Aussie boy gets hair caught in Phuket airport escalator

webfact

Aussie boy gets hair caught in Phuket airport escalator
Eakkapop Thongtub

1430883108_1-org.jpg
The boy was taken to Thalang Hospital for precautionary reasons.

PHUKET: -- A 12-year-old Australian boy was taken to hospital for precautionary reasons yesterday (May 5) after getting his hair caught in the arm rest of an escalator at Phuket International Airport (PIA) causing his head to get trapped between the arm rest and a wall.

At 6:30pm, the 12-year-old boy Australian boy, who was playing on an escalator at terminal two of the airport got his hair caught in the arm rest of the escalator which resulted in his head getting stuck between the arm rest and a wall.

A quick thinking airport worker who saw the incident turned off the escalator power and was one of many airport workers who helped get the boy removed safely. It took them five minutes to do so.

The incident caused minor scratches to the boys face and he was taken to Thalang Hospital for an x-rayas a precaution. He was later released and managed to catch his flight home with is family at 10pm.

The deputy director of PIA, Thanee Chowngchoo, said that the boy and nine members of his family had come for a holiday in Koh Lak and were due to leave from PIA last night. However, the boy got his head stuck while taking the esculator from terminal two to terminal one.

Technical staff from the airport checked the escalator before turning it back on.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/aussie-boy-gets-hair-caught-in-phuket-airport-escalator-52178.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-06

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth was he playing on an escalator ? I know kids will be kids but hopefully after this experience his family will be paying more attention to him in the future. These things can be dangerous and are not play areas.

Have to second the parental aspect of this story as it would appear to me to be more of a western trait to just let your kids run riot in places where they should be more closely supervised.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's an airport and not a bleeding playground.

Anyway, glad the lad is okay.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Apparently the boys first course of action was straight to the local barber near his home. Now he's the talk of the street with some embarrassing pics to prove it. The family are happy to return to Thailand again, but will be watching their son on escalators more closely.

Have to second the parental aspect of this story as it would appear to me to be more of a western trait to just let your kids run riot in places where they should be more closely supervised.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's an airport and not a bleeding playground.

Anyway, glad the lad is okay.

Well you know what they say

You need a test to get a driver's licence but not to have kids.

Most parents are mindless when it comes to the security of kids.

Ever since the 12 year old girl who died in the escalator incident at Future Park Rangsit 3 years ago I saw warning signs on every escalator shortly after in Chiang Mai. One is children must be accompanied by a parent.

Apparently the boys first course of action was straight to the local barber near his home. Now he's the talk of the street with some embarrassing pics to prove it. The family are happy to return to Thailand again, but will be watching their son on escalators more closely.

First person I've heard of to come back from Thailand with a bad haircut.

I know I always return feeling tidy and relaxed.

Why on earth was he playing on an escalator ? I know kids will be kids but hopefully after this experience his family will be paying more attention to him in the future. These things can be dangerous and are not play areas.

a nanny state member comment. Are you from oz?

There was a large lady and her daughter facing the wrong way on downwards escalator in Bnk Airport the other year - not sure where from ,maybe Russia - I think the lady was drunk - anyway i had a gut feeling something was about to happen-and yes they fell just before the end -my instincts told me to yank them off the floor quick !(ive heard stories of trapped hair too) not even a thankyou and the husband just stood and watched ! Must have looked quite funny on the airport cameras though ,i was like a little ninja :)

Why don't you tell that to a 12 year old. and remember you were 12 once.

"Playing on an escalator" says it all, seen many parents oblivious to this sort of thing also

12 year old boys do dumb stuff. Not always the parents fault.

You "it's the parents fault" nazi...

Nazi was a bit much but people sitting on their high horses complaining about lax parenting usually have no children of their own and have no idea what kids can get up to and how quickly things can escalate,you can't handcuff kids to your wrist and you need eyes in the back of your head sometimes.

I now find it very lucky knowing that this will never happen to me as my hair disappeared many years ago, unless the skin on my head gets caught so it has its upside being a baldy. hope the youngster has learned his lesson that escalator's are for traveling on and not for playing on.

I the old days many men would have been carrying a pocket knife. I expect a Swiss Army knife would have a special blade for cutting boys hair when they get stuck in an escalator. Glad he is OK and has learned a lesson. I'm waiting for a report that the parents will be demanding compensation.coffee1.gif