Any good venues in Bangkok with live electric blues bands?

Card

The Adhere 13 Blues Bar on Samsen. Often just called "the Blues bar". Definitely the best blues spot. Sometimes it's not so great on the Mon-Wed, but when the house band is there, it's always fantastic. It's where musicians go to listen as well, so it's not just lowest-common-denominator music.

The place is excessively tiny, and I think that just adds to the character.

Oh, and pratically incomprehensible in Thailand: It's not too loud!

(that is, they aren't just pumping up the volume as far as it goes, with the subwoofer 3 times as loud as the other speakers)

Does anyone know if the legend that is/was[?] Lam Morrison is still alive & playing in his usual haunt in Walking street ? What a player ...best I've seen out here by a country mile ...boy ! could he make that axe talk! Even waid at his fet after one magical gig much to the amusement of his entourage !

“The Saxophone” (at Victory Monument) on Friday and Saturday nights:

Ped’s Band plays from 9:00pm to 11:30pm. Very good.

Ped plays again with The Blues Catcher on Wednesday nights at “Nothing But the Blues” (although I still haven’t made it there yet to their new place). Check out their schedules. Lots of great bands.

“Apoteka” on Sukhumvit soi 11 plays lots of Blues. On Thursday nights you can hear The Soi Dogs Blues Band, the classic. On Monday, The Jukes. Check their schedules.

The Blues are alive in Bangkok!

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the legend that is/was[?] Lam Morrison is still alive & playing in his usual haunt in Walking street ? What a player ...best I've seen out here by a country mile ...boy ! could he make that axe talk! Even waid at his fet after one magical gig much to the amusement of his entourage !

Yes Lam is still pounding away in the Blues Factory Walking Street Pattaya. Good guy too, he's my near neighbour in Pattaya. I think his daughter is a hi-so film actress these days.

Also, I still think the Saxaphone at Victory Monument is still the best place in Bangkok even after going there for 20 years. There's a couple of good music places still in Thonglaw, but shame the big old rocking/blues places from the 90's are long gone - bit like me!

Edited by MiKT

and a plug for Baan Don Sod....the house of improvised music in Chiang Rai......some of the best jazz and blues in all Thailand..the owner is a music professor at CR university and many of his former students play every night but monday....$2 beers, no BS, no hassles...just some incredibly talented musicians..mostly Thai but quite a few falangs also show up to play from time to time....

if in CR don't miss it....jazz from 8;30 til 10;15 then blues 10;30 til midnight....

• Like 1

Yes Lam is still pounding away in the Blues Factory Walking Street Pattaya. Good guy too, he's my near neighbour in Pattaya. I think his daughter is a hi-so film actress these days.

Also, I still think the Saxaphone at Victory Monument is still the best place in Bangkok even after going there for 20 years. There's a couple of good music places still in Thonglaw, but shame the big old rocking/blues places from the 90's are long gone - bit like me!

I thought Lam had left the Blues Factory and now played at Hot Tuna?

Yes, I'm not sure what bar, but it's definitely not the Blues Factory. He's off and on at the new bar. Plays when he feels he can.

Yes, I'm not sure what bar, but it's definitely not the Blues Factory. He's off and on at the new bar. Plays when he feels he can.

That sounds very familiar. :)

• Like 1

Went a couple of times to a pub near Seacom a few years ago . Just a pub that nobody told me the name of and it was nearly all Thai customers . Remember the quite a number of big bikes parked in a line near the door. . But some damm good Blues Bands - there was one band with about a dozen guys - a full rhythm section . Excellent stuff. Some reggae type blues bands ( think Toots in Memphis style) and some just plain good ol' dirty blues . Great nights. Great music and not so great hangover symptoms for a usually light drinker the next day. My gf just told me it was close to Seacom Square and it was closed about 18 months ago because of drugs. Sorry , ignore my rant.

Edited by xen

Can you tell me where Hot Tuna is on Walking street and what times the blues/rock bands play? I often go to Patts but the Blues factory never really appealed, mainly because the bands start to play too late for me.

