Lads go for a pint and end up 7,000 miles away in Thailand

webfact

This is news because.....?

Because it is humorous.......we've all done stupid things in our lives...let's have a laugh at a couple of decent lads who "wandered off" for a bit!!!

Hope they will enjoy telling their grand-kids about this bit of a lark!!

Will they live long enough for grandkids? Taste of Thailand, few years time will probably be moaning on here about the lady that took them for everything.

On Thai visa along with all of the other old farts (sorry alanrchase just seen on here)

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

This is news because.....?

Because it is humorous.......we've all done stupid things in our lives...let's have a laugh at a couple of decent lads who "wandered off" for a bit!!!

Hope they will enjoy telling their grand-kids about this bit of a lark!!

Will they live long enough for grandkids? Taste of Thailand, few years time will probably be moaning on here about the lady that took them for everything.

On Thai visa along with all of the other old farts (sorry alanrchase just seen on here)

I am an old fart. Not proud of it but what can a person do? Age is age.

In 1988, a work colleague of mine in Saudi Arabia went off on his bi-annual holiday.

A week later, his wife contacted the company admin cell in UK, asking why her husband had not shown up at home. When the company checked up on his flight itinerary, it transpired that he had booked to travel via Bangkok and had included a week’s stopover. The date he’d given his wife was the day he was due to return from there.

But oh dear, it all went wrong for him. He chose to fly back on Kuwait Airways and whilst on the BKK/KWI leg, the aircraft was high-jacked and ended up in Algiers.

He finally made it home some16 days late, with his tail between his legs and a lot of explaining to do.

Yer, I know it’s a bit off topic, but it lightens things up a bit, doesn’t it.

With regard to the ‘English lessons’, if I suddenly decide to go for a swim, that’s spontaneous is it not? It doesn’t matter if I’ve been for a swim a thousand times before, it is still spontaneous.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I think this is a hoot!! It reminds me of when I was a young copper in what was then a small town in Southern Ontario, and had to arrest an East Coaster for public drunkeness and fighting. When we got back to the station, before he was lodged for the night to sober up, he asked "Kin I call me missus?" "I guess so, what's the number?," I said. Gave me the number..which was in P.E.I.(an island on the east coast of Canada for any not familiar with it)....and insisted that it was most important..almost life or death!! I told him okay, but that it would have to be a collect call...and what was so urgent? "Well, me missus sent me out for some eggs.....Thursday afternoon I think it was.. (this is now Sunday, shortly after midnight)....I met some of me mates for a pint or two....and (with a drunken grin)..here I am!! She'll be wonderin what happened to me and the eggs!!" Not sure what the outcome was, because, while he insisted that "thas the right number', the other end wouldn't accept charges!! Always wondered how that turned out!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now that shows you that the Poms,even with a few of them together are not the smartest people,,, They have not to many usable brain cells,, drunk.gif welcomeani.gif

Apparently, this happened to my great, great grandfathers grandfather.

He woke up in Australia........................wink.png

Maybe you know him?

tongue.png

• Like 1

In 1988, a work colleague of mine in Saudi Arabia went off on his bi-annual holiday.

A week later, his wife contacted the company admin cell in UK, asking why her husband had not shown up at home. When the company checked up on his flight itinerary, it transpired that he had booked to travel via Bangkok and had included a week’s stopover. The date he’d given his wife was the day he was due to return from there.

But oh dear, it all went wrong for him. He chose to fly back on Kuwait Airways and whilst on the BKK/KWI leg, the aircraft was high-jacked and ended up in Algiers.

He finally made it home some16 days late, with his tail between his legs and a lot of explaining to do.

With regard to the ‘English lessons’, if I suddenly decide to go for a swim, that’s spontaneous is it not? It doesn’t matter if I’ve been for a swim a thousand times before, it is still spontaneous.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Are you sure it was Algiers? Remember one that landed in Iraq with a friend on board.

And I bet they bedded a couple of gorgeous girls and ended up in the morning with their brothers complete with 'five a clock shadows'

Anyway, still prettier than the ugly totty in their home town

Not quite sure how you drive to Manchester airport and jump on a plane bound for Thailand? i've always had to book

Sounds like those fantastical tales we used to concoct for our English composition tests, which always used to end with 'and then I woke up'

I just love TVF - so high brow!

And I bet they bedded a couple of gorgeous girls and ended up in the morning with their brothers complete with 'five a clock shadows'

Not quite sure how you drive to Manchester airport and jump on a plane bound for Thailand? i've always had to book

Sounds like those fantastical tales we used to concoct for our English composition tests, which always used to end with 'and then I woke up'

Prettier than Totti in their home town? Haven't been to Bangkok for a while, not that pretty last time I was there.

Errr you never heard of standby (can assure you it does exists)

Bold statement about the ugly totty in their home town (man of knowledge or ignorance, I can guess which one)

I must be a real bore but was in the same situation once pissed with a mate when he said "Lets go to the airport now and fly to Phuket".

You tink tooooo much miissster!

Edited by kinmaew

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Enjoy your day everyone.

Are you sure it was Algiers? Remember one that landed in Iraq with a friend on board.

