I called 1584 to complain about taxis but answer is the ' no speak english '

steven100

I just contacted 1111 .... spoke to a very well ' english speaking gent ' who took down the details and advised he will forward it onto the correct department ...

so ... now i'm relaxed ....whistling.gif

The round ¨filing cabinet¨ under the desk.... cheesy.gif

• Like 1

now can I call 1111 to complain that the milk I bought from 7-11 is not fresh ....... ?

Or about people who live here a long time and still don't speak Thai while when they used to live in their home country where upset that

immigrants didn't speak their language.

Or public service orientated facilities touted to tourists who cannot even communicate with them, and frequently do not pick up the phone.

THere is also an app you can download now to report taxis

Just take a photo of the taxi and the license plate or taxi ID

Presto report filed

DLT Check in app lets passengers rate Bangkok taxi drivers

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/803022-dlt-check-in-app-lets-passengers-rate-bangkok-taxi-drivers/

It's not clear to me whether using the ratings system on this DLT Check-In app is the same or different than filing a complaint with the government's/the DLT's 1584 phone hotline for, for example, a meter taxi that refuses a fare.

I installed the DLT Check-in app on my Android mobile from the Google Play Store last night. At first, the app came up entirely in Thai language, and there doesn't appear to be any settings menu for the app. But there is a TH icon for Thai language up in the top right corner. If you click that TH icon, it changes the app's language setting to English.

The other problem with the app that I see is that it asks you to enter in, either by typing or by photo, the taxi license number for the taxi you're using. However, as we all know, as often as not, the person actually driving the taxi is NOT the same person the taxi is licensed to (in DLT records and with his photo on the license page displayed in the taxi).

So how could that serve as the basis for any kind of disciplinary action against the actual, real driver..... because the system would seem to only connect to the licensed driver (who often is a different person)???

I gave up getting taxis... No more stress..

Some of my friends that have come to thailand and hated it... Was caused by trying to get around and not being able too get a cab or being stuck in traffic.

Come to think of it they should not even be called taxis in Bangkok...false advertising.

Sent from my c64

The other problem with the app that I see is that it asks you to enter in, either by typing or by photo, the taxi license number for the taxi you're using. However, as we all know, as often as not, the person actually driving the taxi is NOT the same person the taxi is licensed to (in DLT records and with his photo on the license page displayed in the taxi).

So how could that serve as the basis for any kind of disciplinary action against the actual, real driver..... because the system would seem to only connect to the licensed driver (who often is a different person)???

Politeness: NO

Comment and suggestion: Driver refused to accept me as a passenger and take me from [A] to

I usually tell them my destination before getting in the taxi..if the drivers agree ok...if not no problem try another....you may not know when you happen to meet a homicidal or suicidal driver..some of them are timebombs...why ignite them..

Nonsense,

You get in taxi without speaking thru the window

You sit down, close the door

You tell driver where to go

If he refuses to turn on meter and drive,

You take photo of his license with cell phone camera, and then say,

Luhrr????

100% success rate

This may be a cause for an assault on you by the Taxi driver, I like my teeth, they cost a lot of money.....most taxi drivers have a bat under their seat - I think the correct response is to 'take the picture then leave the taxi' then email it to 1111 - hopefully in public.

agree ... good way to get shot .... how you think a driver will feel when he sees you taking his license plate down or typing a complaint in.

Just get his number without getting in and report him via the app, or telephone call 1584, or email [email protected] or email NCPO or call 1111

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

Politeness: NO

Comment and suggestion: Driver refused to accept me as a passenger and take me from [A] to

I'm not following how your comments address the main point I was making, and that was...

Sending a taxi license number to DLT via some complaint channel doesn't tell DLT who was actually driving the taxi at the time... It could be the real licensed driver, or it could be some sub-rental driver.

If DLT doesn't know who was actually driving the taxi at any point in time, how could they take any disciplinary action for something like refusing to take a meter fare?

