Online 90 day reporting available from April 1st

You obviously paid little attention to the rules for mail in 90 day reports; others might not be so lucky.

Notice :

- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

I know what the recommended time frame is....and I have heard of no reports of anyone being denied for not meeting the 15 day mail lead time.

OK, my own tiny contribution.

Entered Thailand in mid April, am within the window they specify for online 90 day reporting.

Browsers.

Firefox - fail (can't succesfully input data)

Chrome - fail (can't progress past the captcha on Pg1)

Internet Explorer - fail (input data and hit submit to be met with the 'report to immigration officer' message on page 1)

Sure they will get it sorted eventually but it's a bit frustrating in my experience. Wish they would ensure cross browser compatibility (does anyone use IE anymore?)

Thai immigration does...so do a lot of government organizations, businesses, and individuals worldwide as their primary or secondary browser. IE is the second most used browser...Chrome is first....FF 3d. See below worldwide browser use stats for the last 12 months per gs.statcounter.com

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

IE's days appear, in any event, to be numbered with MS's roll-out of Windows 10 scheduled from the end of the month. So the Immigration Bureau really do need to take action to make the online system accessible via other browsers such as Chrome without the need for conversion software to be purchased solely for the purpose - although I'm not holding my breath for this to happen any time soon. It therefore looks like I'll continue to be sending the wife along to the post office every 90 days with my snail-mailed report for the indefinite future.

Entered Thailand in mid April, am within the window they specify for online 90 day reporting.

Browsers.

Internet Explorer - fail (input data and hit submit to be met with the 'report to immigration officer' message on page 1)

Sure they will get it sorted eventually but it's a bit frustrating in my experience. Wish they would ensure cross browser compatibility (does anyone use IE anymore?)

Thai immigration does...so do a lot of government organizations, businesses, and individuals worldwide as their primary or secondary browser. IE is the second most used browser...Chrome is first....FF 3d. See below worldwide browser use stats for the last 12 months per gs.statcounter.com

Would you care to name one Fortune 500 company that requires users to use IE? Sure, many companies are "MS Shops," but it certainly is not a requirement for their customers.

Didn't say the businesses forced their customers to use it...I meant internally the businesses use it. But what happens sometimes when that occurs is the businesses tend to develop their sites to fully work with IE maybe because that's what they are use to using, but there may be glitches with other browsers. Heck, a couple times over the last several months there have been some minor glitches in using some of my U.S. banking websites when using Chrome (my primary browser) but the sites work fine with IE. And if I remember right I think around 9 months ago my USAA Bank ibanking has some Chrome display issues, USAA was acknowledging that on their website, and recommended use of another browser such as IE until they fix the issue....took them about 3-5 days to get the display issue resolved.

Browsers.

IE's days appear, in any event, to be numbered with MS's roll-out of Windows 10 scheduled from the end of the month. So the Immigration Bureau really do need to take action to make the online system accessible via other browsers such as Chrome without the need for conversion software to be purchased solely for the purpose - although I'm not holding my breath for this to happen any time soon. It therefore looks like I'll continue to be sending the wife along to the post office every 90 days with my snail-mailed report for the indefinite future.

The new windows browser will be compatible with websites set up for IE.

You do not have to pay anything to get an extension for Chrome to have it work with the website. I installed IE tab and it didn't cost me a satang.

You can also get the same extension for Firefox for free.

• Like 1

You do not have to pay anything to get an extension for Chrome to have it work with the website. I installed IE tab and it didn't cost me a satang.

Thanks for the info on IE Tab extension...just installed it...will play with it over the coming days. Here's a snapshot summary of what it does for others who may be interested.

post-55970-0-45395400-1436771530_thumb.j

I can't even load

http://extranet.immigration.go.th/pibics/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

at the moment. Is the webpage offline?

That is the wrong link. They changed it to this one at the end of June. https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

I posted the new link in the OP then.

