What to do with 40-60 tonnes of WOOD!?

Hi guys ,

I am looking ideas about what to do with a large amount of wood that my girlfriend owns. The wood is "mai daeng" and Mai Maka" if that means anything to you. I dont know the names in English.

We dont want this wood to go to waste and would really appreciate ideas about what to do with it as it is now sitting up in a shed!.

Also any idea about how much its worth? per kg or per ton?

Look forward to your replies.

I am looking for a pice of "Mai Maka", 300x180x12cm. It has to be one solid plate, I pay you 35 000฿, delivered to my place.

That is a large board are the chances of cracking high?

Imperial measurement roughly 11 by 6 feet by a little less than 5 inches.

I am not sure if I have that size northernjohn. I dont think it off the top of my head. The shed is in Prachinburi and the wood is in good condition. Definitely in good condition to be refurbed or used for something like furniture but I don't know how to go about getting it made into furniture. My gf would love to do something with the wood as her father is now dead and he devoted so much time and money to this resort.

Yes I'm aware of the laws regarding cutting this tree. This wood is from a resort in Wang nam Kheow where the land was taken back by the government. My girlfriends father had some houses built made from this wood- he bought the wood and didn't deforest .There were numerous court cases about the land and the buildings and the government are aware of it. My gf has the court letters so in actual fact this wood is legal for my gf to have in her possession.

Yes I'm aware of the laws regarding cutting this tree. This wood is from a resort in Wang nam Kheow where the land was taken back by the government. My girlfriends father had some houses built made from this wood- he bought the wood and didn't deforest .There were numerous court cases about the land and the buildings and the government are aware of it. My gf has the court letters so in actual fact this wood is legal for my gf to have in her possession.

While it may be legal to have it in her possession, there are also laws limiting sale of some wood to licensed sellers.

Farmers have to sell to these guys at rock bottom prices, and the licensed sellers sell it on, making most of the money. It's another way the elite get their cut of every increment of labor put out by working class Thais.

I'd suggest contacting an attorney to see what her legal options are. She may be required to sell it to a licensed entity.

make charcoal?

That would be an incredible waste of what can be ever lasting wood products if this is the wood I am thinking of. Right off hand I would make parts of violins, violas, cellos,

Guitars and many other instriments from it. First thing drop a small chunk in some water. Does it float? if no does it sink fast or slow.

Second cut some shavings from it with a sharp knife. What colours do you find?? Are the fresh cuts waxy. If It sinks in water & the shavings are waxy it is great for boats under the waterline.

Docks & piers made from it last a very long time.

It can be very difficult to work with as it builds up tensions that get released in different directions when it is cut & can easily stall powerful tablesaws clamping the blade in a vise like death grip.

Were it me with that much of it. I would buy a larger more powerful bandsaw than what I have now & start milling it down into retail pieces to sell over ten years.

Violin & cello Bows, Nuts Tailpieces & bridges for instriments, furniture. Whatever turns you on. If I was closer to the shed I would be over to have a look & check my bank balance. If daddy has been storing this stuff properly It should be well aged & dry Altho it is resistant to bugs keep it raised above the dirt covered & stacked in such a way that air can get to all sides of it.

But Please

DO NOT MAKE CHARCOAL OUT OF IT that would be neanderthol

Bad Tony

...It can be very difficult to work with as it builds up tensions that get released in different directions when it is cut & can easily stall powerful tablesaws clamping the blade in a vise like death grip...

I once tried to drill a hole in a frame made from Maka, broke all my wood and steel drillers, nearly destroyed my Makita.

Thanks all for your input so far. Tony Aparichio- your idea seems great but but I'm untrained in that sort of thing. I ll test the wood like you said and get back to you though. Don't worry I wouldn't be so daft to make charcoal out of it. Only serious comments welcomed.

Having had a wooden boat made here I know just enough to be dangerous. We used mai dang for our furniture and the interior floor. I suspect that it is what we call mahogany but I'm not sure of that. I was a spectator to numerous discussions on what wood is "good" as we built, finished, maintained and modified a 30 ton motor yacht. Both of these woods are premium and bring a very high price. They are sold retail by cubic volume. The supply is steadily dwindling and the price is steadily increasing. About 6 or 7 years ago I paid about 9,000 baht for enough mai dang to make a cabinet about the size of a bedroom dresser. It was not a whole lot of wood as it was just the top and the front face and the doors we bought off the shelf at Home Pro. My dining table top is made from a single piece of ma cau. It measures 5.5' x 3' x 2" and cost 20,000 baht 10 years ago. Your tonnage is worth a great deal of money on the retail market. Other comments about legalities and who benefits from the value are certainly issues to explore. If it were mine, my first inquiry would be what kind of permit is needed to transport it because I doubt that the letter you mention would get you very far. I also wonder about the possibility of your wife becoming a licensed retailer. Just thinking out loud. Here in Ranong I am on a first name basis with the owner of the largest wood retail shop. I could inquire on your behalf or PM his number to you.

As an edit I'll add that he has never been able to supply mai dang to me and as far as I know I bought the last remaining supply here 10 years ago from a smaller shop.

Edited by captnhoy

Hi there are a few considerations:

Certification

Transport across different provinces

Whether the wood is kiln dried (unlikely)or for how it has been air drying

What sizes - is it in logs, cants, lumber etc

Happy to talk you through it and may even be interested in buying

Send me a phone number if you like

Cheers

Thank you captnhoy. If you could pm me that mans number in Ranong. Definitely worth a call. I'm aware of transporting licenses as we needed to get someone with one when we were moving it to its present location.

Thank you captnhoy. If you could pm me that mans number in Ranong. Definitely worth a call. I'm aware of transporting licenses as we needed to get someone with one when we were moving it to its present location.

PM sent

It has been air drying now for about 2 months SPW2015. I m going to see it today or tomorrow so I ll get pictures up. Lots of it were flooring and the outside walls of the houses were half log type! But very beautiful wood some of it and I would love to make it into flooring. There were also lots of full logs used as support for the houses. It's all different lengths and sizes but lots of long lengths approx 10 meters long

Both kinds of wood are quiet valuable hardwoods and is good for furniture and flooring. If cut into boards. I would also be interested in buying a few pieces 3-5 meter long with full width and 12cm thick sound about right. What is the diameters of the Maka wood logs?

I can also be interested in buying some mai daeng.