5 apps to get a taxi in Bangkok

Grabtaxi

You have probably seen this sign on several taxis. It is growing fast and trying to get partnership with existing Thai taxi fleet. In Thailand it is available in Bangkok and Pattaya. In the rest of the world you can find it in Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam and Indonesia.

It has a surcharge of 25 THB, that you will have to add to the meter at the end of the ride. They are very active with promotions and discounts which often means no fee or even a cheaper price than the meter.

The technology on the app is quite acceptable. Probably the only difficulty you will find is choosing the origin and destination, because of the language. If you are going to a landmark or a hotel, you shouldn’t have any problem.

grabtaxi-sshot.jpg?fad866

After your request, you can see on real-time how the drivers nearby deny or accept your journey. When a driver agrees, it tells you where he is and you can contact him for further details. Or he might just call you to check where you are.

Now GrabTaxi is also introducing GrabCar on Bangkok. It is basically the same, but with limo and a slightly different pricing (there is no surcharge, but the meter starts at 45 THB).

Available for Android, iPhone and BlackBerry

EasyTaxi.png?fad866Easy Taxi

Easy Taxi is not as clever as GrabTaxi or Uber, but it is easy, indeed. This app is available in many countries around the world, mainly in South America and South East Asia.

It works as an app version of the traditional Taxi Call Center. You pick up your origin, destination and wait for the result. When a driver is assigned for your trip, you can check all the details or call him to offer more information.

Easy-Taxi-booking.jpg?fad866

The surcharge is 20 THB, which you have to add to the meter fare at the end of the destination. Even if you don’t have the app installed, you can reach the service through the web app using any browser (also mobile-friendly!)

Available for Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, Samsung Apps and web.

Uber.png?fad866Uber

Uber is also available in Thailand too. For now, just in Bangkok, but you will be lucky if you can catch one of these as they are too few yet.

The price starts at 25 TH and increases 1 THB per minute and 4.5 THB per kilometer. That is sometimes slightly cheaper than normal metered taxi, but be careful because it is kind of tricky. The minimum cost per ride is 45 THB and there is also a 45 THB fee if you cancel the ride. That is for UberX, the cheapest one. UberBlack is more expensive, as you can see in Uber website.

UberX.jpg?fad866

In most cases Uber will mean a more expensive ride than on a normal taxi, but in exchange you are supposed to get a better service.

One thing that you might and might not like is that you need to add your credit card details first when you create your account. The service fee is deducted automatically from your card, so you don’t need to carry cash with you. That’s good, but it is also kind of scary somehow.

You can get an estimation for the ride cost on the app and the website, but be aware that some routes have a fixed cost, like 1,000 THB for an airport ride.

Available for Android, iPhone and Windows Phone.

allthaitaxi.png?fad866All Thai Taxi

All Thai Taxi is the uninspired name of a brand new services, just launcher in Thailand. It is still on early Beta, so don’t expect it to work as smooth as others like Grab Taxi.

All Thai Taxi has its own taxi fleet and features focused on safety and features a Lady Taxi.

att1.jpg?fad866

For now it has been launcher only on Android, but it will be available on iPhone too.

Available for Android

smarttaxi.jpg?fad866Smart Taxi

Smart Taxi is the last on our list. It is only available for iPhone and iPad and seems kind of abandoned, as it has not been updated since December 2014. Anyway, you might still see it on some taxis and wonder what is it. The service fee is 20 THB.

As for the app, as you can see on the screenshots, it is a bit outdated and childish. Definitely not as professional as others.

smart-taxi.jpg?fad866

Available for iPhone and iPad

Edited by steven100

Thanks for the good recap on some of the various mobile phone apps for Thai taxi service, Steven.

I'd be interested in hearing more on the experiences of people who have actually used them, because...

1. Re Uber, wasn't it supposedly outlawed by the Thai DLT a while back? But it hasn't been clear in the reporting I've seen just how or why they've been able to continue operating, to whatever extent they are.

2. Re Grab Taxi, it seems to have a pretty good reputation for the app and its service. But here on ThaiVisa, it feels like I've seen several different members say they used the app to request a taxi ride and despite repeated attempts, no taxi ever came.

