Pattaya Beach Traffic Re-organization Program begins

webfact

Pattaya Beach Traffic Re-organization Program begins

road-3.jpg

PATTAYA; -- Despite many failed attempts in the past, Pattaya Beach Road is once again the subject of a traffic re-organization program which is hoped will reduce traffic congestion along the road caused by illegally parked vehicles, including Baht Buses.

In 2014 marching bands were present to launch new designated parking areas for Baht Buses along Pattaya Beach and despite a further 17 parking zones being allocated at the end of 2014 following complaints from the Pattaya Baht Bus Co-operative, the scheme was a failure as Baht Buses continued to stop wherever they wanted.

This time the Deputy Mayor of Pattaya, Khun Ronagit, will be assisted by the Thai Army, Pattaya Traffic Police and Pattaya Tourist Police as they once again try to control taxis and improve traffic flow along Pattaya Beach.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/179325/pattaya-beach-traffic-re-organization-program-begins/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-31

While their at it, get rid of all the baht taxis that illegally park in front of the school on pattaya second road--they cause more congestion than beach road. instead of making passengers get off and change taxis, order the baht taxis to not stop and just continue to jomtien. make a continuous loop from beach road to jomtien and then around again.

they may fantasize about it being a high speed motorway but they forget that thousands of tourists walk across it every day to get to the beach, its silly of them not to have made any pedestrian crossings, in fact its more then silly, it would be criminal negligence in a civilized country

The Baht bus is less of a problem then double parked vehicles shutting off one full lane to traffic. Often, unloading trucks, ( 7 -11-- big offender ), will double park, for HOURS and leave their engines running/polluting. Double parking is far more congestive and dangerous than the busses.

Tourist coaches are an issue too, sometimes not even parking just struggling to make a left turn into a minor soi or entrance.

Since the road was widened (apparently to allow market stalls) parking and stopping on the right is tolerated more.

Things will not improve without policing and fining of offenders, until they grow more strength in their pants rather than flapping their lips little will change.

While their at it, get rid of all the baht taxis that illegally park in front of the school on pattaya second road--they cause more congestion than beach road. instead of making passengers get off and change taxis, order the baht taxis to not stop and just continue to jomtien. make a continuous loop from beach road to jomtien and then around again.

Hogwash! It is 3 lanes wide on that side. The real problem is parking on the west side up to the Flyover.

I'm talking about the road by the Smart Kids School. Might be 3 lanes wide but the baht taxis take up 2 of the lanes illegally parking there and double parking. Plus all the congestion of passengers having to cross the street and get on the taxis--which are dangerously overpacked with passengers. The other side of the street is a mess, too, but what else is new.

they may fantasize about it being a high speed motorway but they forget that thousands of tourists walk across it every day to get to the beach, its silly of them not to have made any pedestrian crossings, in fact its more then silly, it would be criminal negligence in a civilized country

There is in fact some pedestrian crossings with lights even.... But hey, TIT, so nobody takes notice of the lights so i avoid using it.... safer to not use it.....

very simple like in WEST :

no supply trucks on day,

nothing over 3,5 tonne

no private car,

clear marked and controlled areas for Bus and baht bus stops;

regulate cars with even and not even numbers allowed to drive accordingly;

where is a will is a way !!

• Like 1

There is in fact some pedestrian crossings with lights even.... But hey, TIT, so nobody takes notice of the lights so i avoid using it.... safer to not use it.....

good idea, Ive seen two people taken out on those crossings and it wasnt a pleasant sight, they could make a fortune if they policed them but I guess they are afraid it would slow down the traffic

Hogwash! It is 3 lanes wide on that side. The real problem is parking on the west side up to the Flyover.

Totaly hogwash, dont shout at him he is a newnative hahahahahah

• Like 1

The Baht bus is less of a problem then double parked vehicles shutting off one full lane to traffic. Often, unloading trucks, ( 7 -11-- big offender ), will double park, for HOURS and leave their engines running/polluting. Double parking is far more congestive and dangerous than the busses.

Trucks park for hours?? Don't blame the 7-11s, the road should be kept clear to allow trucks to deliver to them, and other shops, there

should be other ways if there are no kerbs to paint those stripes on.

I'm sure a call to the cops will be fine if they know they can pick up some tea money for towing offending vehicles away.

If trucks can't deliver to shops, then the shops will eventually have nothing to sell. These shops give a public service, so delivery

trucks need to park at the door, unless there is a back door which the truck can get to.

