"Tiger temple" denies 3 big cats are missing

Thaivisa News

Tiger temple denies allegation about three missing tigers

tiger.jpg

File photo. Source: Internet

Kanchanaburi: – Wildlife conservation authorities have started to check on and count the number of tigers being kept in captivity at Wat Pa Mahabua, also known as tiger temple, Saiyok district.

The temple spokesman is, meanwhile, denying the allegation that three of 143 tigers have been stolen or secretly taken from the temple.

The temple is one of the popular tourist destinations in the western province. The 149 tigers belong to the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department.

The department has permitted the temple to keep and care for the tigers on its behalf.

Last week, veterinarian SomchaiWisetmongkolchai sounded the alarm that three tigers were secretly taken out of the temple. He also claimed the actual number of tigers was 147.

After making the allegation, He resigned his position as the temple’s vet.

After the tigers at the temple attracted attention of tourists, wildlife conservation authorities intervened to take possession of the tigers, a protected species banned from private captivity and possession.

After taking stock of the tigers, the authorities then delegated the temple as wildlife keeper.

Somchai’s allegation prompted the authorities to verify the number of tigers.

But the counting of tigers embedded with microchips could not complete in a day because of the presence of tourists. After the temple closed for visitors, heavy rain slowed down the counting process.

The authorities will today resume the counting and verification process.

Temple spokesman Supitpong Pakcharung said he suspected Somchai to have a hidden agenda in making the “groundless” allegation.

The temple is consulting with people concerned before deciding whether to file libel charge against Somchai, he said.

Monks should not be allowed to have any animals whatsoever.

Better, just apply the existing laws also to monks......

I am sure there are plenty of good monks who take care of some dogs......

I actually know a small criminal and drunk who turned monk who love animals. Even as drunk he gave his last money/food to support some hungry dog.

Having a business with animals is another thing.....a temple is no zoo or circus....

Have they not heard of embedded microchips?

Have you read the article?

But the counting of tigers embedded with microchips could not complete in a day because of the presence of tourists. After the temple closed for visitors, heavy rain slowed down the counting process.
The authorities will today resume the counting and verification process.

After the temple closed for visitors, heavy rain slowed down the counting process.

Will ask my wife if it rained yesterday, as Sunday there was no rain in and around Kan town only a small shower on Saturday.

We live 30 odd kms from that place. whistling.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

Anyone checked the traditional Chinese pharmacies and Restaurants yet?

We know that all Thai Buddhist monks are completely pure and honest, from impeccable social backgrounds, and it would be quite impossible for a holy man to engage in money-making activities while pretending to be a spiritual leader of less perfect people.

And to double prove it, no Thai would ever do that... so case closed.

this is a very interesting situation - more so than the raid.

The fact that the story comes from a "vet" who has resigned. It doesn't seem clear WHEN he resigned either

As yet it doesn't seem clear quite who this chap is? Was it the guy on the BBC program?

There is a vet who is/was involved with the temple who also runs tours of the place - one guesses that these may be two different people.

i also heard that the vet - which one? - had no experience with big cats.

It also harks back to earlier court decisions about the temple when they were going to confiscate the animals when there were only about half a dozen or so at the place - this proved to be a non-starter as there was nowhere to put them.

it also underlines the increasingly alarming situation in respect of the 147 YES! 147 tigers at the place - these animals don't appear to have any genetic history and may well be interbred or hybrids...this is a potential eco-timebomb

Post & replies removed with potential defamation risks.

Please cite proof when making claims of this nature.

Sriracha tiger zoo was caught red handed selling tiger parts to China.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/606095-plodprasop-released-on-bail-in-alleged-tiger-export-case/

"BANGKOK: -- The Ratchadapisek Criminal Court Wednesday granted a Bt120,000 bail release to Minister of Science and Technology Plodprasop Suraswadi, who was accused of authorising the export of 100 tigers to a Chinese zoo in defiance of the animal exchange law in 2002."

And this Tiger Temple has basically been caught doing the exact same thing... Clearly it has to be huge money. What do you want Boo, a video tape of the tigers being loaded up?

As the temple stated they were going to embed microchips only a few weeks ago, one would be surprised if any, let alone all the animals were fitted with chips

NO i would say eaten with chips, these Chinese will eat anyhting

As the temple stated they were going to embed microchips only a few weeks ago, one would be surprised if any, let alone all the animals were fitted with chips

NO i would say eaten with chips, these Chinese will eat anyhting

The usual process is to cut up the animals and place the various parts in "wine" or some sort alcohol. many tiger farms have a "winery" at the back

I thought this Temple was closed as reported on TV some weeks ago. They had 2 wolves in a cage and the monk in charge accused of selling tigers to the Chinese. Is this the same Tiger Temple?.

I found this TV link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797548-tiger-temple-raided/

Edited by thommo46

I thought this Temple was closed as reported on TV some weeks ago. They had 2 wolves in a cage and the monk in charge accused of selling tigers to the Chinese. Is this the same Tiger Temple?.

I found this TV link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/797548-tiger-temple-raided/

unfortunately the reporting in the temple has always been dreadful - as most people have no grasp of the actual issues or what is or isn't going on and how relevant that may be.

The "wolves" for instance were as certain as can be, not wolves - they were later described as "Jackals" they may eve have been the rare Asiatic wild dog.

The temple has been "approached by the "authorities" on several occasions concerning the breeding of tigers at the zoo....you will notice in the niterview that the vet K. Somchai actually brushes over the issue of impure breeding and it's consequences..

Post & replies removed with potential defamation risks.

Please cite proof when making claims of this nature.

Sriracha tiger zoo was caught red handed selling tiger parts to China.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/606095-plodprasop-released-on-bail-in-alleged-tiger-export-case/

"BANGKOK: -- The Ratchadapisek Criminal Court Wednesday granted a Bt120,000 bail release to Minister of Science and Technology Plodprasop Suraswadi, who was accused of authorising the export of 100 tigers to a Chinese zoo in defiance of the animal exchange law in 2002."

And this Tiger Temple has basically been caught doing the exact same thing... Clearly it has to be huge money. What do you want Boo, a video tape of the tigers being loaded up?

Did P{lodprasop ever get his "day in court"? As I remember it was meant to be in April last year........saved by the coup???