There is a discussion about it here: New Website Address for Online 90 Day Reporting

• Like 1

In my opinion, no website should be "set up", ie designed, to be compatible exclusively with one particular browser. Instead, websites should be designed to conform with an international standard, HTML or W3C or whatever it is called.

In my opinion, every web browser should be designed in such a way that it correctly displays all websites that conform with the international standard. If beyond that the browser can also display correctly some elements of a website that do not conform with the standard, with or without an add-in, this is a bonus.

In my opinion, no website should be "set up", ie designed, to be compatible exclusively with one particular browser. Instead, websites should be designed to conform with an international standard, HTML or W3C or whatever it is called.

In my opinion, every web browser should be designed in such a way that it correctly displays all websites that conform with the international standard. If beyond that the browser can also display correctly some elements of a website that do not conform with the standard, with or without an add-in, this is a bonus.

I agree with that.

The problem is that immigration's system is structured around IE and it was done that way years ago.

There are even pages on immigration's website that you cannot use properly without IE or a browser with an extension. Try to get any info on this page without IE or a browser with an extension or add on for IE, http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service

How the 90 Day Online System works.

I'm not going into a lengthy who, what, why, where, but I've spent two hours today going step by step through the online procedure on the Immigrations computer system with a very helpful Immigration officer who worked at Suvarnabhumi airport, Bangkok Head office and is now part of a dedicated team set up to overcome the problems of the online system.

A little information to help you understand. The original Immigration software was developed by the Americans and is used to this day when you enter Thailand and is recorded at Bangkok. In 2013 Thailand developed it's own Immigration software for use at local Immigration offices. The two systems are not compatible. Those who entered 2013 automatically had their details transferred to the new system, but there are far to many prior to 2013 to manually transfer.

The online reporting system has been set up to work with the newer (Thai) system, therefore those who entered Thailand prior to the new system being initiated (2013) will be on the 'old' database. Those who entered after 2013 will be on the 'new' database.

OK, so we went through some of the common problems expats are facing.

1. Cannot get past the first page without the 'report to Immigration ' message.

If you entered before 2013 forget it. You will have to exit and re-enter to get your details inputted to the 'new' system.

(They think that is quick and easy to do. They were quite surprised when I explained that would be very inconvenient for some and the time and money to do this, just to be able to report online. It was easier to use the mail method).

Another reason for those who entered 2013 and later is that your details were incorrectly entered on the database. (I'll explain more later)

2. Complete 4 pages of info then when you submit you get a blank page.

Rarely happens, but this is an internet problem. They suggest you try again, maybe later, it is not a fault of the system.

3. Successful reports are left in 'Pending' status and never 'Approved'

This is because not all offices had the new Computer terminals linked to the 'new' system and officers are still being trained how to use it. However all offices now have the new terminals up and running, and all offices should be able to use the system.

When you first submit an online application, it is sent to the central Bangkok database. This checks only the basic information such as name, nationality, passport number and if the details you enter match that database, then a 'pending' status is electronically generated. That 'pending' application is also immediately sent to your local Immigration office. They check further details, such as address before approving your application. This will trigger the central database, which will then send you an e-mail and you can log on to print your next report date off.

The central and local databases are working on the same software. Immigration officers at your local office can check and change your details on the central database. They are aware that many offices say they cannot do it, but that is either due to the fact that they are not yet confident in using the system, or not enough staff are yet trained to use it, or are just to busy to bother.

(They went through it with my details and it takes about 20 minutes to log in, change details and double check both the central and local databases)

With continued training of more staff and raising the confidence of those already trained, they hope in time to eliminate some of the problems.

They are currently working on integrating the 'old' and the 'new' systems, but that could take time.

I may not have explained certain points very well, and I probably haven't covered everything we went through.

If you have any questions and I can answer, I'll try my best.

One thing I can assure you is they are spending a lot of time, money and effort into making this system work.

Thanks for the informative post.

