay, but the lowest price available for a real SJ4000 on Lazada is 3,000 Baht for one made by the real manufacturer, which is SJCam. Yes, there are ones for 2,000 Baht, but they are SJ4000 knockoffs and I wouldn't be willing to take a chance on a fake one just to save 1,000 Baht.

Also, if you want a real SJCam SJ4000 then only the Wi-Fi version is available now on Lazada. The older model without Wi-Fi has been discontinued I think. Maybe you can find an old one on eBay without Wi-Fi, but then you have possible issues with Thai customs and import duties on anything valued over 1,000 Baht coming in the post. Not worth it for something like this I think.

Also, I think the Wi-Fi version is much more useful IMHO. There are both iPhone and Android Apps made by SJCam for this camera and it allows you to use your phone or tablet as a means of looking through the lens. I think this can be extremely useful for getting the camera into some tight positions and seeing what the camera's viewing angle is as it may not always be possible to get down and easily look at the small screen on the back of the camera if for example the camera is mounted down around the foot-peg or something. Of if you have the camera mounted to your helmet how can you see what the camera is going to capture once it is mounted on your helmet? Again, seeing through the camera's lens on your smartphone would be a big help at that point to make sure the camera isn't pointed in the wrong direction. So I think the Wi-Fi function is well worth having.

The best option I found is this one for 3,490 Baht which bundles it with an extra battery and an external charger. So you get 2 batteries with it this way:

http://www.lazada.co.th/sjcam-sj4000-wi-fi-black-free-battery-charger-564078.html

It is being sold by ActionCam Thailand on Lazada and they have their own Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Actioncamthailand

On the FaceBook page the guy lists Lazada coupon codes as they come out and change throughout the day to get a discount off the prices on Lazada, but discount codes on Lazada change every few hours, which is a bit annoying.

But at the moment you can use the coupon code "HIT350", which lowers the price by 350 Baht and brings the price down to 3,140 Baht net.

You can also buy the one without the extra battery and charger for 3,000 Baht and then apply the 350 Baht discount and get it for 2,650 Baht:

http://www.lazada.co.th/sjcam-sj4000-wi-fi-black-594412.html?mp=1

I put this on my bike so it constantly records and there is no battery that ever needs to be replaced.

It is not waterproof but it's only ~$60.

I waterproofed it myself (I know its ugly but no one will steal it then) and think it is pretty awesome and cheap insurance.

If I ever see something cool riding I can pull the memory card out.

https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/complete-review-of-g1w-c-capacitor-based-dash-camera-nt96650-ar0330-1080p-30fps.3543/

post-91685-0-60481800-1426625941_thumb.j

post-91685-0-67281900-1426625954_thumb.j

Edited by ttakata

With Lazada you really have to watch out. I checked on a nice Nikon D5300 camera (2) prices one for about 34,000 baht Real Nikon with a Nikon Asia warranty. Authorized Repair center in Phuket. the other is a Chinese copy with a tail light warranty for 26900 baht. you really have to watch out when buying anything online.

All I want to know is how you guys can converse with them . My girlfriend says they speak Quai Thai & she can't even understand them & no matter what if you want to talk to the boss never gonna happen with that company! If your buying any electronic equipment online from anywhere in Asia if the price seems to low it is almost 100% certainty of being a knock off. Most of the tools available here are not even close to the right serial numbers as Germany Bosch & Black & Decker England or Dewalt USA. Makita is Chinese made etc. If in doubt & you can figure out how to get them to tell you the serial numbers Just about any reputable company will tell you at least if the product is theirs or a fake) for 35,000 baht + I need to know the facts on something 2000-3000 Baht I can live with it if it dies. Most of the cheapies are purchased from Alibaba online from China so they get it cheap & sell it a little cheaper than the real deal. Just like the remote control for the camera I bout $1.10-$1.90 for it made in China . Same unit that Nikon sells. Amazon price $11.00 -$49.00 same 40 baht unit. same name same guts same same.when I am ready for my bike cam & for freefall sky diving mine will be a Go-Pro just cause I will only have one chance when I do my base jump to get the shot. The last thing I need is snow-No Pic on the video. But depends what you are using it for. Hopefully you have great luck. I have lost all interest in dealing with Lazada & found their sources for electronics sell it cheaper anyway.so when you see those groovy discounts offered they raise the price up & then discount. World Camera is cheaper on anything to do with video or camera gear. If we all haven't figured out Lazada's pricing already.

Edited by Beardog

I bought the SJ4000 on 3rd floor in Tukcom Pattaya for 3500b. There are 2 annoying problems with this camera: 1 - Battery time is a maximum of 30min in 1080p. 2 - The anti shake doesn't do much to anti-shake. But pics look good - if not moving too much. On motorcycle it's way too shaky if attached to the bike. Now gonna try the hero.

^SJ4000 is an awesome camera for the money. Better camera mounts sort the shaking out on the bike. Sometimes you have to wedge some glue pads in the case as it can move around a little.

I have the GoPro 4 too and battery life on that is pants for the money. The best camera for the bike is my Drift-Ghost S. Battery a minimum 2:30hr, and positioning is highly flexible and you don't look like a total numpty with it on your helmet as you do the gopro.

I just got an original SJCam SJ4000 wifi model delivered today from Lazada. Cost net 3,140 Baht and it came with a second battery and an external battery charger for the second battery. So that should solve battery limitation issues. The only downside I heard is that when you remove the battery from the camera to do a battery swap that it resets everything in the menus. But no drama, using the camera's smartphone app I can reset the settings over wifi from my phone in a few seconds, plus most default settings are pretty much ok anyway it seems.

I am going to give it a try tonight if I can get it hooked up to my passenger footpeg properly. I heard the newer SJ5000 is much better video quality for night video stuff, but I didn't want to spend nearly double the price for a camera I may only use a few times for shitz and giggles anyway.

I'm trying to figure out where the guy who posted the video below mounted his camera? If it was the left passenger footpeg I would expect to see part of the bike's frame in the video too. Must have been mounted even further back somehow and very close to the rear tire on the swing arm itself perhaps?

Edited by WingNut

The only downside I heard is that when you remove the battery from the camera to do a battery swap that it resets everything in the menus. But no drama, using the camera's smartphone app I can reset the settings over wifi from my phone in a few seconds, plus most default settings are pretty much ok anyway it seems.

I thought this was the case, but mine keeps the settings but it looses the time/date.

You might want to play with the settings tho' - turn off the auto wb as you can notice it sharply changing the balance, try Fluoro or tungsten, it gives a more gopro blue sky effect.

I think you might want to check out the exposure, I think mines bumped up +2

There is some trick with the sharpening where you drop it to -2 to sharpen +2 .. But maybe the latest firmware cured the bug.

Thank you. I removed my battery and changed it and I didn't lose any settings. It kept the date and time too I think, but probably the clock stopped working when I took the battery out so it might be a couple minutes behind now. Thanks, yes, I am aware of the white balance settings and the exposure settings. He covered all that in the 2 review videos above.

• 7 months later...

Video comparison

Hero 4 vs Soocoo S70. (4.000-6.000 baht on lazada)

Hero 4 looks like better image stabilization but s70 video not so bad and cheap price.

I think its good alternative Go pro.

Somebody already use s60 or s70 ?

P.s.

Sorry, can't insert youtube video in here.

Just search on youtube "Soocoo S70 vs GoPro Hero 4 Silver (video comparison)"

Edited by jev23