Durian farmers and traders warned of prison term if sell unripe durians to customers

Lite Beer

Durian farmers and traders warned of prison term if sell unripe durians to customers

4-17-2015-11-04-33-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Agricultural Extension today reiterated its warning to traders and farmers not to sell unripe durians to customers or else they could face prison terms.

The warning came as the department and Chanthaburi province jointly hosted a campaign to encourage traders and durian farmers to sell only ripe durians to customers, and to warn them to realize of the serious consequences if they sell unripe durians to customers or export them.

The event is also aimed to ensure consumers, as well as durian exporters that they would be receiving good quality durians from the Chanthaburi, which are currently being released into various markets, both within the local market and abroad.

The department and Chanthaburi provincial office have set up check-points in 8 districts of the province to make sure that no unripe durians were transported out of the province for sale.

Mobile units were also set up jointly with other relevant state agencies to inspect and destroy unripe durians found in any fruit markets immediately upon being tipped off..

If any traders or farmers are found to knowingly sell unripe durian to customers,they could be subjected to an imprisonment without any suspension of punishment, for violating Article 271 of the Criminal Code and the Consumers Protection Act.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/durian-farmers-and-traders-warned-of-prison-term-if-sell-unripe-durians-to-customers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-17

• Like 2

Is it dangerous to sell unripe durian fruit or to allow it to ripen off of the tree?

Why would they make this a criminal act?

How can they export durian if they have to wait until it is ripe since it would rot during the time to transport it put of the country?

• Like 1

Is it dangerous to sell unripe durian fruit or to allow it to ripen off of the tree?

How can they export durian if they have to wait until it is ripe since it would rot during the time to transport it put of the country?

I know of no danger from unripe durian, in fact I believe if it is unripe you simply wouldn't eat it, or in Malaysia cook unripened durian as a vegetable kind of serving. Medically, there is no record of unripe durian being any kind of danger. Something doesn't add up here on this one, I'm afraid.

Durian doesn't rot quickly once ripe, and transports well, but I can't work out what this criminal act for transporting unripe is all about. Somebody's on to something, and not sharing it, and it obviously involves a lot of money. ;)

• Like 1

I absolutely miss the point here. Every Thai knows how to determine if a durian is ripe or not, when ripe it has the smell of durian. People could be buying unripe durians in order to sell/eat later on. Imprisonment for a transgression like this, with jails far too overcrowded already? They'll be laughing about this all the way from Rio de Janeiro to Tokyo.

• Like 1

Every Thai knows how to determine if a durian is ripe or not, when ripe it has the smell of durian.

I highly doubt it. I often see thais buying hard, white durian. Durian without taste and smell, simply unripe. I know a durian farmer and he would never even touch such durian many Thais here in Bangkok buy... Mai kautschai...

I once bought tubs of yellow ice cream for the kids while in transit across Java.

Locals were highly amused as four kids rushed to the bins and were spitting and gagging.

My first (and last) encounter with durian ice cream.

• Like 1

Perhaps they could extend that to all food sellers that sell rotting food, bad hygiene practices etc.

Nothing worse than seeing your food prepared after the cook has had his/her finger up the nose, pulling out boogers!

• Like 2

....but green bananas are OK

thumbsup.gif

Maybe some durian bigwig in Chanthaburi wants to put a stranglehold on neighbouring provinces jumping the gun and stealing sales from Chanthaburi. Or maybe his own farm is late to harvest..WHO KNOWS???

Chanthanburi is after all the "Durian Capital of the World" (Saturday May 23 2015)

1941592_10153125709667090_45941451138264

Edited by Fullstop

The issue with unrepentant durian in the past been linked to cost. The first durian that make it to the market fetch a higher price whether they are ripe or not. Obviously if they are not ripe customers are not happy and this does tarnish the image to some extent. And we all know how Thais like to think they are highly regarded overseas.

• Like 1

Most small durian farmers around my way invite the "trader" to pick the fruit... They check them on the tree using the small plastic "hammer", and if they're ready, they cut them - at which point they're sold (even if when opened they're found to be unripe). The farmer gets little less per kilo, but they at last get payment.

By having a couple of traders lined up to visit every week or so, they can ensure the unscrupulous ones don't say - "sorry these are overripe".

The unripe ones are usually made into the dried/fried chips, and the overripe ones into the durian toffee - either of which is less offensive (or less tasty, if you actually enjoy the taste) than the perfectly ripe fruit.

• Like 1

I love the smell of durian, never could understand why so many foreigners complain of the smell or its ban from the MRT in BKK... Tastes delicious, and the smell never bothers me.... The only thing Thai friends have warned me about is not to eat durian while drinking, which I am told can be fatal (ripe or unripe I guess)... Not sure I believe that but I don't eat durian when I'm drinking....

• Like 1

Looks like a new addition needs to be made to those websites listing "Weirdest Laws in the World"

#356 THAILAND: You can be imprisoned for selling unripe durian"

The ridiculousness off it seems more blatant when it's printed out like that ... right?

Wake up Thailand!

• Like 1

Do you have expertise in the time-line of the ripening of durians? How do you know it would rot during transport?