Seven Dangerous Days: 25 dead in day one of Songkran road chaos

webfact

Thai numbers dead is peanuts compared to Vietnam. Last time I visited in 2002 they said over 90,000 killed. They often put the deceased shoes by the side of the road and if you need a cheap set of footwear, there are heaps to choose from. I have just come back from visiting my wife in Kabinburi and there were 3 killed at the intersection near my hotel. I started CPR on one old man but was forced away by the bystanders who basically let him die. I wish I could teach basic life saving in Thailand but no one believes in it

Every year the traffic death rates during Songran are lower than average days' death rates. This probably due to the fact that the sheer numbers of vehicles on the roads slows down the flow of traffic so much that there are fewer people die in the accidents that do happen.

I would bet that the overall number of accidents and injuries are well above average though.

Edited by otherstuff1957

My wife was a Nurse for 25 years and says the numbers fed by Hospitals to the Authorities are promptly halved (at least) for public consumption. Also; by the end of the seven days the numbers will always be skewed to make it look like Chiang Mai and the North in general have the worst figures, as those in power always want Bangkok to look better behaved and incapable of poor behaviour.

• Like 2

Well, this is interesting. It would appear that the so-called “Seven Dangerous Days of the Songkran festival” is actually a myth!

It is consistently reported that Thailand's road deaths stand at around a consistent 26,000 per year. That is an average of around 71 deaths per day. The reported deaths during the last two Songkrans were 321 for 2013 and 322 for 2014.

That is an average of around 46 deaths per day.

So, according to the Government's own figures, it would appear that Songkran is actually a less dangerous period on Thailand's roads, not more!

Mind you, with this kind of behaviour going on, my motorcycle will remain locked up round the back for the duration.

Have a fun and safe Songkran everyone.

post-217391-0-53447200-1428663163_thumb.

• Like 1

on average over 26,000 people are killed in road accidents in Thailand per year. Divide that by 365 days and that is over 71 people killed per day on average. So either these dangerous days numbers are complete BS or Songkran is the safest time of the year to be on the road. I will go with BS numbers.

Well, I tink your numbers need one more good check.

Road fatalities in Thailand per year are only half of what you claim, approx. 12.000 - 13.000

If you really think Songkran is the safest time of the year, why dont you make a trip from say Khon Kaen via Kalasin, Yasothon to Ubon Ratchathani for example?

Should be fun !!!

I can guarantee you that you will see more than one deadly accident during that one single trip.

I believe that it makes no sense and serves no purpose to make a comment like you did.

Where do you get your road accident fatalities statistics from............Wiki, google etc.....Thai Govt. quote 26000 fatalities...at the accident scene....12K--13K would be acceptable IMO

If there's anyone out here who is a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists He/She could run advanced courses in Thailand, make a fortune. teach forward vision for hazards and bring back drivers safely to their Families. There must be many a Thai and Farang who would love to place that coveted badge on the front of their car/

• Like 1

My wife and I drove from Bangkok to Kampeng

pet,...Avoiding the high ways and just doing the normal roads, had only one near miss ,....saw a couple of morons but nothing unusual,...

Stopped to rest in a road hotel,....300 bth aircon room, Not to bad at all.

Tomorrow continuing to Sukhothai....fingers crossed....!

Best regards....

I had some bizarre Thai road rage today. Upon doing a U turn i came out in front of a motorbike who took umbridge at the fact I had slowed their path down. Rather than simply slow down a little until i picked up speed, the motorcyclist overtook me before cutting across me with an inch to spare as a gesture, flicking me the bird as he went.

I was driving he Toyota Hilux, he was driving a scooter. He was seemingly oblivious to the fact any collision would kill him and barely dent my car. I suspect it was a face thing.

I had some bizarre Thai road rage today. Upon doing a U turn i came out in front of a motorbike who took umbridge at the fact I had slowed their path down. Rather than simply slow down a little until i picked up speed, the motorcyclist overtook me before cutting across me with an inch to spare as a gesture, flicking me the bird as he went.

