Thai democracy: 'wrong buttons in wrong holes'

webfact

Thai democracy: 'wrong buttons in wrong holes'
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha went out of his way to address a question posed by ABC Australia's Southeast Asia correspondent Samantha Hawley, at a press conference in Government House yesterday, by getting down from the podium and walking up to her to ask what her question was, as he could not hear her clearly.

The reporter asked if he knew that the foreign community feared Thailand would not achieve a true democracy under the new charter, which is being drafted.

Prayut asked what democracy was in her view. If it was about having freedom, then today people can go around freely, he said, adding Thailand must reform its charter.

As an analogy, he undid some buttons of his shirt to explain to the reporter in English that Thai democracy was a case of wrong buttons in the wrong holes. He said the result was not only the shirt looks wrinkled but even the trouser looks untidy.

Prayut urged the Thai media to explain to foreigners about the invoking of Article 44.

He insisted the law would be applied in a constructive way, as |the law gives officials a mechanism to deal with perpetrators of wrongdoings without the hassle of red |tape.

"I am not a ruthless person. Please explain to foreign countries or they may think that I am intoxicated with power,'' he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thai-democracy-wrong-buttons-in-wrong-holes-30257189.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-01

Sounds intimidating? He could have asked for the reporter to speak up?

Undoing shirt buttons? Then describing buttons to be like democracy? Why does he have to ask a reporter what democracy is?

Do elections form part of Thai democracy?

What's wrong in asking?

Today, many people speak out of context.

Why not just make sure?

" They may think I'm intoxicated with power ! "

Now, just why would anyone think that ? giggle.gif

I am sure everyone sometime in thier life has dealt with an intoxicated person. A drunk will never admit that he has had to much and deny he is intoxicated as he stumbles and falls around. I think Prayuth needs a coffee and a lay down.

https://youtu.be/Xvj4Ud-RKrM

post-122647-0-26625300-1427847846_thumb.

• Like 2

I will look up definitions for democracy shortly. But my opinion on it is that indeed it is often misunderstood.

Fundamentally democracy means to me a freely and democratically elected government. But there are conditions attached to it. A proper system of Checks and Balances, transparent, upholding of the Constitution, care for minority rights etc.

The democratic election seems to be the easiest to achieve, what comes after that is the hard part.

Hi Stephan, Fundamentally you are right, But...this is Thailand and one thing Thailand has Never had is a free and fair election.. I don't know how long and how many elections you have lived through here in LOS but one thing for sure corruption was and is rife, from buying votes through the village headman scheme or from the fact that a certain party cannot send candidates into Issan without violent threats and actions.. so where is the democracy when a candidate cannot contest a seat.? Let me tell you my thought on this.. The Thai peoples deserve to be under martial law.. they sold their votes for a mere 500 bahts.. They deserve a military junta.. because like childrens they need to be spanked sometimes... But the beauty of it all is that whatever the apologists complain about , Prayuth is doing a great job .. and when he does hand power back to the people .. Maybe.... then, we can have some shape of democracy in this country we farangs have grown to love....wai.gif

• Like 2

The Nation fails to report that he makes a complete tit of himself while doing so. Compared to Big Tu's English ability Yingluck seems like a Nobel Laureate. View the country's embarrassment below.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=879087208816405

Ouch.
very arrogant man, "I know everything" This was just one lone female aussie journalist, wait till he gets to the UN where he will be eaten alive.

The UN???? He'd be in more danger if he were savaged by a dead sheep....

• Like 2

I will look up definitions for democracy shortly. But my opinion on it is that indeed it is often misunderstood.

Fundamentally democracy means to me a freely and democratically elected government. But there are conditions attached to it. A proper system of Checks and Balances, transparent, upholding of the Constitution, care for minority rights etc.

The democratic election seems to be the easiest to achieve, what comes after that is the hard part.

Hi Stephan, Fundamentally you are right, But...this is Thailand and one thing Thailand has Never had is a free and fair election.. I don't know how long and how many elections you have lived through here in LOS but one thing for sure corruption was and is rife, from buying votes through the village headman scheme or from the fact that a certain party cannot send candidates into Issan without violent threats and actions.. so where is the democracy when a candidate cannot contest a seat.? Let me tell you my thought on this.. The Thai peoples deserve to be under martial law.. they sold their votes for a mere 500 bahts.. They deserve a military junta.. because like childrens they need to be spanked sometimes... But the beauty of it all is that whatever the apologists complain about , Prayuth is doing a great job .. and when he does hand power back to the people .. Maybe.... then, we can have some shape of democracy in this country we farangs have grown to love....wai.gif

I have not heard Prayuth blaming vote buying as a reason for the coup. Excuses like stopping a civil war and people killing each other, yes but vote buying, never mentioned. Perhaps the General knows better than you that vote buying is on all sides of the political divide and the EC and other local and foreign election observers have done a reasonable good job. Let's not forget the eagle eyes of the NACC and the opposition always ready to petition courts on vote buying. Rather weak premise to blame vote buying and by the way, the PM has not done anything worthy yet.

• Like 1

I have not heard Prayuth blaming vote buying as a reason for the coup. Excuses like stopping a civil war and people killing each other, yes but vote buying, never mentioned. Perhaps the General knows better than you that vote buying is on all sides of the political divide and the EC and other local and foreign election observers have done a reasonable good job. Let's not forget the eagle eyes of the NACC and the opposition always ready to petition courts on vote buying. Rather weak premise to blame vote buying and by the way, the PM has not done anything worthy yet.

