British Prince Harry arrives in Australia to serve in army

webfact

British Prince Harry arrives in Australia to serve in army

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Prince Harry arrived in Australia on Monday to begin four weeks of training with the Australian army in the final mission of the British royal's decade-long military career.

The fourth in line to the British throne, who will soon shift to fifth place with the birth of his brother Prince William's second child, arrived at Sydney International Airport dressed in army fatigues on a Qantas flight from London, television footage showed.

The only scheduled public appearance of his Australian deployment will take place later Monday 300 kilometers (185 miles) away in the national capital Canberra where he will lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The 30-year-old veteran of two tours in Afghanistan will then explore the World War I and Afghanistan galleries at the Australian War Memorial before reporting for duty to Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin, who is Australia's Defense Force Chief.

Captain Harry Wales, as he is known in the British army, will be embedded with a number of Australian army units and regiments in the cities of Sydney, Darwin and Perth.

He will also attend centenary commemorations on April 25, Anzac Day, of the ill-fated World War I Gallipoli campaign in Turkey in which Australian and New Zealand forces under British command suffered heavy casualties.

The prince leaves the British army in June.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-06

You can give them to Americans then because whether it be the late Diana or William and Kate they can stop the whole country in its tracks with a visit. Of course Americans don't have to pay for them, LOL.

It don't take much to stop us Americans in our tracks....it can be Kim Kardashian, Talyor Swift, or even Psy of the Gangnam Style video. But we do lose interest quick and move on to the next celebrity of minute. w00t.gif

Oh, the Americans do have a fascination with the Royals. I vividly remember Harry's last visit to Las Vegas. And if they have problems they can always seek refuge in Canada.

• Like 2

Wasting Australian tax payers money on his training when he is going to resign his commission at the end. What is the point and why not spend this money on another young aussie officer who is in it for the long haul. No time for these royals as they are a waste of money and past thier use by date.

But at least the Aussies won't need to shell out for shampoo for him.

I wonder if they deloused his hair before they let him in?

Wasting Australian tax payers money on his training when he is going to resign his commission at the end. What is the point and why not spend this money on another young aussie officer who is in it for the long haul. No time for these royals as they are a waste of money and past thier use by date.

So you're telling me that in your final year of service you stopped attending or partaking in any training or seminars? You were so righteous that you didn't want to waste taxpayers money that could have been used for new officers? If so, I salute you sir. BTW 10 years is not exactly a 'short stint' in any career.

This is nothing more than a royal PR stunt underwritten by the government les by our bunyip aristocratic loving pro monarchist PM.

Not denying Harry's commitment and service, but being in oz in this capacity and what he represents is archaic.

• Like 2

The 30-year-old veteran of two tours in Afghanistan ...

Oh, the Americans do have a fascination with the Royals. I vividly remember Harry's last visit to Las Vegas. And if they have problems they can always seek refuge in Canada.

Yes, they should add his tour in Las Vegas to his resume ... and so much more. At least he's not wearing the uniform he had with the Nazi insignia.

prince_harry_nazi.jpg

Well, he's only a short flight away from his dad in NZ....so I have heard whistling.gif

He's got a lot in common with "his ancestor" Edward IV apparently. It's this "lineage" through which the German/Greek/Sottish House of "Windsor" claims the English throne. Check on the latest research on why Edward IV looked nothing like his dad and brother.

Funnily enough a descendant of the Plantagenet family lives in Australia - and actually has a better claim than the current occupants!

I don't keep track of the "Royals", other notables, celebrities or so called Stars.

What they do, where they serve, say or act out is none of my business.

What is my business is keeping my own house in order.

Don't be a hater. A lot of people join the military for only one tour but they still get trained up.

I thought it was the poms who were the whingers? This is good PR for the Austrian forces and will probably be good for recruitment. Stop moaning.

So you're telling me that in your final year of service you stopped attending or partaking in any training or seminars? You were so righteous that you didn't want to waste taxpayers money that could have been used for new officers? If so, I salute you sir. BTW 10 years is not exactly a 'short stint' in any career.
Final MONTH not YEAR. No I never stopped training or doing my job, but when I gave my notice I was never sent or expected to be sent on a junket across the other side of the world when there were others who were going to serve on. I spent my last few weeks in my position, doing civilian repat courses, medical and dental boards and basically preparing for discharge. Also integrated into the Individual emergency reserve. Edited by chooka

I thought it was the poms who were the whingers? This is good PR for the Austrian forces and will probably be good for recruitment. Stop moaning.

Yeah! And maybe the Austrians can bring in Arnold Schwarzenegger too!

• Like 1

Don't be a hater. A lot of people join the military for only one tour but they still get trained up.

Not a hater and have respect for him as a serviceman. I respect all servicemen and women of all nations, they serve thier countries with great pride. I salute Capt Harry and I served myself and stood proud to be a digger. That has nothing to do with my post where I said the money being spent on his training after he has given his resignation would have been better spent on another officer who is soldiering on for his country.

Couple of years ago I saw an interview with Harry when he got hit with the big question of when he wuz gonna get hitched, and I thought his reply wuz rather direct for a royal. "It requires a lot of a person to marry to a chap of my circumstance because it's rather difficult to fit the post, to suit the position."

PRINCE-HARRY-edit.jpg

Prince Harry smiles from onboard the HMAS Leeuwin during the 2013 International Fleet Review, which commemorates the 100 year anniversary of the Royal Australian Navy’s fleet arriving in Sydney, on October 5, 2013/AFP

It wuz something like that what he said, so I do have to paraphrase a bit, but he did say it in basically that way. Still looking for the exact quote but it's a hard time to find it. biggrin.png

Edited by Publicus

This is nothing more than a royal PR stunt underwritten by the government les by our bunyip aristocratic loving pro monarchist PM.

Not denying Harry's commitment and service, but being in oz in this capacity and what he represents is archaic.

Whats wrong with being pro monarchist. . Your views are hardy worth considering since you are in a very small minority. Especially in Thailand.

• Like 1

The 30-year-old veteran of two tours in Afghanistan ...

Yes, they should add his tour in Las Vegas to his resume ... and so much more. At least he's not wearing the uniform he had with the Nazi insignia.

prince_harry_nazi.jpg

He should stop over in BKK on the way home and wear that uniform to the Chula grad ceremony, it would go down a treat

• Like 2

You have to understand where Chooka comes from. Victoria, home of the whingers. No matter what you give them, they will moan and never have a good thing to say about anyone.

• Like 1

Couple of years ago I saw an interview with Harry when he got hit with the big question of when he wuz gonna get hitched, and I thought his reply wuz rather direct for a royal. "It requires a lot of a person to marry to a chap of my circumstance because it's rather difficult to fit the post, to suit the position."

PRINCE-HARRY-edit.jpg

Prince Harry smiles from onboard the HMAS Leeuwin during the 2013 International Fleet Review, which commemorates the 100 year anniversary of the Royal Australian Navy’s fleet arriving in Sydney, on October 5, 2013/AFP

It wuz something like that what he said, so I do have to paraphrase a bit, but he did say it in basically that way. Still looking for the exact quote but it's a hard time to find it. biggrin.png

wuz ?

You have to understand where Chooka comes from. Victoria, home of the whingers. No matter what you give them, they will moan and never have a good thing to say about anyone.

We are the envy of the entire country, the garden state, restaurant capital, melb cup, motor G.P, Australian Open, Grand prix, AFL grand final which comes with a public holiday, best surf beaches and the list goes on and on. We are a happy lot in the former capital of Australia.
  • Like 1