I was driving he Toyota Hilux, he was driving a scooter. He was seemingly oblivious to the fact any collision would kill him and barely dent my car. I suspect it was a face thing.

You must have cut him off... Thais don't get angry for no reason.

I`ve met plenty of Thais that get angry for no reason, but that`s another debate.

As for cutting him off, I probably did, through necessity. It`s so busy out there just now you simply have to make your move. My post relates to the fact the risk is all his in this game of chicken and it was seemingly beyond him. A scooter is not a vehicle to try and bully other road users in.

I`ve met plenty of Thais that get angry for no reason, but that`s another debate.

As for cutting him off, I probably did, through necessity. It`s so busy out there just now you simply have to make your move. My post relates to the fact the risk is all his in this game of chicken and it was seemingly beyond him. A scooter is not a vehicle to try and bully other road users in.

Was being sarcastic.. I have seen plenty, they have a reason. May be that the reason is insane but still have a reason.

I just don't leave BKK during this period.. value my life and the roads around BKK are clear of traffic in some parts.

Had a similar thing happen to me..Last year on my way up north I was brack checked by a fino while I was driving my truck on the Highway. Not sure if his intention was to die or scare me. Fino V Ford Ranger??

Edited by wow64
  • Like 1

Road toll hits 25 on first day of Songkran
The Nation

30257868-01_big.JPG?1428705605374

BANGKOK: -- ACCIDENTS claimed 25 lives and left 348 people injured on Thursday - the first of Songkran's so-called seven dangerous days on roads around the country.

All up, there were 324 road accidents on Thursday.

As millions of Thais hit the road to celebrate the traditional Thai New Year, the number of accidents and casualties during this period is particularly high each year.

In a bid to reduce the toll, relevant authorities have launched the "Seven Dangerous Days" of Songkran campaign to remind road users of the need to be particularly careful.

The Road Safety Directing Centre yesterday announced that drunk driving and speeding were the most common causes of accidents.

"And most accidents involve motorcycles," it said.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra yesterday kicked off a campaign to strictly adhere to traffic laws.

The campaign reminds people not to go beyond speed limits, cut in front of other vehicles, run red lights, and to avoiding drinking and driving.

"We hope to minimise road casualties," Sukhumbhand said.

On Thursday, there were 23 road accidents in Bangkok that caused eight deaths and 22 injuries.

Traffic out of Bangkok has increased, as a huge number of people begin their trips home ahead of the official Songkran holidays on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Heavier traffic was reported on Phetkasem Road, the major route to the country's South, and also on Phaholyothin Road, the major route to the country's North.

Traffic police were deployed to facilitate traffic flow.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration senior official Pol Colonel Pichai Krengwuttanasiri warned Songkran revellers against stealing water from fire hydrants.

Water, water everywhere

Thais usually splash water for fun during the Songkran Festival.

"We have often received reports that people open the hydrants to get water and even sell water during Songkran," Pichai said.

He said such an action constituted a criminal offence. Offenders will face up to three years in jail and a maximum fine of Bt6,000, he warned.

In addition, he said people must stay clear of fire hydrants, as firefighters might need to access them.

"When you park your car, make sure that they are at least five metres away from fire hydrants," he said.

According to Pichai, there are some 13,500 fire hydrants across the capital.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-toll-hits-25-on-first-day-of-Songkran-30257868.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-11

"A scooter is not a vehicle to try and bully other road users in. " But the possibility of a handgun being under the seat is real and he maybe crazy enough to use it!

I just drove back from Bang Saray to Jomtien and had the same number of near-death experiences as usual.....averaging one incident per kilometre. So I'd say the holiday carnage hasn't really started yet. coffee1.gif

Top marks to the Thai driver who didn't see the huge yellow service truck with flashing lights parked in the right hand lane and slammed the brakes on just in time. Despite the fact that you had 300mtrs of clear unobstructed view to see the truck, you obviously thought it was going to move for you rather than you simply changing lanes to avoid any drama.