If you entered before 2013 forget it.

So I take it this is an absolute for the time being?

I last entered in 2007, so I assume there's no point in even trying (again) until someone announces that they've sorted this out?

Edited by Suradit69

I last entered in 2007, so I assume there's no point in even trying (again) until someone announces that they've sorted this out?

You can fix it yourself by getting a re-entry permit and doing a border hop for a new entry. That is what my immigration office advised me to do.

I have 2 problems one is my entry in 2008 and the other is a new passport since then.

• Like 1

Sure seems like it...unless you entered the country within the last two years or so (2013 or later) your data will not be in their new system and after entering your info into page one you get the pop-up message saying you'll need to visit your local immigration office. Now it appears the only way to get the info into their new system is exit and reenter.

Seems to be plenty of excuses reasons why immigration could not use/import pre-2013 information. Durn shame they don't at least try to manually enter pre-2013 data like maybe having a person/office you could visit at immigration who would enter the info....I say "you" visit in case they also need to see your previous passport and its entry stamp(s) for some reason. Sure it would take a while to get everyone entered this way but at least immigration would be attempting a fix to add more people to their new system's database versus expecting pre-2013 entry folks to exit/reenter Thailand, do a border run, go on a shopping trip to Hong Kong, go visit the family in the home country, etc.

I know I would prefer to got visit the immigration office and set down with someone so they could manually enter the data they need versus wanting me to exit/reenter the country. I last entered in 2008.

Is having this new online reporting a good thing? Sure is. Just a durn shame it's limited to folks last entering Thailand over the last two years.

• Like 1

You can fix it yourself by getting a re-entry permit and doing a border hop for a new entry. That is what my immigration office advised me to do.

I have 2 problems one is my entry in 2008 and the other is a new passport since then.

Yes, in addition to my last entry being in 2007 I also have recently received a new passport.

I guess I can live with the relatively painless visits to Jomtien. Getting a re-entry permit and doing a border crossing sounds worse unless I come up with some other reason to travel outside the country.

Sure seems like it...unless you entered the country within the last two years or so (2013 or later) your data will not be in their new system and after entering your info into page one you get the pop-up message saying you'll need to visit your local immigration office. Now it appears the only way to get the info into their new system is exit and reenter.

Seems to be plenty of excuses reasons why immigration could not use/import pre-2013 information. Durn shame they don't at least try to manually enter pre-2013 data like maybe having a person/office you could visit at immigration who would enter the info....I say "you" visit in case they also need to see your previous passport and its entry stamp(s) for some reason. Sure it would take a while to get everyone entered this way but at least immigration would be attempting a fix to add more people to their new system's database versus expecting pre-2013 entry folks to exit/reenter Thailand, do a border run, go on a shopping trip to Hong Kong, go visit the family in the home country, etc.

I know I would prefer to got visit the immigration office and set down with someone so they could manually enter the data they need versus wanting me to exit/reenter the country. I last entered in 2008.

Is having this new online reporting a good thing? Sure is. Just a durn shame it's limited to folks last entering Thailand over the last two years.

"Is having this new online reporting a good thing?"

Yes, at least it should reduce some of the others who might have been in the queue ahead of you.

It seems like maybe they could sift through ALL the pre-2013 entries and pull out only those who are still doing 90 day reports and have not subsequently done a newer border entry ... maybe by somehow tagging the files for those who are still showing up to do in-person reports.

When your stamps were transferred to your new passport, or a new extension in the new passport, those new passport details should have been changed on the database. Something you could check with Immigration on your next visit.

As I explained, up to 2013 they used a system designed and built by Americans. I guess common logic would assume this was during the time thousands of Americans were based here during the Vietnam conflict.

The Thais designed and built a new system in 2013, which is not currently compatible with the older system.

The database in BKK details the basics of every visitor entering Thailand, Visa exempt, Tourist, Non B, Non 0, etc.

