US must not impose its idea of democracy: PM

Lite Beer

100 millon on food stamps.....democracy? i think not.

1% controlling 65% of the wealth....not democratic per se

of course we are a republic....but that isn't even up for debate

nobody practices the ideal form of democracy.....like nobody practices the ideal form of communism

bottom line: Best country? USA. Do I really like a lot of other countries? Of course. Many are fantastic.

But I don't drink the kool-aid in any of them.....how could you not have a hidden agenda? it's good protectionism.

OK, sure, CIA maybe in Hondurus, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Indonesia, and I'm sure a billion others....

IF you work for the CIA or another branch of government and you want to keep working, you make up reasons to keep working.....and if it cost lives, well, i guess people still sleep at night.

Oh look, communism.....ok, let's devise this plan......and then the plan goes into effect.

i get it....and i get that they don't want to just wait to see what happens (communism spreads and maybe countries get together and attack USA). Is it perfect? Of course not.....but i think it will continue to happen. and happen, and happen.....once again, protecting their jobs, government, and maybe make some cash.....and hopefully protecting the citizens of USA

Edited by puukao

"Please tell the United States" -- I guess his 100,00 baht microphone and cellphone are not working.I

It all makes me think of the military tyrant Ghadaffi saying "The US has no right to criticize me."

Edited by FangFerang

The PM is right when he says "Today, we have relations with many nations. I ask all countries not to be angry at Thailand simply because of me. If there's any inconvenience today, I will clear it up.

The sooner he is replaced the better for everyone.

And after he has been replaced, this country knows who are friends and who are best just kept being an acquaintance.

Anybody who still believes that there is such a thing as democracy in the US or other similar countries is very deluded.

In theory the form of a democracy looks good on paper. The pecking order of things thrive in a democracy type of system in place

No matter what form of government there is, the rich will always be on the top of things. But to enjoy the freedom of speech, the press, the freedom of movement, religion, all of those things, can only be found in a semi-democratic state. Much better than any other form of government.

Sure there will be corruption, all governments have that. But the United States and all other nations denying s visit by the PM is down unjust.

Who are we to judge what other countries do? Is he a world Threat to national security? No. Does he harbor ISIS terrorist ? No Has he put sanctions on trade with other countries? No. Does he allow free travel of Thai citizens out of the country?Yes. He has done nothing wrong towards any other country. I can find much worst countries in the Middle East that have violated human rights.

• Like 2

THE UNITED STATES should not try to impose a one-size-fits-all democracy on the rest of the world, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

The USA is doing no such thing wrt Thailand, so yet another strawman argument and another attempt to make outsiders the boogyeman from the unelected 'PM'.

Martial law for 10 months, .... suspension of basic human rights... the General finds time to even let the word "democracy" cross his lips under these circumstances??? whistling.gif

My basic rights are not violated, I eat and crap every day. I go anywhere I need to go, buy anything I need. I am free to leave Thailand and return because I follow the immigration law.

The US is not and never has been a Democracy and it has the best "Politicians money can buy and welfare recipients, liberals and immoral characters can vote for.

Dear General/PM keep flushing until the water is clear !!

Your forgetting one simple thing, your NOT a Thai and therefore your post is very moot.

The PM is right when he says "Today, we have relations with many nations. I ask all countries not to be angry at Thailand simply because of me. If there's any inconvenience today, I will clear it up.

Who do you suggest replaces him then?

Which politicians in Thailand are honest and bold enough to take on the establishment?

THE UNITED STATES should not try to impose a one-size-fits-all democracy on the rest of the world, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

The USA is doing no such thing wrt Thailand, so yet another strawman argument and another attempt to make outsiders the boogyeman from the unelected 'PM'.

Martial law for 10 months, .... suspension of basic human rights... the General finds time to even let the word "democracy" cross his lips under these circumstances??? whistling.gif

My basic rights are not violated, I eat and crap every day. I go anywhere I need to go, buy anything I need. I am free to leave Thailand and return because I follow the immigration law.

The US is not and never has been a Democracy and it has the best "Politicians money can buy and welfare recipients, liberals and immoral characters can vote for.

Your forgetting one simple thing, your NOT a Thai and therefore your post is very moot.

YOU are also forgetting that most Thais can do exactly the same thing as gchurch259 AND his family. The same applies to me, my family, our Thai friends and almost everybody in Thailand.

What was that saying about the majority rules?

So how is a Thai persecuted more than me ? can't vote, big deal, once every 4 years you get to vote in a new cheat, can't demonstrate, most people are struggling to earn a living to take part in the thumping, did i miss something ?

Whilst not directly involving Thailand it does involve the USA and its ideas.

From the BBC news website this morning.

UK support for China-backed Asia bank prompts US concern

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-31864877

The US has expressed concern over the UK's bid to become a founding member of a Chinese-backed development bank.

The UK is the first big Western economy to apply for membership of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).

