Schengen Visa - Can the entry be changed ?

Hi,

I'm just busy to fill out the missus Visa application, it's the third, so I don't worry to much. The only thing is, in point 23. You have to fill "Member state of first entry". I'm not quite decided yet, and want rather wait for a good flight deal, in the meantime I'm just considering to book a flight to Frankfurt via Thai airways, and cancel it later when I got a better deal.

So what would happen if I fill in Germany as first country but enter another like Belgium France or the Netherlands? On the visa itself nothing is marked, but I can imagine that the complete file is transmitted digital.

Anyone same experience?

It shouldn't be a big deal since you are able to enter via, travel through and depart from all member states in a Schengenvisa (assuming it is not a visa with " limited territorial validity" , which are very rare). If your main destination is Germany, apply at the German embassy and enter through Frankfurt if that suits you, or change it Amsterdam (NL) if that turns out cheaper.

You might even change your main destination if your plans simply change for whatever reason. Cheaper tickets might be one of those reasons: say AMS is much cheaper, you enter via NL and decide that you will stay in NL and BE for longer the originally planned). Aslong as you are truthfull at the moment of application you should be fine.

Edit: I assume you are married? Remember that EU/EEA family member visa are free, issued ASAP with minimal paperwork.

TheOldGit had a pleasant experience with the Dutch. I don't know (but hope) the Germans issue such visas with minimum hassle aswell.

Edited by Donutz

Yes, visas to all EU countries are free for spouses and other direct family members aslong as the foreigner travels with the EU national to an other country then the one of the EU national. So a Spanish Schengen visa is free, simplified and issued ASAP for your wife. Just as a UK visa would be for the spouse of a Spanish national.

More info in the Schengen sticky.

Well, after all I just booked straight away for both of us to the final destination. Didn't see lot of sense to book a flight only to cancel it again, and maybe still not able to find anything cheaper.

But the worst thing was that I was a bit in a hurry and book through a german internet portal (fluege.de). I only saw when I got the receipt that they added almost freakin 10% of the fare.

As said I'm off with the bike to Lao, and wanted to have all papers finished for the miss. But I'll have to check that again where they added those 10% once I back, some might call it clever marketing, I call it robbery.

Was looking on Thai last minute too, if you're flexible, you get one way to many major destinations for around 10K, of course wont work with the miss as a return ticket is required.

What is your nationality?

If you are an EU national then your wife does not need confirmed flights or other travel arrangements in order to apply for a Schengen visa; provided she will be travelling with or to join you.