Coffee Connoisseurs - Reveal your secrets

ExpatOilWorker

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many people talk about cheaper coffee and no diiferences in expencive ones.

Coffee is a world market. The price is made by quality of beans.

So where ever you go, the price of the coffeebean is the same.

If the coffee is cheap the beans will be of low quality.

If you like it. Drink it. But in my opinion you dont know what good coffee is.

There is only one country that has averige good coffee and thats Italy. Good coffe somewhere else is just ocasally, and no. I am not from Italy.

People who talk about coffee and milk. No coffee lovers. Imagine why baristo is a proffesion.

Rarely have I had an excellent coffee out. However I buy coffee beans and have a mill not a grinder and choose my grind fine course etc. next I have a French press a mocha Italiano and an espresso machine. Rim ping at mechok has a respectable selection of coffee beans

Because unemployment is 25% in Italy, and many can't spell "profession." Starbucks spends more on employment taxes than coffee beans....

• Italy Unemployment Rate - Trading Economics
    www.tradingeconomics.com/italy/unemployment-rate
    Apr 30, 2015 - Unemployment Rate in Italy increased to 13 percent in March of 2015 from 12.70 percent in February of 2015. Unemployment Rate in Italy ...

Because unemployment is 25% in Italy, and many can't spell "profession." Starbucks spends more on employment taxes than coffee beans....

As i speak 4 Languages and English is not my first, i dont mind little mistakes like proffesion

Do you really think anybody can be a baristo by just getting a course. Maybe in Thailand. Not in Italy. I never was in a coffeshop in Thailand where they make a cappucino the way it should be. Starbucks, a American company, is just a concept where people go to show they can pay it. Their coffee beans are of low quality, the coffees they make is terrible and their staff is not well trained. They even registered their company in the Netherlands to avoid taxes. I live in Thailand for some years now and never never drinked a good coffe here. Just reasonable. Good coffe i drink at home. Illy. Make my own foam and never find a place where i drinked any coffe simular to this.

The BEST coffee in Chiang Mai is at a small coffee shop off Ratchiangsaen Road on soi 1. The owner, Pa, uses a unique blend of 2 different coffees. Customers keep saying it's the best coffee in Chiang Mai. It is the P&B Coffee Shop.

Check out Mountain coffee, 6 soi 2 Rajvithai Rd. it's a Karen hill tribe guy. who grows he's own coffee and to my humble opinion one of the best in CM....and a nice location to, but no parking place for cars. only for bikes. can't spend a day without a coffee there...

Best regards.

There is only one country that has averige good coffee and thats Italy. Good coffe somewhere else is just ocasally, and no. I am not from Italy.

People who talk about coffee and milk. No coffee lovers. Imagine why baristo is a proffesion.

I have to say you are right about coffee in Italy.....I had a excellent cappuccino just in a petrol station. drove around Italy with the wife and never had a bad coffee.

another excellent coffee country is Portugal, had a perfect one in Lisbon in a old fashion coffee house were they had coffees from around the world....they added a little peace of chocolate to it witch made it Exquisite........

Best regards.

If anyone looking on here does the trip to immigration in Maisai the first town coming back south is called Huai Khrai , on the left is a mini Tesco Lotus ,parked on the forecourt is a coffee place run by a lovely lady called Gate. Her Cappuccino is the best I know and 35B . Had one today coming back from my visa run. All my ferlung mates say it is the best Capp. they have had

I like their blue mountain beans....

I think that Australia actually has a better coffee on average than Italy. I've lived in both countries.

No... I'm not joking.......

Iran a threat to the world, thousands dying, daily, in many countries as well as traffic fatalities mounting in Thailand along with slavery issues and new graves and you, you ask about coffee ? Oil riggers are too isolated I think !

Indeed there is much to fret about I in this world. I'm pleased to report though that, from your list, I've solved the Iran problem: I stopped watching Fox News and stopped reading Murdoch rags.