3. Re All Thai Taxi, I tried installing the app last week on my U.S. Samsung mobile phone with a Thai SIM, and on my wife's Thai Samsung mobile phone with a Thai SIM, and the app showed as incompatible with both. And when I went to check the app on the Google Play Store, the user reviews were consistently bad in terms of people having problems with the app itself.

IMO UBER is by far the best. I use them all the time.

UBERx rates compare with a regular taxi, but, UBERx may not always be available even in central bkk. UBER Black cost much more (double a normal taxi), the drivers are much more switched on.

GrabTaxi is just normal taxis without the potential scam. Also very good.

I only need to fall back on a flag fall taxi 5-10% of the time wihsh massively reduces my chances of exposure to the negative experiences.

I also use Grab Taxi, however in Bangkok after trying for 3 successive nights to get a taxi to come to the Conrad I gave up……no responses, maybe I didn't make the tip big enough!!

I manage to make cabs come to my place and it's inside a small soi and the general area is pretty quiet how come you cannot do it when conrad is located at a main area.

Thanks for the good recap on some of the various mobile phone apps for Thai taxi service, Steven.

I'd be interested in hearing more on the experiences of people who have actually used them, because...

1. Re Uber, wasn't it supposedly outlawed by the Thai DLT a while back? But it hasn't been clear in the reporting I've seen just how or why they've been able to continue operating, to whatever extent they are.

2. Re Grab Taxi, it seems to have a pretty good reputation for the app and its service. But here on ThaiVisa, it feels like I've seen several different members say they used the app to request a taxi ride and despite repeated attempts, no taxi ever came.

3. Re All Thai Taxi, I tried installing the app last week on my U.S. Samsung mobile phone with a Thai SIM, and on my wife's Thai Samsung mobile phone with a Thai SIM, and the app showed as incompatible with both. And when I went to check the app on the Google Play Store, the user reviews were consistently bad in terms of people having problems with the app itself.

yes, obviously there are some issues and problems with some of these companies, but one would hope over time the problems get sorted and things become more reliable .....

anything to get rid of the ordinary taxis ... thumbsup.gif

NCPO Thai government. 24 hour Call Center 1111 http://www.1111.go.th/

They deal with any and all complaints related to anything and everything.

3 taxis? you were lucky I tried in the same spot two weeks ago and it was 15 Taxis !!

No taxi driver in his right mind would want to go to Ramkhamhaeng at 5pm on a week night.

Why would anyone in their right mind be a Bangkok taxi driver?

I dont agree with the people who believe that taking a picture of the taxi license would bring upon an attack with a baseball bat.

While I would expect all taxi drivers to be armed with bats knives and guns, it isn't my experience that asking for the meter to be used and for the direction to be followed would bring on this feared response

Many of these guys are supporting. Families and aren't about to assault someone so quick

Rob them, yes.

Not pay them according to the meter, maybe

But by getting in and snapping a photo of theor license?

I have never seen any type person have any attitude about a taxi driver that didn't want to go in their direction they just get the next car and understand the guy doesn't want to go there

3 taxis? you were lucky I tried in the same spot two weeks ago and it was 15 Taxis !!

No taxi driver in his right mind would want to go to Ramkhamhaeng at 5pm on a week night.

Then they should change jobs as that is what is required by their taxi licence.

Yesterday around 5.00pm me and my friend tried to get a taxi from Sukhumvit to Ramkempang ....

3 taxis refused to go straight away <deleted>

What's the Transport ministry doing ?????? are they fixing this taxi mess or not ??

By the third refusal I called 1584 to report the taxi and guess what !! ...... ' no sapeek engwit '

What a joke .... am I calling the wrong number ??

Does anyone know another number to call to complain ??

And, I will email the Ministry of Transport to complain.

This is Thailand, get used to it.

What do you really expect any complaint will do?

My advice, get you lovely gf to call & complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expect the complaint to lead to a fine and then further penalties such as losing their licence for repeat offences.

The 1584 operator spoke very nicely to my wife.

