bottled water in thailand?

ghworker2010

In our household we are buying 12 x small bottles of Minere which is relatively cheap but not so good for the environment.

We thought about getting a big water dispenser bottle that can be delivered to the house. But then worry that it might be poor quality water.

The bottled water minere or Purra contains minerals.

Can you suggest any other alternatives for safe / quality drinking water. Has anyone fitted a filter device to the tap

thanks

I don't trust bottled water in any country, let alone LOS.

I bought a great purifier at Home Pro, lasted seven years and when I sold it it was still in excellent condition. Cost 12,000 baht, had three filters, UV, and RO.

Could put out, if memory serves me correctly, 60 liters per day. Whatever, I never ran out. Had Home Pro come out every three months to service it for 300 baht.

We trust in bottled drinking water from Singha (glass bottles). no minerals.

Why should I distrust bottled water when I drink bottled beer biggrin.png from the same or a comparable source (LEO, Chang etc.).

We buy the 24 bottle crate for 60 Baht.

24 bottles with 0.5 l each = 12 l.

So 5 Baht for 1 l.

Sure, more expensive than the public dispensers e.g., but worth in my opinion.

Initially you have to pay a "deposit" of 5 Baht per bottle and ? Baht per crate.

"Deposit": not really. Just bring in the empty bottle and crate and exchange it for a full one for 60 Baht.

Depending on consumption and distance to shop you will like to build a small stockpile (2 crates or more).

This is NOT available at the big chain stores, but at your local mom&pop (beverage) shop.

I mostlty drink Singha soda, Some principle (exchange full for empty), but 125 Baht for 24 bottles of 0.4 l each, 5.2 Baht per bottle.

The bottled water minere or Purra contains minerals.

AURA must be the best.

The national police chief gets it served biggrin.png

(click on the small image)

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1430736623&section=12

Edited by KhunBENQ

A friend of mine has a large property in Vermont, USA, with an artesian spring from which he also lets the neighbors fill their jugs from a roadside tap.. When he visited me in Khon Kaen and drank some chilled water from the 18 liter bottle I buy, he said it tasted god.

When he visited me in Khon Kaen and drank some chilled water from the 18 liter bottle I buy, he said it tasted god.

This water is at least completely OK for cooking.

As long as it lasts, we use rainwater for that.

Over the years I surely often drank from such source (food stalls, restaurants etc.).

For many Thais its there daily source of drinking water.

Edited by KhunBENQ

When he visited me in Khon Kaen and drank some chilled water from the 18 liter bottle I buy, he said it tasted god.

Over the years I surely often drank from such source (food stalls, restaurants etc.).

I have a Thai friend who will only drink Evian bottled water imported from France.

We have been buying the large singha and the large nestle bottles (1.5 liters) for years at 7/11 or big C and we use the water dispenser at our condo for cooking and for hot beverages. Never has any issues with illness

Biggest hassles is getting the water home .. .can be heavy n the heat. Big C no deliver it for us

I really don't like the taste of water, which has been purified with reverse osmosis and UV.

I also have my doubts about the healthiness of such water.

My drinking water is from Mont Fleur and it comes in several sizes of bottles, incl. a 5 liter bottle which can be used for the dispenser.

I trust my taste with Mont Fleur, it's clean and has some minerals, although less than required for the title of "mineral water" in my home country (1000mg/l).

I have a Thai friend who will only drink Evian bottled water imported from France.

You know the hisos biggrin.png

Crazy world to ship some low mineral well water from France to Thailand.

Owners are thankful rolleyes.gif

One of the biggest marketing hypes ever (almost tops Apple).

Interesting that there is nothing to be found in the English WiKi about the false claim "safe for todlers without boiling" (it has hyigienic issues).

Most German tap water has been found to be of better quality than Evian,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evian

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evian_%28Mineralwasser%29

Edited by KhunBENQ

I really don't like the taste of water, which has been purified with reverse osmosis and UV.

I also have my doubts about the healthiness of such water.

My drinking water is from Mont Fleur and it comes in several sizes of bottles, incl. a 5 liter bottle which can be used for the dispenser.

I trust my taste with Mont Fleur, it's clean and has some minerals, although less than required for the title of "mineral water" in my home country (1000mg/l).

Honestly I have problems to taste anything in my Singha water (which is good for non mineralized water).

