It's the hot season,how are you holding up.

I just have to laugh when I hear someone say a fan is all they need in this heat. I respect that statement just about as much as I do when you say you love the cheapest street food, enjoy taking the baht busses, and relish living in that one room slum dwelling. Are you sure the cost of something better isn't the real reason for your frugality? I do hope you convince yourself with your professed content.

• Like 2

Holding up just fine. I wear a brimmed hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and walk in the shade when possible. Drink plenty of non-alcoholic beverages and walk at a slow pace.

Get home, take of the sweaty clothes and turn on the floor fan and the a/c intermittently until the place cools down, then fan only.

I was OK till the last 15 km, just after noon. Then the goose bumps were setting in, I could feel shivers coming on, and I was struggling to get on and off the bike. I was grateful for a bit of rehydration and a calming Tiger

I was a bit like that about 3 years ago as I was planning to ride to BKK about 350 km away.

I managed the first 40 km and felt so bad I rode back home after hoovering 500 ml of Coca Cola. I was about 4 km from home and I was nearly falling off my bike and I stopped at a little Mom and Pop place.

They took my backpack and me off the bike and led me to a sort of table to lie down and offered me cold water. It took me 10 minutes to recover enough to ring my wife to come and get me. She did and somebody rode the bike home. I went to bed for a couple of hours with the a/c on and felt a bit better.

I was so dehydrated and I nearly fell of and that scared me. Now I drink lots of water and I am thinking of getting a spray bottle to fill with cool water andf spray myself after a stop and let it evaporate as I ride.

My normal ride is about 70km. At this time of year it's best to get back for 10:00hrs. One minute, cruising along at 32 km/h then wham, big weight on the shoulders, weak arms, legs like jelly then a 20 km/h struggle to get home. Barely have enough energy to put the bike on its stand then, loads of water and a long lie down. Once recovered, it's beer time?

• Like 2

11;53, beach front bungalow,klong khoi beach Koh chang,at present i would estimate it is about 29/30c,with a nice sea breeze,i am sitting on my veranda,ocean is about 25 metres away,drinking a cold beer lao,very few people here,lot's of shady trees,the lapping of the waves,am i missing Kok prong,40c predicted for today there,HELL NO.

11;53, beach front bungalow,klong khoi beach Koh chang,at present i would estimate it is about 29/30c,with a nice sea breeze,i am sitting on my veranda,ocean is about 25 metres away,drinking a cold beer lao,very few people here,lot's of shady trees,the lapping of the waves,am i missing Kok prong,40c predicted for today there,HELL NO.

42 on my back patio Marko, 34 inside with fan !

• Like 1

42 on my back patio Marko, 34 inside with fan !

I know you are up in Petchabun too Charlie,42 already,wow,what will it be at about 4pm ,that always seems to be the hottest time of day,let me know later,not so i can gloat or anything of course.

From the UK Daily Express this morning.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/568569/Britain-blast-summer-sun-temperature-weather

I went outside to work at about 6.30 am this morning, it was 24C and cool and then later I found this headline.

I generally work outside from around 6 until 8.30 then come in for breakfast and from around 5 to 6 or 6.30 pm.

Like another poster it has been many years since I slept all night though I do catch an hour in the afternoons with the fan on max but it is still 36 most afternoons and the sweat rolls off me. I am too cheap to put the a/c on. Maybe next month when it gets around 42 or more.

Bought a new air-conditioner recently to replace the one in the living-room that is 7 years old. I must say its great turn the thing on 29 degrees with a fan and I am ok.

One AC finally gave up the ghost after 15 years, so I'm getting one of those new fangled inverter ones that people have been talking about here!

That prickly heat talc is good for that,but it packs a punch.

No truer words, said! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just don't get it on your gonads......

Did that once, the lower hanging parts of my anatomy were floating in sweat.

I thought it was just ordinary talc, found out it wasn't as soon as I tipped a load of it down my pants.

It's the sort of mistake you never make twice.

Marco, why would you leave KC and go to from heat suffering Phetchabun?

Unfortunately it is where my wife lives,i am really thinking next year to go somewhere cooler from march to june/july,this is complicated by the fact that my visa,is due for renewal in april,as for my wife she is quite happy for me to go away for this period,and my father in law positivley over the moon.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

what does LOS mean?

'Troppo' eh Marko. Very much an Aussie term in the Northern Territory (Oz for outsiders). AKA the 'build-up'. Mango madness et al. Fifteen years and I did not get used to it. Moved to Tassie in my old age for the seasons. Nice for a decade. Swore I'd never need a passport again. Now........an event occurs.....new passport, living for whatever time I have in the LOS. Personally, I simply accept - without necessarily enjoying - the seasonal variations. Hell, even the Thais don't enjoy this time of the year. Keep good all.

Lots of Sweat...................coffee1.gif

tongue.png

I live near the sea and I go and swim several times a week , water little bit fresh and good wind ; also eat watermelon, very refreshing, 15 bahts one kilo

I have lived 12 years in black Africa when baby and teen, so heat is not too hard for me

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mind over matter, The heat does not mind and I do not matter. hit-the-fan.gif alt=hit-the-fan.gif> Not sure why people run ac and a fan ? just turn the temp on ac as needed. At night I do 24 and during the day 27. works great.