Your local Immigrations database has a minority, but more extensive information for individuals who visit for extensions.

Manually entering details of those who entered prior to 2013 would require an army of staff.

Don't forget the thousands on Tourist or Non Imm O Visas who exit/enter Thailand every 3 months and are logged on the central database in BKK, but never appear on a local Immigration database.

Thailand had over 26.7 million tourists enter in 2013 alone.

The quick fix, according to Immigration, is to leave and re-enter Thailand, thereby your entry will be recorded on the new database.

Other than that, I'd stick with the mail option, which is still easy to do.

When your stamps were transferred to your new passport, or a new extension in the new passport, those new passport details should have been changed on the database. Something you could check with Immigration on your next visit.

If your passport number could be updated your entry could also be put in the database. My understanding it is not the same database that an immigration office updates when you do anything.

Americans combat forces departed Thailand in 1975 - do not believe there were many computers in use at that time. Suspect reference to Americans is that they had access for some time now of US data on suspected terrorists and such.

As for claiming armies would be required to transfer data? All that is required for this is the data for those on current extensions of stay (issued within last 12 months) and not in the new database - very simple to get that down to a relatively small number. Or did they erase the old data to make new storage space perhaps?

• Like 1

Just now; Firefox definitely does not work.

IE shows "The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority."

Is Thai immigration hacked ? or are they just Thai?

I filled it out anyway and got the pending transaction number.

Just now; Firefox definitely does not work.

IE shows "The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority."

Is Thai immigration hacked ? or are they just Thai?

I filled it out anyway and got the pending transaction number.

All you have to do is go back a few posts on this page or the previous one to find info about both complaints you made.

There is also a discussion about them here (also posted earlier): New Website Address for Online 90 Day Reporting

I'm no IT expert but I can tell you what I saw, was shown and was told.

Prior to 2013 the Immigration system was run exclusively by a system developed by the Americans.

2013 the Thais developed their own Immigration system.

There are therefore different servers, hardware and software for each system.

Both systems are functional, the American system pre 2013 and the Thai system post 2013.

The older American system is now no more than a storage facility for pre 2013 Immigration history, but is still in use.

Since 2013 all Immigration movements have been recorded on the new Thai server system.

It is this system that they have expanded to facilitate 90 day online reporting.

However the old hardware and software programs based in the local Immigration offices were not compatible with using the new servers. It was envisaged that all local Imm offices would have the new hardware installed (with dedicated software programs) by 1st April, however many offices had to have new external internet cables installed to enable use of the new system, which took longer than expected and why so many local Imm offices couldn't use the system on April 1st.

(I guess were talking new routers, modems etc here)

I was told that all local Immigration offices now have the new hardware (keyboards, monitors, cameras) with the new software installed (operating system, programs, applications) to operate with the newer Thai server system.

Effectively all Immigration points of entry to Thailand and local Immigration offices now have access to two completely different operating systems. The two systems are not compatibly with each other and that is why information cannot be electronically transferred from one to the other.

Someone who entered post 2013 will be registered on the new database. If they remain in Thailand and subsequently do an extension at a local Immigration office, then the server will be given a code to link you to that office.

The server only stores your basic information taken at point of entry, many more details are added to the local database.

When you do an online report the server only checks your basic details, places you in pending status and the application is sent to your local Immigration office for approval.

On screen, the officer will see a list of pending application for that office with basics such as name, nationality, passport number, with a check box to the left. The officer should then check further details you put on the electronic TM47 form with the details they have locally. If the details match, he checks the box, your details disappear from his screen (completed) and you are sent an automatic e-mail with a printable report receipt with the next report due 90 days from the electronic activation.

My local office (Amnat) usually has around 6 staff and is a reasonable quiet office.

On the day of my visit however their were 20 or more staff. Many were being trained to use the new equipment and software, so it took twice as long to do anything as they were cross checking every detail, with a supervising officer looking over their shoulder.