Pure water has no "taste".

Water in PET bottles: leave it for a day in an opened half empty bottle and I spit it out.

That HAS a taste.

Edited by KhunBENQ

We buy our water from Sprinkle. You didn't say where you are living but if in Bangkok area they will deliver free. Give them a call for details, 02 712-7272 or www.sprinkle-th.com

We get it delivered in the large 5 gl bottles @ B60 per bottle.

We get the Singha water in cases of glass bottles as well.

Baht 60 a case

Do not remember the the deposit (it's been a while) but we get 12-16 cases at a time and they deliver stacked in the kitchen free.

I had so much problems with the water ,,, I tried too many brand some of them test bad big bottles disposal are the worse don't trust them now the only think that is good and is good price is Cp water you can buy ir from CP fresh mark shop ,,just buy one and test it ,,,thumbsup.gif

For almost 30 years my family and I have had our drinking water delivered. It comes in the big 20 litre plastic bottles,17 baht a bottle. We have a water cooler machine and the bottle can be directly placed on top of the cooler, so we have a constant supply of chilled drinking water. During this hot spell I have been drinking litres of the stuff every day.

I have not queried where it comes from, don`t really want to know and never had a problem in 30 years, from the time a 20 litre bottle was 2 baht up to present day.

I`ve tried various brands of bottled drinking water over the years from different stores and delivered, but they all taste exactly the same to me; I mean, water is water; isn`t it?

Most bad water I ever drink in thailand name oasis , it smells like pool chlorine terrible maybe the Thai food health controll should ban this company ..

Now Iam in the home maybe for 3 month and the water from the Austrian mauntain defanatly better then in thailand

Do you know what Evian is spelled backward?

Appropriate, considering it's cost.

Do you know what Evian is spelled backward?

Appropriate, considering it's cost.

They sell it at TOPS so there must be enough people buying it else they wouldn't stock it.

We have been buying the large singha and the large nestle bottles (1.5 liters) for years at 7/11 or big C and we use the water dispenser at our condo for cooking and for hot beverages. Never has any issues with illness

Biggest hassles is getting the water home .. .can be heavy n the heat. Big C no deliver it for us

buying nestle anything has been an absolute NO for me & mine. Giving money to nestle is , politically less correct than giving money to monsanto,

I lied,

equal.

Their CEO has been quoted as saying that "water should not be a human right, it should be given to corporations to make products to be sold for profit"

(not exact wording. avalable on line). They have been legally (negotiated a sweetheart long term deal) & illegally "Harvesting" water in California for a long time..

.If the political will (payoffs?? can't say didn't see the envolopes%%%%)existed to stop this current outrage (especially outragious in times of extreme drought)

The illegal harvesting activities could be used as a reason to end their legally obtained water contract................. Evil corporation with good marketing staff... ... ...

I cook with and sometimes drink Home delivered 24 bottle cartons of 1 litre plastic (not my preference) delivered to my door for 35 baht.

More often I drink soda water from glass bottles with a half of a large lime in it. The lime (Not overly expensive) or lemon (expensive) help to alkalyse the body.

Having just reread this post I realise that I have never boiled 2 litres down to 2 ounces to check the amount of whatever is in either water. My Bad

I will just add that to my "Tommorow" list... ... ...

For almost 30 years my family and I have had our drinking water delivered. It comes in the big 20 litre plastic bottles,17 baht a bottle. We have a water cooler machine and the bottle can be directly placed on top of the cooler, so we have a constant supply of chilled drinking water. During this hot spell I have been drinking litres of the stuff every day.

I have not queried where it comes from, don`t really want to know and never had a problem in 30 years, from the time a 20 litre bottle was 2 baht up to present day.

I`ve tried various brands of bottled drinking water over the years from different stores and delivered, but they all taste exactly the same to me; I mean, water is water; isn`t it?

I suppose we speak of the same water ( but I pay it 12 bahts the 20 l bottle ) ; for more than 4 years now, my girl friend and I ( and every body around me ) drink it, never any trouble, and I don't think it smells bad ; I suppose it's reverse osmosis water, the same than the bottle 1.5 liters you find at 7, big C etc

it's not poisonous water, for sure, but as for quality, I suppose it's not the best , but as said above, body doesn't feel bad

Been drinking the big white plastic bottles, 20 litres each?, for over 13 years now. Never had a problem. The warehouse changes their filters regularly and charge 5 bht a bottle to pickup yourself.