On this narrow issue about how to resolve a problem I want to respond to CharlieH's post; my note is less about taxi then getting resolution through the means he suggested above.

I married some months ago and hired a videographer. They cost a great deal, took the money, and a month later hung up phone on my wife- repeatedly, then would not pick up at all, etc. Basically, 3 months passed; they apparently have no physical address though their work is quite good and evident online. My wife contacted them again with another phone asking for our video; this caught them off guard. The next day a video arrived with our picture on the disk. The family excitedly sat to watch. However, the dvd was another couple, not us! Only the cover pic was us.

I emailed a complaint at the above email address made available within the 1111 website, and explained things, told them what I now wanted- the video I paid for and all the master work. I figured in the email writing that the English might be a challenge so advised I would wait some time before actually calling the 1111. I was beginning to feel ignored after 2 days with no response.

This morning a parcel arrived with all the master footage and the paid for video. I never even got a response from the email address but of course who cares. They produced a result for a very local, very specific consumer affair and in my opinion that is remarkable- the produced result was nearly as fast as the time it would have taken to write the email. So, for those who are throwing rocks at the system Thailand is trying to set up to clean things up, perhaps consider that they really are trying. If they can act upon such a non event as my injury then they are broadly trying to clean things up, and I applaud and support them. Thank you! Totally amazed today.

• Like 1

lol .... thanks Charlie. I know what you mean ... these guys need to be kicked out !!

I'll call them ....

kicked out of what, their own country?

lol .... thanks Charlie. I know what you mean ... these guys need to be kicked out !!

I'll call them ....

kicked out of what, their own country?

kicked out of the taxi .... .. lol

The family and I were in Bangkok for a couple of weeks recently and caught a number of taxis to and from various areas in the city, including Swampy. Not ONE refusal or debate over the meter/price. First time in +12 years that we have experienced this so I must say there could be some improvements happening. We discussed the complaints number and the general improvements with a few of the drivers and the impression I get is that they take the complaints line seriously and they have been warned that the repercussions would be swift and expensive.

The family and I were in Bangkok for a couple of weeks recently and caught a number of taxis to and from various areas in the city, including Swampy. Not ONE refusal or debate over the meter/price. First time in +12 years that we have experienced this so I must say there could be some improvements happening. We discussed the complaints number and the general improvements with a few of the drivers and the impression I get is that they take the complaints line seriously and they have been warned that the repercussions would be swift and expensive.

thanks RasiMike, hope your right and they do change because I can tell you 100% that 8 out of 10 cabs will refuse to take you after 4.00pm from around Emphorium going outbound.

• 2 years later...

You can use the email [email protected] 

The dlt.go.th website does not support English very well.

I filed a complaint recently and am waiting for a response. If i don't get one i'm filing a police complaint because the driver went to his boot to retrieve a weapon and it happened outside Boat Avenue so there's several camera's recording which may help my case.

Generally i find Thai's are very courteous on the roads however a small amount of taxi ( mainly airport taxi ) and van drivers are hot headed. most are not.

Its the 2nd time in 8 years someone has pulled a weapon on me. The 1st time was a bus driver who flashed a hand gun because i was in the right line going slow about to make a right hand turn and they wanted me to move to the left lane. I filed a police complaint and nothing ever happened. I never heard back about it.

46 minutes ago, haymanpl said:

You can use the email [email protected] 

The dlt.go.th website does not support English very well.

I filed a complaint recently and am waiting for a response. If i don't get one i'm filing a police complaint because the driver went to his boot to retrieve a weapon and it happened outside Boat Avenue so there's several camera's recording which may help my case.

Generally i find Thai's are very courteous on the roads however a small amount of taxi ( mainly airport taxi ) and van drivers are hot headed. most are not.

Its the 2nd time in 8 years someone has pulled a weapon on me. The 1st time was a bus driver who flashed a hand gun because i was in the right line going slow about to make a right hand turn and they wanted me to move to the left lane. I filed a police complaint and nothing ever happened. I never heard back about it.

I look forwards to another update to this thread in 2021....