Falling out with the NCPO can be costly

webfact

Falling out with the NCPO can be costly
PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK
THE NATION

30255750-01_big.jpg
Anti-coup activist Sombat Boonngam-anong is selling clocks with a political message to make ends meet since the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) froze his bank money last May.

BANGKOK: -- THE consequences for those who dared to publicly oppose the military junta after the May coup have led to some peculiar life changes - and for some, money issues have become a major concern.

Take the case of former Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang, who defied a summons from the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) right after the coup and subsequently faces trial in a military court. Much of his time now is spent writing letters to the NCPO chief to unfreeze his money - but to no avail.

Chaturon said freezing money of those who publicly opposed the coup and refused to report to the NCPO is a tactic meant to prevent people like himself from using their financial resources to mount anti-coup activities.

But Chaturon is not running away. He is now on bail fighting in the military court, while his unspecified millions remain frozen in the banks.

Letters written separately to both General Prayut Chan-o-cha, the NCPO leader, and Prayut Chan-o-cha, the prime minister, have met with no response so far, leaving Chaturon with two observations.

"If such a matter has gone on for six months and has not reached the hands of General Prayut, I wonder how much General Prayut is aware of the sufferings faced by ordinary people," Chaturon remarked.

His second observation was about justice and how appropriate such a prolonged punishment was, given he is yet to be found guilty by even the military court on three separate charges.

The charges are: refusing to comply with the junta's summons order, which carries a jail term of up to two years; violating Penal Code Article 116, which essentially means inciting unrest and carries a jail term of up to seven years; and violating the Computer Crimes Act, which carries a jail term of up to five years.

"I am still being put on trial with the court having yet to make any judgement.

"Yet I am facing punishment measures without first being judged whether I am guilty or not. The trial has a long way to go but I am now being punished like someone who's already guilty," he said.

Besides having all his money frozen, Chaturon is forbidden from making financial transactions. He can't use his credit card or ATM card. He can't purchase things like social media applications online and when he travels abroad, he has to carry cash only.

The veteran Pheu Thai Party politician said his situation is no fun, although he acknowledged he has no problem borrowing money from his wife, relatives and friends.

Red Sunday Group leader Sombat Boonngam-anong, who led a short-lived anti-coup movement and was eventually arrested, is in the same boat - but with a much more difficult financial situation as he's a man of modest means.

Sombat, who's been out on bail since December, began selling wall-mounted clocks for a living after all his cash, over Bt1 million, was frozen by the NCPO in May.

Numerous requests relayed through his NCPO contacts for his money to be "unfrozen" have met with failure.

"They said they'll see to it, but nothing happened. I am puzzled. I always report myself to the [military] court when ordered, yet my assets are still frozen. I am not running away, so why do they not [unfreeze] it?"

The clocks sell for Bt2,900 apiece. They're no ordinary clocks, however, as the dial features an image of the famous historic bronze plate commemorating the 24 June 1932 revolt, which ended absolute monarchy.

"I thought there should be some symbolism to it," said Sombat, whose wife and daughter have fled to the United States for safe haven, adding that these days he spends time delivering the clocks to his customer-sympathisers in person.

Some 200 clocks have been sold so far and as they tick away, Sombat wonders when his money will be unfrozen.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Falling-out-with-the-NCPO-can-be-costly-30255750.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-11

Sombat....you reap what you sow.

Ridiculing opponents and striving in a semi NGO like UN sponsored outback in Mae Yao,where for the last decade they...the mirror group charges volunteers to volunteer,

Sombat, better know as 'Nuling" has overplayed his hand by jumping on the red caravan, hoping to cash in on the shinawatra fortune........

Oh..........I know him personally 'well'

Some say....the lone student who never grew up.

Others........no comment!

• Like 2

Don't know about the specific case but since the money is not claimed to be ill-gotten gains, they should not be completely freezing up everything like this. If they are to freeze, they should freeze assets but release enough money through a trust that is used to pay for living expenses etc. You lock up money that could be used for "illegal" activities, but release enough money to live on while his case comes to court.