Edited by apetley

Different bottled waters taste different and my family will only buy "Crystal" brand, around 49-55b per dozen small bottles. One brand (by a world famous Swiss food & confectionary company) tastes decidedly dodgy & no-one likes it. However, I object to the environmental issues of all the PET bottles, so I rinse out the bottles & refill them from our filter. The water tastes really great and is to our taste, indistinguishable from the Crystal brand. BIg in-line water filters cost 15,000 for the cheapest good system but we have a bench top Giffarine brand dual-chamber gravity filter. We refill it several times a day, drink from it, and make our tea, coffee & ice from it. Giffarine have shops everywhere or you can buy on line. Change the Giffarine filter element annually about 2,000B.

On a huge water comparison program run in UK, many bottled & local waters were tested and many local tap waters were found to be more pure than some bottled water. Household tap water from filtration plants on the Thames river were among the purest. A most disturbing outcome of the testing was that on the "public blind taste test" people most commonly expressed a preference for water with a significant coliform count. Humans seem to like the taste of water where "we get a bit of our own" back. Yuk! So much for the taste test!

Edited by The Deerhunter

Water for our house comes from 57 m deep well we had drilled in the back yard. Sample of the water was analyzed ant certified as pure. Friend of mine is water chemist at major city in USA, checked the analysis and said it looked very good, far better than city water requirements. Pump it up and store in 10,000 liter reservoir then pass through filter to the house. I am very satisfied with the purity and it tastes very good. But my wife still insists on drinking from bottled water which is actually lower quality (my opinion) because she was raised on such. Thainess.

I drink filtered rain water and have for almost 20 years. Of course only feasible for those of us living in the countryside.

Tap water can easily be filtered either through on attached device orr pouring it into a countertop filter. What type of filter would depend on the water quality and what you were seeking to remove.

For drinking water it's best to use a good mineral water. It helps to replace some of the salts and minerals that are lost in this hot environment.

Cooking and tea/coffee making, filtered water if plenty good enough.

Don't think of the environment, think of your health. Plastic bottles can be recycled, unlike your kidneys.

I use Aura mineral and Nestle filtered water. I wouldn't even wash my hands in the stuff that's sold in the oversized returnable containers.

I buy a few 6x1.5 lt packs at macro or big c as reqd once a fortnight or so, it's not expensive or inconvenient.

I must be cheap, I just use the local machine, 12 liters for 5 baht. Been drinking it for years with no issues. I always drink the water at local restaurants using those tin cups, again no problems. You don't need minerals in your water as a) the amount of minerals is almost negligible and B) you get plenty of minerals and salt in your food. If you eat Thai food a lot, you'll get more salt than is healthy. I use the same 6 liter bottles and just refill them, and occasionally I will wash them out just to make sure everything stays clean. Half the bottled water you drink is just filtered tap water anyways.

I must be cheap, I just use the local machine, 12 liters for 5 baht. Been drinking it for years with no issues. I always drink the water at local restaurants using those tin cups, again no problems. You don't need minerals in your water as a) the amount of minerals is almost negligible and cool.png you get plenty of minerals and salt in your food. If you eat Thai food a lot, you'll get more salt than is healthy. I use the same 6 liter bottles and just refill them, and occasionally I will wash them out just to make sure everything stays clean. Half the bottled water you drink is just filtered tap water anyways.

Just about all water will have minerals of some kind unless it is distilled water. I've never bothered with bottled water. We just bought a good filter and filter our tap water. Upcountry, people may need bottled water, especially in the dry season when river levels are low and lots of sediment is picked up. This happens in my in-laws house. Can't even shower in it!

For drinking water it's best to use a good mineral water. It helps to replace some of the salts and minerals that are lost in this hot environment.

Cooking and tea/coffee making, filtered water if plenty good enough.

Don't think of the environment, think of your health. Plastic bottles can be recycled, unlike your kidneys.

I use Aura mineral and Nestle filtered water. I wouldn't even wash my hands in the stuff that's sold in the oversized returnable containers.

I buy a few 6x1.5 lt packs at macro or big c as reqd once a fortnight or so, it's not expensive or inconvenient.

Well heck, after you've washed your hands in it, I wouldn't drink it ether.

Edited by JLCrab