T

I think that Australia actually has a better coffee on average than Italy. I've lived in both countries.

No... I'm not joking.......

Can't speak about the coffee, but def better wine from Oz!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is garbage and moot in Thailand... these people will take a crap bean, screw it up even more roasting it and sell the coffee at 75 baht...not caring if you ever come back.
Some of THE worst coffee I have had is at W-ee coffee for 75 baht... total garbage... the best thing about their coffee is I get a good plastic cup.

I have to disagree with you on Italy.. I love the coffee in Seattle... there are some of the best roasters there and they source great beans...I always bring back 2 bags from my favorite Seattle roaster...
The next best is good coffee from Rimping and have them grind it...

Rarely have I had an excellent coffee out. However I buy coffee beans and have a mill not a grinder and choose my grind fine course etc. next I have a French press a mocha Italiano and an espresso machine. Rim ping at mechok has a respectable selection of coffee beans

I buy good coffee roasted the way I like, grind it just right and use a french press with the right temp water... this combination cannot be beat at any coffee shop in CM for my taste.
Occasionally, when in season, I will go to my favorite mountain spot outside of CM and buy locally grown/roasted coffee... &lt;deleted&gt; good.

Wow, so much passion here. Kinda like steak, wine, beer, women, cars & cognac.

What a bloody boring world it would be if we all agreed.

Guys, girls, why not just agree what's perfection to one, might be just ok to another.

Good espresso rules. just my opinion.

Cheers..... Mal.

I keep a couple of civet in the attic. Why go elsewhere

Why for the ambiance of course. There is a really delightful coffee place, sorry I can't remember the name, along the rural 4024 that sells civet coffee. You take the 1095 as you would heading to Pai and then turn right on the 4024 heading north in the town of Sop Peung and go a good 10km into the hills. Great mountain view. Whether it is the best coffee, well that debate is equivalent to debating the best khao soi, a matter of personal taste. Some people really do like Starbucks.

Another good coffee destination is just a little further up the 1095, just past the turnoff to the Mok Fa waterfall, Suan Mok Fa. The owner grows his own coffee and both food and coffee are quite good in a nice garden setting. Your wives would be pleased with either destination.

Disclaimer: I was once in the military and am happy to drink instant coffee if that is what is available for my morning caffeine fix.

The guy talking about Italy having the best coffee is actually funny. With the urban Italian/English saying, " Ima gonna tell you where you canna get the best coffee." It was great. Sure English is not your first language but you didn't convince me you were not Italian. There are a lot of great coffee cultures in the world, particularly in the Middle East, how about Turkey, where they would argue the point of who has the best coffee.

As far as it takes more than a class to make a great cappuccino, that was hilarious. If it takes more than a day or two then you might think about another business. Maybe a class, that I would love to take, but more than 1 (one) class? Maybe bean growing and cultivation, selection and roasting. Now you are talking my language.

Many countries have great coffee, great coffee cafes and shops. The secret is in the beans.

I've got a business card from a Dutch man who helped to introduce coffee to Northern Thailand in the, I think, 80s. Jacques Op de Laak. He's still around and I see him from time to time. Last time at a fund raiser at The River Market. He was working with the university to plant coffee beans in northern Thailand. I wish he would chime in here because he was instrumental in bringing coffee to northern Thailand and I do not remember all of the details of our conversation except that it was interesting for a couple of reasons.

The first reason was that he was the was the main person to introduce coffee to this region. The second reason was because he was well aquatinted with a good friend of mine in the early 90s from The Netherlands named Gerald. If anyone was around here back in the early 90s they can recall that there was no fresh coffee. Everything was instant. Gerald was the first guy who tried to get restaurants and cafe's to change to fresh coffee. He rode around on his motorbike and offered them fresh coffee beans. He offered to buy me a coffee drip machine, cheap one, we did and went through a couple of machines but we were one of the first restaurant in Chiang Mai to offer fresh brewed coffee. The name of the shop was The America Restaurant. It was open in the early 90s.

