Ford Everest - All New 2015

Barontt

Ah, didn't know the Aussie swb are not coil sprung

The standard cab 4x4 segment is heating up, heard they are popular down south in the rubber plantation, Mitsubishi had this for a long time, Toyota's getting in on the acton maybe ford is testing waters with the shorty, the middle of last year they had a road show when the minorchanged ranger came out and the swb feature prominently, they had it in a price list and everything.... but even if they think they are going to sell to rubber farmers, leaf sprung/drum brakes would have been better...

The shortie with Everest running gear seem to be only good as a weekend toy for 4x4 enthusiast.... still getting all the performance (and perhaps a little more due to reduced weight) of the 1.7+mil top of the range Everest for almost 1million discount is quite a bargain if it wont be your only car in the household. The trim plastic in the shorty is really bad, plus the hand wound windows, and the noise is really loud, especially with those tires... but for a million baht discount compared to the Everest... I can live with that

The previous generation ranger in Thailand did have a 4x4 shortie model with aluminium tray too, some dealers were offering to convert the aluminium tray back into a normal pickup for a handsome profit, as the standard tray is around 3-40,000 baht painted and the aluminium one could be resold up to 100,000, heck even the aluminium roller shutter for the wildtrack cost something like that already

Getting a standard pickup tray instead of the flat bed and a carry-boy canopy put in and you'd have quite a sleeper, looking like a fairly standard Thai company car but with top of the range engine/transmission inside

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about the homologating ppv program with the exact same chassis too, but that's what I heard, hence 'urban legend'

It does explain why the previous generation Everest's wheelbase was so long though, but the first generation Fortuner got by without an equivalent pickup... supporter of this theory said that a few was made and not sold to general public...

The legal definition for a 'pickup' in Thailand seem to specify leaf sprung only,

the shorty I saw got a black plate for 'cars' instead of the usual green lettered plate if it were normal standard cab pickup, next time I saw a shorty owner I'd be sure to ask him how much his annual road tax is

Getting a standard pickup tray instead of the flat bed and a carry-boy canopy put in and you'd have quite a sleeper, looking like a fairly standard Thai company car but with top of the range engine/transmission inside

The standard single cab side style tub and carryboy would not fit the short wheelbase so that would take some pretty serious cutting and shutting.

The open cab tub may be closer depending on the back of cab - rear axle dimension compared to that of the shorty.

The standard single cab side style tub and carryboy would not fit the short wheelbase so that would take some pretty serious cutting and shutting.

The open cab tub may be closer depending on the back of cab - rear axle dimension compared to that of the shorty.

You're right

The standard cab tub looks to be a tight fit

standard cab wheelbase is 1590mm while the 3.2swb is 1560, that's a whole foot,

still, it's a cheap way to have a poor man's version of the everest

2153288xre98j5z2ehot3y.jpg

You're right

The standard cab tub looks to be a tight fit

standard cab wheelbase is 1590mm while the 3.2swb is 1560, that's a whole foot,

still, it's a cheap way to have a poor man's version of the everest

2153288xre98j5z2ehot3y.jpg

The bigger problem is the position of the wheel well in the tub ;)

Ah, didn't know the Aussie swb are not coil sprung

I just checked - all Aussie versions have a 3220mm wheelbase - no SWB version available.

The SWB numbers referenced previously are not correct are they?

I'm not sure which numbers you are referring to, all I'm saying is AU doesn't get the SWB with Everest chassis - only Thailand does. All AU variants have a 3,220mm wheelbase - the Thai SWB versions have a 2,850mm wheelbase.

Oh, I've translated the Thai brochure wrong, the figure I had was the track, it said wheel to wheel in Thai, hence my confusion...

Yes, the wheelbase for swb with Everest chassis is 2850, the normal standard cab is 3220, same as the Aussie ones

Oh, I've translated the Thai brochure wrong, the figure I had was the track, it said wheel to wheel in Thai, hence my confusion...

Yes, the wheelbase for swb with Everest chassis is 2850, the normal standard cab is 3220, same as the Aussie ones

The 30mm = a foot was something of a tip-off...

It is my understanding these shorty Rangers exist solely because of tax stuff for the Everest and that only 500 were built.

