Staff worry about govt silence on next TAT chief

webfact

Staff worry about govt silence on next TAT chief
SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- STAFF at the Tourism Authority of Thailand have urged the Tourism and Sports Ministry to pick a new TAT governor this month to ensure the authority can continue to strengthen the industry, which is expected to face more competition this year.

The term of the current TAT governor, Thawatchai Arunyik, will be complete at the end of this month. While the procedure to select a replacement began early last year, the ministry has been silent on its progress.A group of TAT employees have called the media's attention to this issue. They said many staff members were worried about the apparent lack of progress on appointing their new leader.

It has been reported that the TAT board will hold an urgent meeting today to discuss the situation.

The staff members said internal workflow and management might become unstable and inefficient if the agency lacks a leader with full authority. Moreover, they worry that the competitiveness of the country's tourism industry may suffer from poor internal organisation.

According to the TAT administrative office, there are three finalists for the governor's post. They are Nalikatibhag Sangsnit, director-general of Designated Areas for Sustainable Tourism Administration (DASTA), Sorayut Phettrakul, assistant to the industry minister, and Somrak Kumputch, the TAT's deputy governor for administration.

The employees noted that the current military-led regime had claimed it was focusing on revitalising the tourism industry, yet had said nothing about getting a new governor for the TAT.

Last year after seizing power from the elected government, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha appointed Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul as minister of tourism and sports. She was assigned to run the national tourism campaign, "Discover Thainess". During Prayut's regime, the TAT board has also got a new chairman, Kalin Sarasin.

"There have been many changes among the top executives, except the governor position. And we should have the new one [in place] to continue our job," one of staff members said, adding that Nalikatibhag was claimed as the most likely choice because of his direct experience and expertise compared with the other two candidates.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Staff-worry-about-govt-silence-on-next-TAT-chief-30255821.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-12

Reports (perhaps exaggerated) suggest that the next TAT chief will be at least 8 feet tall, growing to 9 feet 6 inches over the next three years.

Maybe that is why they are taking time to find a candidate?

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

I am available...I can start immediately...please call me on 0800-get-those-tourists

C.V. Skills/Credentials

What I am capable of......

1. Can talk utter crap without batting an eyelid.

2. Can generate 20 tourist promotion ideas a week...yes 20 a week

3. Excellent skills at mathematics e.g. 50 tourists plus 50 tourists = 1000 tourists

4. I am brainless (who needs a brain to work for TAT)

and many more which need to remain confidential but I will reveal at my interview

Edited by KIWIBATCH
  • Like 2

TAT expects a new governor by the end of this month. A TAT spokesperson said that the probability for a ne governor was at 65.3%, up by 15.2% from last week's numbers. At the same time last year the probability was at 0%, since a governor was already in office, therefore this years numbers constitute a gain of 100% over last year's. And that's the way we do it at TAT. Sayonara...

How hard is it to find another numbskull?

I heard on the grapevine they want a high profile foreigner this time. Someone highly experienced with a long track record of success.

But Mickey's a tough negotiator and wants Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald all to be given board seats and lifetime free first class travel on Thai air. whistling.gif

What's the difference in function between the Chairman (currently Kalin Sarasin) and the Governor (Thawatchai Arunyik)?

Good question.

One "governs" and the other "chairs". wink.png

Guess the chairman actually chair meetings? (Not guaranteed in Thailand of course). whistling.gif

Edited by Baerboxer

I recommand they should try to find a dark man, best from Afrika ( preferred from Nigeria ),

because when the Chinese and Koreans will find out they scammed here,

TAT will have to target a new country for tourists,

and so far as I know, I havn't seen any activity from them

to catch new wealthy tourists from this continent,

I think this would be easy guests,

as they know Thai bahavier already from their countries ,

The staff members said internal workflow and management might become unstable and inefficient if the agency lacks a leader with full authority. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Moreover, they worry that the competitiveness of the country's tourism industry may suffer from poor internal organisation. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Aye, hurry up, find a new head for the weekly silly statement factory cheesy.gif

The staff is worried, they are going to lose the head joker!!!! whistling.gif

What's the difference in function between the Chairman (currently Kalin Sarasin) and the Governor (Thawatchai Arunyik)?

Good question.

One "governs" and the other "chairs". wink.png

Guess the chairman actually chair meetings? (Not guaranteed in Thailand of course). whistling.gif

So, do we need both ?