American jumps to his death from flyover

Thaivisa News

Nonthaburi:- An American man jumped to his death from a pedestrian flyover in Mueang Nonthaburi district late Tuesday night, police said.

Pol Lt Adul Changpradit of the Mueang Nonthaburi police station said Conner Michael Callahan, 58, died at the scene after he jumped from a flyover in front of Central Ratanathibet shopping mall.

He said Callahan was an English teacher at a language school in Bangkok’s Bang Kapi area.

Adul said he was alerted at about 0:30 am Wednesday by a security officer of a factory nearby shortly after Callahan jumped from the flyover.

Adul and officials from the Central Institute of Forensic Science as well as rescuers from the Ruamkatanyu Foundation rushed to the scene. They found Callahan’s body lying on a highway lane of the road. He was wearing a brown shirt and cream trousers.

The back of his skull was broken and left leg was also broken.

Officials found two black travelling bags at the bus stop near the flyover. A letter and some medicine were found in the bags.

The security officer who called police said he saw the American sitting at the bus stop on the opposite side from the shopping mall since in the evening and he appeared very sad.

The security officer said the American walked up the flyover at about midnight and jumped down.

Adul said police suspected that the man might suffer from depression because he had chronic illness.

Police will inform the US embassy in Bangkok to try to locate his relatives to claim his body for funeral service.

Adul said police suspected that the man might suffer from depression because he had chronic illness.

This is always what the police say, even before any autopsy.

More like he had no home to return to, was broke, and started "teaching" to put food on the table.

Sure would be nice if some organization could become a TV "sponsor," and make TV members aware of a number for a help line.

I, for one, would contribute to the cost of repatriating guys like this. The incidents are getting closer and closer.

Interesting concept: a 'help-line' for expats. I'd be willing to take calls. I was steady with a woman in California who took calls like that - relating to domestic abuse (mostly; wives getting beaten). She did a good job of it, and helped a lot of folks patch up their lives.

It's too bad there's not a Kavorkian type of option as a way out. Jumping from bridges or high places is painful and messy, and can traumatize others nearby - or even injure/kill others. Imagine a 180 lb body falling on you or your kid! There was a story of a farang who went out in a secluded spot near Mae Sai, put a plastic bag over his head, and died that way. He may have done something else (tied his hands?) to keep from tearing the bag off in reflex, I don't know. Sad, but at least it didn't screw up others in the process.

• Like 2

More like he had no home to return to, was broke, and started "teaching" to put food on the table.

Sure would be nice if some organization could become a TV "sponsor," and make TV members aware of a number for a help line.

I, for one, would contribute to the cost of repatriating guys like this. The incidents are getting closer and closer.

Me too. And I can offer short term accommodation. and even contribute to a ticket home.

Nothing is worth killing yourself.

Me too. And I can offer short term accommodation. and even contribute to a ticket home.

Nothing is worth killing yourself.

The problem is for many, nowhere and nobody to go back to.

Sure, you may find money for a ticket but then what? A homeless shelter?

• Like 2

as noble as your intending this, how does one determine the genuine cases and possibility of someone playing it on to get a free ticket home ? yes there would be people who would stoop that low to con someone

for me the easiest solution is to require all farangs living on long term in Thailand to lodge some sort of bond for repatriation with a government department in Thailand as part of your conditions of getting a long term stay and the money can be used help those farangs who fall off the rails and need repatriating whether dead or alive back to their homes in farangistan, etc

I think a Samaritan type service here would be a very good idea. In 2012 alone, 5 million plus calls were made to them. What options do the depressed have here?

Personally, my suggestion would be to just wait for your mood to change. It always does smile.png

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

as noble as your intending this, how does one determine the genuine cases and possibility of someone playing it on to get a free ticket home ? yes there would be people who would stoop that low to con someone

for me the easiest solution is to require all farangs living on long term in Thailand to lodge some sort of bond for repatriation with a government department in Thailand as part of your conditions of getting a long term stay and the money can be used help those farangs who fall off the rails and need repatriating whether dead or alive back to their homes in farangistan, etc

I agree. But many of them are too far gone to immediately return home.

There would have to be a "treatment center" that the troubled could contact and undergo evaluation and treatment by qualified professionals, perhaps volunteers. Based on their opinion, the person in question could either be repatriated after stabilization, or, if faking it, booted out the door.

Tough row to hoe, no doubt, but few things in life worth doing, are easy.

The easy way would be to give them the phone number of certain posters on this thread, and said posters could encourage the depressed to kill themselves.

I agree. But many of them are too far gone to immediately return home.

There would have to be a "treatment center" that the troubled could contact and undergo evaluation and treatment by qualified professionals, perhaps volunteers. Based on their opinion, the person in question could either be repatriated after stabilization, or, if faking it, booted out the door.

Tough row to hoe, no doubt, but few things in life worth doing, are easy.

The easy way would be to give them the phone number of certain posters on this thread, and said posters could encourage the depressed to kill themselves.

I won't encourage anyone.. its their freedom of choice not mine to decide for them. But that clearly went over your head.

• Like 1

Very sad to keep hearing these stories, whatever happened to paradise?

Another sad reminder that "paradise" has to come from within; not from without.

Very true....but in this case his illness came from within as well.....nothing to do with his surroundings.

What is so wrong with taking your own life (i understand for religious people its a sin). I got this life and when I want to end I will. I don't see that as a tragedy but as a choice. (reasons for staying alive would be kids and family but still I would not live a life for someone else).

One thing is for sure if I ever made the choice this would not be the way to go. I have seen dementia real close.. and I know I would not want to be like that. There are other reasons too.. life is what you make of it and when its bad.. why not end it. Plenty of people on this earth already.

"...still I would not live a life for someone else."

You must be a wonderful human being.

• Like 2

What is so wrong with taking your own life (i understand for religious people its a sin). I got this life and when I want to end I will. I don't see that as a tragedy but as a choice. (reasons for staying alive would be kids and family but still I would not live a life for someone else).

One thing is for sure if I ever made the choice this would not be the way to go. I have seen dementia real close.. and I know I would not want to be like that. There are other reasons too.. life is what you make of it and when its bad.. why not end it. Plenty of people on this earth already.

Depends on the situation (i have no kids), but if I were to have some painful terminal disease id rather end it then go on living in pain for my family. I would hope that people would understand that.. guess some are so caught up in religious matters to look logical at things.

• Like 1

Depends on the situation (i have no kids), but if I were to have some painful terminal disease id rather end it then go on living in pain for my family. I would hope that people would understand that.. guess some are so caught up in religious matters to look logical at things.

Easy to say. Proves nothing.