Motorbike Driver killed by suspected drunk driver in Central Pattaya road crash

webfact

Motorbike Driver killed by suspected drunk driver in Central Pattaya road crash

crash-23.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 28 year old motorbike driver was killed after he was struck by a pick-up truck, whose driver is suspected of being heavily intoxicated, and then dragged along the road for 100 meters by a Pattaya Meter Taxi which was following behind and could not avoid striking the fallen bike driver.

Police and medics rushed to the scene of the crash on the Sukhumvit Road close to the Boonthavorn store in Central Pattaya at 5am on Saturday. Medics were administering CPR to the bike driver, Khun Wittawat, but he could not be saved after he suffered a suspected broken neck and severe blood loss at the scene.

Further up the road was the badly damaged pick-up truck, which had sustained major front-end damage after it struck a metal barrier along the central reservation. Its driver, Khun Samapong aged 23, was pulled from the vehicle by Police and unceremoniously handcuffed to a street pylon before he was later transported to Pattaya Police Station.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/176459/motorbike-driver-killed-by-suspected-drunk-driver-in-central-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-16

Dragged for 100 meters ? What was the taxi doing, 150 kph ? Guess with the

truck heavily damaged, the poor driver could not do the classic Thai flee the scene

of an accident....

I have a really hard time understanding these articles sometimes. You got out of what I got, but I had to read it more than once.

• Like 1

Probably just was hoping to shake him loose and drive on home.

Yes my thought too, didn't want to be involved.

Not sure how the report knew the guy was dead before being hit and dragged by the taxi either.

Breathalyser checks are becoming more common in Pattaya but there is still a lot of drunk driving.

My thinking too. 100 metres is a fair distance.

I believe the guy was hit by the first vehicle then a second vehicle travelling close behind collected the fallen MB rider and dragged him along the road - I only read it once

These offenses of motor accidents killing a person here in Thailand is no big deal,

as like is cheap and money talks, there will be sum of money being handed all around

to defuse the situation, some minor traffic infringement case in the court, whereby he will

will be found guilty of culpable dangerous driving and get suspended sentence and

a fine... done.....

These offenses of motor accidents killing a person here in Thailand is no big deal,

as like is cheap and money talks, there will be sum of money being handed all around

to defuse the situation, some minor traffic infringement case in the court, whereby he will

will be found guilty of culpable dangerous driving and get suspended sentence and

a fine... done.....

I avoid reading into the future and passing it off as present fact. Doing the opposite exposes me as someone who thinks they have some extraordinary gift that others only dream of.

I've learned that nothing is "done" until the sentence is handed down by a court and not by me, a mere reader of a news article..

• Like 1

Dragged for 100 meters ? What was the taxi doing, 150 kph ? Guess with the

truck heavily damaged, the poor driver could not do the classic Thai flee the scene

of an accident....

I have a really hard time understanding these articles sometimes. You got out of what I got, but I had to read it more than once.

Driving 100 km/h, reaction time 1 sec, 27,8m , Braking distance 55m. Total 82,8m.

120km/h, 33,3m. 79,5. total 112,8 m.

These are with dry road surface.

Was the taxi in the process of doing a quarter mile sprint ? Dragged the motorbike driver for 100 meters.... Or maybe the taxi driver was the one doing a hit and run and the truck driver was trying to avoid crashing into him and ended up crashing his truck ? This sound more plausible to me....

Taxi drivers do sometimes carry same decent amount of cash with them for "incase" they need to pay for something unfortunate. Just a thought ??

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Driving 100 km/h, reaction time 1 sec, 27,8m , Braking distance 55m. Total 82,8m.

120km/h, 33,3m. 79,5. total 112,8 m.

These are with dry road surface.

Road looks dry to me.

Anyway the vehicle behind should have been travelling at a distance that would have allowed them to stop safely if the vehicle in front suddenly stopped unless he was overtaking but then he should have been able to see the unfolding situation and anticipate with avoiding actions, I was taught by a good driving instructor who taught me not only to watch the vehicle in front but to anticipate their actions by observing the vehicle in front of that one and even the vehicle in front of that one

Not sure how the report knew the guy was dead before being hit and dragged by the taxi either.

Breathalyser checks are becoming more common in Pattaya but there is still a lot of drunk driving.

Drug testing is also badly needed.

Yeah but the problem is they usually stop motorbikes and let so many cars go through. Its far more dangerous to be hit with a two ton vehicle than a 100 kilo bike.