I guess they were using Amnat for training purposes, because it is a quiet office by comparison.

One of the fields of information related to the house owner of the address where you reside.

In my case my landlady's name was already filled in but they had the contact details for my girlfriend. Although I have my own Tabian Ban, they still wanted copies of my landlady's ID and Tabian Ban, (which I had, just in case). They noted her contact information was different to that in the field and changed it.

Now it's only a guess, for those who suggest they could manually enter details of someone who entered Thailand pre 2013 onto the new system, that your passport is scanned at an arrival point to enter you into the newer system, which is probably something the local offices can't do.

I can quite easily conceive how even one spelling error can result in a 'report to Immigration' message, or a 'pending' application is 'refused' (local information not matching the details you supply) to those who entered post 2013 and are already on the new system.

Your local office can change these details though (which changes the details held on the server) provided he has the time and the inclination to look for the discrepancy.

• Like 2

Good info. I expect where you say a pre-2013 system developed by Americans that it was simply a Thai immigration contract that an American company won...then that company developed the system based on the requirements/needs/wants/desires/etc., Thai immigration identified to them. I know you are only relaying what your immigration office has told and shown you, but transferring data from one system to another system (i.e, old to new) can be done...it's not rocket science anymore...personally seen it done many times between systems during my work life, but I expect immigration may have just wanted to reduce system startup costs/time and start with a fairly clean slate....kinda like doing a clean install of MS Windows. They probably placed more emphasis on just getting the new system up and running versus transferring as much old data to the new system as possible.

Besides, farangs like going to immigration offices to do their address reports...or they can just mail it in...or they can just do a border run...no real customer impact. And to a degree they are correct because at least it's better for folks entering enter 2013 and forward and the pre-2013 entry folks are no worst off.

Don't mean to be shooting at the messenger (I've been shot at many times as a messenger). Very good info...thanks.

Can someone just give me the link to go directly to the form for Bangkok or post simple step by step instructions

I keep getting sent round in circles.

Thanks

There is no form for any location. It is the same for every where.

Not sure what you mean by "round in circles"

If you are having trouble getting past the first 2 pages info here might help. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/?p=9297124#entry9297124

Once you get to step one (of 4) of the process and fill out the info from there on it is self explanatory. When you get to the end you will a pending application and a verification to use when you want to check on your application.

Pib, they did acknowledge they were working at transferring data to the newer system, but with the problems already raised by the online reporting facility, I think that could take some time, if ever.

After seeing what they are trying to do and the forms that some foreigners complete, I have my own opinion of why so many who entered post 2013 are still having problems online, but that's another story.

Joe,

I apologize in advance if I'm being redundant. I got a new passport and transferred my details this year - prior - to my yearly extension. I then did a 90 day report the day I returned to get my visa stamp (30 days after my extension appointment), i.e., I got the visa stamp and then immediately went to the 90 desk to update my address. The big guy at the CM 90 day desk who does the 90 day looked confused when he did mine and had to do something in the computer system. I got no explanation of what was done. He's not the smile and provide detailed customer service type, although he is efficient. So what's your recommendation? Try a 90 day online and if it fails, apply for a exit stamp, make a border run, and try again? Or can we just talk to the CM immigration and ask them to make sure I'm in the system.

As always, totally confused by the lack of dialog between immigration and we expats who live here and support families.

I'm open to suggestions. I consider you and Mario to be the 'go to' sources from this type of stuff and truly appreciate your suggestions and patience with us TV members who feel like mushrooms in the dark.

Thanks as always!

PS. How badly do you think things would be screwed up if I applied online AND sent my 90 by mail. It's a 140 km round trip from me to actually have to go visit immigration. Again, recommendations and I'll follow your suggestions!