I've heard only 40 was delivered last year, but some are saying more will be made later this year once Everest's demand subsided a little,

It's still on the website afterall, if they only need to make a few to satisfy tax requirement they could have done in quietly like Toyota or Mitsubishi... and the first allotment were all sold, so there's a demand for a 4WD toy at this price

After asking around many dealers I've finally found one willing to take a deposit yesterday, they say there's no price increase from last year.... cautious... I've heard story of guy who missed the delivery (orders were taken around July and most delivery came around October) last year yet the dealer strung him along til December and he ended up cancelling that order... I'm not too confident about placing deposit down for a 'mythical' car that may or may not arrive... the dealer might want to string me along for couple of months and after exaggerating me, ask to switch to something else...

Sorry to be a threadjack, to get back on topic saw that there's a lower-specced Everest coming, looks like the Indonesian model with no running boards, very low-frill interior.... the round tube of the Watt's link looks odd without the running board/ladder to hide it

It is my understanding these shorty Rangers exist solely because of tax stuff for the Everest and that only 500 were built.

I've heard only 40 was delivered last year, but some are saying more will be made later this year once Everest's demand subsided a little,

It's still on the website afterall, if they only need to make a few to satisfy tax requirement they could have done in quietly like Toyota or Mitsubishi... and the first allotment were all sold, so there's a demand for a 4WD toy at this price

After asking around many dealers I've finally found one willing to take a deposit yesterday, they say there's no price increase from last year.... cautious... I've heard story of guy who missed the delivery (orders were taken around July and most delivery came around October) last year yet the dealer strung him along til December and he ended up cancelling that order... I'm not too confident about placing deposit down for a 'mythical' car that may or may not arrive... the dealer might want to string me along for couple of months and after exaggerating me, ask to switch to something else...

Sorry to be a threadjack, to get back on topic saw that there's a lower-specced Everest coming, looks like the Indonesian model with no running boards, very low-frill interior.... the round tube of the Watt's link looks odd without the running board/ladder to hide it

Right, there have been rumors of a ~1.1M Baht variant for a few months now.. but let's see. From the Thai language forums I visit, what everyone wants is a 2.2L Titanium+ RWD though wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Some rumor seem to indicate the new lower-end model targeting fleet sale...

There can't be that many companies that is willing to deal with (apparent/perceived) Ford's poor service and resale value

I seriously doubt there's any credence in Ford TH (or anywhere else in ASEAN for that matter) going after fleet sales - their business model and product range is clearly targeting higher profit private sales.

Edited by IMHO

So finally the 'lucky' car number was released by the Land Transport Office. So all the family cars and phones now have 'lucky numbers' Just need Mrs Jas to buy a lotto ticket and ....

This is what it cost to register the car for the first time, we had the paperwork some time but were waiting for Nonthaburi to register a few more cars ... Have to admit that we had to pay one fine of 200thb ... forgot to complete the number plate book one day whilst up North ... passed through two police checks okay but third check point stopped us and asked to see the book ... woops ....

Reading down the list

Paperwork 5thb

Check the car 50thb

Annual Road Tax 7692thb ... stays at this rate for 5 years

Number Plates 200thb

Blue Book 50thb

post-17329-0-40433400-1455877690_thumb.j

The Ford Everest has won the inaugural 2015 Thailand Car of the Year award, organised by the Thai Automotive Journalists Association.

Big article in the BP today with the CEO Vicki smiling ear-to-ear.

Edited by seedy
font

The Ford Everest has won the inaugural 2015 Thailand Car of the Year award, organised by the Thai Automotive Journalists Association.

Just beat the runner up (Pajero Sport) by a couple of points... with some of the votes not counted due to spoiled ballot

They're both equally good cars.... if you can deal with the service

Just beat the runner up (Pajero Sport) by a couple of points... with some of the votes not counted due to spoiled ballot

They're both equally good cars.... if you can deal with the service

They're both good cars - yes - but not equally good. The PJS claws back a lot of points/votes due to it's almost 300,000 Baht lower price - as a value for money buy it's hard to overlook, but the Everest does a lot more things much better, for it's extra 300K.

In any case, it's comforting that the outcome of the awards matches what most of the posters here who drive a lot of cars were already saying :)

Edited by IMHO

Just driving down the 4 in Pranburi and I saw this in an empty and closed Ford dealership. I hope it helps you get one.. If I had more available income I would try and buy it myself!

post-195835-14560416185908_thumb.jpg

post-195835-14560416409459_thumb.jpg

post-195835-14560416583239_thumb.jpg