I can run the aircon at a higher temp when I use the fan too. But its one of those ceiling fans that hangs above my desk (big rotor ones). Combine that with the setting of 29 on my aircon keeps me cool. Actually quite comfortable like that. Just went to the market.. was sweating like a pig..

29 is not a bad place to be, but i would probably prefer about 27 C with a fan to circulate.

It never fails to amaze me the number of people that treat their air cons as refrigeration plants. People who can't see that coming in from an ambient temperature of say, 38 C into an air cooled room of 18 C really isn't good for you, need to reconsider. For your own good.....................wink.png

Sure, everyone has their own comfort zones, but for aircon to work, it only needs to be a few degrees below the outside ambient.

Just to add a little information to the thread (if it hasn't been done already), the highest recorded temperature in Thailand was in Uttaradit province on April 27, 1960 where it hit a balmy 44.05 C.

This is based on the average temperature during a 24 hour period, so it is taken in the range between min & max temperatures.

An excellent site for those interested is http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

For local forecasts you will find your provence under the Weather tab.

Generally up to about 2pm we use fans indoors, 2pm onwards, the A/c goes on at 27 with fan for better circulation, that goes off on timer at around 6.30pm back on for two hours at sleep time, then fan kicks in again.

I just have to laugh when I hear someone say a fan is all they need in this heat. I respect that statement just about as much as I do when you say you love the cheapest street food, enjoy taking the baht busses, and relish living in that one room slum dwelling. Are you sure the cost of something better isn't the real reason for your frugality? I do hope you convince yourself with your professed content.

I don't have any problems right now infront of the computer with only a fan on me and i'm in "hot as hell" Ubon right now. The issues start when i have to move more than 3 meters from the fan... then i start to sweat like a stuck pig. And not everyone has 40-60k baht to "waste" on rent for a 3 bedroom luxury apartment in say Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya.

• Like 1

29 is not a bad place to be, but i would probably prefer about 27 C with a fan to circulate.

It never fails to amaze me the number of people that treat their air cons as refrigeration plants. People who can't see that coming in from an ambient temperature of say, 38 C into an air cooled room of 18 C really isn't good for you, need to reconsider. For your own good.....................wink.png

Sure, everyone has their own comfort zones, but for aircon to work, it only needs to be a few degrees below the outside ambient.

And what's the problem with entering a cold room from outside where it is hot? I really do hope you aren't talking about "but you get sick"...

• Like 1

thumbsup.gif i may understand what you mean !!!! i am 60..... 25 years now in thailand and since last year problems started with my body here in cha- am even i am leaving near the sea .. i am not alone many others gays have problems like ... lips burning ....muscles pain ..... iching.... fungus in feed ..

many have muscles pain or simply pain .... some have red skin ...iching in he ass aera

some as the piroty bacteria

i for now have my lips burning i do nots tay in the sun exept for swim in pool .... i have all kind off medicine but not really help ......

my question exept to stay all day in air con..... what kind of things do we need to do to stay cool in the body???? ... my lady told me to shower a lot during the day .......

Mind over matter, The heat does not mind and I do not matter. hit-the-fan.gif alt=hit-the-fan.gif> Not sure why people run ac and a fan ? just turn the temp on ac as needed. At night I do 24 and during the day 27. works great.

I can run the aircon at a higher temp when I use the fan too. But its one of those ceiling fans that hangs above my desk (big rotor ones). Combine that with the setting of 29 on my aircon keeps me cool. Actually quite comfortable like that. Just went to the market.. was sweating like a pig..

nobody has in his home a/c capacity installed to achieve 18ºC when the ambient temperature is 38ºC. my installed capacity in the main house (ex pool area) is 193,000 btu/h. only on four occasions i used all units full blast with the temperature reaching inside inside 22-23ºC at variable outside temperatures between 29 and 33ºC.

when i lived in Saudi Arabia it was quite normal to move back and forth from 42-45ºC (and even higher temps) to airconditioned areas of 22-24ºC without any health problems.

Any body want to come and mix some concrete with me...and ill show you what HOT is all about.

Up here in gods country it was 42 degrees today and no shade.

PS, and i dont have air-con...maybe thats why im losing weight.

Have a Nice Day.

Thanks for the offer but I've been mixing my own concrete!

I seem to have acclimatised, but I start early in the cool of the morning, avoid the midday sun (Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.) then do a stint just before sundown.

Latest task was easy, could lay blocks most of the day because I was under shade, and the painting today was easy enough, even if I was sweating a bit.

I've been working when even the locals have given up, bloody lightweights! I am rather a hard taskmaster though, even to myself.

I should point out that there will be considerably less of me going back to the UK in a few weeks!

I don't have any problems right now infront of the computer with only a fan on me and i'm in "hot as hell" Ubon right now. The issues start when i have to move more than 3 meters from the fan... then i start to sweat like a stuck pig. And not everyone has 40-60k baht to "waste" on rent for a 3 bedroom luxury apartment in say Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya.

I feel for you bro, but I purposely do not live in the tourist traps you mention and I pay only B8k/mo for a very nice 4-bdr/3bth 3 story row house in an upscale neighborhood in the middle of the largest city in the South. Therefore, I don't need to be rich to afford to pay the extra electricity for a/c comfort. It seems to me, you only have to be smarter than the problem.