Sure it was Algiers. It was flight number 422 out of Bangkok and went via Mashad in Iran, then Larnaca, Cyprus and finally Algiers. It's on record as the longest lasting high jacking at 16 days. Hence my buddies very late arrival home!

I do recall the incident that you are referring to. I think that occurred during the period of Iraq's occupation of Kuwait, but I can't find any reference to it on the internet.

Here we go, off topic again!!!!

More quality tourists

Not exactly the headlines one needs in Thailand especially Pattaya.

Some Newspapers seem to have a hidden agenda.

Strangely I think you guys in Pattaya like it like that.

One needs to get one's head from up one's backside, good one lads!!!

• Like 1

Flew out from Manchester a few years back. Be very surprised if they will let you go anywhere in the airport if you are obviously drunk. Nice story though. Not actually daft enough to be true. The most unbelievable are normally true.

There's some miserable gits on this forum!!

Why? Because they are not impressed by sensational Mirror news? That's like Guardian readers saying that all Mirror readers are idiots. Is everyone supposed to applaud this story even though they don't think anything about it? 555! So let me get this right. If someone says what a great story mate, they get a lot of likes, but if someone says what a load of horse c-rap they are miserable gits.....beautiful logic mate! Cheers for that

You're welcome, ya miserable git!

Why? Because they are not impressed by sensational Mirror news? That's like Guardian readers saying that all Mirror readers are idiots. Is everyone supposed to applaud this story even though they don't think anything about it? 555! So let me get this right. If someone says what a great story mate, they get a lot of likes, but if someone says what a load of horse c-rap they are miserable gits.....beautiful logic mate! Cheers for that

So we should accept the joy given to us by the media? True? Made up? Apparently if it makes you happy it is true? Buy a book

You current day UK guys are bunch of pussies. If you want spontaneity involving complete lack of thought where "planning" was only considered an academic concept, come to my error back in the mid 70' s - Canada style. Go to a local bar and find yourself a couple of days later 1000 miles away form home with your car in a ditch or sleeping with someone's relative. Remember waking up and lifting the car out of the ditch with my 3 buddies. It was hilarious at the time. Just a minor set back as we continued on our adventure to Northern Canada. Remember meeting new friends on the way and being invited to barbecues. We were young lads in our 20's not like these old UK geezers of 30 plus with passports, credit cards, cell phones just in case of emergency, Lets's say drinking and driving was not strictly enforced. Safe sex, AIDS, ... never heard of it back then. Back in the day we made young Thais look like responsible adults - no easy task!

"Safe sex, AIDS, ... never heard of it back then."

Hmmm... from what I can recall, there were also not a lot of single women about in northern Canada back then (if you really mean northern and not just some place like Timmins). You really did get lucky then...

Plenty of spare moose up for it!

5555, another quality Mirror reading retiree. Probably part of the camp that believes everyone with a working brain should be deported and banned

Two friends did the same 4 years ago. Been drinking in germany and at 22:00 in a pub decided to visit me. Book tickets online went to home and catched the next flight 8 hours later to Bangkok... biggrin.png

Not to mention that one guy had a girlfriend and she was not very happy about that...

5555, another quality Mirror reading retiree. Probably part of the camp that believes everyone with a working brain should be deported and banned
Probably not. Like to read the Daily Sport, when I get 2 mins to spare from work. Edited by roo860

Not quite the way the headline suggests.

When I used to drink similar things would happen and we would literally wake up in a different country. It usually happened when a few of us went on an all day bender. At some stage one of us would get a mad idea of heading off to Spain,Portugal or Turkey, just about anywhere we could that was far from where we were. Most of the time we didn't even remember getting there (what I now know is called a blackout). These lads didn't decide to go till the day after the drinking when they said they should head over to Thailand and join friends already there.

You Poms must really hate England.

Got to admit did the same thing...around 1984-5....

Been working in all the usual places .Saudi,Iraq,Iran,Algera,Sierra Leo...Nigeria.plus others .etc and landed back to North London when our local gin joints were still shutting shop at 10-30 and met a mate on the dear John scene...really pzzed off so suggested a joli to LOS which he thought a good idea and where the boozers opened longer....hey only young once..yes

Anyway 3 Days later off on Bangladesh Inter..329 quid r/t and lets see what happens...

Brand new aircraft .DC10...up front ,free drink, great scran and 5 stops before Dacca...then down to Don M....and it was HOT...

From there taxi ..no meters... to Hotel in S 19 which took about 3 hours ....sans skytrains/motorways etc...and not a lot of air con but who cares.......and it was...Great ...

Bars open 24 hours a day....beer about 15 Bt a throw....and hotels around 250 a night....

Patti then was like a wild west town...straight out of Dodge City...dusty,sweaty...humid...open sewers (prob not changed much)...but affordable and ever so Friendly...

Stayed at the .Palm Villa which has now gone..and bedtime was usually around 7-00 am .......mprai......O well...

He is now married and lives in the Philippines and I am still wondering...whats round the corner.?....from Mae On.....Live the Life...Jao..you are dead a long time...