I went with Gerald into the hills around Chiang Mai back then and drove around where he would buy his coffee beans. He would take them back to his village and roast with a bicycle driven barrel over a fire. The kids who where driving the bicycle were always sitting around drinking coffee.

Gerald was the first coffee baron in Chiang Mai. Gerald was a good man and whatever you see in Chiang Mai. all the coffee shops, all the types of coffee beans, it is Gerald's legacy. OK it was Jacques that brought everything here but Gerald was out there, promoting coffee and unfortunately very few remember him. He was instrumental in bringing coffee to Chiang Mai. Gerald was coffee in Chiang Mai and if he could be her today.

Gerald had a few accounts and he would buy his beans from the hill tribes and roast them in the village. When beans were short he would buy them from a small shop on Chiang Mio street that still sells beans today.

Fast forward to today.

Most of the beans around are crap. In order to get a good bean it has to be ripe. Unfortunately most of the beans harvested here include too many unripe beans. That is Thai coffee. Most of it is crap.

Dave

I remember Gerald and The American Restaurant well and agree that he started the fresh coffee craze in Northern Thailand. He lived with a hill tribe and had a very interesting like outside the coffee world too. He died at a young age quite a while ago, but would be really shocked, if he could see all the coffee that is available here today.

I remember Gerald. I think he started coffee first up in the Wiang PaPao area with the Lahu mostly.

I agree he would be the first "coffee king" of Chiang Mai.

I have a vague recollection of hand written promos he used to produce.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Worth a try if you can find one nowadays. The traditional coffee and tea cart at the side of the road in the evenings. Strong thai coffee strained through what looks like a cotton sock. Great if you like strong coffee and condensed milk which i do. Often you can order steamed soft bread with the green pandan sauce and eat it with tiny forks. This is an exotic traditional thai coffee experience for any coffee lover visting Thailand. Seems to have gone out of fashion with the locals though.

They used to sell great cafe boran on the streets of Bangkok many years ago. The stuff you find these days is so old and stale from sitting around all day because very few people drink it now so there is little turnover. I never liked the sweetened milk so always ordered coffee without it; only regular milk if they had it. Never tried the bread dough with green sauce...never will.

Yup....a thing of the past pretty much.....

Good idea to ask them not to add the usual instant coffee powder to the coffee booran as that is at best, harsh.

Rist8to also sells imported beans (the most famous ones that every coffee aficionado knows). I think they also roast those beans themselves. They are really fanatic about it all. When we complimented the young man (who looked like he drank an enormous amount of his product) who had made our excellent lattes with very elaborate foam designs, it turned out he was the barrista champion of Thailand. My taste seems to have changed tho, I now prefer the best Thai coffees (when skillfully roasted and fresh) to my old favorites. That is, except for the superb Blue Mountain coffee my old coffee seller in Honolulu had last year. It really is in a class all by itself, and the casual use of just the name 'Blue Mountain' here in Thailand always brings a smile.......

Rist8to also sells imported beans (the most famous ones that every coffee aficionado knows). I think they also roast those beans themselves. They are really fanatic about it all. When we complimented the young man (who looked like he drank an enormous amount of his product) who had made our excellent lattes with very elaborate foam designs, it turned out he was the barrista champion of Thailand. My taste seems to have changed tho, I now prefer the best Thai coffees (when skillfully roasted and fresh) to my old favorites. That is, except for the superb Blue Mountain coffee my old coffee seller in Honolulu had last year. It really is in a class all by itself, and the casual use of just the name 'Blue Mountain' here in Thailand always brings a smile.......

If you are looking for the proper 'Blue Mountain' coffee ..... best place near here would be UCC Cafe in Bangkok at Ekamai BTS.

They will do you a real Blue Mountain in a siphon and you will be a very happy chappy.

Edited by mcm991