Passenger who lost wallet at Phuket Airport given the runaround

webfact

Passenger who lost wallet at Phuket Airport given the runaround
Nattapat Tuarob

1429261615_1-org.jpg
Tantai Wongsaeree was frustated at the lack of attention he received from offiials at Phuket International Airport.

PHUKET: -- Questions have been raised as to what the correct procedure should be if anyone should lose or have an item stolen whilst at Phuket International Airport, especially when they are on a departing flight.

The issue was raised by Phuketian Tantai Wongsaeree who decided to contact The Phuket News after losing his wallet in the departure lounge of the airport and was passed from pillar to post in his attempt to get his wallet back.

Mr Tantai told The Phuket News that on March 24 he was at the branch of Subway in the departure lounge whilst waiting with his mother for a flight to Bangkok when he lost his wallet.

“I was sitting at Subway with my mum when I got up in a rush to take our bags to the departure gate. I saw a Chinese woman quickly sat in the chair but didn't pay much attention to it,” he said.

“When I was about to board the flight I realised that my wallet wasn̕t in my pocket.

“I rushed to the AOT staff at the x-ray point. They gave me a surprised look and told me to tell AirAsia staff to make an announcement, I was actually flying with Thai Smile.

“My flight was giving it̕s last boarding call so I quickly told the Thai Smile ground staff about the loss and said I would follow up on it when I returned to Phuket in the evening of March 27.

Mr Tantai said upon his return, he went straight to the Tourism Assisstance Centre. The staff there said they couldn̕t help and told him to go to the police.

“There was a policeman on duty, but he said he couldn't take a report,” said Mr Tantai.

“I talked to another two AOT staff, they told me to make a report at Tha Chat Chai Police Station and bring it back to the airport as this would allow the staff to check CCTV footage. However, this could only be done in working hours. It was already late at night.

“I don't think the procedure I was told to follow makes any sense.

“I don't expect to get my wallet back, but as a Phuketian, and as Phuket is a world class tourist destination, I would like to see better solutions to solve these kinds of problems.

“If I was a tourist and I had to leave Phuket, what would I do? How should these officials help them?

“There are two points I would like to make: I think procedures to help in situations like mine should be clearer and quicker. I was very dissatisfied by the blank faces of the AOT staff

“Secondly, the security systems at the airport should be more accessible. We are a tourist destination and we should be able to help people when and where they need it,” he said.

In light of Mr Tantai̕s̕ comments, The Phuket News contacted Tha Chat Chai Police Station̕s superintendent Pol Col Somchai Sanprasert, he said, “Actually, if there is a serious case it must fall under the responsibility of the case officer assigned at the station. However, if it is not serious then the police stationed at the Airport can take the report and help with airport procedures.

“Previously, police stationed at the airport were rotated, but due to manpower shortages officers who were previously stationed at the airport are requried to assist other police stations.

“Now if someone has a problem such as losing a wallet, police at the airport can help with airport procedures. However, if it is an incident which, for example, involves a fight or a theft the case officer from Tha Chat Chai Police Station will need to take care of the case. Police stationed at the airport will call the case officer on duty at Tha Chat Chai Police Station and the officer will go to the Airport to investigate.

“There was previously an idea to establish a police station at Phuket International Airport, but I don̕t think it's necessary. I think the best way is to way is to increase police manpower at the airport.

The Phuket News also spoke to Monruedee Ketphan, Director of Airports of Thailand, Phuket Office who said, “This is a problem that we are concerned about. I have talked to the superintendent of Tha Chat Chai and I understand the they are short of manpower. However, we will try to solve this issue as it affects Phuket̕s image. It will also help visitors who do have a problem at the airport.

“The superintendent has confirmed to me that police on duty at the aitport can deal with a case if it̕s not a criminal case. However, sometimes the officer on duty may not know that he can take the complaint, or sometimes the police might need to patrol with AOT staff. But please be assured we are trying to solve this problem.”

Meanwhile, Santi Pawai, Director of Tourism and Sports Authority of Thailand, Phuket Office told The Phuket News, “Tourists who need help at the aiport can contact the Tourist Assisstance Centre and the officer there will cooperate with the police.

“If you are in a hurry, we will follow up the case and send an update to you.

“There are several cases I can recall in the past where we have managed to return passenger's possessions.