Edited by connda

Joe,

I apologize in advance if I'm being redundant. I got a new passport and transferred my details this year - prior - to my yearly extension. I then did a 90 day report the day I returned to get my visa stamp (30 days after my extension appointment), i.e., I got the visa stamp and then immediately went to the 90 desk to update my address. The big guy at the CM 90 day desk who does the 90 day looked confused when he did mine and had to do something in the computer system. I got no explanation of what was done. He's not the smile and provide detailed customer service type, although he is efficient. So what's your recommendation? Try a 90 day online and if it fails, apply for a exit stamp, make a border run, and try again? Or can we just talk to the CM immigration and ask them to make sure I'm in the system.

As always, totally confused by the lack of dialog between immigration and we expats who live here and support families.

I'm open to suggestions. I consider you and Mario to be the 'go to' sources from this type of stuff and truly appreciate your suggestions and patience with us TV members who feel like mushrooms in the dark.

Thanks as always!

PS. How badly do you think things would be screwed up if I applied online AND sent my 90 by mail. It's a 140 km round trip from me to actually have to go visit immigration. Again, recommendations and I'll follow your suggestions!

I need to make a caveat to my post. At this moment, I personally will not use the online system if the 90 day reporting still points to this URL: https://extranet.immigration.go.th. Why? This site is completely unsecure as it has no valid certificate. Prior to retirement I was a systems engineer in the computer industry, and I try not to do stupid things. Using this unsecure link is opening users up to identity theft. I Highly Recommend Not To Use It, at least until they issue a valid certificate for their site.

Details can be found at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=extranet.immigration.go.th

Without digging through 40 pages of data, perhaps this has already been addressed and perhaps they now have a new URL. If so, can someone provide the link. If the URL still points to the https://extranet.immigration.go.th, use it at your own risk and with extreme prejudice. Personally, I will not use it.

So, at the moment, I looks as though I'll be mailing mine in to Chiang Mai. Now comes the question. My 90 days needs to be mailed by July 21st. Chiang Mai immigration moves to the Promenade on July 20th. Where do I mail it to?

Edited by connda

Joe,

Thanks as always!

When you did the 90 day report the officer had to change your passport number in the local 90 day reporting system. It is not linked to the main data base that was updated when you transferred your stamps.

You could try doing your next report online using your new passport number. I would guess you will get the contact your local office message. If you do get the message try again using your old passport number just to see what it does If no message that will confirm your passport number was not updated on the database the online reporting system accesses.

If you get through the process using your new passport you would just have to wait and see if you get an approval. You probably would get approval since your new passport number is in the local database.

You would likely not get an approval using your old passport number.

I need to make a caveat to my post. At this moment, I personally will not use the online system if the 90 day reporting still points to this URL: https://extranet.immigration.go.th. Why? This site is completely unsecure as it has no valid certificate. Prior to retirement I was a systems engineer in the computer industry, and I try not to do stupid things. Using this unsecure link is opening users up to identity theft. I Highly Recommend Not To Use It, at least until they issue a valid certificate for their site.

Details can be found at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=extranet.immigration.go.th

Without digging through 40 pages of data, perhaps this has already been addressed and perhaps they now have a new URL. If so, can someone provide the link. If the URL still points to the https://extranet.immigration.go.th, use it at your own risk and with extreme prejudice. Personally, I will not use it.

So, at the moment, I looks as though I'll be mailing mine in to Chiang Mai. Now comes the question. My 90 days needs to be mailed by July 21st. Chiang Mai immigration moves to the Promenade on July 20th. Where do I mail it to?

But maybe think about it this way, since the system's security is probably not the best and your data could already be in the system if you last entered the country since 2013 then hackers may have already hacked into their system whether you use it or not for your 90 day reporting. Kinda like the recent and massive U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) breach where tens of millions of folks personal info was comprised/stolen whether you used the OPM system or not because your personal data from previous govt employment was stored on their system. And even if never employed by the govt some of your personal data could have still be comprised like if you were ever a reference POC for a govt employee undergoing a security clearance background check.