Edited by Card

Hot Tuna is or was half way down Walking st i nPataya on left big open air bar with a little alley down the side to arab pipe smokers sit. Always good bands on there in fact got so legless there 1 night listening to the finale of The Wall that I fell backwards off the bar stool banged my head & leapt right up again & continued with my air guitarmuch to the amusement of the band & punters!

Great to see the Saxophone Pub is still alive & kicking...man that place is cool !

Sorry to answer your question re Hot Tuna was early evening started ie sundown so should be just the ticket for you timewise...enjoy !

Thanks for that, I will venture in this weekend.

BTW, in my online searches, I discovered this group called the Bangkok Blues Fanatics. I'm gonna join:

http://www.meetup.com/Bangkok-Blues-Fanatics/

They meet up at the Nothing But The Blues Bar near the far end of Thonglor 55, which looks great.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

I told you I was long gone, I see him near home and don't get to see him play much nowadays as "she who must" does not much like his type of blues and I have to substitute Rolling 3 in soi 8.

Very Sorry to hear about Jeff from the Soi Dogs.

Sorry to answer your question re Hot Tuna was early evening started ie sundown so should be just the ticket for you timewise...enjoy !

BTW, in my online searches, I discovered this group called the Bangkok Blues Fanatics. I'm gonna join:

They meet up at the Nothing But The Blues Bar near the far end of Thonglor 55, which looks great.

Thanks for this post....never knew the place existed....but will visit soon for sure!

Thanks for that! I've been to Nothing But the Blues Bar....they weren't playing blues, but hard rock. Still great...but no blues! 55555

Iron Faries on Thong Lor has, from time to time, some blues bands also.

Thanks for that! I've been to Nothing But the Blues Bar....they weren't playing blues, but hard rock. Still great...but no blues! 55555

i guess it depends on what you differentiate between blues and rock. Modern electric blues is similar to hard rock but retains the features of the original blues. Blues has developed into so many variants within jazz, pop and rock that there is quite a lot of overlap.

• Like 1

Thanks for this post....never knew the place existed....but will visit soon for sure!

Can you report on the place when you've been?

• Like 1

i guess it depends on what you differentiate between blues and rock. Modern electric blues is similar to hard rock but retains the features of the original blues. Blues has developed into so many variants within jazz, pop and rock that there is quite a lot of overlap.

100% agree! I'm a musician, and have played and performed many different styles of music. When we were there, a great Thai band was playing. It was pure rock and the lead guitar player (a big guy) was superb. But I had my heart on blues! LOL

It's a very nice venue. Upstairs, but well signed from outside.

wai2.gif

100% agree! I'm a musician, and have played and performed many different styles of music. When we were there, a great Thai band was playing. It was pure rock and the lead guitar player (a big guy) was superb. But I had my heart on blues! LOL

wai2.gif

I am a long-life blues fan too - but how do you say a piece is the blues and another is rock, apart from dissecting the musical structure whch, as a non-musician, I cannot do? I don't even know what 12 bars means.

wai2.gif

I am a life-long blues fan too - but how do you say a piece is the blues, blue-rock or hard rock, apart from dissecting the musical structure whch, as a non-musician, I cannot do? I don't even know what 12 bars means. I usually go by the pace, rhythm and to some extent the lyrics.

BTW, I found the Facebook page of the bar:

https://www.facebook.com/nothingbutthebluesbar

They also have some group vids on Youtube as well as on their Facebook page and it sounds like great blues to me.

It seems like there are many great blues bands in Thailand and the Thais certainly can play it well.

At my late stage in life, I have come to think that I might have wasted most of it studying and teaching science. My main worry, though, is the realisation that my past students may think so too.

Edited by Card

12 bar musical progression is pretty much the basis for blues. It's normally referred to as 12 bar blues. Great for jamming. Relatively easy to play. And it's what really distinguished blues from any other type of music. Though as you say, there are crossovers, like in any other form of music. But pure blues is pretty much all 12 bar progressions. I-IV-V chord progressions. Which is also the primary basis for bluegrass, which I play now....and love.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-bar_blues

I got sucked into this at an early age due to my college roommate. Who is a huge blues fan to this day. Show him this list and I guarantee he'll get weak in the knees! 55555

http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-blues-artists-of-all-time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues

Just saw this....will have to see it for sure!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287198/