Safest parts of Pattaya and Jomtien for Family

Jeff1234

Hi,

I would like to visit Pattaya or Jomtien with my family. Can someone tell me the safest parts of Pattaya and Jomtien for families? Close to the beach, but it doesn't have to be on the beach. Any information would be appreciated.

I would like to avoid drug trafficking, prostitution, robbery, and live in a quite community.

I think you should stay away from Pattaya and consider Jomtien and Naklua/Wong Amat. Though even in those places you may have problems with street robbery if you wander around the streets looking like a lost tourist and carrying an interesting bag.

As for noise, you can get that absolutely anywhere in Thailand. It's a very noisy place.

Prostitution is unlikely to be a problem for you, as mentioned, nor drug-trafficking.

No matter what some residents may think, a large number of families do come to the Pattaya area for their holidays and they seem to get on OK.

• Like 2

I would like to avoid drug trafficking, prostitution, robbery, and live in a quite community.

OP: You are coming with your family - so I guess that includes younger kids and you will not be out late night, right? Then I say that all the risks you mentioned should not be an issue for you anywhere in Pattaya (or rather not more than in any bigger city worldwide). In all my years in Pattaya, I have never had any issue with drug, prostitution or robbery following standard traveller security like NOT showing cash / wearing gold necklace etc.

For quiet, as others have mentioned, go to Jomtien and I would even say, go to Jomtien in the Soi 9-13 area or then Naklua / Wong Amat. "Community" seems to imply that you are looking for a house and not hotel? House and near beach will be difficult to find...

Has anyone ever been up high in a condo or hotel on Jomtien Beach? Because if you had there is a good chance you would never set foot in the water there. As every so often is a street sewer runoff pipe and they burble black sludge water from the town.......in the difuses and heads back to the beach....It is horrific. I seem to recall tgere are about a dozen of them and its worse after a rain.......

• Like 1

Has anyone ever been up high in a condo or hotel on Jomtien Beach? Because if you had there is a good chance you would never set foot in the water there. As every so often is a street sewer runoff pipe and they burble black sludge water from the town.......in the difuses and heads back to the beach....It is horrific. I seem to recall tgere are about a dozen of them and its worse after a rain.......

Agreed this was the case some time back. However it has improved considerably since mid 2014 or at least from Soi 7 onwards towards Ban Saray. I live here in Jomtien and had stayed away from the beach for some years until lately. The military authority have cleaned up the beach quite considerably, and on a Wednesday when the beach chairs are missing it can be hard to believe that you are still in Jomtien when you can walk along the clean beach and in the turquoise water, quite lovely infect. I hope they can continue to improve the conditions and don't revert to its past state.

Just drive down 20 mins to Hat Sai Kheo or Hat Nang Ram - I wouldn't ever bathe in the waters near Pattaya.

And I agree with other posters, if you want to avoid prostitution (not that prostitution is a safety problem), you should stay away from Pattaya.

Edited by manarak

Yes as said Pattaya are safe enough, never had any problems but don't stagger drunk around late (or early for that matter).

Live here myself with a family as 1000's of other expats does, good schools, hospitals and so on.

Yes the beach is better out in Jomtien, wider and more quiet.

• Like 1

We like to think all of Pattaya is "quite" a community and reasonably "quiet" away from the bars.

Assuming you don't take the wife and kids out bar hopping at night there's not much chance you'll be forced into prostitution and whatever drug trafficking that goes on, like in any country, is going to be out of sight and as likely to go on in leafy upper class suburbs as anywhere.

Walking Street and the gogo bars on the sois running from the beach to Sai Song and parts of Sai Sam should be avoided late at night ... in other words the drinking places & touristy places... again just like any city.

Most of Pattaya is quite safe. The majority of people who get themselves in trouble are out getting plastered in a bar or wandering around inebriated in the early hours. If you're looking to buy/rent a condo or house for long term stay, you'd need to specify price ranges. If you want a condo near the beach, you really need to look around to see what suits your needs.