The US has raised questions over the bank's commitment to international standards on governance.

"There will be times when we take a different approach," a spokesperson for Prime Minister David Cameron said about the rare rebuke from the US.

The US can't seem to keep out of other countries business.

• Like 1

That's alright then, as long as you're O.K...

Anybody who still believes that there is such a thing as democracy in the US or other similar countries is very deluded.

Yu'p Thailand is different, and so is the EU and UK, NZ, AU, and Timbuktu is different as is every other country out there, so quite right, one size dose not fit all.

Now for the kicker, basic rights and freedoms that should come with any attempted legitimizing of a democracy, otherwise your just taking the p*ss.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so my opinion's have not one ounce of weight in the current situation, nor it's past or future, and a mature government would see that, UNLIKE some people here that openly call here on TV for the searching, detention and deportation from the country of some people as they don't agree with their views, and when called out on it try's to spin it instead of backing it up and the MODS need to do something about that, ie rules, ( not criticizing, just a suggestion)

Most of us are individuals, (people of the world) we have our own opinions and moral values, we set our own standards just as different countries do, Thailand is a sovereign nation and sets it own standards.

As for linking aid and politics, in this case the US has it's own laws it must follow and that of aid to a country under a military coup's weather the government like it or not.

alex88, " Anybody who still believes that there is such a thing as democracy in the US or other similar countries is very deluded".

Please , tell me why Australia is not a democracy?

The EU is not a country and neither is Timbuktu.

Ignoring the incomprehensible rant in the middle, as far as Australia being a democracy - go and ask the Aboriginal people how they feel about that one.

You're unbelievable at times, what about asking the Native Americans how they feel as well seeing as you love to make absurd comparisons, and seeing this is all about Thailand and the Thais, why don't you it up to them?

Just to add, you're life must be pretty dull in Thailand as all you seem to do is complain about everything that isn't on parr with Western values too.

Pot calling kettle? A guy who one minute says all should be entitled to voice their opinions, but then posts you give up that right when you leave your own country! You seem to have problems with people expressing opinions or discussions outside the box. I could suggest why, but that would be impolite.

Aussieinthailand asked a question and I answered him. Fine if you don't like or agree with the answer. F/All to do with you whether someone has the right to answer or not though, as this is a public forum. Try reading a bit more, you might find Aboriginal people and Australian democracy topical again at the moment.

I've made similar comments about native Americans on other threads. Native Americans, Australians, Canadians were all treated in very undemocratic ways by governments usually made up of those claiming to be democratic.

If you try to understand the analogy, then perhaps you'll grasp the point that many so called champion countries of democracy only actually support democracy when it suits and don't always apply their version of democracy to all equally. Very similar to the Shin idea of democracy - some are more equal than others.

If you think all my posts complain about Thailand and Asia and extol the virtues of Western values, then you really do have comprehension problems. The point here is that Western values are full of hypocrisy.

Nope - my life's great here - lot's of family, friends, intellectual and physical activities.

I guess must seem dull to you though on your breaks from Iraq,

How many of the countries you decry and denounce about democracy have you actually lived in scorecard? I mean you must've lived in the States, Singapore, Malaysia for some period of time to have felt their versions of democracy just were not suitable for you?

Or are you basing your posts on hearsay and articles that clearly only suit your agenda?

Would it be too much to ask where you're originally from, and why you left and what would be a suitable form of democracy for you never mind what's suitable for the rest of the world ? as you clearly don't give them much credibility Nor respect their rights to vote, or their ability to vote?

You've posted many threads on this topic. Have a read through them all sequentially without a break - do you see the underlying irony?

Who do you suggest replaces him then?

Which politicians in Thailand are honest and bold enough to take on the establishment?

Chalerm?

So how is a Thai persecuted more than me ? can't vote, big deal, once every 4 years you get to vote in a new cheat, can't demonstrate, most people are struggling to earn a living to take part in the thumping, did i miss something ?

You answered your own question ? it's funny how most people were struggling to earn a living post coup demonstrations too.

And you seriously don't think or Thais are under the control of the junta more than the farangs based here? That's quite a bold assessment to make considering many are complaining and many have been taken for attitude adjustments, how many farangs have had the honour of being "invited " for a pep talk that's not to be refused?

How many of the countries you decry and denounce about democracy have you actually lived in scorecard? I mean you must've lived in the States, Singapore, Malaysia for some period of time to have felt their versions of democracy just were not suitable for you?

Or are you basing your posts on hearsay and articles that clearly only suit your agenda?

Would it be too much to ask where you're originally from, and why you left and what would be a suitable form of democracy for you never mind what's suitable for the rest of the world ? as you clearly don't give them much credibility Nor respect their rights to vote, or their ability to vote?

You've posted many threads on this topic. Have a read through them all sequentially without a break - do you see the underlying irony?

