An expert predicts Bangkok will be partly submerged in the next 30 years

webfact

Does the present regime accept this forecast - especially since other data suggest that BKK will be largely underwater much sooner, ie within the next 15 years? If so, what exactly are they doing to mitigate the likely disastrous consequences? If they don't accept it, what are their reasons for this and who will be accountable if they are wrong?

If Thaksin is still alive, I am sure some will attempt to blame him.

Almost sounds like you hope is is not still alive. Which seems a bit contradictory. Seeing he is due in Singapore about now I am not sure what your point is. I'm confused. Are you also confused?

do you know how much the dutch live below the sea level in your measurement unit? they can live so can Bangkok people as an intelligent creature. just copy them.

Do you think the Thai can build this?

We (the Dutch) are classed as the best bridge builders in the world and we build the Dykes and can shut of the rivers so that the Netherlands normally will not flood. And closed off the Zuider Zee and reclaimed the land.,,,,,,

But there maybe a big problem if Thailand want to do all those things to their Country,,,Where would the money come from?Thailand does not have it,,,,Where is the workforce coming from to do the work up to spec?Thailand has not got workers who can build up to spec.Thailand has not got the quality materials for the job,Thailand has not got the Engineers for the job,,

The smartest thing they can do here in Thailand is shift all the dirt/soil from all the mountains and build up the country to keep their head above the flood line,There are plenty of workers that can shift dirt/soil,If they start now maybe they can keep their feet dry..

wai2.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 2

do you know how much the dutch live below the sea level in your measurement unit? they can live so can Bangkok people as an intelligent creature. just copy them.

dunkin2012. In Holland the dykes hold back the waters. In Bangkok the dykes charge money for their services.

A finger in a dyke will not be enough to save The Land of Smell's BKK. What will happen to 'swampy ? '

Thailand is at a far greater risk of rising seas than their experts are willing to state, it is currently being viewed as gradual, but it is more than likely going to be sudden, and soon.

Chiang Mai the next capital, let bkk sinking.. end of discusion wai.gif

They could ask Holland for technical assistance, but that's just not the Thai way. They'll probably wait until the city is partially submerged, they'll authorize a 5 trillion baht mega-project to fix the problem, 3.5 trillion will be siphoned off the top, the ineffective stop-gap measures will be deployed to alleviate the problems where the richest folk live and work, the system will eventually fail leaving the perimeter of the city surrounded by partially completed sea-walls that will become an historic anomaly 1000 years from now, and the capital will be moved back to Ayutthaya (or Chiang Mai if Phua Thai is back in action). rolleyes.gif Now I'll guess I'll dust that crystal ball of an put it back in the closet.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

5 years ago "experts" were predicting that Bangkok would be submerged within 7 years. Now they're predicting that it will be partly submerged within 30 years. I'd like to congratulate whoever it was that put in place the improvements that caused such a dramatic turnaround.

Some "experts" can only see the future in a straight line. e.g. if stocks are up 5% a year over last 5 years, they think they will rise 5% forever. This "expert" seems to have made the same analysis. The land can't sink forever, otherwise Bangkok would end up on the opposite side of the world. She doesn't explain how she came to the conclusion that the same will happen over the next 30 years. Where is the evidence.

5 years ago "experts" were predicting that Bangkok would be submerged within 7 years. Now they're predicting that it will be partly submerged within 30 years. I'd like to congratulate whoever it was that put in place the improvements that caused such a dramatic turnaround.

I can't recall seeing any authoritative reports saying Bangkok would be submerged by 2017, any links? Edited by apetley

Costas2008, on 27 Mar 2015 - 17:07, said:

"And God said to Noah, 'I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for BKK is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with BKK. Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above; and set the door of the ark in its side; make it with lower, second, and third decks.

"For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon BKK, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is in BKK shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you.

"And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you, to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up; and it shall serve as food for you and for them.

And Noah brought two of every kind of animal but not all multiplied. The snakes were 'adders', the llamas were gay, and the 'cheetahs' ate all the food.

The 'woodpeckers' were responsible for sinking the ark and everything died.

• Like 1

I read that the subsidence will be put in prison until it has adjusted to the wishes of the current regime.

Anyone found to have suggested that BKK being under water any sooner than 10000 years will be arrested, deoroted hung and quartered then excommunicated and given as sacrifice to the great goats bogey.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Does the present regime accept this forecast - especially since other data suggest that BKK will be largely underwater much sooner, ie within the next 15 years? If so, what exactly are they doing to mitigate the likely disastrous consequences? If they don't accept it, what are their reasons for this and who will be accountable if they are wrong?

If Thaksin is still alive, I am sure some will attempt to blame him.

Well, his inflated sense of self worth could conceivably float an entire city and so lift Bangkok out of its alluvial depression.