Despite what the Pattaya bashers (who paradoxically "know" all about Pattaya but claim they would never come here) say, it is a fairly safe, pleasant place to live. I've stayed here around 15 years and no one has tried to traffic any drugs to me or knocked on my door offering a quickie.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Agree with other posters on here. I brought my early/mid teens here a few years ago, they had a great time. Stayed in Naklua and then later at the Mercure, which I guess could be classed as down town Pattaya. Never had any trouble with any of your concerns. Only problem was the katoeys taking a shine to my (then) teenage son, all done with good humour.

Jomtien (where I have lived for a few years now) would possibly offer a more family holiday, if the priority is the beach.

Just be aware of your surroundings, as you would on holiday in any large metropolis.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

The OP underestimates his own kids and is a parent perceiving what his children will see and think....WRONG. Young children are far more resilient and capable than most people imagine and will probably not even notice prostitutes etc. I certainly would know what a drug pusher looks like as a well travelled adult. Don't wrap the children in cotton wool, they'll have a great time, unless you, the parent is over protective. Otherwise, leave the kids at home and go there by yourself. You know you would love to anyway!

The OP underestimates his own kids and is a parent perceiving what his children will see and think....WRONG. Young children are far more resilient and capable than most people imagine and will probably not even notice prostitutes etc. I certainly would know what a drug pusher looks like as a well travelled adult. Don't wrap the children in cotton wool, they'll have a great time, unless you, the parent is over protective. Otherwise, leave the kids at home and go there by yourself. You know you would love to anyway!

Correction. "...certainly NOT know what a drug pusher......

Centara Pattaya with the lost world water park is good but very expensive. Food is reasonably priced and an excellent seafood restaurant about 200m. Sea is highly polluted. Stay in the pool.

I think the safest place for a family is just to find a nice condo complex with swimming pool, jacuzzi and restaurants, all in one place, spend your vacation there and forget abut the rest of Pattaya.

Consider the Dongtan Beach-part of Jomtien Beach. Stay in Avalon Resort, Welcome World Resort (expensive hotels), or View Talay 5 or 7, or Grand Condotel (there you can rent studio's and apartments that are privately rented out - so cheaper, especially monthly rates)...google for other places.
All the places just mentioned, are right at the beach and all have large swimming pools.
View Talay 5 and 7 got several real estate agents in the building: google and easy to find one to book a studio or apartment. Be early for the months December and January: peak season.

NO TRAFFIC there: PROMENADE during daytime, just a few motorobikes/cars in the evening, because it is a dead end boulevard !
Just 1-2 minutes walk to Jomtien Beach, with restaurants, baht-buses.

Dongtan Beach offers the widest and cleanest beach...and no Thai families with loud music from giant car speakers (because cars are not allowed, only at the parking place at the first 80m of Dongtan Beach).

Google for pictures of Dongtan Beach.

I live here myself and if I would invite my brother and wife with young kids: this is the place that I would advice them.
One disadvantage might be that on the beach you will see some gay couples....

Edited by Kees5555

I've been coming and using pattaya as a base for over 20 years , and have finally moved perminantly , I can honestly say I have never seen a mugging , been mugged , only once been offered drugs walking down walking street about 6-7 years back . I once saw a major argument between two ladies of the night about 5 years ago , And that's it .

I have have two daughters and I have no problem with them visiting .. But I would say the beach at pattaya and jontiem are both pretty crappy ,but both look like they have been cleaned up somewhat this year plus they are still better brighton beach in the uk ..

I agree that Jomtien is probably best for a family. You might try Lumpini Park Beach Condo on the southern end of Jomtien Beach Road. It is a large complex but a lot of the condos are owned by Bangkok owners and they rarely visit. Very clean and well-run. The two huge swimming pools--one right across the street from the ocean--are not busy at all--especially during the week. There is a sky lounge, gym, sauna, playground, basketball practice court, library, and bike rentals available. Lots of restaurants on Beach Road. Floating swimming barriers have just been installed on the ocean so your children should be safer if they go swimming in the ocean. Baht taxis are available on Jomtien Beach Road to take you into Pattaya and back. Most of the condos are 1 bedrooms but the rental desk at the juristic office has some larger condos for rent.