In addition, this is part (only part) of what they confront everyone that they call in for an "attitude adjustment". It is not just former politicians, but reporters or anyone that fails to roll over like a good dog. Of course they think 7 days to impart this "adjustment" (even with all the other extra-judicial measures) is too short and they want to change it so it can go up to 84 days.

Where can I buy a clock????

Be careful what you do with it. I remember a couple of protesters assaulted by redshirts for having a similar clock - supposedly it COULD have been a bomb. Redshirts think like that.

Edited by halloween

the ptp govt he was a part of froze the bank accounts of several protesters prior to the general taking over and now we see this idiot trying to claim freezing his accounts unfair. Maybe he should do what the protesters did and take it to the courts to decide unless he knows that what he did deserves this and that the courts would back it up. If he believes this is not right them instead of mouthing off trying to get sympathy he should take legal action, thats what an innocent person would do but then we all know no ptp govt lackie is innocent

• Like 2

Quote ""If such a matter has gone on for six months and has not reached the hands of General Prayut, I wonder how much General Prayut is aware of the sufferings faced by ordinary people," Chaturon remarked."

Ordinary people don't do what you have been doing. They spend their lives trying to earn enough money to live on, keep a roof over their heads , put food on the table and send their children to school.

Quote "Besides having all his money frozen, Chaturon is forbidden from making financial transactions. He can't use his credit card or ATM card. He can't purchase things like social media applications online and when he travels abroad, he has to carry cash only.The veteran Pheu Thai Party politician said his situation is no fun, although he acknowledged he has no problem borrowing money from his wife, relatives and friends."

Aren't you the lucky one to be able to borrow that money? Try living in the real world in Thailand where household debts are so high the only way people manage to survive at times is to borrow more money from loan sharks.

The majority of Thai people have NEVER been abroad and would have no idea of the "hardships" that you are living under.

• Like 2

Many posters stated that the PTP froze bank accounts of protest leaders, but provide no specifics. Were these 'leaders' leading protests in clear violation of the law? The ones illegally occupying government property, blocking roads, refusing legal orders to disperse, etc.?

Chaturon Chaisang defied an order to report to the junta, where he undoubtedly would have been held incommunicado without charge for an indefinite period for 'attitude adjustment'. Before being released the detainees are forced to sign a documents:

"that allow the junta to seize their assets if they become involved with “any political movement.”" http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/10/world/asia/thailand-junta-drowning-the-opposition-in-paperwork.html?_r=4

The only illegal act mentioned is his refusal to comply to the junta's order, which is of questionable legallity. The type of detention he would have been subjected to is a clear violation of human rights and would not be deemed legal by an international court.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

The Minister is complaining about the Military Government using EXACTLY the same tactics as the PTP government did when he was a minister in that government when they were trying to limit the protests against the Amnesty Bill.

Why he did not follow the order ?

It was his decision , not to follow,

so he was expecting the Reds will suceed with terror and war ??

He should take the responsability without shouting around now,

if not stop shouting,

he should get another law suit !!

Many posters stated that the PTP froze bank accounts of protest leaders, but provide no specifics. Were these 'leaders' leading protests in clear violation of the law? The ones illegally occupying government property, blocking roads, refusing legal orders to disperse, etc.?

Chaturon Chaisang defied an order to report to the junta, where he undoubtedly would have been held incommunicado without charge for an indefinite period for 'attitude adjustment'. The only illegal act mentioned is his refusal to comply to the junta's order, which is of questionable legallity. The type of detention he would have been subjected to is a clear violation of human rights and would not be deemed legal by an international court.

stay on the truth chap !!

Who reported and was clear innocent , were released in short time as promised;

Innocents were all released within the 10 days !

Some did fear and didn't show up ? Why ?

Because they did know !

Why his wife and doughter fleed ? because they did know there were shit on the stick !!

Chaturon Chaisang defied an order to report to the junta, where he undoubtedly would have been held incommunicado without charge for an indefinite period for 'attitude adjustment'. The only illegal act mentioned is his refusal to comply to the junta's order, which is of questionable legallity. The type of detention he would have been subjected to is a clear violation of human rights and would not be deemed legal by an international court.