I don't believe I've ever criticised any other countries democracies, but many here have, I have been highly critical of those people who lambast various democracies and yet to truly get s feel for what a population feels about their country wouldn't you agree that being there in person is probably the best way to gauge how those democracies work or don't work for their people?

I didn't know the US was actually "IMPOSING" it's ideas on Thailand. I thought they were just giving an opinion. I'm not American before you jump on me and love a good American bash but can't here.

Sounds like the leader has lost the plot. Crying in the corner after smashing all his toys. Mum America said I should stop being mean to my people and free them and they won't let me go to thier house. Why oh why doesn't the world love me, I command my people and they adore me, I try to command the world and they laugh at me, it's just not fair mummy. Please make them adore me like thai people do.

• Like 1

@Fathaggis, Farmers have always struggled to make a decent living, before and after the coup, as for foreigners being invited for a chat, well we don't protest,it's nothing to do with us and if a farang does interfere in the politics of his host country then he deserves all that he gets.

• Like 1

For those who are asking how the US or Australia are not real democracies. Both countries have two main parties that differ only on populist domestic issues. No matter who you vote for they all work for the same corrupt banking oligarchs, they all support Zionism (regardless of your position on that issue you can't fail to see the support is one sided), they all cooperate in genocidal wars for profit, they all use fear campaigns such as 'terrorism' and use the media to influence people. How can you have a democracy when voting for either side is a vote for the same agenda. The difference between the two parties in these countries is simply marketing.

• Like 1

Exactly.Nobody has argued that democracy should not be adapted to suit local conditions and culture.That is why democratic systems in say Japan, the US, India and the UK are all distinctly different.

But there are also basic democratic values which recognise power lies with the people, recognises the rights of minorities and an independent legal system above politics.It is these universal values that are treated with contempt in Thailand.

In theory yes, but does this "really" exist? I think it doesn't; power lies in the hands of a few, wealthy, influential and elite families and businesses/concerns. In Thailand as well as in the "democratic" West.
  • Like 2

Exactly.Nobody has argued that democracy should not be adapted to suit local conditions and culture.That is why democratic systems in say Japan, the US, India and the UK are all distinctly different.

But there are also basic democratic values which recognise power lies with the people, recognises the rights of minorities and an independent legal system above politics.It is these universal values that are treated with contempt in Thailand.

In theory yes, but does this "really" exist? I think it doesn't; power lies in the hands of a few, wealthy, influential and elite families and businesses/concerns. In Thailand as well as in the "democratic" West.

Not much different from the democracy in Hong Kong as given by China. You can have your election, but the candidates are preselected...

There, election = democracy

More pretense and rubbish from the General. The US has no reason to invite him to visit. He is attempting, once again, to use a red herring to deflect attention from his failed policies and lack of credible mandate to lead. This is a deeply superstitious man who has no grasp of history or statesmanship. He would be better off not addressing the public, than to put his foot in his mouth so frequently. His equating of distrust in his junta with distrust in Thai people in general is disingenuous at best. Thailand deserves better than what this man has to offer. He's not a patriot, he's a zealot.

I agree - he is simply an army representative that seized power and now likes to play Statesman .

For those who are asking how the US or Australia are not real democracies. Both countries have two main parties that differ only on populist domestic issues. No matter who you vote for they all work for the same corrupt banking oligarchs, they all support Zionism (regardless of your position on that issue you can't fail to see the support is one sided), they all cooperate in genocidal wars for profit, they all use fear campaigns such as 'terrorism' and use the media to influence people. How can you have a democracy when voting for either side is a vote for the same agenda. The difference between the two parties in these countries is simply marketing.

I'd take the choice between two flawed alternatives over NO CHOICE AT ALL any given day!

• Like 1

I'd take the choice between two flawed alternatives over NO CHOICE AT ALL any given day!

Convince the Hong Kong Umbrella Movement...

• Like 1

@Fathaggis, Farmers have always struggled to make a decent living, before and after the coup, as for foreigners being invited for a chat, well we don't protest,it's nothing to do with us and if a farang does interfere in the politics of his host country then he deserves all that he gets.

That's my whole point mate, I wonder how the expats felt when the Islamic immigrants and the Eastern europeans started griping about their sponsor country?

That's my whole point mate, I wonder how the expats felt when the Islamic immigrants and the Eastern europeans started griping about their sponsor country?

Yes, in a way not all Thainess is bad, farangland could copy some of it. We,ie. our governments, are far too liberal,anyone can come to Europe and stir the sh*t and get away with it, not in Thailand. This is a bit off topic i suppose.

I don't think America is imposing it's ideas of democracy on to Thailand, America has the right to say openly what it doesn't like and Thailand has the right to disagree and ignore it but they also have to take the consequences like an adult,if America say's we don't like your system of government and so we aren't going to allow reduced import duties anymore that is their right as long as they don't start to stir up political problems in a sovereign state as they often have done in the past.

• Like 2