Eric - you are probably correct about vote buying. However, do you consider that not doing anything to stop the increasingly murderous attacks on protesters, the judiciary and anyone who dared speak out against the government, or making any attempt to catch and prosecute the culprits acceptable? Do you support those red shirt / UDD / PTP officials who applauded the murder of children on rally stages and who called for the setting up of separate Lanna state?

If you do, then that's your entitled opinion. If you don't then what would you have proposed when the caretaker PTP government and RTP were doing nothing to restore law and order?

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

The Nation fails to report that he makes a complete tit of himself while doing so. Compared to Big Tu's English ability Yingluck seems like a Nobel Laureate. View the country's embarrassment below.

He reminds me of some run of the mill semi-crazy dictator of some poor and under developed African nation.

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

That's your opinion. The clueless bumbling Yingluck was considerable worse on her attempted interviews, even with the fawning Jonathan "Richard" Head.

At least he doesn't try bursting into tears and thanking everyone three times before going off and laughing behind their backs because she's too dumb to realize the camera's still rolling.

The Aussie woman seems to state that a democracy must have an elected upper house. Guess she better go and tell the to the UK, Canada, Ireland etc that they ain't democracies. Her English language ability was exactly pristine btw. Looks like she went looking for an argument.

What is it with Aussie media thinking they can teach the world about democracy? Maybe they should look at how the real Australians have been treated by the new comers and think about putting their own house in order.

Edited by Baerboxer

Ouch.

I bag the regime and the general relentlessly and I think they deserve it for what they have done and the rights and freedoms they have forbidden. But I won't bag his English - for a non native speaker it wasn't too bad. He's no Abhisit, Yingluck or Thaksin and he did come across as abrupt and arrogant but I think his effort to communicate in a language that he is obviously no comfortable with was admirable. Plus I don't bag anyone who has better English than I have Thai.

Ouch.

I bag the regime and the general relentlessly and I think they deserve it for what they have done and the rights and freedoms they have forbidden. But I won't bag his English - for a non native speaker it wasn't too bad. He's no Abhisit, Yingluck or Thaksin and he did come across as abrupt and arrogant but I think his effort to communicate in a language that he is obviously no comfortable with was admirable. Plus I don't bag anyone who has better English than I have Thai.

I agree, i thought hearing him make a genuine attempt to speak English cast him in a decent light, and made him sound slightly softer and personable than his normal appearance.

That's your opinion. The clueless bumbling Yingluck was considerable worse on her attempted interviews, even with the fawning Jonathan "Richard" Head.

At least he doesn't try bursting into tears and thanking everyone three times before going off and laughing behind their backs because she's too dumb to realize the camera's still rolling.

The Aussie woman seems to state that a democracy must have an elected upper house. Guess she better go and tell the to the UK, Canada, Ireland etc that they ain't democracies. Her English language ability was exactly pristine btw. Looks like she went looking for an argument.

What is it with Aussie media thinking they can teach the world about democracy? Maybe they should look at how the real Australians have been treated by the new comers and think about putting their own house in order.

Don't know where ya from Box but in Australia we have adopted this idea called critical thinking and yes the reporter was trying to invite the general into a bit of critical debate in the tradition of the:

'Socratic method , also known as method of elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is named after the classical Greek philosopher Socrates. It is a form of inquiry and discussion between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to illuminate ideas. It is a dialectical method, often involving a discussion in which the defense of one point of view is questioned; one participant may lead another to contradict themself in some way, thus strengthening the inquirer's own point.'

Now as you continually write posts that show that you prefer government by dictatorship and show that you don't value critical thinking or freedom of speech or assembly it is easy to see why you display such ignorance and misunderstanding.

​And you understanding of Australian history is even worse than you understanding of contemporary Thailand when it comes to the tragic history of the Aboriginals.

Ouch.
very arrogant man, "I know everything" This was just one lone female aussie journalist, wait till he gets to the UN where he will be eaten alive.

+ 1clap2.gif I have a sense the international media will be waiting

• Like 1

OK. No one here has a vote in matter. The majority of the opinions on this forum "against" 44... have no say in the matter. Now, the real question that has to be asked is, "Do Thais even care if 44 is invoked?" For the average man or woman on the street... I'd say no. Thailand and especially Thai law needs a few years to adjust to reality. It will not happen without a strongman in power. I'd say he needs 10 years to do it.

It could become a catchphrase I suppose.. Is anyone here old enough to remember the old joke about the vietnamese hooker and the enthusiastic American GI. He was pleased to hear the lovely girl shouting out loudly while he was making passionate love to her. When he later asked the Mamasan what she was shouting, the Mamasan translated: "Wrong hole! Wrong Hole!"

Well, at least he didn't throw a banana skin at her or felt like punching the person in the face for asking a question? But you have got to admit that some of his actions at press conferences are of a injudicious person with little patience. He also want's Thai rubber farmers to sell their product on Mars to reduce stock piles; he also said he won't change his style, "because I am a person with multiple personalities.” Again recently he sarcastically told reporters "could execute journalists who asked questions” That’s not opinion that is what the General is saying.

The greatest failure by this regime is,’ failure to grasp that the Shinawatras are only a symbol of much wider demands for social change and equality is the central flaw in their plan'. Even Sarit knew that. Sarit style and his power seeking are similar to the Generals.

Do you know what the General's interpretation of democracy is? I don't. Just from what has been reported the action of the General, as a head of Government, has a lot to learn in handling the media.

The delivery of a democratic political system will begin the delivery of equity, education, social change, fair distribution of wealth. So it’s not what it is it is what it will bring.