OP: You are coming with your family - so I guess that includes younger kids and you will not be out late night, right? Then I say that all the risks you mentioned should not be an issue for you anywhere in Pattaya (or rather not more than in any bigger city worldwide). In all my years in Pattaya, I have never had any issue with drug, prostitution or robbery following standard traveller security like NOT showing cash / wearing gold necklace etc.

For quiet, as others have mentioned, go to Jomtien and I would even say, go to Jomtien in the Soi 9-13 area or then Naklua / Wong Amat. "Community" seems to imply that you are looking for a house and not hotel? House and near beach will be difficult to find...

someone who never seen drugs, robbery, prostitution have never been in Pattaya !!!!

Dont go Pattaya,

I have been once with my family, 2 kids in Pattaya, never again,

we always go to Jomtien,

and indent to buy a Condo even more south to Bang saray;

Jomtien ok !!

How old are the kids?

We had a family come to stay at our house in Jomtien- had a brilliant time- lots of things to do, Art in Paradise, if they are young Teddy Bear Museum, water park ( it's very expensive) Tiffany etc, go- karting is good. Day out snorkeling- very reasonable.

Trip out to the open zoo- great day.

Nong Nooch , Wat Yarn.

Avoid the tiger zoo , dreadful place.

As other advise I would stick to the pool, or perhaps go swimming at the islands, you do heard of eye/ ear infections which can be miserable for children.

Cinemas, ten pin bowling is good. Ripley's at Royal Garden.

Loads of restaurants- such as Hard Rock if you want Western food, go to Cabbages & Condoms if you want somewhere very pretty and the rabbits there are fun for kids.

The place is safe, certainly a lot safer than inner city areas in most major cities.

I can't imagine you are going to be wandering around at 4 in the morning in some dodgy part of town, take no notice of the Pattaya bashing brigade who think they are holier than thou because they live in the back of beyond achieving enlightenment by watching rice grow.

20 years of going to and living in Pattaya (bringing up a Thai family + visiting UK kids) and I still have no idea what a typical drug pusher looks like ......maybe if I shaved the beard?

Perhaps if I tried Watsons or even Boots I might get lucky, do you smoke them, or just get high on the polish?

Although I must admit to very, very occasionally in the distant past having to put-one on the odd drunk trying to touch up my wife at 3AM in the morning @walking street.............maybe if I left her at home?

Jontiem beach and even Pattaya beach (since it was cleaned up and the outlet pipes moved much further out to sea some years ago - making it cleaner than many UK beaches) is fine for the kids. I am sure that your kids will have no idea what a prostitute is and anyway the girls/katoyes will only smile nicely at your kids if they happen to walk past them.

If your kids are old enough to know about drugs, you should have made sure they are well aware or the perils and are (as much as is possible in this world) aware to leave them alone.

Have a good time.

Consider the Dongtan Beach-part of Jomtien Beach. Stay in Avalon Resort, Welcome World Resort (expensive hotels), or View Talay 5 or 7, or Grand Condotel (there you can rent studio's and apartments that are privately rented out - so cheaper, especially monthly rates)...google for other places.

All the places just mentioned, are right at the beach and all have large swimming pools.

View Talay 5 and 7 got several real estate agents in the building: google and easy to find one to book a studio or apartment. Be early for the months December and January: peak season.

NO TRAFFIC there: PROMENADE during daytime, just a few motorobikes/cars in the evening, because it is a dead end boulevard !

Just 1-2 minutes walk to Jomtien Beach, with restaurants, baht-buses.

Dongtan Beach offers the widest and cleanest beach...and no Thai families with loud music from giant car speakers (because cars are not allowed, only at the parking place at the first 80m of Dongtan Beach).

Google for pictures of Dongtan Beach.

I live here myself and if I would invite my brother and wife with young kids: this is the place that I would advice them.

One disadvantage might be that on the beach you will see some gay couples....

Oh No , not some gay couples- better avoid Dongtan beach altogether then?