German tourist’s suicide jump at Suvanarbhumi airport

Thaivisa News

I would think some college student in Thailand would take this on as a project. Research the published papers from a few cities and make the list. I also think the report would be squashed because it might be deemed as showing too much negative information and might hurt tourism or the country's reputation.

Well according to WHO one person commits suicide every 40 seconds world wide (so if there's one a week in Pattaya, it's not a major contributor). Probably more important to see who is more likely to commit suicide than where they happen to be when they do it. Looks like males from parts of Europe, Russia, India and Africa are the most likely, followed by males from the rest of Europe and the US. Thailand appears to have the same rate or less than many of the countries from which it gets tourists. And, surprise, surprise, the poor and middle-class outnumber the rich.

Of course if the man at Suvarnabhumi had his savings and income in Euros he may have seen the exchange rate and calculated what superior first world economics had done to his retirement plans.

BwsDxshIYAA2tji.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

The jumper never contemplated what kind of trauma onlookers will have for many years to come. Why do they have to do their selfish act in such a public place? I know they probably have lost the will to live through extremely sad circumstances, but the majority of us have chosen to die of natural causes many years from now.

Totally agree - especially any family with young kids witnessing this. Selfish

• Like 2

Thankfully he didn't kill anyone else by landing on them.

Maybe you should strongly consider changing your TV name to.....are you ready?

PRAGMATIC... Ta Da!

Perhaps more suitable for you would be " Get Real"

I thought that these bridges had anti suicide jump barriers installed for the reason that there are so many jumpers.

• Like 1

And, surprise, surprise, the poor and middle-class outnumber the rich.

Are you kidding? Depending on definitions, the upper class represent 1 - 10% of the population, considering they account for 24.5% of suicides, they are greatly overrepresented in your suicide statistics.

Who knows why a person choices suicide?

The only person who knows the answer is dead

Why anyone resorts to this is beyond me, they must be suffering some serious brain trauma.

So very sad for family friends left behind.

R.I.P. young man you were to young to die. Hope you find peace in where ever you have gone.

• Like 1

If you observe a man you suspect is about to take a dive I recommend you use the following sentence

"If you are going to jump, can I have your watch?"

Even if it doesn't stop them from jumping, you could end up with a nice timepiece.

For young ladies, asking for sexual intercourse can work just as well. If you get a negative response, telling them you'll wait at the bottom usually acts as a deterrent.

While that may seem frivolous or uncaring, distracting a would-be suicide's thoughts away from that path is a good idea, as is engaging emotions like disgust or anger.

• Like 2

Jean Paul Sarte wrote about such a thing. What he stated is that, when people look over some point and a great height, the become afraid of the distane and the fear of how far down that is. However, he stated that this is the "common notion" so to speak. What HE pointed out was that it it not the fear of the height but of the impulse for one to actually jump into that abyss. I think that he had it right!

• Like 2

Considering the time of the day, there is a huge risk that e.g. kids have seen this traumatizing event.

RIP to the guy, but why didn't he just popped pills and alcohol in the hotel room.

Also, choosing this method offers a chance, however slim, of survival and life as a paraplegic and/or agonizing pain.

• Like 1

Not trying to make light of this but.....what ever happened to people offing themselves the old fashioned way? Inside a garage with a running car. Pills. Why do so many join the Thailand Diving team instead?

• Like 1

There are prayer rooms, Info Desks and such things at airports. How about a 'Counseling Room' for distraught people? It may not help all troubled folks, but perhaps a few.

Also, I agree that, the method used for a suicide, can traumatize others. What if some kids were walking along, on the pavement below and saw or were hit by the jumper? Come on guys. If you're going to pull the plug, that's sad, but don't traumatize others in the process.

• Like 1

This is very sad. I don't know if this frequent jumping habit speaks more of Thailand or Western counties.

... or an inherent incompatibility between the two.

Gut wrenching irreconcilable cultural differences and misunderstandings.

I am deeply saddened by this story.

"There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Very sad when people do this. How desperate must someone be to end it all like this?

And 3 to 4 a year from the same spot? Maybe the need higher railings or box them in.

A useless expense, they will find another spot to jump from.

he was alerted of the jump right after it happened and informed the Samitivej Hospital to rush an emergency medical team to the scene

Doesn't bode well for travelers that there is apparently no emergency medical team available at the this supposed international hub of aviation. :ermm:

What's the response time from Samitivej to the airport?

Let me go one step further. They obviously have to have an emergency team there, just in case there's an issue with a potential aircraft mishap. With this being the case, there's no onsite emergency crew, paramedic at least, that could have been called in instead of calling in someone from the city. That's seriously F'd up. What Intl airport that is one of the major hubs in Asia that cannot accommodate this. Edited by Friendly Stranger

Very sad when people do this. How desperate must someone be to end it all like this?

And 3 to 4 a year from the same spot? Maybe the need higher railings or box them in.

Yes very sad indeed, but higher railings to 'box them in' is a bit OTT.

What next a sign there saying 'please don't suicide here'

It's not as if there aren't enough high hotels or other places in Bangkok.

I suspect there is nothing rational about human behaviour in some instances, eg. what makes a person want leave a good environment to join those islamic terrorists and fight, with the certainty of an unhealthy ending.

There is nothing logical or rational in a persons thinking that compels them to take such action, in my opinion, and I suspect analysis is futile.