“If you would like to contact TAC please call 076-327-100.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/passenger-who-lost-wallet-at-phuket-airport-given-the-runaround-51912.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-17

Sorry, but a grip on your life. Your wallet is nobodies responsibility but your own. This guy just made himself look like a dummy.

Sorry, you are heartless.

Losing your wallet can happen to anyone.

It might render you total helpless, in particular when you are in a foreign country and find yourself suddenly without money and without passport.

You cannot get on the aircraft, you cannot stay in a hotel, cannot buy food, cannot do a phonecall to get some help.

And in Phuket nobody helps you.

What would you do?

+ 1. Those without mistakes are allowed to throw the first stone.

• Like 2

Sorry, but a grip on your life. Your wallet is nobodies responsibility but your own. This guy just made himself look like a dummy.

It might render you total helpless, in particular when you are in a foreign country and find yourself suddenly without money and without passport.

You cannot get on the aircraft, you cannot stay in a hotel, cannot buy food, cannot do a phonecall to get some help.

What would you do?

'What would you do' - tough decision, not get on your flight to progress looking for you wallet, or board you flight and write off you money. Guy obviously had his passport and tickets else he could not have boarded. End of his holiday, likely not so much money, can cancel any credit cards. No big deal - he did the right thing and got on the flight.

• Like 1

There was previously an idea to establish a police station at Phuket International Airport, but I don̕t think it's necessary

The authorities expect 28 million passengers to pass through the airport this year, second only to Swampy. Domestic terminal, terminal 1 international, terminal 2 international, terminal X international and a new international terminal opening next year.

.... And they don't even have a police station at the airport cheesy.gif

Does Tha Chat Chai police station handle 28 million cases each year?? cheesy.gif

Being a police volunteer at the airport, I am biased in my opinion, but come on guys, howabout building just a little police station there? ...

• Like 1

Would the reaction from the authorities in Amsterdam airport be any different? I imagine they would tell you to check with lost and found.

I guess after doing lost paperwork the they would check if you need help and if necessary connect you with red cross or something similar

What would you do?

(Part of) the problem here was that he was late for flight as it was and had to leave. So nothing could be done anymore at that point in time. Now if you can not leave because your passport is missing the problem of 'having to leave in a hurry' is sorted. So plenty of time to go to the police station.

What would you do?

+ 1. Those without mistakes are allowed to throw the first stone.

"+ 1. Those without mistakes are allowed to throw the first stone. "

But wouldn't that be the end of Thai Visa forums?

“I rushed to the AOT staff at the x-ray point"

"I quickly told the Thai Smile ground staff about the loss"

"Mr Tantai said upon his return, he went straight to the Tourism Assisstance Centre.The staff there said they couldn̕t help and told him to go to the police."

“There was a policeman on duty, but he said he couldn't take a report,” said Mr Tantai"

Maybe he should have went to Subway and asked if it was handed in, or found by a staff member ?

• Like 1

There was previously an idea to establish a police station at Phuket International Airport, but I don̕t think it's necessary

The authorities expect 28 million passengers to pass through the airport this year, second only to Swampy. Domestic terminal, terminal 1 international, terminal 2 international, terminal X international and a new international terminal opening next year.

.... And they don't even have a police station at the airport cheesy.gif

Does Tha Chat Chai police station handle 28 million cases each year?? cheesy.gif

Being a police volunteer at the airport, I am biased in my opinion, but come on guys, howabout building just a little police station there? ...

I absolutely agree in that the airport need a Police station, but wait isn't Police and Immigration under the same department in Thailand, which in my opinion they shouldn't be.

So you have never lost anything that you would like the person who found it to turn it in to a proper "lost and found"?

(Part of) the problem here was that he was late for flight as it was and had to leave. So nothing could be done anymore at that point in time. Now if you can not leave because your passport is missing the problem of 'having to leave in a hurry' is sorted. So plenty of time to go to the police station.

Probably not. As mentioned in the report, the police station that covers the airport is at Tha Chat Chai, right next to Sarasin Bridge at the far north of the island.

That police station is no doubt, very useful for incidents at the Tha Chat Chai checkpoint, but hardly much good for the airport.

When someone needs to report an incident that occurs at the airport, such as losing their wallet or luggage, they have to make a police report at Tha Chat Chai, (eg for insurance purposes).

