Moving to Pattaya / Jomtien or Hua Hin?

dagling

I can not quite decide where to move, I hear a lot of positive and negative about both places.
Want to buy a condo, when we already have houses here in Isaan which we will visit a few times a year due to her family and our mutual friends up here.
Where do you get the most for your money when buying condo, and how is the cost of living between Pattaya / Hua Hin?
I am 48 years old, married with thai seven years. Like visiting a restuanrant / bar one to two times per week for some beers and food.
Beginning to get enough of Isaan and heat up here, 42 degrees here today and zero wind;-(
Do not want to move further south than Hua Hin. Feeling perhaps that Pattaya has more to offer in terms of activities, and is closer to the airport and Bangkok and other places I like, for example Kho Samet and Kho Chang.
Someone who has experience of having lived both places, that will give me some advice?
Would love to hear about why you chose your current residence.
  • Like 1

I lived in Pattaya for ten years then Sakhon Nakon for 2 , back to Pattaya and after 2 more years moved to Hua Hin for some peace and quiet. Lived there for 3 years but it was a bit too peaceful. So I moved back to Jomtien. I prefer it because the airport is nearer there are multiple choices for medical care, a lot more shopping choices and if you need it a large expat community for people to speak too. Not many condos in Hua Hin and way more expensive than here too :)

• Like 2

MickA hits the nail on the head.

Last time I was there it had one small Plaza. Parking is a pain and the whole central road has a dividing wall/floral hedge that has virtually no turns or crossover points and you drive miles just to get to the other side of the road...or it did when I was last there about 3 years ago.

The beach disappears at high tide as it comes right up to the beach resort walls and there is no way to promenade along the beach without walking on the sand when the tide recedes.

Huan Hin is the polar opposite of Pattaya.

Also, ex-pat women looked at me like I was a raging Pedo due to the age difference between me and the GF.

In Pattaya we only get a few older former soviet women looking back and forth between us in Central Festival. But not normally with a look of utter disdain that I got in HH.

I went there fully planning to make a move from Jomtien. That idea went within 48 hours...

• Like 2

I lived in HH for 2 years and it can be so boring - you see the same people in the bars all the time, at least in Pattaya you have many different areas to go.

Pattaya cheaper as well - but wait.... i heard there is an idea for a ferry service from Cha Am to Pattaya - so you could live in Pattaya and still take a look at what you are missing in HH.

This is a new ferry idea by the way folks, not the old one from a few years ago.... would be nice if it was a car ferry huh? be able to sit on a boat for a couple of hours instead of driving 4

I'm in Jomtien for exactly the same reasons: Hua Hin is just too boring and Pattaya is just too manic. Jomtien is about right, and easy enough to get from here to Pattaya for restaurants etc. if needed.

Wherever the OP ends up I would recommend not buying a condo for a while as prices seem to be going down rather than up.

Also I would recommend renting for at least a year just to see if he likes the place.

If he bought the wrong condo in the wrong place it could take years or decades to sell on at anything approaching the list price.

• Like 2

I'm in Jomtien for exactly the same reasons: Hua Hin is just too boring and Pattaya is just too manic. Jomtien is about right, and easy enough to get from here to Pattaya for restaurants etc. if needed.

Wherever the OP ends up I would recommend not buying a condo for a while as prices seem to be going down rather than up.

Also I would recommend renting for at least a year just to see if he likes the place.

If he bought the wrong condo in the wrong place it could take years or decades to sell on at anything approaching the list price.

On top of that there are a ton of new condo units coming on stream in the next year or two.

• Like 1

I lived in HH for 2 years and it can be so boring - you see the same people in the bars all the time, at least in Pattaya you have many different areas to go.

Pattaya cheaper as well - but wait.... i heard there is an idea for a ferry service from Cha Am to Pattaya - so you could live in Pattaya and still take a look at what you are missing in HH.

This is a new ferry idea by the way folks, not the old one from a few years ago.... would be nice if it was a car ferry huh? be able to sit on a boat for a couple of hours instead of driving 4

Is there really ferry?

I imagine it would be slow.

Ch'am is a great place to practice your thai.

It is al most all thai tourists with a smattering of farang retirees.