Illegitimate children with British father born before 1st July 2006 law change?

As anybody in this situation probably knows very well, there currently exists an arbitrary and unfair cut off date whereby a British father who was not married to the child's mother can only pass his Nationality to the child if the birth was after 1st July 2006. Meaning an unmarried British citizen with two children, one born before that date and one born after that date has an automatic right to pass his nationality only to the one born after July 2006 with the one born before 1st July 2006 having to make application on form MN1 at a cost of around GBP 700 and then wait around 6 months for some unnamed person to say yes or no at their own discretion.

I have been waiting patiently for the past few years for this anomaly to be addressed as there have always been murmurs that it was on the agenda but unless I have been in the sun too long today (which is possible), I think that the following page I stumbled upon as I was just about to give up and start the process, says that it now finally has and that from 6th April 2015, both children will now be treated the same.

I haven't seen any posts about this which surprises me as I think it is of importance to more than just myself so if somebody could read the following page for me and confirm that my understanding is correct, I would be very grateful.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408524/Section_65_of_the_Immigration_Act_2014_-_Feb_2015.pdf

Thanks!

I sympathize with you. My girl's mother pissed off with the papers when I refused to shell out money. I have a one year old girl the American Embassy refuses to recognize. I checked the tambon office -- no records except one showing she was born. Without a birth certificate, she has no home anywhere.

Just another great way America looks out for their own. By American law, I am responsible for the well being of any child I father, but the regulations prevent me from filing for her citizenship.

I am seriously considering smuggling my own legitimate child into my own country...where she would be an illegal alien...

How totally <deleted> up is that? I was told point blank "We cannot help you. You have no recourse."

ermm.gifangry.gif And arrogant Americans laugh at the Thai legal system. What a joke. But I do not get to laugh. I ahve to stop writing or zI will simultaneously burst out in tears and howl with anger.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I sympathize with you. My girl's mother pissed off with the papers when I refused to shell out money. I have a one year old girl the American Embassy refuses to recognize. I checked the tambon office -- no records except one showing she was born. Without a birth certificate, she has no home anywhere.

Just another great way America looks out for their own. By American law, I am responsible for the well being of any child I father, but the regulations prevent me from filing for her citizenship.

I am seriously considering smuggling my own legitimate child into my own country...where she would be an illegal alien...

How totally <deleted> up is that? I was told point blank "We cannot help you. You have no recourse."

alt=ermm.gif> alt=angry.gif> And arrogant Americans laugh at the Thai legal system. What a joke. But I do not get to laugh. I ahve to stop writing or zI will simultaneously burst out in tears and howl with anger.

I am just wondering if you have full parental rights in relation to the child. If not then the situation is indeed very difficult and you may need to seek legal assistance in securing a resolution.

It would certainly seem that the change in the law is now going to be made retrospective, we will now have to wait for the full details in the registration process to be announced shortly.

Fingers crossed.

Just a few Links for people (British fathers only - please Note the title of the Thread - this does not apply to Americans) ;

http://www.ukcitizenshipequality.com/

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/1496/made

https://britishbydescent.wordpress.com/2011/09/15/children-born-to-unmarried-british-fathers/

Patrick

Ok - I got this info from a friend whistling.gif it might just help...

Go to the Police Forensic hospital in Bangkok (you and the child) and ask for a parental DNA test to prove you are the father. This costs around THB10,000.

The results take quite a few weeks to be delivered to you by EMS.

Then take the Police hospital results to the Thai provincial ampheur office where the childs birth was registered to get your name put on the Thai birth certificate correctly listed as the father. This takes about 3 months to process.

On receipt of the Thai birth certificate with you correctly listed as the father, simaltaneouslly apply for a birth certificate(from your own countries embassy) and passport using an embassy official translation of the Thai birth certificate into English.

This should work. The process is very long winded, has no guarantee of success, the passport office could not be more unhelpful, and the rules are changing all the time.;

The passport office may well request a 2nd independent DNA test during the PP and BC application.

I recommend that your hire a decent Bangkok lawyer to help with the process. Estimated lawyer fees will be about THB20,000

Good luck.

Edited by SteveB2
  • Like 1

ermm.gifangry.gif And arrogant Americans laugh at the Thai legal system. What a joke. But I do not get to laugh. I ahve to stop writing or zI will simultaneously burst out in tears and howl with anger.

I read your story and sympathise with you. Surely as there is a record of her birth I know it is not what you want but you can get her a Thai Passport, by the time she grows up Asean will probably all be one no border zone like Europe. I understand the US would expect a signature from the mother which is obvious and only fair surely you have some details on her and can appoint a lawyer or Police to find her and can she deny your permission to take the child overseas if like you say she abandoned the child?