I'm talking about the road by the Smart Kids School. Might be 3 lanes wide but the baht taxis take up 2 of the lanes illegally parking there and double parking. Plus all the congestion of passengers having to cross the street and get on the taxis--which are dangerously overpacked with passengers. The other side of the street is a mess, too, but what else is new.

Sorry but I have not seen that area as much of a problem. Whereas 2nd road heading north from then flyover is gridlock most times of day up to Soi16 because of illegal parking and cart vendors. Combine the two routes and the fare will undoubtably go to 20b.

Simple.

Ban private vehicles on Beach Road from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Tai and only allow commercial deliveries at off-peak times, motor bikes and Baht buses access.

And where do you suggest I can drive my car coming from Naklua to Pattaya Tai ? You want me to drive up to Sukhumvit every time ?

Simple.

Ban private vehicles on Beach Road from Pattaya Klang to Pattaya Tai and only allow commercial deliveries at off-peak times, motor bikes and Baht buses access.

And where do you suggest I can drive my car coming from Naklua to Pattaya Tai ? You want me to drive up to Sukhumvit every time ?

I would have thought that Third Road would be your best bet

Hi, Pegman. Aren't you paying 20 baht already to get to Jomtien? I usually drive but sometimes take a baht taxi from Central Festival. Have to pay 10 baht when you get on at Central Festival and the baht taxi takes you to Walking Street corner and kicks you off. Then you walk across the street to The Smart Kids School and get another baht taxi to take you to Jomtien--another 10 baht. My point is the area where the baht taxis congregate is very congested. You are right that it is 3 lanes but the baht taxis are always lined up in the first lane--which is illegal as it is painted red and white. The second lane is also usually blocked with other baht buses that are waiting to get in line to park and other baht buses trying to leave at the same time. That leaves one lane for traffic. If you tried, I doubt you could come up with a worse system as far as the baht taxis go with them having to get in line in the front and then back up as each truck leaves. What a dumb system and so much wasted time for the taxis doing all that needless maneuvering and waiting their turn. Why not just keep the passengers you pick up on Beach Road and continue to Jomtien--picking up more passengers as you go? Instead of so many baht taxis fighting for passengers on only a few routes, why not send some baht taxis on regular routes down other unserved roads like Jomtien Second Road and the Pratamnak roads?

Simple.

Sacrifices have to made - live with it.

No need to touch Sukhumvit, use your imagination.

Simple.

I would have thought that Third Road would be your best bet

Or soi Yumi/Third Road, or Klang and soi Buakhau, depending on where he starts in Naklua...... but he knows that anyway, he is just being obtuse.

What is the problem, the Mayor and his million baht study showed if he widen Beach road the problem would be solved. Isn't there a police station on Soi 9,? what are they doing.. too busy collecting their tea money from all the citation being issue for minor offenses while every other major violation is being done in front of them.

Hi, Pegman. Aren't you paying 20 baht already to get to Jomtien? I usually drive but sometimes take a baht taxi from Central Festival. Have to pay 10 baht when you get on at Central Festival and the baht taxi takes you to Walking Street corner and kicks you off. Then you walk across the street to The Smart Kids School and get another baht taxi to take you to Jomtien--another 10 baht. My point is the area where the baht taxis congregate is very congested. You are right that it is 3 lanes but the baht taxis are always lined up in the first lane--which is illegal as it is painted red and white. The second lane is also usually blocked with other baht buses that are waiting to get in line to park and other baht buses trying to leave at the same time. That leaves one lane for traffic. If you tried, I doubt you could come up with a worse system as far as the baht taxis go with them having to get in line in the front and then back up as each truck leaves. What a dumb system and so much wasted time for the taxis doing all that needless maneuvering and waiting their turn. Why not just keep the passengers you pick up on Beach Road and continue to Jomtien--picking up more passengers as you go? Instead of so many baht taxis fighting for passengers on only a few routes, why not send some baht taxis on regular routes down other unserved roads like Jomtien Second Road and the Pratamnak roads?

So true! This is a major traffic problem. They pick you up on Beach Road and then after the Walking Street sign they dump you. Passengers who want to go to Jomtien must then walk across a dangerous street to get to the other side, and then cross another dangerous street to get another bhat bus that is waiting in front of the school. They should turn right and not stop and go to Jomtien (20 bhat is fine for that trip). It might help if the people doing the re-organization would start fining bhat bus drivers who refuse to pick up passengers and only cruise around looking for a "sucker" to rip off. Way too many bhat buses are empty. In fairness, one reason they have the system in front of the school is, no doubt, to make sure buses are full. But the system sucks. Introducing a safe and reliable bus transportation system that takes people back and forth from Pattaya to Jomtien would be one partial solution.