The police at (more accessible) Thalang Town will refuse to provide the insurance report - the airport is outside their jurisdiction.

To reach that police station is about 500 - 600 baht (each way) in a taxi, or (if you are lucky and call me and I have the time), it is free because I drive the tourist to/from Tha Chat Chai and translate for the police report (if you don't speak Thai).

This typically takes a round trip time of at least 90 minutes, (including making the report), plus my petrol costs which I cover myself.

So..... as I mentioned previously, building a small police station to manage incidents at the airport seems to make a lot of sense.

Oh, and whilst they are about it, howabout building a petrol station by the airport, so that cars don't have to travel the 6-7km to the nearest petrol station at Meung Mai?

Sheesh! - A busy, international airport with no police station and no petrol station cheesy.gif

Edited by LivinginKata
full quote inserted
  • Like 1

The guy isn't asking for sympathy, he's making the point that nobody in authority at the airport gave a flying .

The comments from Pol Col Somchai Sanprasert are worth looking at:

“Actually, if there is a serious case it must fall under the responsibility of the case officer assigned at the station. However, if it is not serious then the police stationed at the Airport can take the report and help with airport procedures."

The policeman stationed at the airport refused to take a report and gave no help.

“Now if someone has a problem such as losing a wallet, police at the airport can help with airport procedures."

Again, the policeman at the airport did not offer any help.

"However, if it is an incident which, for example, involves a fight or a theft the case officer from Tha Chat Chai Police Station will need to take care of the case. Police stationed at the airport will call the case officer on duty at Tha Chat Chai Police Station and the officer will go to the Airport to investigate."

As far as the information given by the op goes, the policeman at the airport did not contact the case officer.

The staff at the airport should be aware what the procedure is for reporting lost items and the police officer that was stationed there needs a refresher course on what his duties entail.

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 1

Is this news - yawn ...

most of the more prolific posters like to comment on Thai people not making an effort to be 1st World and here we have a Thai trying to make a difference - He even comments that he's doing it for International Tourists - I say 'fair play' to him

• Like 1

Sorry, but a grip on your life. Your wallet is nobodies responsibility but your own. This guy just made himself look like a d

So we can all have a good laugh when you loose yours.

Well no. Because I won't be telling the world about it and crying that nobody stopped life to cater to help me.

"Meanwhile, Santi Pawai, Director of Tourism and Sports Authority of Thailand, Phuket Office told The Phuket News, “Tourists who need help at the aiport can contact the Tourist Assisstance Centre and the officer there will cooperate with the police."

This center is located on the arrivals floor, between the domestic and international baggage claim areas. To access that area you need a security clearance badge. I've thought for a long time (ever since this centre was built) that it should be in the outer waiting area so anyone could access it.

To give credit to this guy, Phuket Airports Lost and Found is to contact your own airline staff. There is essentially no lost and found section at the airport. When you contact airline staff, if its not about a tagged baggage they will of course tell you to ask the AOT staff.

AOT Staff told to tell the guy to go contact the airline staff, so the guy is being pointed back and forth. If it was me, I would be frustrated too.

Other poster said why didn't he go check Subway, I'm sure he did. To get CCTV footage, he needs to get a police report. That police on duty said he couldn't take a report, which is false. He is probably not train or don't know how to take a report.

The first problem is the police who couldn't take a report. Second is AOT staff and Tourist Assisstance Centre staff on duty were not trained properly to handle the situation. They are suppose to assist tourist at the airport to get the police on duty to write up a report, not tell tourists to go to the nearby police station which is still pretty far away.

• Like 1

Yea, bad luck for the young guy hard lesson learned. I think seasoned travellers know, you don't carry your wallet in your pocket in airports, pickpockets love airports, bus stations, large tourist attractions where there are hundreds of people (Italy).

And yes, quite possibly came loose at Subway and when someone saw him walk away, they grabbed it when no one else noticed,emptied,thrown in trash.

Store the wallet for the airport, boarding pass and passport in front pocket, maybe small amount of cash in other front pocket, done.

There would be a procedure for the loss of property including wallets , big problem is the staff turnover and training isn't a patch on what would be termed normal say at Heathrow , that in turn is the terminal administration manager area , repetitive procedure is fine, anything out of the square the muddle headed wombat would do better, its called dumbing down , happens everyday in both Asia and Africa. coffee1.gif