My most boggling experience was south of Lampang. Came to a passing lane and pulled out beside the truck in front of me to overtke when a maniac overtook me ie in the opposing lane. This was DESPITE THE ONCOMING DRIVER IN PLAIN VIEW. Had that driver not braked sharply the resulting high speed impact would also have taken us out. The bad driver made no attempt to slow down and go behind me.

As I said, boggling.

I do wish they wouldn't do these daily updates.

It would be much more fun if they did it after Songkran as a sort of top 7 deadliest days count down

Tho after day 6 most farang would have worked out what the top death day is, I bet most Thais would be waiting with baited breath.

Get Tony Blackburn to do the voice over... Straight in this week at number 7 we have Tuesday with 24 death's

Followed closely by Friday with 35.... Dun dun dun dun... Falling 4 places from last years number 2 to this weeks number 5 we have Saturday

etc, etc ,etc.

It would be more fun? When is the loss of life a fun thing to hear about?

• Like 2

Yesterday, whilst driving through a fairly busy Mae Rim, mid morning:

The woman/pickup truck in front of me sees that her lane is blocked by another pickup truck that is stopped, perfectly positioned and signalling a right turn. So she steers part way to the inside lane, brakes slightly, changes her mind and resumes her original course and, inexplicably, accelerates. The impact pushed the stationary pickup truck into oncoming traffic where it was unavoidably hit by two cars. Talk about having a bad day, the poor guy was doing everything right and he got slammed by three vehicles!

I tried to figure out what was going through her mind and even stopped to gawp for five minutes. Soon the police arrived and procedures were followed but the instigator of all of this remained in her vehicle, until that is the police man opened the door and she fell out onto the road, as p*ssed as a f**t.

Be careful out there, we live in dangerous times.

I do wish they wouldn't do these daily updates.

It would be much more fun if they did it after Songkran as a sort of top 7 deadliest days count down

Tho after day 6 most farang would have worked out what the top death day is, I bet most Thais would be waiting with baited breath.

Get Tony Blackburn to do the voice over... Straight in this week at number 7 we have Tuesday with 24 death's

Followed closely by Friday with 35.... Dun dun dun dun... Falling 4 places from last years number 2 to this weeks number 5 we have Saturday

etc, etc ,etc.

you have a vivid imagination

on average over 26,000 people are killed in road accidents in Thailand per year. Divide that by 365 days and that is over 71 people killed per day on average. So either these dangerous days numbers are complete BS or Songkran is the safest time of the year to be on the road. I will go with BS numbers.

The official road toll is taken from the scene of the accident

If you make it to hospital then die You are NOT a road toll statistic facepalm.gif

Is your comment really true? Until 2013 government released stats averaged around 12k p.a. then a senior government official came out and stated 26k p.a. My understanding was the large increase in reported road deaths was due to government including those who later died in hospital.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

Understand the first day stats as died at the scene of the accident, but numbers may increase later as majority of deaths are motorbike drivers in rural areas, therefore total numbers not immediately recorded.

Edited by simple1

It makes sense to me that the road death toll is down during Songkran. I know that I am more cautious during this period, and I expect many others are too.

The fact is that all those incredible dangerous drivers out there are even more likely to be totally impaired and impatient or showing off during that week.

So the speed comes down and extra caution is applied.

The official road toll is taken from the scene of the accident

If you make it to hospital then die You are NOT a road toll statistic facepalm.gif

Correct. You can add one death to the stats. Relative of my wife was crushed by a reversing lorry. Rushed to hospital pronounced D.O.A. The corpse was taken home and burial rites commenced. No Police were called or informed. Driver admitted liability 50K baht compensation was paid to the widow. No further action.

• Like 2