Trust the junta not to hog power, says Prayut

webfact

THE NATION

30255840-01_big.jpg?1426112887585

Wissanu insists substantial changes can still be made to the new charter

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday asked for public trust in his government and reiterated that members of the junta would not stay in power after the new constitution comes into effect.

The junta and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) yesterday acknowledged the first draft of the new constitution completed by the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC).

He urged the public to trust the "driver of the Thailand car."

"We have replaced the brakes and other spare parts," he said.

Prayut was speaking at the Army Club on the sidelines of yesterday's meeting of the five post-coup bodies - the NCPO, the Cabinet, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), the National Reform Council (NRC) and the CDC.

'Gear up for next elections'

He said yesterday's meeting was aimed at reporting the progress of the five bodies in their efforts to solve the country's problems.

He urged the relevant agencies to gear up for the next general election after the new constitution comes into effect.

He called on all parties not to cause conflicts for the country and said that his government was working on ensuring social justice.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said changes can still be made to the new constitution.

The National Reform Council (NRC) will next month deliberate the final draft before referring it to the government.

"More changes can still be made at that time, even on the major principles of the constitution," he said.

Wissanu, a legal expert, said any of the five junta-appointed agencies could even make substantial changes to the draft charter, such as deleting or adding entire sections.

Wissanu, who also attended the meeting, was responding to concerns that members of the junta might attempt to stay in power after the new constitution comes into effect.

The meeting was attended by key leaders of the five bodies, including Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, NLA President Phornpetch Wichitcholchai, NRC President Thienchay Kiranandana, and CDC Chairman Borwornsak Uwanno.

It was the third meeting of the five organisations, which came into existence following the coup last May.

Security was tight at the meeting, with a joint force of police and soldiers guarding the area around Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Trust-the-junta-not-to-hog-power-says-Prayut-30255840.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-12

"trust me"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

In spite of the fact that my prediction is still that he will become Prem II, maybe there is a reason to believe the general when he says things like this....

PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday asked for public trust in his government and reiterated that members of the junta would not stay in power after the new constitution comes into effect.

after all, he has enough loyal minions to send into politics... Maybe he'll even let Mark run the show again. wink.png

• Like 1

If there is one thing Thai people should have learned by now is that no one in a position of power tells the truth and once they have any power they tend to like to keep a tight grip on it for as long as possible by any means possible

I trust the hog more than I trust Prayuth!

• Like 1

As none of you ever trusted anybody in your lives, I don't expect that you will trust the Prime Minister either.

Not that it matters, as we have no impact on Thai politics, so we can blabber as long as we like without any effect.

But, just think back.

Has he ever promised something and he hasn't delivered or he is in the process of delivering?

Has he ever lied to his people?

OK he comes up with some funny statements, sometimes, but that doesn't diminish the integrity of the man.

About time you all start believing in him and stop mocking him.

He is the best that ever happened to Thailand.

• Like 2

Has he ever promised something and he hasn't delivered or he is in the process of delivering?

He said he was not going to usurp power and he did.

He really has done very little except drive away business and innovative people. He gets credit for the bike lanes, and that floating market, but that is hardly a reason for deposing an elected government.

Can you be specific as to what he has done that is so fantastic ?

We are all waiting for the constitution, but most bet it will take Thailand back to where the elites have greater control.

As none of you ever trusted anybody in your lives, I don't expect that you will trust the Prime Minister either.

Not that it matters, as we have no impact on Thai politics, so we can blabber as long as we like without any effect.

But, just think back.

OK he comes up with some funny statements, sometimes, but that doesn't diminish the integrity of the man.

About time you all start believing in him and stop mocking him.

He is the best that ever happened to Thailand.

What a shameful and disrespectful post Costas!!

Trust? What would you know about trust since you know better than anyone else?

Trust? I trusted my fellow security professionals every single day that they stood by me when the shit hits the fan and things went noisy.

Trusted my local nationals not to do runners when it went noisy alongside my expat brothers.. They earned that trust over and over and over again, and still do till this day.

Trust, by giving my son access to my account to take some money out when I wasn't able to do it from overseas, he earned that trust!!

Having All my salary paid into my Thai wides bank account whilst I was setting up mine, 6 figure amounts the months I work, never ever has she taken anything from that without asking first, she earned my trust.

Boarding my flights too and from the Kingdom, I trust implicitly the flight crew that the aircraft is fully operational and they have the experience and qualifications to react in any type of emergency!!!

I could go on and on an on about your misinformed post about nobody having ever trusted anyone in their lives, but so have a feeling you just wouldn't understand!!

• Like 1

This is a revealing statement in that Prayut admits that the NCPO will KEEP power after formation of a new government, just not all of the power it currently holds.

But considering the constitutional, legislative, and judicial constraints the NCPO and its clones are crafting in the formation of a new government, I have to wonder eactly what power would be left to an elected government? It seems only the "power" to be elected will be granted to the Thai people. The NCPO will still retain sovereign power over Thais. The NCPO will determine at any one time the extent it is willing to grant rights and liberties to Thais. Indeed, the NCPO will effectively choke off any future democratic evolution in Thailand and essentially create a one-party system more in common with communist countries.

Thank you General Prayut for your honesty.

Five Chinese Thais promising the native brown Thais they will get a fair share of the power they never had when the charter written for other Thais comes into effect by a vote of Bangkok Thais.

Um blink.png Ok. Sure. I would live to buy the North Pole for a billion baht.

• Like 2

Thanks to this General Bangkok is a much safer place to live or be on holiday. The pavements are being cleared, corruption stopped, police reformed, no more fighting protestors, no more roadblocks.

Keep it up General, we are happy with you here in the city.

• Like 1