The great difference between PTP government and PRDC it's that PTP use terrorism method to silent his opponent.....

If you forget during PRDC stage, a lot of protest has been kill but PTP supporter, 5 children lost live during PTP supporter terror attack.........

I'm not see or hear that PRDC kill children or cheer this news... not like UDD in Pattaya meeting last year who cheer the kill of children and innocent people.......

stay on the truth chap !!

Who reported and was clear innocent , were released in short time as promised;

Innocents were all released within the 10 days !

Some did fear and didn't show up ? Why ?

Because they did know !

Why his wife and doughter fleed ? because they did know there were shit on the stick !!

Clearly you approve of summoning and detaining people without charge, holding them for days, then forcing them to sign documents acknowledging they will lose all financial assets if they engage in political activities.

In short you approve of a heavy handed police state, and assume the state is always right and is correct in determining who is innocent and who is guilty in an opaque non-judicial process.

• Like 2

The great difference between PTP government and PRDC it's that PTP use terrorism method to silent his opponent.....

If you forget during PRDC stage, a lot of protest has been kill but PTP supporter, 5 children lost live during PTP supporter terror attack.........

I'm not see or hear that PRDC kill children or cheer this news... not like UDD in Pattaya meeting last year who cheer the kill of children and innocent people.......

I see, you must have evidence the PTP was complicit in these illegal acts. You shouldn't admit to that, it's illegal to withhold evidence of crimes from the government.

Presumably you can also prove the anti-democracy protesters weren't responsible for any illegal acts.

I see, you must have evidence the PTP was complicit in these illegal acts. You shouldn't admit to that, it's illegal to withhold evidence of crimes from the government.

Presumably you can also prove the anti-democracy protesters weren't responsible for any illegal acts.

Army and police show these evidence when they arrest Khon Khaen terrorist cell , I don't know where you hidden before coup but you not follow news conscientiously..................wai2.gif

Edited by than

Army and police show these evidence when they arrest Khon Khaen terrorist cell , I don't know where you hidden before coup but you not follow news conscientiously..................wai2.gif

I'm sure I would have seen it in the news if the army had released evidence linking the PTP government to a Khon Khaen terrorist cell. If there were such I news story why don't you provide a link?

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Army and police show these evidence when they arrest Khon Khaen terrorist cell , I don't know where you hidden before coup but you not follow news conscientiously..................wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

Stopping people from voting by intimidation isn't terrorism at all is it

• Like 1

I'm sure I would have seen it in the news if the army had released evidence linking the PTP government to a Khon Khaen terrorist cell. If there were such I news story why don't you provide a link?

Khon Khaen terrorist cell link to UDD, UDD link to PTP. Q.E.D. !!!!!

I'm very sad for you It's a choc for you to learn that yours heroes were only a criminal gang.....

But I think you begun your reconstruction work

Currently you are between the phase 2 or 3 : the denial, the anger and bargaining

the next step will be the sadness, resignation, acceptance and finally rebuilding.......

I know it's not easy for you currently, but I hope you will see the true soon.....

Take care !!!!!

• Like 1

I'm very sad for you It's a choc for you to learn that yours heroes were only a criminal gang.....

Currently you are between the phase 2 or 3 : the denial, the anger and bargaining

the next step will be the sadness, resignation, acceptance and finally rebuilding.......

I know it's not easy for you currently, but I hope you will see the true soon.....

Take care !!!!!

So that's your evidence that PTP ordered the killings?

Take care !!!!!

That I said the denial is the best ally of red shirts......

Take care !!!!!

Blah, blah! No evidence!

• Like 1

Blah, blah! No evidence!

Evidence has been show by the past ...............

Where is your evidence that PTP has been not link to this

Blah, blah! No evidence!

Evidence has been show by the past ...............

Where is your evidence that PTP has been not link to this

The basic rule is that it is the accusing party that must provide proofs, not the contrary. smile.png

What you cite show the Khon Khaen terrorist cell belongs to the same political side as the PTP, not that the PTP government ordered the killings.